No announcement yet.

Attica Spring Nationals

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That was the fun of the older days. You never knew what driver would show up at a track when not racing with a series. They might pop in on the way to another race. I remember Lakeville and Wayne County used to get surprise drivers showing up back in the day. Made it fun for the fans and also got them interested in going to a series race. Sometimes I think the sanctions lose the chance of getting new fans by being so greedy.

Comment

Originally posted by mudinmybeer View Post
      to me if it was just a $4 dollar difference it wouldn't be an issue and attica would have the allstars Friday too but almost no track but atomic will schedule a 2 day allstar shows because of the high sanctioning fees. Maybe rich farmer had a valid point and last year atomics double header wasn't a huge success with the weather so lets see how this year goes. I did notice the 2nd day purse has dropped to 10k instead of 20k like they ended up doing last year anyway at atomic. port royal has 50k on there 2nd day this year but ive never been over there. im just talking about ohio tracks that im familiar with.
      It must be $4.00 difference or Attica wouldn't be charging $18.00 tonight and $22.00 tomorrow for the $5,000 to win races. Also noted that they are getting a little extra from the back-gate tomorrow as well with charging $35.00 tomorrow compared to $30.00 tonight.

Attica could have easily had two All-Star races this weekend and paid $5,000 to win both nights. They was hoping or expecting the All-Stars be allowed to run on the Friday night show and get a free night (of all-star teams) / cheaper night which usually means making more money especially if the fans know the All-Stars will be there both nights and get a bigger crowd for both nights. Like I said I would have rather paid $4.00 more dollars and seen all the All-Star teams and such ... think about it another 20 cars likely for Saturday and maybe even more if any of the cars that are running 360's at Lima Friday decide to come to Attica on Saturday.

Again ... not complaining just trying to see all sides of this deal for the fans, promoters/tracks, series, and drivers/teams. Should be a good weekend of racing at Attica and glad it is only 15 minutes away from my house.
      ---------------
      UPDATE:

Should be a good car count tonight and a HUGE car count tomorrow and hopefully good weather both nights.

Jac stated he won't be there Friday, but will be there Saturday night.

Dale Blaney both nights.

Carson Macedo in the Gaerte 3g ... both nights.

Comment

Eroc - trust me....my decision wasn't based on the $4 difference. Its not a protest of the All Stars, either. If given the choice between a FAST show with lots of kick ass drivers coming for $5000 to win vs an All Star show with a few extra drivers and a bigger chance of rain...I'm going on Friday night 10 out of 10 times. Regardless, the rule is dumb. I get why its there, but I think it sucks as a fan. I spent 5 yrs with the All Stars and 5 yrs running FAST...and the amount of politics in this business is sickening. These days I choose to support the tracks as much as I can and the locals as much as I can. The WoO and ASCoC won't see much of my money. Speedweek and The Doty may be the only exceptions.
        ~~ Connect with me on LinkedIn ~~
        http://www.linkedin.com/in/bryanautullo

Comment

I followed along on race monitor and social media tonight and really impressed with DJ Foos pulling off the late pass to beat Byron Reed in the 410s! Sounded like a fantastic race. Drown did his thing it seemed, and Weaver did after the first 6 or so laps where there was some good battles for the lead. Sounded like all in all a fantastic night of racing and an absolutely PACKED house from the videos I saw. And great car counts with a lot of drivers I've honestly gotta say I had no clue who some of the different 410 guys were. Ashworth and Butler I think were a couple I hadn't seen before since I've been watching.

Comment

Foos wins

Comment

Dale Blaney didn't make the feature. I don't remember that ever happening, at least at ARP/Fremont. Lots of tumbling sprint cars which I attribute to the heavy track. The track didn't become dry-slick until about midway thru the 410 feature. Good racing in all 3 divisions. Announcer, Brian Liskai, thanked the first time fans for comming to the race. That's cool. I was suprised how many fans chose to leave after the 410 feature. I bet few of them were first timers. Its hard to disagree with Swamp's posts in this thread, but somebody will find a way. And isn't that what a message board is for?

