Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WoO and Support Classes (Or the lack thereof)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WoO and Support Classes (Or the lack thereof)

Recently this has become a hotly contested topic on twitter in the dirt world and was wondering what y'all's OPINION is on this. Basically Brian Brown said on twitter that he doesn't think the WoO should have a support class at any of the races in response to the race at Gator Motoplex having the 305s run their feature prior to the WoO feature. Brad Doty later agreed saying that it helps them progress the show more smoothly and that's why he won't have supports for the Brad Doty Classic.

Personally, I like having support classes whether or not you're the greatest show on dirt. I personally would rather see more than one class race every time I go to a track even if it is for the WoO. There are a few exceptions in my opinion, any of the large races like the National open, Knoxville Nats (I know it's not technically WoO but...) and Kings Royal I can understand not having support classes. However, I would rather see them run with at least one support class provided that the support class feature is after the WoO feature. It's not fair IMO to hold fans who came solely for the 410s captive for a support class feature if they don't want to stay. I get the business reasons for it, but it wears out the track for the main show. I believe that this is what Gator did and sparked the outcry from Brown et al. Another point is, I don't know what the sancitoning fee is to have the WoO come but I imagine it's a decently hefty price and the support classes can certainly help offset some of that cost. The additional pit passes and such sold are certainly gonna help cover that cost of the sanctioning fee for the track. There's been many a nights at races where sometimes the main show is not the best race of the evening because of a driver being absurdly dominant or the race being marred with too many cautions. In the case of Gator there were only I believe 28 or 29 cars for the WoO show which IMO if it was a one class show with 3 heats, a B main, a dash and a Feature I'd certainly not be happy paying $30 or more for a scant show unless the racing was absolutely phenomenal. So my final stance, I support "support" classes running with the WoO, but I don't support those classes running their feature events prior to the WoO.

Note: Please don't bicker guys, this is solely opinion based and there are certainly reasons for and against having support classes at the shows.

To me, this was overblown on twitter and other sites.

I like when they have 1 support class with the WoO ... as for the Doty race I can understand why no support class because it is in the middle of the week and people need to get home early.

Like anything else it all depends on who is running the event, the track it is at, along with what type of support class is it as well.

I always think whatever is the tracks best support class should be represented for the event ... and not just the cheapest to get more back-gate money.

Also like anything else a track needs to start on time, get the show going, don't have all these long timeouts/breaks to sell more concession food or whatever, and keep the show moving. I can understand watering the track or doing a little track prep here and there after qualifying or before the feature, but the majority of that should have been done early in the week/day especially this early in the season.

Comment

I love support classes. To me the more the better. My favorite race weekends are the end of year steel city stampede and little guy nationals. I understand any week day show don't need to run late and even Friday night shows should be limited to 3 or 4 divisions. To me any Saturday night event shouldn't matter how long it takes but they should run the top race first so people can leave earlier if needed. That goes for woo show or even your regular Saturday night show. I feel like I don't get my moneys worth at some tracks during speed week that run a crappy support division like Sharon does with mini stocks or WCS did with the crate lates and had like 7 or 10 cars. $22 Friday at Attica and the have the super lates then you pay the same $22 at sharon and get mini stocks its terrible. Everyone says the 410s are worth the price of admission and I understand that but some tracks take advantage of the fan base to maximize profits. But back to woo in my opinion yes they need support division especially when they have car counts below 30 cars. I couldn't imagine just going to some of the tracks they do where local 410 racing isn't around and paying $30+ for 20 cars. They could run the whole show in a hour including the tool box challenge. Lol.

Comment

Its probably best not to have a support division for a mid-week event. There is no way I'm going to disagree with Brad Doty. He knows what's best for his race. When there is a support division, make it a good one. If a track doesn't have 410's weekly, they could use a WoO event to showcase their top division. (If that's economicaly feasable.)

Comment

I almost think the Doty could be thrown in with the group that's exempt to my rule because of how high the car count is generally. I think they had what 50+ last year? That's more than enough to not need a support class in my opinion. I know they had a D main. Not to mention it is on a weekday.
          Last edited by GTigers55; 6 days ago.

Comment

Not paying woo admission prices for just them. I want something more then 30 cars for $35

Comment

Originally posted by Jim11h View Post
              Not paying woo admission prices for just them. I want something more then 30 cars for $35
              What would you pay to see a WoO sprintcar - WoO latemodel show? Make it a single day event with $10,000 to win for each division. I'd pay $50 to see that.

Comment

Guess I'd think 40-45 be fai. Depends on track though and seating limitations determine prices. Crappy track surface I'd still stay home. That'd be a cool event at little place like Macon 1/5th mile

Comment

Originally posted by mudinmybeer View Post
                  I love support classes. To me the more the better. My favorite race weekends are the end of year steel city stampede and little guy nationals. I understand any week day show don't need to run late and even Friday night shows should be limited to 3 or 4 divisions. To me any Saturday night event shouldn't matter how long it takes but they should run the top race first so people can leave earlier if needed. That goes for woo show or even your regular Saturday night show. I feel like I don't get my moneys worth at some tracks during speed week that run a crappy support division like Sharon does with mini stocks or WCS did with the crate lates and had like 7 or 10 cars. $22 Friday at Attica and the have the super lates then you pay the same $22 at sharon and get mini stocks its terrible. Everyone says the 410s are worth the price of admission and I understand that but some tracks take advantage of the fan base to maximize profits. But back to woo in my opinion yes they need support division especially when they have car counts below 30 cars. I couldn't imagine just going to some of the tracks they do where local 410 racing isn't around and paying $30+ for 20 cars. They could run the whole show in a hour including the tool box challenge. Lol.
                  That is one reason why I haven't went to Sharon in a very long time and use to go there quite a bit dating back to the big half mile track and the Sharon Nationals which I thought was always a cool event because you was able to get the PA guys to come over to that event.

I don't like it when a track goes the cheap way out (with the cheapest supporting division) when you have the All-Stars or WoO's coming in ... that isn't the way of attracting more fans to your place especially if they are local or not that far away, but want to see "the greatest show on dirt" has come to their area. If you don't have a good support class and have wreck-fest or wasting a lot of time than those fans will likely stay at home next time or not want to see a regular show especially if they think that is what they are getting.

Originally posted by racemak View Post
                  What would you pay to see a WoO sprintcar - WoO latemodel show? Make it a single day event with $10,000 to win for each division. I'd pay $50 to see that.
                  You should go to the world finals at Charlotte then because you can see that with the big blocks too ... and wouldn't have to spend that much on a single night. Heck you can go see the King's Royal for 30.00 or the World 100/Dream for around that price so why spend 50.00 for a lot less purse even if you combine them both.

Comment

World & dream both over 40. Plus now you spend like 15 own Thursday, 22 on Friday and no support class's.

Comment

I left something important out of my previous post. I should have said if Attica has a WoO sprint and WoO latemodel race on the same nite, I'd pay $50 to see it. They could call the event "THE ULTIMATE DIRT DOUBLEHEADER". This should be a good weekend to support your local speedway. Attica on Friday. Fremont on Saturday. Sandusky on Sunday afternoon.

Comment

I think for regular WOO shows there should be 1 GOOD support division, as in either another sprint car type, or midgets, or mods, or late models, or even a good bunch of stock cars. No crates, or compacts or a filler class that gets 10 cars, but 1 decent support class. Keeps fan entertained instead of down time, allows other divisions to be showcased in front of a large crowd, allows others maybe to discover the next big talent working up the ranks, and gives fans their $$$$ worth

Comment

Working...
                        X