No announcement yet.

Mansfield Motor Speedway

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drove 3 hours, pull in parking lot, and hear the words........cancelled..........drive 3 hours home. Sunday Funday lol

Comment

• I don't know if you went in but they did make the right call, there was still a bit of standing water at the bottom of turns 3/4. They should have made the call earlier, but I'm glad they at least gave it a shot. I drove to bowling green (2hrs) then late saturday night my girlfriend and I drove to my house (1hr and 15) in seperate cars and then rode together over to Mansfield (20 min). We got in sat down and they cancelled but at least we can use the rain check for tthree different races. I then drove back to Dayton (2hrs and 15 back). I kinda went through hoops to get there but I kinda saw the writing on the wall when I got there. Seemed like they really tried there best just couldn't get the moisture ran out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jay72c View Post
        Drove 3 hours, pull in parking lot, and hear the words........cancelled..........drive 3 hours home. Sunday Funday lol
        I feel your pain Jay72c. Though I didn't even try to make it this weekend to Mansfield, I have had a number of experiences like this with following racing for 50+ years. In my opinion this promoter is doing himself no favors by disappointing people by not having a track surface in racing conditions. He would be better served in cancelling the next race this weekend and dedicating as much time as possible to getting the clay worked in for a solid foundation and then and only then plan of racing.

His promotional trail has a number of ruts in it and he continues to make mistakes that he might never be able to recover from. Racers and fans will be more aware of this as time goes on and if it don't improve this venture just might never get off of the ground. I hope he takes the time needed to get these issues corrected. I for one won't be making the 3+ hour trip over before he does.

Comment

• Yeah when you start a new venture reputation is everything. By their article on their website and social media, they talked about how great their drainage was.......bla bla bla so the track not being ready was the last thing on my mind. To arrive and have that happen really rubbed me the wrong way.

Comment

• Their website has a " contact " section wherein you can e mail them with comments, providing you give them your e mail address and phone number. I thought " what the hell " and decided to fill in the info and send them my 2 cents worth ( politely ). If enough people supply feedback in a non confrontational manner, perhaps some immediate improvements will be made to address the rather lengthy list of issues which have been pointed out in this forum. Worse case scenario is they decline to implement improvements, which is ok, since we have numerous other tracks in operation. There is an old saying in business : " Survival is not mandatory ".

Comment

• One thing I can give them credit on is there were significant improvements from week 1 on stuff I heard people give constructive criticism on. More urinals were functioning toward turn 4 (not all, but I believe 4 or 5 more). They had all ticket windows open and clearly labeled lines for Pit pass, reserved seating, general admission, will call, etc. They also added an additional checkout cashier for the food line, which would certainly speed that up. I'm not sure if the turn 1 bathrooms were up and running yet and I wasn't there long enough to see if they took out the tractor tires in turn 1 and 2. One things for sure though the track wouldn't have been dusty! lol

Comment

• Well i am giving them no credit. Everyone that showed up Sunday was false advertised about the drainage and the track being ready. Certain people even told the promoter to cancel the show at 10-11am. I have no sympathy but will be the first to applaud them if they turn things around and I hope they do.

Comment

• When it was cancelled Saturday, they should not have tried to have a raindate the next day.
                  Always a failure.
                  This coming week not much better weather wise.
                  Hope they make the right decision to cancel if they have not got the track raceable.
                  They should then concentrate on getting the track handled and the rest of the improvements before the All Star race. Show the people a great racing facility so they come back.
                  Have the employees better trained or get an experienced person in there to teach them.

Comment

• Originally posted by RRacer70 View Post
                    When it was cancelled Saturday, they should not have tried to have a raindate the next day.
                    Always a failure.
                    This coming week not much better weather wise.
                    Hope they make the right decision to cancel if they have not got the track raceable.
                    They should then concentrate on getting the track handled and the rest of the improvements before the All Star race. Show the people a great racing facility so they come back.
                    Have the employees better trained or get an experienced person in there to teach them.
                    I sent them an e mail about the inexperienced personnel situation. Suggested they re-evaluate that and hire some people who actually know something rather than those who claim to know something. In a new environment like that, they need some very seasoned personnel. Not saying they don't have any currently, but that they need additional, knowledgeable help.