Comment

Originally posted by Swamp View Post
                Eroc - trust me....my decision wasn't based on the $4 difference. Its not a protest of the All Stars, either. If given the choice between a FAST show with lots of kick ass drivers coming for $5000 to win vs an All Star show with a few extra drivers and a bigger chance of rain...I'm going on Friday night 10 out of 10 times. Regardless, the rule is dumb. I get why its there, but I think it sucks as a fan. I spent 5 yrs with the All Stars and 5 yrs running FAST...and the amount of politics in this business is sickening. These days I choose to support the tracks as much as I can and the locals as much as I can. The WoO and ASCoC won't see much of my money. Speedweek and The Doty may be the only exceptions.
                I never said your decision was base on the $4.00 ... what I am saying is if it only cost $4.00 more to have a All-Star show that pays $5,000 to win and their purse over a $5,000 to win local show I will gladly pay the extra $4.00 and based on the ticket price that is what the $4.00 is for to cover the All-Star fees which includes tow money for the teams/drivers that participate in that series.

One question ... besides the top prize what was the total payout because never seen Attica's payout for the entire field? Was it exactly the same as a All-Star race or different? That is something to look at as well because the "big top prize" always gets fans attention, but the total purse is what matters when your trying to compare the two events.

Understand your point especially with your ties in the past with FAST. You got to admit that it makes no sense for the All-Stars to help out Farmer and his series especially with the deal he created against the All-Stars. It is bad that Attica is effected by that decision, but that is what happens.

I am in the other boat ... I would rather watch the best in sprint car racing when they come in my area. I would rather drive an extra hour or longer to watch the WoO's or the All-Stars than a local show. I see plenty of local shows and support their tracks, but when your asking me if I would rather see the best or one of the best I will always go see them over a local show especially when a lot of times these local tracks could have these series at their tracks, but don't and while "somebody's local track" is putting out a bigger purse, bigger risk to have a bigger event and give a bigger payday to those drivers/teams.

As for Saturday ... the weather looks great and your probably looking at 15-20 more cars tonight -- not a few. I am also betting beside a larger car count your going to see a larger fan turnout Saturday as well.

If it wasn't for these type of series (let's not forget that FAST is now a series as well and not just a Attica/Fremont deal any longer) your not looking at a $5,000 to win local show nowadays and likely still paying $1,500 to win. Attica was hoping to not have to pay the fees and still get the drivers/teams and the fans with making more money. It doesn't make sense for the All-Stars to allow their drivers to participate in another series race and help that series out and make the All-Stars less relevant or make it seem like you can watch the All-Stars anywhere. That is what people complained about during the Webb era of fans being able to go to a local show like Attica before the FAST series and see the all-star drivers at 14 dollars and then have to pay 22 dollars the following week to actually see a real all-star show.

In the past the All-Stars were able to run at Attica on certain nights ... I am wondering if last nights race was just a normal race night and not a traveling series race (FAST) if they would have been allowed to run? I am betting yes they would have been.

Originally posted by racemak View Post
                Dale Blaney didn't make the feature. I don't remember that ever happening, at least at ARP/Fremont. Lots of tumbling sprint cars which I attribute to the heavy track. The track didn't become dry-slick until about midway thru the 410 feature. Good racing in all 3 divisions. Announcer, Brian Liskai, thanked the first time fans for comming to the race. That's cool. I was suprised how many fans chose to leave after the 410 feature. I bet few of them were first timers. Its hard to disagree with Swamp's posts in this thread, but somebody will find a way. And isn't that what a message board is for?
                Well Blaney had issues in the heat race ... that is the reason he didn't make the feature. Let's not forget he is in a different car with a different crew as well and believe this was the only 2nd time they was out together.

