Mansfield Motor Speedway

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My thoughts on the place.
    I had forgotten how big the facility was. They had done amazing work on reopening just going by all the cleanup that had been done. What they did in the short time to be ready was great.

The size of the facility alone requires manpower.
    It was too bad they did not get more restrooms and concessions up and running as they were desperately needed. The ticket booth should have been opened earlier and more windows open.
    People were leaving to go into town and buy food as they did not want to stand in line. Maybe they should have brought in outside vendors.
    A shuttle service would be nice as they ran out of parking and you had to park extremely far away.

I expected trouble with the track surface. It was new dirt brought in and always trouble with that to get it right the first few nights knowing how to grade it and how much water it will take. So that was something they need to correct and they will.They just need to have more moisture in it at the beginning of the night but they will figure that out.
    I did expect to see a higher turn out of late models for the money. Using the UMP rule did not draw them in. Seemed most of the lates were Hilltop and WCS cars. Did not like seeing how the cars dropped out from rough track conditions. I was anticipating a good race of Markham, Drown, Conley, Irey, Gentry and Noonan for the lead.

Sprint counts were what I thought they would be.
    Fremont and Attica cars dont travel like they used to in the 1980s 1990s and 2000s. Just a handful these days. Also some drivers avoid the bigger track size due to motors and wear on car. Non wing seemed like a lot of Boss cars. Did think we would have seen a few more all star cars. My guess with other tracks opening up, car count willnot rise ssignificantly until a series comes.

Noticed there was lots of safety crews but they seemed afraid to go on track and just not sure how well trained they would be for race cars. Saw a lot of employees with track shirts in various areas just seeming to do nothing. Too bad they were not put to better use parking cars and such is my thought. Saw other workers very busy. The guys on the back track exit gate seemed on the ball and did a good job. The flagman did a decent job actually really good considering he had no assistant. Now the lineups coming out onto the track seemed out of order and it took up time trying to get them in order. For every race that adds up to a lot of minutes. Attica and WCS have them and the next race lined up ready to go where they could learn s lot from. No having to line them up on the track. Seemed the pits were lacking in areas of trained personnel maybe just need training.
    Most disappointing was the announcer they made a point of putting on fb. During the down time was radio silence. This would have been a good time telling us about reopening the track and history , driver Info, upcoming events talk to audience. Something to keep people busy during down time. people around me were complaining about this and they thought they should have been getting updates. Hard to hear announcer during race. I loaded race monitor just to get driver names and lineups when someone mentioned it was working. I went by that instead of announcer when I could not hear him.
    SIDENOTE RACE MONITOR IS WONDERFUL FOR THE TRACKS THAT USE IT THANK YOU.
    WELL WORTH BUYING OR GETTING IT FREE IF YOU CAN.
    The owner made a great decision with no time trials and eliminating b mains with all starting the feature.
    I think he will keep improving. Having one of the sanctions there may show him better how they handle their procedures. It can only get better I hope.
    Enjoyed the racing. Glad to see the old school racing by Jac. He made the show a standout. Caleb Helms has alot of talent. All the drivers did a great job not crashing each other and putting on a show. Sprint feature 26 laps of green until Jacs tire. Best non wing show I have seen so far.
    All in all had a good time. Saw old friends. Weather was decent. Will definitely go to tje next show.
    Glad to see it back up and running. Though I see it being a specials only track because of size of facility.

Comment

• RRacer70 ... good thoughts and I agree with you about the late models and disappointed in the 410 Attica/Fremont/Fast guys not showing up either because if they can't make it to this event when no other racing is going on then why would they go to Mansfield for the other shows which includes a FAST event -- if nothing else you would think they would use it as a test session since most haven't ever driven Mansfield before.

I actually thought we would have seen a huge late model count to be honest with not many places running and one of the bigger regular late model show purses/to win purse in Ohio. Sad that the Oakshade/Attica late models didn't make the trip or most of them especially when the purse was significantly higher than any Oakshade/Attica regular show purse.

