Ohio Opening Weekend - Thoughts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohio Opening Weekend - Thoughts?

Caleb Helms swept the weekend openers at Attica and Mansfield while sporting a new number (17). Maybe that's all he needed to do to get to victory lane?

Jac Haudenschild can still wheel a sprint car, with or without a wing, and win races. The Wild Child isn't ready for retirement.

Attica had a packed house, hardly a seat left. Great weather and good car counts. Couldn't have asked for a better season opener. One of the best tracks in all the land and the racing rarely disappoints.

Mansfield - "Back To Dirt" with 3 divisions paying $5000 to win. I didn't make the tow, but sounded like a good night minus some track prep heartburn. They'll get it worked out and the venue is one of the nicest in the state by far. (See photos in the Mansfield thread). Looking forward to seeing this place in person this summer.

Congrats to all the winners in all the divisions. 2017 is underway. Support all your area dirt tracks this summer and "Make Dirt Track Racing Great Again".
    ~~ Connect with me on LinkedIn ~~
    http://www.linkedin.com/in/bryanautullo

I can't argue with anything Swamp said. I do have a suggestion for Mansfield's management team. If Attica races on Friday night, go to the show. Pay close attention and take copious notes. In my opinion, ARP is the standard by which all other area tracks are judged. Just one addition to what Swamp said. Support your local speedway: dirt, pavement, or dragstrip.

Comment

I couldn't be happier with how this weekend turned out. Great weather, great cars, great racing. 2017 is shaping up to be a great year!

Comment

One thing that's been overlooked this weekend is how lucky we are in this area to have these tracks and race teams putting on big shows in march. I mean western,pa only had a modifield event at mercer Saturday night. Sure Mansfield needs to change things to run a smoother program but every track ive ever been to could change something or add something. attica needs to add port-a-johns for there bigger events. Another concessions line would help out a lot too. As far Mansfield goes I think the weather forecast was there main problem. seeing the hourly forecast of 40% rain from 4p-8pm depending on which weather forecast you looked at had them roll the dice to not water the track properly before hand. same thing with the car counts. It was rumored the southern latemodels went to Florence or stayed home because of the forecast and id say the samething for the other divisions as well . Attica had 37 410s and a lot of travelers that didn't stay for Mansfield. Im sure the word got out that everyone got $400 to start and the track put in a lot of effort to fix problems. If nobody noticed that #27 car was a 305 that runs in western,pa and he got $400 to start the 410 race and $400 to start the non wing race. He didn't stay out that long in either race but to stop and pick up $800 on your way home from attica must of been nice. Ill be back to both next weekend for another awesome start to the 2017 season.

Comment

Duposki also brought his car to run in the non wings and assuming that still was the 305 inside as well. The Matus clan + Garvin all took the wing off and ran until they got put a lap down in feature also. I went to both Attica and Mansfield and came away very happy with both events. Attica's program was flawless and had fantastic racing, Mansfield had some bumps to iron out and the car count was lower than expected but i imagine if better weather is forecasted next week the car count will be better. Mansfield racing was wicked fast though, Haud had guys a lap down 2-3 laps into the race.

Look forward to going back to both tracks soon and also going to some new ones this year!

Comment

Yes...we are lucky as hell to have so many great dirt tracks in Ohio. Only Central PA compares...and I will still say their fan base is much more dedicated and supportive of their local drivers. Ohio could take a few lessons from Central PA in that sense, but its awesome to see dirt track racing thriving and moving in a positive direction in Ohio.
            ~~ Connect with me on LinkedIn ~~
            http://www.linkedin.com/in/bryanautullo

Comment

Originally posted by Swamp View Post
              Yes...we are lucky as hell to have so many great dirt tracks in Ohio. Only Central PA compares...and I will still say their fan base is much more dedicated and supportive of their local drivers. Ohio could take a few lessons from Central PA in that sense, but its awesome to see dirt track racing thriving and moving in a positive direction in Ohio.
              Think for that to really happen the "locals" need to spread their wings a little more and not just stay at home. We heard those drivers/teams talk about how good it was for events away from the normal Attica/Fremont tracks with FAST, but then a big show and they don't show up. Very disappointed in the Fast/Attica/Fremont teams that didn't venture to Mansfield. They will be racing there soon enough so you would have thought they would at least use it as a test session especially when it was one of the bigger purse regular shows they would attend and the fact that FAST will have a race there and likely none of them have ever raced on the track while being dirt before.

Comment

Originally posted by ErocWolverine View Post

Think for that to really happen the "locals" need to spread their wings a little more and not just stay at home. We heard those drivers/teams talk about how good it was for events away from the normal Attica/Fremont tracks with FAST, but then a big show and they don't show up. Very disappointed in the Fast/Attica/Fremont teams that didn't venture to Mansfield. They will be racing there soon enough so you would have thought they would at least use it as a test session especially when it was one of the bigger purse regular shows they would attend and the fact that FAST will have a race there and likely none of them have ever raced on the track while being dirt before.
                A lot of teams wanted to see how it went before they took their $70,000 piece of equipment to Mansfield. All in all it looked to have gone better than avg. so should see more cars this weekend hopefully

Comment

Agree; @ Jay

Comment

Originally posted by Jay72c View Post

A lot of teams wanted to see how it went before they took their $70,000 piece of equipment to Mansfield. All in all it looked to have gone better than avg. so should see more cars this weekend hopefully
                    Guess we will see if the R _ _ _ holds off who comes and who stays at home again.

Comment

I am saying up front that at least this time I am not being a pecker.
                      There is a reason why Attica runs as smoothly as it does. If you look at the employees they're probably the same ones you looked at last year and the year before and the year before that. Taking notes of what they do won't help. Any and all issues can be resolved easier when a person already knows how to fix it.
                      Mansfield however on Saturday had a group of people working together for the first time. They more than likely had several people who have never worked at a track and possibly don't even know about racing and are there for the money only. I would imagine with each race the people will work together much better.
                      Blake

Comment

Working...
                      X