As for fans leaving after the 410 feature ... it happens all the time because some fans don't like the other divisions. Some fans are sprint car fans and not the other divisions ... some fans drive along way and want to get on the road. Again "die-hard" race fans or people that think they are better because they go every week or the fans that stick around and watch every lap no matter what is on the track shouldn't get upset or try and isolate these type of fans. Should embrace fans no matter if it is their first race or their thousand. They spent their entertainment dollars on going to the races and should be able to leave at anytime they want. When I am at Eldora I will usually stick around for the 360's feature, but if they have mods/stocks/etc... I get on the road as quickly as I can especially because of the time and the 2 hour plus drive home.

Remember as well ... that Farmer owns FAST and he is the one that created the drama with the All-Stars ... so why would the All-Stars want to help his series out? Yea, it might not help Attica, but it would help Farmer out and what he believes in ... heck for all we know Farmer wants to make FAST into a little all-stars series if he can and we have actually seen it the past couple of years with him traveling the series out of state when it was a deal just to help out two tracks and benefit their drivers/teams.

Comment

Simple economics! Attica put up nice purse, charged more than normal to cover by few dollars, drew fan & car count and didn't pay sanction fee so there for they make more money. Tracks are a business and therefore have to make money to stay open. I'll go out on limb and say they made more money last night than they will tonight even if tonight was perfect weather.

Comment

The allstars aren't going to let any of there drivers race at a track the night before. they have let them a week prior but not the night before and that's just protecting the brand. people left because the forecast said 60 degrees and it felt like 45 degrees by feature time and I think many people thought a hoodie would be enough to keep warm and it wasn't. Im with eroc im attending the best show in driving distance. Just like next weekend im going to wayne county Saturday instead of fremont's opener. And Friday its Sharon for the lucas oil latemodels.

Comment

Also seeing Lee Jacobs at attica last night must mean hes not following the allstars like he did last year. On another note does anyone know what broc martin is doing this season? thought he would be there last night.

Comment

Originally posted by mudinmybeer View Post
                        Also seeing Lee Jacobs at attica last night must mean hes not following the allstars like he did last year. On another note does anyone know what broc martin is doing this season? thought he would be there last night.
                        I believe Lee said once the All-Star's decided that Florida was a point races then he wasn't going to follow the entire series simply because he would be to far in the hole before they even got back to Ohio.

Really think the All-Stars were better served the past couple of years when they used Florida as a special events and not made them points races simply because it is 2 months before any of their other races along with the fact that most of their teams cannot afford to take 2 weeks off to attend races in February since most of the teams have regular jobs and take enough time off during the racing season to travel with the series.

Comment

Eroc....Where do I begin? 1) I am aware of the reasons behind Blaney's failure to make the feature. In the interest of brevity, I chose not to mention them. 2) I am not upset by some people's decision to leave before the race is over. They paid for a ticket, its their choice. Every week, a good friend of mine heads for the exits as soon as the checkers fall on the 410 feature. He's the driver to beat if you want to win the ARP Parking Lot Grand Prix. 3) I do not think I'm better other racefans because I'm at ARP every week. I just have better attendance.

Comment

I agree with Florida being points races are kind of ridiculous especially with the woo guys being there also. It pretty much made the ascoc points race a joke this season.

Comment

The top 2 sanctions has gotten less & less of my money over the years & if these tracks that have been racing for years don't get their ass in gear and quit fiddle fartin around they will see less & less of my money.
                              Get the show started & finished. If not I will find something else to spend my money on.

I told a guy last year at Millstream that I love the racing it's the jacking around that has to go. Is it that they want to sell more at the concession stand, incompetent people or what.

I absolutely hate this group **** they are doing now.

Comment

This rule is why the All Stars lost some of their bigger teams. If your being told when and where to race, might as well race 90 times a year for 800 to start and tow money. The All Stars are not the Outlaws.

I had my family with me for the first time Friday. I'm a die hard and want to see every race, and when it's just me i do. My wife and kids on the other hand just want to have a good time. They were cold and ready to go, so after the 410's we left. I'm not going to force them to be uncomfortable because i want them to come with me again. On a positive note the kids enjoyed themselves and are already asking about the next one.

Comment

Working...
                                X