Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think Attica could read the weather Radar?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you think Attica could read the weather Radar?

I think the tracks need to understand the on taking of bringing a race car to the track and what it takes to clean one and get ready for the next race day!
    I'll bet every car towed in paid at least $50 for fuel to get there! Hurry to get off work to make it! Fill the cooler! Get some eats for the road! waste 6 hours plus and having to get into the power washer for 2 hours the next day all for NOTHING!....... RAIN OUT....REALLY..... just about anyone looking at a radar could tell was never going to happen???? I think the teams deserve a little more respect!

If just about anybody looking at a radar could tell the race was never going to happen, why did you go? ARP wasn't disrespectful. They were wrong about when the rain would start.

Comment

Some times it is hard to predict the weather no matter what radar and weather forecasters say. Been to tracks that according to radar should not have been able to run but they ended up with a great track and able to get the show in with okay weather.
      Also been to some tracks where promoter knew they couldnt run but they wanted to get you in there and get your ticket money. Then they called rainout no refunds and you either came back or they kept your monry. It actually was a marketing plan for some tracks as they got a much bigger crowd the following week.

Comment

Why is it Attica's fault? Do the teams not know how to look at a radar? We were one of the teams there Friday night, and the whole drive there, we knew it was gonna rain, but it was a choice we made. And before you say they had to show up for points, then where was Byron? He chose not to show, and others could have done the same thing. Obviously the fans knew there was no chance of racing that night, as there may have been 100 if that in the stands up to that point. Atleast Attica did offer a refund to anybody that stuck around. That don't happen to often.

Comment

Attica would be the last place to complain about. You can't radar watch and cancel a race. You only race X times a year and storms pop up and disappear and its unpredictable. Attica for sure lost money Friday too by the way.

Comment

Before I left I checked radar and it looked like it wasn't going to hit until about 10-11 but alas I was wrong. Anyways got tickets for next time I'm back home at least.

Comment

Seems like the last year the weather said catastrophic rain and a lot of the time very little came. This year its like no rain and it ends up pouring.

Comment

I think the tracks take the chance to run if it looks possible as the last few years they have lost many races to rain.
                I think Attica was alway good on their cancelling policy. They try hard.
                yes there are only so many race nights available and they try not to lose them.

Comment

Your damned if you do and damned if you don't ... and sometimes it is to late in the afternoon to cancel it especially if teams are already there or on their way. If you cancel that race without the rain than teams, fans complain -- if you try and race and get it off with no rain people don't say a word, but if you try and race and it ends up raining than your the morons that don't know how to look at a radar.

Even the guys that get paid good money to forecast Friday night said that the rain wasn't coming in until 10pm and yes in the late afternoon it looked like it was going to rain, but you never know anymore because we have seen where a big rain storm is coming from Indiana and you think no way that will miss us, but somehow/someway it all of a sudden drys up before even getting to us or goes north.

I remember back in the early days of Attica when they got a lot of rain overnight or even in the morning, cancelled the race because it was suppose to keep on raining, but by the afternoon the sun was out and turned into a nice day.

I remember a lot of events that I thought would be wash outs, but we made the trip to Eldora for a WoO race back in the Earl era and you know what we ended up racing. Yea it might have been till 1:00am by the time the races ended, but thankful for getting it in and all the teams, fans, and track personnel having faith.

I remember going to the "old" Sharon racetrack for speedweek one year when it was still the flat half mile and we called before we left and the old saying on the recorder was "We are racing and it's high and dry here" ... sure enough we get half way there and stopped some place and called got the same message. About 10 miles from the track we was seeing water laying everywhere and going over the roads. We got to the track and it was a swamp. We thought no way would they race, but they brought the grader in just to pit the cars inside and sure enough they got the race in -- felt bad for my dad that night because about the time we got home from there he took a shower, got dressed, and headed off to work.

Comment

When it comes to the weather, promoters are in a no win situation ... Some promoters will try everything possible to get a show in, even when the radar doesn't look good, and sometimes they actually do get the show in and are either heroes, or lose their butts because nobody showed up thinking it was gonna rain. And if it does rain, everybody is on the message boards complaining they should have cancelled earlier. Other promoters will cancel early even if there is only a forty or fifty % chance of rain, fearing no one will show up. We had one promoter in Southern Ohio, who had the reputation that he would cancel if there was a heavy dew Saturday morning. As Wolverine said promoters are damned if you do and damned if you don't. I personally miss the old days (Before Computers) when you watched the 11 o'clock news the night before, and made your decision to go or not to go then.

Comment

That's points racing for ya! I didn't waste my time going for the rain out. just posting what everyone is is saying at the shop!

Comment

Originally posted by dogfighter73 View Post
                        I think the tracks need to understand the on taking of bringing a race car to the track and what it takes to clean one and get ready for the next race day!
                        I'll bet every car towed in paid at least $50 for fuel to get there! Hurry to get off work to make it! Fill the cooler! Get some eats for the road! waste 6 hours plus and having to get into the power washer for 2 hours the next day all for NOTHING!....... RAIN OUT....REALLY..... just about anyone looking at a radar could tell was never going to happen???? I think the teams deserve a little more respect!
                        So you didn't go? You didn't waste your time?
                        If you have no dog in this fight why not let the teams that said these things speak for themselves or just name them? As racers we know that this can happen. It's happened to me more than once.
                        As far as Attica? They tried and it didn't work. So obviously it's time to jump on Pitgate and hammer them on something people know nothing about. Something they've never had to make the call for.
                        Thats the beauty of things. The least informed with the loudest voice.
                        Blake

Comment

Working...
                        X