X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He's seasoned racer

Comment

Originally posted by GTigers55 View Post

I wasn't meaning it as Attica should change anything! I like the Fremont/Attica 305s! Thanks for the info! A big part of the reason I was asking is I heard there is a small racesaver 305 touring series racing mostly southern Ohio and wasn't sure if any of the local drivers could race in it if local shows got cancelled. I know they race once at Hilltop which isn't too far away so thought it was worth asking!
      If my memory is correct, at the 305 race last summer at Waynesfield, there were one or two K-C 305's there, but I don't think they made the show. I don't have a real firm opinion about all these 305 variations, other than I wish there were more similarities rather than the variations we have. If we had similarities, there could be more interface throughout the country and there would be opportunities to have some national type special events to showcase these types of cars. But, there is rarely cooperation in this industry, so special interest groups will continue to prevail. Would be a nice attraction to have a 2 day show in Ohio with 60-70 cars.

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy99 View Post

If my memory is correct, at the 305 race last summer at Waynesfield, there were one or two K-C 305's there, but I don't think they made the show. I don't have a real firm opinion about all these 305 variations, other than I wish there were more similarities rather than the variations we have. If we had similarities, there could be more interface throughout the country and there would be opportunities to have some national type special events to showcase these types of cars. But, there is rarely cooperation in this industry, so special interest groups will continue to prevail. Would be a nice attraction to have a 2 day show in Ohio with 60-70 cars.
        I don't see how your going to have a "national type special events" especially when your talking about what the 305 class makes on a normal night. Who is really going to put up that type of money (5-10,000 to win) to attract cars from across the country? To get fans not to go to a 410, 360.late model show to a 305 event would be a pretty tough sell along with being about the same ticket price. Also the big thing -- fans -- who is going to pay the increased ticket price to create the purse that you want to attract cars across the country. You wouldn't be able to get the fans that go to see 410's and only 410's to these events or the ones that like the WoO, All-Stars, or those type of fans to sit through a program that is basically all 305's or they are the headliner of the show which would mean you would need other things such as trucks/stocks, mods, etc... to fill the field/divisions for the night.

To me, that would only create more problems/issues as well because you would have 360/410 drivers/teams coming down to poach the bigger prize money like you see some of those same teams do now for the 360 bigger shows. So that would mean making the engines better and better and spending more money to be "top dog".

I say if anything go state to state (Ohio for example get Atomic with Attica/Fremont and maybe even Mercer to have the same rules or very similar) or areas (OH, IN, MI, and PA) to try and get some of the same type of rules (again be tough to do now with how the teams are spending money now in these divisions) so drivers/teams/owners can do a little bit of traveling within the state/area if they want or need too. Your not going to travel very far when your only going to make $750.00 - 1,000 to win and $150 to start like most 305 tracks are paying now.

Keep it or try and keep it what the 305 was created for ... a beginner division or a guy that wants to get into sprint car racing and not a way for the more experienced or expensive teams to come in and poach the bigger prize money and these events and that would likely happen especially if the prize money was worth it to build another car/engine. Just look at the King's Royal weekend when they use to run the 360's and how over time more and more drivers were doing double duty to not only get a handle on the track, but to get a better payday too.

As for a 2-day show ... the 305's have one in Ohio right now ... in fact it is next weekend at Attica.

As for Attica/Fremont changing the rules in the 305 division ... be pretty tough to do right now when that division is their strongest/healthiest division right now because they own the market in this area and to throw new rules in for engines might damage that for sure. Also the purse is likely not going to change much for this division unless other tracks start competing for that class/division and offering more money to run at their place. Always thought the 305 division should be running for 1,000-1500 to win. For the amount of cars this division is putting out at a place like Attica I think they could raise the purse throughout the field from the to win prize and to start.

Comment

Racing is expensive. Until people stop buying the engines, parts, etc. nothing is going to change. All the racers i know have the disease and are going to try to race until they literally go bankrupt .

Comment

Jim Ford used to have a special event for the 305's on Labor Day weekend and it drew 45-50 cars, including a few invaders from central Pa. If I recall, he paid $ 2,500 to win. For years there has been a large event for IMCA 305's and E Mods in Boone, Iowa, which gets large fields of cars. The race I mentioned in an earlier post was not meant to be a $ 10,000 to win affair, but just something like the aforementioned. The increased pit pass revenue resulting from an increased car count, plus some added sponsorship, would cover the purse increase. And let's not forget the Sandusky County Fair race in 2016. An increased payoff in EVERY starting position resulted in a 38 car field. Other than the Iowa event, the 305's don't really have a big race to hang their hats on, so I'm still hoping this happens in my lifetime. Fortunately, the Sandusky County Fair event will again carry an increased purse structure in 2017. As for support from fans, that race in 2016 had more people in the stands than a number of 410 events I attended last year. I think the 305 cars have more long term future potential than a number of other classes, so I'll continue to lend my financial support to that cause. With some good planning and a strong marketing effort, a special event with a nice payoff is not out of reach.

