Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What qualification format do you like best?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    I like group qualifying using the newer format that the ASCOC uses ( where you race with the cars whom you timed with ). Never have liked pill draw. May save the track during drought conditins, but often leads to stacked Heats and other issues.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Muddy99 View Post
      I like group qualifying using the newer format that the ASCOC uses ( where you race with the cars whom you timed with ). Never have liked pill draw. May save the track during drought conditins, but often leads to stacked Heats and other issues.
      But ASCoC also can lead to stacked heats as the pill draw sets who is in which heat.

      For touring series I like single car qualifying but for reginal series and weekly shows like group qualifying. (SOD, OSCS, Attica, Fremont)

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by RYAN5R View Post
        But it's usually fast and follow the leader through the heats
        Like most tracks and that is why I don't like pill draw simply because of that reason. Shouldn't be penalized because of poor picking out of a hat, picking a bad ball, etc...

        For the posters that like pill draw for local events only ... If pill draw is bad for series events shouldn't it be bad for local events as well?

        Comment


        • #19
          For local events, the luck factor is spread over a entire season. When the WoO comes to a track, the locals have only chance to draw a good number. Therefore, some sort of qualifying is needed. Drawing a good pill is still important because its almost impossible for a local team to make the feature if the track surface is used up by the time they get to qualify. The more cars, the more important it is to be lucky in the pill draw.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by staggerman View Post

            But ASCoC also can lead to stacked heats as the pill draw sets who is in which heat.

            For touring series I like single car qualifying but for reginal series and weekly shows like group qualifying. (SOD, OSCS, Attica, Fremont)
            Yes. Valid comments. Single car qualifying is good, but not if the track deteriorates as time trials progress. When the track deteriorates, the results are similar to using a pill draw. The early qualifiers will time the fastest and the late qualifiers will time the slowest. Unfortunately, there is no perfect way to do this, but I still don't like a pill draw. Single car or group is fine with me.

            Comment


            • #21
              Direct quote from Atomic Speedway, interesting how we've been discussing this topic and a change happened at probably the most prominent Southern Ohio track (at least for sprints).
              Format Changes Effective Immediately at Atomic Speedway

              After consulting fans and several race teams we have made the decision to not use the qualifying format any further and go with a pill draw format to set our heat race lineups. The heat race finishes will then redraw the top 2 finishers to make the feature line up.
              Several fans expressed that they don't come to watch qualifying and the same teams start in first two rows of heat races each weekend and that it will make the racing way more exciting and help have the shows done at a decent time each weekend. With attendance down over 25% since 2014 we need to get fans back in the stands! We realize this may affect some traveling teams decisions on where to race and we hope they respect our decisions. The 2017 payouts will remain the same and are more than competitive with any track within several hours of us with exception of a car based pay for the Street Stock class until the class proves it can maintain a full field. With higher payouts, inflation in every aspect of running the facility and the lower fan attendance changes had to be made and we hope this makes for a better racing experience for all involved!
              This will also be the same in both series we own with the exception that the Top 2 finishers in each heat race will run a 5 lap Dash. Millhone Motorsports will pay the OSCS Dash winner $200, we will look for the same kind of sponsor for a Dirt Week Dash. So the OSCS and Buckeye Late Model Dirt Week will also follow these changes as we travel throughout Ohio in 2017.
              Now let's make this the best season we can together as a TEAM because without Fans, Race Teams, Sponsors and the hard working Atomic Speedway staff racing isn't possible

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by GTigers55 View Post
                Direct quote from Atomic Speedway, interesting how we've been discussing this topic and a change happened at probably the most prominent Southern Ohio track (at least for sprints).
                Atomic had been qualifying EVERY class. Would have been mostly ok if they had just qualified sprints and LMs, but not both mod classes. They even qualified the mods during their Wed. night Speedweek show last year.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Jake B. View Post

                  Atomic had been qualifying EVERY class. Would have been mostly ok if they had just qualified sprints and LMs, but not both mod classes. They even qualified the mods during their Wed. night Speedweek show last year.
                  Oh wow, did they do individual qualifying for all classes? Or was it group with a seperate hotlaps? That's pretty crazy that they did that then. Didn't realize that.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by GTigers55 View Post
                    I like single qualifying the best because it allows announcers more of an opportunity to talk about each driver and their sponsors. I like learning about who drives what car and such and that certainly helps. Plus I think it's the most fair format. But it just isn't always feasible due to time constraints and I'm fine with pill draw or group as well.
                    Single car all the way for these reasons.