Comment

• Ive emailed then 3 times and they never returned any. They have poor PR.

Comment

• Based on everything that has transpired, this is looking like a typical suitcase promoter situation. An out of towner comes in and leases a facility to promote events, and hopes that all of the stars will align and a profit will be had. I'm hoping to be wrong here, so let's see how it plays out. All is not lost yet, but some significant and lasting improvements are needed ( and quickly ).

Comment

• I like the various opinions being shared on Mansfield after being open for around 10 days so thought I better get my 2 cents. I feel they will be just fine as they have started out with some really rotten luck on the weather. Actually appears they pulled opening night off pretty well considering all the "new track" bugs one would expect and remember they were ripping up asphalt just a few short weeks ago. I know last weekend clearly ended up a cluster but I give them a pass for trying to get it in. I think several people have noted that with the new dirt down, it is not reacting the same as a "seasoned" dirt track and that appears to have thrown them a big curve ball. As Racing's V says above, "All is not lost yet..." but the new Promoter is behind the 8 Ball and needs to get it right the next time they swing open the gates.

Comment

• Originally posted by Racing's Vigilante View Post
                            Based on everything that has transpired, this is looking like a typical suitcase promoter situation. An out of towner comes in and leases a facility to promote events, and hopes that all of the stars will align and a profit will be had. I'm hoping to be wrong here, so let's see how it plays out. All is not lost yet, but some significant and lasting improvements are needed ( and quickly ).
                            Way to early (IMO) to make to big of assumptions this early in the process especially with the weather we have had lately. The weather was actually better in February than the entire month of March and so far in April.

The problem for Mansfield at least this year is they only have so many dates to get it right or pull off a good show and they was putting a lot of stock in the early shows to make it work and generate some buzz. They only have 10 racing events (8 racing weekends) this year and already on #3 this weekend. With this weekends event looking iffy and if they don't make any of these early events up they only have 2 more sprint car weekends.

The bad part about last weekend was it seemed like a lot more USAC guys were coming or made the trip and not sure they will again especially if the weather is iffy and that could be said about other traveling teams and the fan-base.

I am hoping that the All-Stars add them to Ohio Speedweek date after seeing how the May 28th date goes, but will that be to late or does the track even want the open date right now? Hopefully the All-Star date they have now works well for both Mansfield and the All-Stars and have great success.

After this weekends race or not having a race ... they only have 2-3 more dates that interest me. Granted I am a lot more picky about certain events than other race fans on what I like to spend my entertainment dollars on and what I want to see. The All-Star race is one I am looking forward at right now and hope they can work the bugs out before this event because it could be a huge weekend of sprint car racing and could get a huge following too. I am interested in the Lucas Oil event, but not sure I will go that far on a Sunday without knowing more details such as start time, and other divisions, etc... The last event is the Great Lakes Dirt Nationals, but again a lot will depend on who might be attending this event, what other divisions, etc... again that is the Knoxville Nationals weekend.

Other tracks have a entire season to either get it right or make it right ... they have a entire season to make up for a bad show, rain-outs, iffy weather, etc... Mansfield doesn't have the luxury this year.

Comment

• Video of Carmen Perigo Jr during the non wing feature at Mansfield on opening night! Thought some of you would like to see it. Minutes 1:45-3:30 or so are blotted out by mud but the rest is good.

Comment

• Mansfield is cancelled for this Saturday from facebook.
                                Part 2 & 3 are rescheduled for July snd August.
                                I believe this is a very smart move on their part. This way they can make and finish up improvements to the track before the All Star race.
                                Hopefully this will bring them in good crowds and car counts so they stay in operation.
                                Better to have this track up and running then to end up like Lakeville bulldozed and gone.
                                I have not really checked into the make up dates to see if it conflicts with any other shows.

GTiger55 thanks for sharing the video.

Comment

Working...
                                X