Mansfield Practice 4/30

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mansfield Practice 4/30

5 total cars showed up. Troy and Dylan Kingan, and the Prosser Racing 19 out of sprints. Prosser never took a lap I don't know if it was because of the track or motor issues. 2 Late Models also came, a Blue #75 I've seen somewhere before but can't recall name and a white #11 I hadn't seen anywhere before myself. So, My dad and I went there at about 4:45 for free admission and the track was dry before a car even came out, besides some standing water at the bottom of the track just above the inside barrier. The cars were put on by themselves for practice and everyone was pretty good driving around no major issues. But the track was very dusty again, not quite as bad as first night but had this been a race they wouldn't have been able to race on it. The track doesn't seem to hold water outside of the very bottom where it forms puddles. In addition to the water truck, they also rigged up a water pump and spreader to the pace car with for an actual race is ingenious even though it isn't too much water. They also now have a farm spreader for water as well. The Kingan's both hot lapped individually and the water truck watered down track which covered a few laps for the late models while they hot lapped but dried off again. It takes too long for them to fill up that water truck and can only fully saturate either the top or the bottom on one tank unfortunately. Hopefully the spreader and the pace truck can assist keeping the track wet for a race. Also, something needs done with the drainage by the wall or some way to move that water. They've got all the tools to make this track succeed (besides a second water truck which they REALLY need) and can't wait to come back for the All Star show! Just as of right now I'd expect it to be a little dusty even when the track is in good shape so be forewarned to wear clothes you really don't care about.

I got a feeling that they didn't even water the track to prep it on Sunday ... probably the water was from mother nature on Saturday night/early Sunday morning and decided to wait and see who showed up before doing anything to the track.

Heck didn't even know about the open practice until Friday night ... did they have this schedule ahead of time or was this a last minute deal? To me, getting kind of late for "practice" for most teams unless some have put together a new car, have a new engine they want to check out, or some things they might want to try.

Don't understand the whole water truck deal ... to me if it is a normal water truck that should be more than enough water to get the track ready for one time ... as for the car deal -- well Earl use to have a 300-500 gallon tank on a pick-up and used a "light watering" at a higher speed whenever he wanted just a little bit of water on the track with little sit time.

A normal high to medium banked clay track when packed isn't going to hold water very well and it is likely to run down the hill. This is where Stewart has brought some good equipment lately to pick certain spots usually down low or in the middle of the turns when he brings that "spinner" or whatever you want to call it where it digs down/scratches the surface and then waters it to allow moisture in the track before packing it with the trucks.

On a warm day you can't just prep the track the same day or as the day goes on and be able to keep up with it.

Hopefully they keep on working on the track because I am still planning on going to the All-Star race Memorial weekend unless I keep hearing about other issues.

Comment

The track was very smooth today that was a welcome improvement for sure! But I think they got bit on the expecting the rain to water down the track a whole bunch (which it did) and the top stuff just drained off and it settled on the bottom. I enjoyed seeing the guys who came out. They have to travel to go refill the water truck just past the parking lot behind the grandstands so just eats up a whole lot of time to refill and come back out it seems.

As for the practice late in the season, I imagine it's to allow guys to get some time on the track since they were only able to get the one race in. Being a new track, it's good to at least provide extra oppurtunities I think to the area drivers to test and get setups down a bit if they wanted to. Or like you said to work out a bug etc. Just mainly a seat time at a track that only the people who raced the first event have any experience racing on. Also, they announced practice dates on April 20th. There is another Sunday practice date scheduled for May 21st (a week before All Star Show) as well.

I'll see you on the 28th Eroc!

Comment

That is too bad they did not have more cars show up but should have made it an open practice to all types of race cars.
        I would also guess that this practice was as much for them to learn about their track prep to get it right before the All Star show.
        On a side note I remember a few older promoters did not believe in practices. They felt if the weather was good enough to hold practicec they should be racing and making money. We never took the car to practice just races.
        Hopefully people keep supporting Mansfield. It is a nice facility.

Comment

I think they didn't make it open because they didn't want some guy in a compact showing up and misjudging a corner bad and getting hurt. Since those cars don't run that track at all (including Super Stock, etc that don't run there) the practice they would get wouldn't really translate to a lot of tracks nearby.

Comment

I hear they let pick up trucks race on Sunday nights though.

Comment

The track was smooth but still very soft, and VERY dry. They still have not got that track packed together the way it needs to be, which I think is where most of their problems are coming from. They need to just water, pack, and repeat until the track is hard. Then they can focus on working the top 1-2 inches. If they don't do this the track will continue to be soft and dusty.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch15 View Post
                The track was smooth but still very soft, and VERY dry. They still have not got that track packed together the way it needs to be, which I think is where most of their problems are coming from. They need to just water, pack, and repeat until the track is hard. Then they can focus on working the top 1-2 inches. If they don't do this the track will continue to be soft and dusty.
                Were you gonna run Prosser's car at Mansfield Sunday or was it just him? I know you've been running it a bit so far.

Comment

I'm waiting until late next season to go to the new Mansfield Motor Speedway.

Comment

Originally posted by RYAN5R View Post
                    I hear they let pick up trucks race on Sunday nights though.
                    i just fell out of my chair hahahahahahahaha

Comment

Do you think by the comments from others that they aren't tearing the track up at all and just watering it while it is already packed in tight or run in? Seems to me that might be an issue of why it might stay dusty or gets dusty quick that they aren't allowing or getting moisture down in the track and not getting it worked in deeper.

I wonder if they would be better off just running the track in, than use a small tooth deal to tear it up a little bit, water the track, pack it in, and than tear it up deep and start over again -- repeat ... act like the next day or night after the race and just keeping doing that everyday, several times a week when the weather allows them to and keep working the track. To me, you can't just put dirt down and think it will just "age" well. Also with having heavy cars like late models on the schedule that is when you really need to have a track that is packed tight and holds together because they can really tear up a track if it isn't worked well.

Comment

I think they need to worry about getting the track packed in first. To me it doesn't look like they have a solid base. Either that or they are digging it up way too deep every week and not putting enough water on it.
                        I think a lot of promoters get carried away with digging the track up. You really don't want to disturb the base once you have a good solid foundation. All you need is to work the top 2-3 inches and leave the rest alone. If you dont have a good solid base, or if you dig it up too deep then the dirt gets soft and thats how you end up with soft spots and holes.

Yes, I was planning on running Prossers car but we had an issue with the engine and called it off. Not sure I'd want to practice on that the track the way it was anyways, wouldn't really learn anything.

Comment

Working...
                        X