• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winged sprint car racing returns to Sandusky County Fair

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    Friday, Aug. 19, 2016
    Contact Rich Farmer – fremontspeedway@yahoo.com

FREMONT, Ohio – Winged sprint car racing will return to the Sandusky County Fair in Fremont, Ohio for the first time in 40 years. The event – featuring 305 sprint cars – will open the fair on Tuesday, Aug. 23 on the clay oval of the historic Fremont Speedway.

Thanks to Joe and Fran Darmofal, the event will pay $1,200 to win the 30 lap feature and $175 to start. Also, thanks to Steve Klisz, the ladies dirt truck powder puff race will pay $500 to win.

The 305 sprint car event is open to any legal 305 sprint car in the country. Fremont Speedway has hosted racing since 1951 and the last time sprint cars raced on “The Track That Action Built” during the fair was 1976.

“We are hearing some of the 410 sprint car drivers are securing rides for this event and even some cars from out of the area are coming in. The more the merrier. This event will expose our great sport to new fans. It also is nostalgic for our long time fans who remember how special the fair race used to be,” said Rich Farmer, Fremont Speedway Promoter.

Admission is $8 to get into the fairgrounds which offers all the sites, sounds and fun of the fair. Admission into the race is just $7.

Farmer wants to remind race teams of the following logistics:
    • The pits will be in the lot of the old sugar beet plant at the intersection of Haynes Ave. and N. Front Street. Pits will be open at 4 p.m. and pit passes are required.
    • Cars and equipment will be shuttled into the track’s infield. Trailers and trucks will be made available to transport the equipment into the infield
    • NO ATV’S will be allowed in the infield. Teams that have small utility trailers may put them in the infield.

“We are planning a unique format for this special race,” said Farmer.

Farmer said once the races are complete, teams will be allowed to bring their trailers to the infield to load their equipment.

Hot laps will take place around 6:15 p.m. with racing under way at 7 p.m. The track’s grandstands will open at 5 p.m.

For more information contact Farmer at 419-307-4241 or go to www.fremontohspeedway.com

i wish I didn't live 2 and half hours away or I would definetly be there.

Comment

Fair food and sprint car racing is a win/win combination. I'll be there.

Comment

The weather forecast couldn't get much better, the car count ( from all indications ) should be excellent, and with the season's highest 305 payoff, combined with the down home atmosphere of a County Fair, this should be a great evening of entertainment. Come on out to enjoy and to help make this an annual event. The Fair Board is promoting this one so attendance will be important. Thank you for reading this.

Comment

Maybe the fair board should promote all races.

Comment

Thanks to all the fans ( and hopefully many new fans ) who supported last night's Fair Race. A very nice crowd was on hand. Thanks to all 37 race teams for their participation, and thanks to the Fair Board for giving this concept their support. Thanks also to those who contributed to the already enchanced purse by adding more money throughout the night, enabling the Main Event to pay $ 2,000 to the winner, Paul Weaver. Last night was a very positive experience in an industry which seems to be struggling at times. Now I'm hoping this will once again become an annual event as it was until 1976. A county fair and an auto race - an American tradition.

Comment

Yes, it was a wonderful day and evening! It was great for us old folks who attended the sprint car races at the fair 40 or more years ago! The whole atmosphere was electric with the glowing lights and sounds of both fairgoers and the rides in the midway off turn 4. It was fun to see the cars in the infield, again. Back in the day, they parked the race cars in the infield but they all were on open trailers. Of coarse, I can remember the flagman starting the races standing in the middle of the track! It was great to hear the announcements as the purse continued to climb during the feature thanks to the generosity of many fans of Fremont Speedway racing. The powder puff truck racing was very entertaining and would have never been possible without many owners stepping up and letting the girls race in their trucks. Overall, I guess it was, indeed, a great overall experience for me and a lot of other fans. Without the cooperation of both Rich Farmer and the Sandusky County Fair Board it would have never happened. I hope it was a great experience for both those parties that made it happen. Hopefully, the 2016 Sandusky County Fair races will be back for many years to come!

Comment

I hope the Fair Race returns next year and becomes an annual event.

Comment

Working...
                X