Comment

I just would like to see Fremont and Attica 305's get tech'ed weekly. I think both tracks turn a blind eye to the rulebook.

Comment

Originally posted by staggerman View Post
                I just would like to see Fremont and Attica 305's get tech'ed weekly. I think both tracks turn a blind eye to the rulebook.
                Which track does anymore?

Not many tracks or series get real technical anymore.

Comment

You can tell which 305's have the (right) motor and the ones that don't. maybe they are legal and maybe they aren't but who am I to say. I did find it of interest at mercer sunday they announced they are no longer the outlaw 305's but running the fast 305 rules. Has me kind of clueless since the attica/fremont 305s are the fastest around and there motors are to my knowledge illegal in the other western,pa 305 racesaver class. Maybe mercer is just hoping to lure a few cars from fremont that cant make the show up there.

Comment

Originally posted by mudinmybeer View Post
                    You can tell which 305's have the (right) motor and the ones that don't. maybe they are legal and maybe they aren't but who am I to say. I did find it of interest at mercer sunday they announced they are no longer the outlaw 305's but running the fast 305 rules. Has me kind of clueless since the attica/fremont 305s are the fastest around and there motors are to my knowledge illegal in the other western,pa 305 racesaver class. Maybe mercer is just hoping to lure a few cars from fremont that cant make the show up there.
                    The racesaver 305 engines are sealed engines ... Attica/Fremont aren't.

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy99 View Post
                      Jim Ford used to have a special event for the 305's on Labor Day weekend and it drew 45-50 cars, including a few invaders from central Pa. If I recall, he paid $ 2,500 to win. For years there has been a large event for IMCA 305's and E Mods in Boone, Iowa, which gets large fields of cars. The race I mentioned in an earlier post was not meant to be a $ 10,000 to win affair, but just something like the aforementioned. The increased pit pass revenue resulting from an increased car count, plus some added sponsorship, would cover the purse increase. And let's not forget the Sandusky County Fair race in 2016. An increased payoff in EVERY starting position resulted in a 38 car field. Other than the Iowa event, the 305's don't really have a big race to hang their hats on, so I'm still hoping this happens in my lifetime. Fortunately, the Sandusky County Fair event will again carry an increased purse structure in 2017. As for support from fans, that race in 2016 had more people in the stands than a number of 410 events I attended last year. I think the 305 cars have more long term future potential than a number of other classes, so I'll continue to lend my financial support to that cause. With some good planning and a strong marketing effort, a special event with a nice payoff is not out of reach.
                      Eagle Raceway in Nebraska had the 4th Annual IMCA Racesaver Nationals in 2016 with 117 entries. I don't know a lot about the race, but I don't think they had a lot of cars from the east. That will probably change as more and more series are established out this way. Regardless, 117 entries for a 2-day race is nothing to sneeze at.

Comment

Why would you tech or mess with anything when you are getting 25-30 cars a night? You can have all the horsepower in the world but no one wins a 305 race until they get the car hooked up.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay72c View Post
                          Why would you tech or mess with anything when you are getting 25-30 cars a night? You can have all the horsepower in the world but no one wins a 305 race until they get the car hooked up.
                          Most features around here are dry/slick and you can't use all the power anyway. If people would spend more time in the garage instead of crying online about everyone else they would go faster. Just about every 305 in the pits is making around 500hp. If 1 guys dyno is telling him he's making 520 and the other guy's dyno says 490, that's not enough to make you a instant winning car. There's 410's making 950hp getting beat by 850hp motors all the time. You can't race the dyno.

Comment

Originally posted by RYAN5R View Post

Most features around here are dry/slick and you can't use all the power anyway. If people would spend more time in the garage instead of crying online about everyone else they would go faster. Just about every 305 in the pits is making around 500hp. If 1 guys dyno is telling him he's making 520 and the other guy's dyno says 490, that's not enough to make you a instant winning car. There's 410's making 950hp getting beat by 850hp motors all the time. You can't race the dyno.
                            Getting the car free and square seems to be a very difficult thing to do. Much more important than horsepower

Comment

The 5J of Jake Hesson is a Racesaver 305. He transferred through his heat and ran 12th in the feature last night.

Comment

Few people are aware that Jake actually had more points than the Ohio Thunder IMCA series winner last season, due to some confusion (?) he did not get registered as a member of the IMCA, Jake had 4 feature wins,the most in the series, all at different tracks, he ran at 9 different tracks last season, will do about the same this season, Jake & his Dad ,Larry, have a race car, they love to race & will travel to race in preparation for moving up to the 410 division in the future, they plan to make the FAST 305 races at Waynesfield, Limaland & Mansfield & all of the Ohio Thunder series dates, promising, young talent,

Comment

Working...
                                X