Originally posted by JK47 View Post
      Erocs hobby is ripping tracks even if he don't attend. He claims to love the sport of dirt track racing but every time something at a track doesn't go the way he thinks it should he gets on here and criticizes them. I find it funny that he didn't attend Mansfield yet wants to chime in and tell everyone what happened. I did attend and have no complaints. The track wasn't right they addressed it and the racing was great. I attended both Attica and Mansfield and had a great time. I would bet Eroc is the guy that sits and bitches the whole time he is there.
      It is funny how you attack me, but you don't attack the other 6-7 posters here who actually said worse things than I did, agreed with my points, or even included more points of concern for Mansfield to look at.

The problem with posters like you is you always want the "rainbow and lollipop" version and never want to say what is wrong or needs fixed. The problem with that version is if the track personnel or the owners doesn't get "GOOD FEEDBACK" than how is he going to fix the problems. If you think standing in line that had probably 300 -400 people is a good thing when they could of had more lines opened up your crazy especially in one of the photos where the line was still huge and you could see the dust flying in the background that the hotlaps were going on.

Yes, I admitted I didn't attend the Mansfield race because I had to work till 4pm on Saturday and by the time I get home and cleaned up I wouldn't have been able to leave my house till 5:00pm and it is still an hour drive south for me. Yea, maybe if I knew the track was going to be bad and not watered and they was going to take a 1 1/2 hour break to work the track I might have went down to the event. Sorry I am not as good of fan as you are because you went to the event, but if you looked at this thread at all you would see that I followed along with the entire event and posted many twitter reactions along with photos.

As I mentioned as well that several of my buddies that I usually go to the races with or see at the races attended this event and used that new invention called the smartphone to send me photos, text, and even a couple of calls during the down time.

If anything I have been very positive toward Mansfield in this entire thread and even got called out by a few posters when I said as soon as they open up they are going to be the #2 best track for facilities in Ohio. Some of the things they will get fixed or worked out and I am confident they will, but the one problem is "first impressions" make a big deal especially if they have a lot of new fans coming to the track along with the fact that Mansfield is running a limited schedule this year they don't have a lot of opportunities to get it right and keep those fans happy and returning.

I agree with some other posters that Mansfield (and a lot of other tracks) could learn some little things from a place like Attica ... just small little things can make a huge difference in a fans eyes such as starting on time, having the cars lined up so your not messing around getting them lined up correctly or taking extra laps on the track, etc.... I hope they learn to get more concessions, restrooms, and ticket windows opened because that would solve a lot of their minor issues ... some of that problem might simply be not having enough or hiring enough staff at this time.

Comment

• Ahhhh...I love that Pit Gate is back. All the positives and negatives...but at least we're all talking about racing again. So much better to follow a thread here than on Twitter or Facebook!
        ~~ Connect with me on LinkedIn ~~
        http://www.linkedin.com/in/bryanautullo

Comment

• The hour and half break between the heats and A mains with no track prep or any thing going on is what I didnt understand. I get the first night problems but that was not a first night problem.

Comment

• it was over by midnight. wcs ,hilltop and mercer aren't over till around midnight majority of the time either. wcs is famous for water truck laps to sell hotdogs as my friend always says. lol.

Comment

• I'd say there was at least 6,500 general admission tickets sold. I do plan on going back in August.

So it wasn't bad getting out after the races ?

Comment

• Originally posted by mudinmybeer View Post
                it was over by midnight. wcs ,hilltop and mercer aren't over till around midnight majority of the time either. wcs is famous for water truck laps to sell hotdogs as my friend always says. lol.
                It helped that they cancelled a 1/3 of the event as well ... which I agree with on cancelling qualifying along with the B-Mains. Would have been easily another 1 1/2-2 hours if they didn't. That was probably the smartest decision by the staff.

Comment

• If people want to know how to run a dirt track, just arrive at Attica thursday afternoon and take notes until the races are over friday night.

