Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Knoxville live audio coverage with local flair.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knoxville live audio coverage with local flair.

Want to listen to the Nationals with local flavor from the Knoxville broadcast team? Tune in to KNIA-KRLS for non-stop live coverage all 4 nights. They did a great job last night. I listen to them every year to get a break from DirtVision. Nothing wrong with DV, its just nice to hear a different voice with insight on local teams/drivers and who give more cred to the travelers who towed in from different states. In other words - its NOT a WoO focused broadcast to be politically correct. :-)

Tune in here: http://streamdb7web.securenetsystems.net/v5/KNIA
    Listen to our station on your computer or mobile device!
    ~~ Connect with me on LinkedIn ~~
    http://www.linkedin.com/in/bryanautullo

Good luck to all the Ohio teams who made the tow West. Looking forward to seeing what Byron Reed can do tonight! Paige Polyak won her heat race last night after making the qualifying inversion - which some very good drivers failed to do. I like to see the underdogs do well.

Dingus quote seen on Facebook: "What if Byron Reed shows up with a white car and a black number 5?"
    ~~ Connect with me on LinkedIn ~~
    http://www.linkedin.com/in/bryanautullo

Comment

Originally posted by Swamp View Post
      Good luck to all the Ohio teams who made the tow West. Looking forward to seeing what Byron Reed can do tonight! Paige Polyak won her heat race last night after making the qualifying inversion - which some very good drivers failed to do. I like to see the underdogs do well.

Dingus quote seen on Facebook: "What if Byron Reed shows up with a white car and a black number 5?"
      I realize the inversion is based on points and all that factors in, but to me having the fastest car starting 8th in a heat race is plain dumb. If a heat race doesn't have a caution it takes way to much for the fast cars to get to the front in that short of distance of I believe 8 laps especially if the track isn't very wide at the beginning of the event like normal.

Also don't like that Knoxville features are only 25 laps as well and (IMO) should be 30 laps to give some teams a chance to move up from bad starting spots.

Good for Paige being from Tiffin for doing well, but also helps starting on the front row as well.

Comment

Good job, Paige Polyak. Does anybody understand the format at the Nationals? Does she have a realistic chance of making the feature Saturday night. Does Byron? Good luck to both teams.

Comment

~~
          Originally posted by ErocWolverine View Post
          I realize the inversion is based on points and all that factors in, but to me having the fastest car starting 8th in a heat race is plain dumb. If a heat race doesn't have a caution it takes way to much for the fast cars to get to the front in that short of distance of I believe 8 laps especially if the track isn't very wide at the beginning of the event like normal.
          Also don't like that Knoxville features are only 25 laps as well and (IMO) should be 30 laps to give some teams a chance to move up from bad starting spots.
          Good for Paige being from Tiffin for doing well, but also helps starting on the front row as well.
          Originally posted by racemak View Post
          Good job, Paige Polyak. Does anybody understand the format at the Nationals? Does she have a realistic chance of making the feature Saturday night. Does Byron? Good luck to both teams.
          I'm pretty well versed in the Knoxville Nationals format. I made myself an Excel "program" for both the 360 and 410 Nationals that calculates lineups and points just by following the action and entering the results of qualifying and the races each night. Helps me follow along and feel like I'm part of the show even though I don't make it out there very often.

The Wed. and Thurs. heat races are lined up just like an All Star race - by time trials only with a bigger inversion. The points don't factor into the lineups on preliminary nights, just for the A and B on Saturday. Paige qualified 37th last night and with an 8 inversion that put her on the pole of heat 2. No shame in winning the heat from there, it's happened numerous times over the years and by more famous drivers (such as Greg Hodnett in last night's heat 5).

Eroc, the heats are 10 laps instead of 8 and the inversion was 10 until a decade or so ago. There's always been an issue with the narrow track in the heats especially on Wed., but a lot of people will tell you that the format as-is creates some of the best racing you see all year in those heat races. Part of the fun of the week is to see which quick qualifiers don't make the transfer to the A from the heats and have to really work hard for their points on preliminary nights. Makes for very exciting B-Mains also. And regarding the prelim feature length - Hodnett had time to move from 20th to 6th, and Dollansky went from 24th to 11th so there is plenty of time to move forward in 25 laps.

The format was changed a few years ago to make Friday a more exciting night during the week, and it's really worked. The way the overall format works is that the top 16 in points after Thurs. are locked into Saturday's A-Main. 17-26 are then given an option - they can either stand on their point totals and run the B-Main on Saturday (17th in points would start on the pole), or they can forego their points and join the rest of the non-qualifiers in Friday's races. I don't think there's been more than a few teams who have foregone their points (I can actually only think of one), so essentially if you are 27th or higher in points after Thursday then you'll be racing again on Friday. Paige's point total from Wednesday already has her at 27th on the list, so she'll be running again on Friday. The carrot on Friday is that the top 4 finishers earn starting spots 16-20 in the Saturday A-Main, so there is real incentive to race hard. 5th on back from Friday fill in the back end of Saturday's B-Main through E-Main lineups exactly how they finished from Friday.

Paige still has a chance to get to the A but it'll be a tough road. She'll have to deal with Brian Brown, Paul McMahan, Jason Sides, Logan Schuchart, Greg Hodnett and probably Danny Holtgraver and Rico Abreu. And that's just the heavy hitters that had a rough night last night. Add in whomever doesn't do well tonight and it makes Friday a really, really interesting night of racing. Byron's chances are completely in his own hands tonight (or as much as they can be in sprint car racing).

Comment

Thanks, Jake. Great post.

Comment

Thank you, racemak. Paige ended up 53rd overall in points out of 107. Top half of the field but still has to run again on Friday. Byron was 92nd overall. Kemenah is locked into the A in 6th, Dale Blaney will most likely start the B in 2nd, Gary Taylor in the 1ST will start the B in 6th. Wild Child was close but he'll have to run Friday as will Cap Henry and Joey Saldana.

It just came to mind that under the old Friday system Paige would have been on the pole for one of the non-qualifier heats. They still use that system if they're forced to run non-qualifiers on Saturday afternoon, so if Friday rains out that's where she'd end up. But that's big "what if" right now.

Comment

Working...
              X