Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What qualification format do you like best?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What qualification format do you like best?

    There are three obvious choices. Pill draw, single car, or group qualifying.

  • #2
    I like single car but you can't do it for every division every week. I'd like to see some smaller classes that are special events/big money events get single car qualifying to showcase them also. Plus it gives teams that usually don't run regularly a extra chance to make adjustments. Might be harder to do for Friday night shows with the time constraints but u can always start a lil earlier on Saturdays.

    Comment


    • #3
      I like group qualifying but it'd be nice to have hotlaps first.

      Comment


      • #4
        I saw 2 car qualifying last year. That was a great compromise. Keeps you from having to run up on a guy during qualifying and saves a little time.

        Comment


        • #5
          Group

          Comment


          • #6
            Pill draw but if have to qualify then group with invert system

            Comment


            • #7
              I like single qualifying the best because it allows announcers more of an opportunity to talk about each driver and their sponsors. I like learning about who drives what car and such and that certainly helps. Plus I think it's the most fair format. But it just isn't always feasible due to time constraints and I'm fine with pill draw or group as well.

              Comment


              • #8
                I like Dirt Classic with 2 sets of heats that gets inverted. Then use passing points.

                ASCoC has a great format too

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Jay72c View Post
                  I like Dirt Classic with 2 sets of heats that gets inverted. Then use passing points.

                  ASCoC has a great format too
                  As far as a full format I strongly believe that the ASCoC hit the nail on the head. The dirt classic one is cool but not really feasible except for special shows due to time constraints I think, plus it's pretty difficult to understand sometimes. I prefer top X number transfer, just simpler and easier to follow the race that way for me.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by RYAN5R View Post
                    I like group qualifying but it'd be nice to have hotlaps first.
                    Agree ... I think teams should be given warm-ups and then have the group qualifying because that seems to move the program a long a lot faster. Sometimes it just seems like you rush in to see hot laps at some tracks and then it is another 1 1/2 to 2 hours before the event even starts then.

                    Another thing I like is if the heat races were actually a little longer simply because if a driver/team messes up in qualifying they should be able to try and capitalize on the actual racing action. The problem with most heat races that are 8 laps is the leader or the front group gets out front and the guys in the back don't get a chance and they have to hope for just making the cut. I personally like 10 laps for heat races to give guys a chance.

                    Originally posted by GTigers55 View Post
                    I like single qualifying the best because it allows announcers more of an opportunity to talk about each driver and their sponsors. I like learning about who drives what car and such and that certainly helps. Plus I think it's the most fair format. But it just isn't always feasible due to time constraints and I'm fine with pill draw or group as well.
                    The problem for me is ... it just takes so long anymore and in most cases the show gets behind or doesn't start on time because of it.

                    If you have group qualifying and you get done early before the official start time you can use that time to work on the track a little bit, water it a bit, so you don't have to mess around with it as much later on.

                    The deal with announcers and talking to the crowd ... anymore I either listen to the radio station (like how Eldora does) or listen to my phone if possibly because most times you can't either hear or understand the announcers when talking about the team/drivers and most of the time I am somewhat near a speaker. Wish they would turn up the volume during racing action and then turn it back down when nothing is happening. It seems like they keep it the same no matter the noise or not on the track.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I agree with Eroc that an announcer is hard to hear with cars on the track. Since the ARP press box got A/C Brian Liskai's voice is not as loud as it used to be. What can be done? Crank up the PA as loud as it will go and rip the knob off. To answer my own question, I like pill draw because it saves the track surface for racing. If you like watching practice and qualifying, go to a pavement race. (I'll be at Lorain County on Sunday)

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        The good qualifying drivers always disliked it but the old pill draw format at Attica always made for interesting heat races.

                        Attica is always so racy though that it doesnt really matter what format you have there

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          But it's usually fast and follow the leader through the heats

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Pill draw - makes for more passing and entertaining for the crowd. Any qualifying isn't bad though, but it shouldn't determine your whole night, just set your heats by it.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by racemak View Post
                              I agree with Eroc that an announcer is hard to hear with cars on the track. Since the ARP press box got A/C Brian Liskai's voice is not as loud as it used to be. What can be done? Crank up the PA as loud as it will go and rip the knob off. To answer my own question, I like pill draw because it saves the track surface for racing. If you like watching practice and qualifying, go to a pavement race. (I'll be at Lorain County on Sunday)
                              Or get some speakers that are designed for outdoor sports facilities rather than for paging people inside a business.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X