Comment

• Originally posted by mudinmybeer View Post
                    it was over by midnight. wcs ,hilltop and mercer aren't over till around midnight majority of the time either. wcs is famous for water truck laps to sell hotdogs as my friend always says. lol.
                    I can't recall once last year when Wayne County wasn't finished by 10:30. Hell I remember several nights when we lined up for the feature with the sun still out.

Comment

• It was good to see the Harble Motorsports cars at Mansfield. It was nice to see WCS cars there.
                      There were a few late nights at Wayne County but those were nights when the sprints were not racing. One night was a very long delay as they had 2 people in the stands have to be transported to the hospital. One person had a seizure and I believe another tripped and fell and broke a leg or something. I remember they had to wait for the squads to arrive after the track rescue had taken care of them. I believe that night they went right up to the curfew.
                      As for the water truck, they would hit the track with it lightly to keep the track conditions good. I think they had some of the best track surfaces last year, give or take a night.
                      I don't think WCS gets the praise they deserve sometimes as they work with a significantly smaller crew and I think they move the show along nicely. Cars are lined up and ready to go when they hit the track. The crew there also would be an asset to Mansfield if they worked there.
                      I think one of the biggest problem they had last year was electrical issues that caused a few delays. Every year they they have improved something at the track. Last year was the handicap accessable area built. I see them trying very hard to build up.

Comment

• There have been a lot of very good posts on the reopening of Mansfield and it is good to see Pitgate getting more viewership. But, let's avoid launching World War 3 by lambasting posters. Everyone has their own opinion ( key word " opinion " ) and some will agree and some will not. I don't think those who post what is perceived by others as negative comments, or bashing, or whining, or chronic complaining, are attempting to assasinate the track and shut it down. I do believe ( again- " opinion " ) that if problems exist with something but everyone gives rave / rah rah reviews, then it will give the impression that no improvements are needed. Thus, history will repeat itself. I've seen many tracks close and then reopen, only to implode a second time within a year or two due to numerous issues which caused mass irritation among the paying customers. So, let's move forward with the realization that opinions are simply that, and that there is such a thing as constructive criticism, especially from people who are concerned about the future of racing. Personally, I don't think ( here's the " opinion " word again ) that we need another race track around when there are others that are struggling, but I wish them well anyway. " Just an opinion ".

Comment

• Eroc the reason i say something to you is because you want to rip tracks for the evening not running smoothly and you weren't even there. I was there and they have a few things to work out. Unlike you I looked up Mr. Sommers and talked to him personally. I didn't get on pitgate and bash them after their first night. He knows all too well what went right with the evening and what went wrong. By the way I enjoyed both nights of racing this weekend. Why do you get so offensive when it gets pointed out how negative you always are towards every track except Attica? I've offered to meet you face to face and I'll make that offer again as I plan on going back to Mansfield Saturday. If you would like to talk in person, name the time and area and I'd be happy to meet you there.

Comment

• I think I might be able to come back for the 8th, I'm hoping anyways. Don't want to wait until May for that track to be back.

Comment

• The weather for the upcoming race this Saturday does not seem to be calling for rain but not as high temperature.
                              I look forward to see what improvements they have made.
                              it will be interesting to see what cars return and what new cars show up.
                              Once they have that facility whipped back
                              into shape with all the restrooms and concessions put back in use plus adding more ticket lines, it will be an amazing place.
                              Just the right type of place to hold these large special events.

Comment

• Originally posted by RRacer70 View Post
                                The weather for the upcoming race this Saturday does not seem to be calling for rain but not as high temperature.
                                I look forward to see what improvements they have made.
                                it will be interesting to see what cars return and what new cars show up.
                                Once they have that facility whipped back
                                into shape with all the restrooms and concessions put back in use plus adding more ticket lines, it will be an amazing place.
                                Just the right type of place to hold these large special events.
                                Agree 100% with you if all those things are corrected.

Comment

Working...
                                X