April Fool's Day ARP vs. MMS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mud Packer View Post

Thank you. They have still not changed the website to indicate it is cancelled. I hope no one goes thinking they are running.
    http://www.mansfieldmotorspeedway.co...crownapril2nd/

Round 2 of Triple Crown Spring Series at Mansfield Motor Speedway Postponed to Sunday April 2nd

Round 2 of Triple Crown Spring Series at Mansfield Motor Speedway Postponed to Sunday April 2nd

Throughout the week, heavy rain has moved through the region forcing the 2nd round of the Triple Crown Spring Series to be postponed to Sunday April 2nd. Mansfield Motor Speedway officials have been evaluating the venue and are pleased with how things look and are optimistic that getting the racing surface prepared for a Sunday April 2nd event look very positive.

Racing across the region has seen many cancellations for this weekend. However, Mansfield Motor Speedway has many facility features that allow for it to withstand more rainfall than many others.

“We have been watching the track more than anything. Our public parking is for the majority all gravel. Our pits have asphalt driveways and concrete parking pads, with trucks and trailers sitting on gravel, these are all areas that fortunately for us, with heavy rain we do not have to worry much. Even on the race track we have drainage that goes around the entire surface and down into our infield, setting us up with the ability to take a lot of abuse and still have an opportunity to race” Said Mansfield Motor Speedway President Cody Sommer.

“The racing surface looks good but we do need some more time to allow things on track to dry more and get worked in for a Sunday show. We want to provide a track that presents great racing and we have confidence we can do that with a little more time and mother nature on our side” Said Sommer.

The forecast for Sunday appears to be very good with 60 degree temperatures, Sun and no rain expected, teeing up the 2nd round of the Triple Crown Spring Series for success. Taking to the speedway will be 410 Winged Sprint Cars $5,000 to Win, Super Late Models $5,000 to Win and Non-Wing Sprint Cars $5,000 to Win.

It is important for the speedway staff to assemble an efficient show that gets fans and competitors home earlier.

The Sunday April 2nd show will start earlier with the overall goal of getting competitors and fans home earlier.

Pit Gates Open 11a.m.
    Driver’s Meeting 1p.m.
    Spectator Gates Open 1p.m.
    Engine Warm Ups 1:30p.m.
    2p.m. On track racing begins.

For More Information please visit www.MansfieldMotorSpeedway.com or call the speedway hotline at 419-465-RACE (7223)

Comment

Unfortunately I saw on another board that they had to cancel Sunday because they couldn't get the racing surface in shape to run. When the whole deal came up about Mansfield returning to dirt I questioned on Pitgate how they were going to get the racing surface into racing shape in such a short period of time. Adding to that was that they were trying to do this all in winter weather and from my understanding no one with a lot of track prep experience on board.

Not trying to belabor the point, but with such an ambitious undertaking with 3 early season shows with three different types of race cars, they might just be way in over their heads here. In my opinion it might be better to cancel racing until they have had some time to get the racing surface packed in and worked in. They can't be making many people too happy with the first night being a very late night of racing after having to start over on track prep and then this weekend postponing from Saturday night to Sunday and then not being able to get the track worked in in order to be able to race. People showing up expecting to race and watch a race and having a track that couldn't be prepared. Canceling is never easy but sometimes it becomes a necessity.

In reading the press release that Eroc posted above, the promoter acknowledged that they had work to do but that the track was superior to others and it would be done. Cody is putting a lot of pressure on by failing to live up to the high expectations that he promised. How many times will fans support a track and promoter when they continue to disappoint? Looking at this weeks weather forecast certainly doesn't present a very promising picture. More rain in the forecast which can't help the track work the surface like it needs to be. Let's hope for the best.

Comment

What did " 2 PM - On track racing begins " mean ?. If they were going to fire motors at 1.30, how could " on track racing " begin a half hour later ? I'm finding a lot of humor in all of these goings on. Please Mr. promoter - use standard racing terminology. Hot laps at X PM, time trials at X PM, first race at X PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mud Packer View Post
          Unfortunately I saw on another board that they had to cancel Sunday because they couldn't get the racing surface in shape to run. When the whole deal came up about Mansfield returning to dirt I questioned on Pitgate how they were going to get the racing surface into racing shape in such a short period of time. Adding to that was that they were trying to do this all in winter weather and from my understanding no one with a lot of track prep experience on board.

Not trying to belabor the point, but with such an ambitious undertaking with 3 early season shows with three different types of race cars, they might just be way in over their heads here. In my opinion it might be better to cancel racing until they have had some time to get the racing surface packed in and worked in. They can't be making many people too happy with the first night being a very late night of racing after having to start over on track prep and then this weekend postponing from Saturday night to Sunday and then not being able to get the track worked in in order to be able to race. People showing up expecting to race and watch a race and having a track that couldn't be prepared. Canceling is never easy but sometimes it becomes a necessity.

In reading the press release that Eroc posted above, the promoter acknowledged that they had work to do but that the track was superior to others and it would be done. Cody is putting a lot of pressure on by failing to live up to the high expectations that he promised. How many times will fans support a track and promoter when they continue to disappoint? Looking at this weeks weather forecast certainly doesn't present a very promising picture. More rain in the forecast which can't help the track work the surface like it needs to be. Let's hope for the best.
          The only issue I have with the Sunday show is ... wish they would have either cancelled ahead of time, early in the morning before teams/fans making the trip- being in their seats/working on their cars, or just kept working the track in and see what happens with the sun being out and use the no qualifying and right to heat races like the first night. I was almost there when I heard the news and somebody sent me a picture of the track. We was waiting around to the last minute to decide to go or not and started to head down late because we was wondering if they would get it in or not and was hoping some of the fans/teams would have sent pictures of the track being worked in ahead of time before we left.

Most tracks in this area probably would have simply cancelled ahead of time (because they know how their tracks react to the temps and rain) and maybe that is something they will learn overtime. If not than some fans who travel long distances along with racing teams will likely not attempt the show the next time weather is "iffy" or we have a lot of rain in the forecast ahead of time like this week presents.

Mansfield only has so many dates this year so I can understand why they want to try and make them work. I give them a lot of credit for doing it. They will learn more and more about their track surface as they keep working it, seeing what happens with shows being run on it, and how much rain their track can take. Once warmer weather hits these type of things won't be as big of an issue, but the problem is they don't have as many shows during that time.

I wish them luck and likely will see them for the All-Star show ... I am already counting next week a wash-out from the forecast ahead of time.

Originally posted by Racing's Vigilante View Post
          What did " 2 PM - On track racing begins " mean ?. If they were going to fire motors at 1.30, how could " on track racing " begin a half hour later ? I'm finding a lot of humor in all of these goings on. Please Mr. promoter - use standard racing terminology. Hot laps at X PM, time trials at X PM, first race at X PM.
          I believe somewhere else they was using a 3:00pm racing start.

Comment

A friend of mine called from the track. He said the water truck got a cut tire so they did not have that and spent most of the morning trying to find a replacement. Then guess the roadgrader went down. He heard that many of the run in trucks unable to be there.
            37 sprints were signed in. 20 late models and 20+ non wing. Heard cars from PA IN WV NY.
            He said inexperienced track prep workers was a big issue also. That new dirt has not been packed enough to get a good base to work on. The dirt was rolling up and making deep ruts.
            The sad thing was a good car count would have made quite a show.
            Also when they cancelled Saturday and threw in that raindate was a big no. They need to have the raindate advertised along with the show orvthey will not get the grandstand crowd to pay the bills. I have seen lots of tracks do that when new promoters and lose big money on those nights.
            They did say more restrooms and food vendors brought into the track.
            I just hope they can make a go of it. Great facility.

Comment

The track was uraceable when the pit gates opened. They had 545 backed up both ways because they didn't open the pit gates until 11:30. Cars started loading up after they watched the tractor show. No equipment would of had the track ready to race. It should have been called before 11. I hope they get the right people in there that know how to do track prep for the Allstar show.

Comment

Sunday Funday! LOL

Comment

I think Mansfield needs to focus on the may all-star show. Get the track in shape and have a few test and tunes or a small Sunday show with street stocks. No way there running this weekend even if the weather changes and with other tracks opening the next few weekends the triple crown isn't going to get cars with the issues at the track. I knew soon i got in to the stands the track wasnt going to be raceable. I tried to post the pics of the track on pitgate but couldnt do so with my phone so i tweeted the pic to eroc. I was happy they gave refunds at the gate so I wouldn't be forced to come back whatever day they decided to make it up. I'll probably come to the all-star show since they have a brand and hopefully things are worked out by then with the track surface. If they want to schedule more races or reschedule the triple crown they should look to the end of the year. Weathers been better in October the last few years.

Comment

Pros:
                    More restroom facilities were open and working
                    Opened up a second checkout line for concessions
                    Many more lines for purchasing tickets, clearly labeled now
                    Tried their best to get the show in
                    good car count if they were able to run

Cons:
                    Wish they called the race at about 12:30-1

They'll get it right, just no way they'd been able to race on it Sunday even though they tried. I'm glad I did see some improvements in the facility from one week to the next. Also, the rain check tickets are valid for the April 8th race, the All star race, and if they make up this race whatever date they do that.

Comment

Originally posted by mudinmybeer View Post
                      I think Mansfield needs to focus on the may all-star show. Get the track in shape and have a few test and tunes or a small Sunday show with street stocks. No way there running this weekend even if the weather changes and with other tracks opening the next few weekends the triple crown isn't going to get cars with the issues at the track. I knew soon i got in to the stands the track wasnt going to be raceable. I tried to post the pics of the track on pitgate but couldnt do so with my phone so i tweeted the pic to eroc.
                      Here is the photo.

Comment

Working...
                      X