                    Group qualifying is a cancer that needs to die. It does nothing for anyone, not the driver, not the fans, not the sponsors, not the photogs or the track itself. It really is dumb. The no hot laps thing is one of many things stupid about it.

                    At Attica in particular, it makes it hard for a newbie or an underpowered guy to make the feature. In the olden days if he had good pill draw and started up front in the heat he could hang on and make the show. That does not happen anymore because that guy will start sixth and never have a chance.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Trailsendcustom View Post

                      Single car all the way for these reasons.

                      Group qualifying is a cancer that needs to die. It does nothing for anyone, not the driver, not the fans, not the sponsors, not the photogs or the track itself. It really is dumb. The no hot laps thing is one of many things stupid about it.

                      At Attica in particular, it makes it hard for a newbie or an underpowered guy to make the feature. In the olden days if he had good pill draw and started up front in the heat he could hang on and make the show. That does not happen anymore because that guy will start sixth and never have a chance.
                      Let's give everybody a ribbon as well.

                      I don't understand the logic of allowing slower cars or guys that might not be ready to race up front or in a A-Main a better chance to get in than the cars that are fast. At a place like Attica where it is only 8 laps it makes it tough to reach the front even if your a fast car and you pull a bad draw for the heat race or in a stacked heat. Why should a fast car be penalized to try and give the slower cars a chance.

                      If a guy starts 6th and can't get into the A-Main which likely means being 5th or better he probably doesn't deserve to be in the feature if they qualified.

                      Honestly like group qualifying and invert the top 4 spots and then allow the top 2 spots to re-draw or even have a mini-dash for the 3-4 heats. then the other 2-3 spots in each heat go by time and then the b-main guys hit the tail end of the a-main that make it.

                      I do agree with you that it would be nice to see the tracks give everybody hot-laps like normal first and then do the group qualifying or smaller qualification similar to what the Lucas Oil LM guys did when they came to Attica by having 3 cars out on the track at a time, but yea giving guys hot-laps to get a handle on the track would help.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Those underfunded/underpowered teams need to make more when they can but you obviously don't understand local racing!!! You should just attend woo shows only and rest of time stay home and watch woo on your PC. Then I think you'd be truly happy!

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Jim11h View Post
                          Those underfunded/underpowered teams need to make more when they can but you obviously don't understand local racing!!! You should just attend woo shows only and rest of time stay home and watch woo on your PC. Then I think you'd be truly happy!
                          That or maybe you should? I mean Attica is using group qualifying and not doing what you want.

                          I attend enough local shows ... funny how people complain about me or others attending shows, but then complain when people don't show up either. No wonder with fans like you we can't seem to get a lot of new fans.

                          I will be down at Eldora again tonight seeing the best racing in the state. Watching the best wing and non wing cars in the country.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Good for you. Want a frickin cookie? I'll be at Fremont enjoying non wing as well, but nobody cares where you or I attend! Getting the point?

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Jim11h View Post
                              Good for you. Want a frickin cookie? I'll be at Fremont enjoying non wing as well, but nobody cares where you or I attend! Getting the point?
                              Sure I like cookies ... make mine chocolate chip.

                              As for caring where I go ... oh well if you like it or not.

                              Maybe swamp should just shut down this message board if you cant post where your going, what you like in series or formats, or actually having a opinion different than yours.

                              As said before until you or others pay for my ticket I will go where I want and see what I want since it is my entertainment dollars.

                              Thank you.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Trailsendcustom View Post

                                Single car all the way for these reasons.

                                Group qualifying is a cancer that needs to die. It does nothing for anyone, not the driver, not the fans, not the sponsors, not the photogs or the track itself. It really is dumb. The no hot laps thing is one of many things stupid about it.

                                At Attica in particular, it makes it hard for a newbie or an underpowered guy to make the feature. In the olden days if he had good pill draw and started up front in the heat he could hang on and make the show. That does not happen anymore because that guy will start sixth and never have a chance.

                                At least in group qualifying you get more than one lap. 1 lap qualifying needs to go. Especially if it stays with you all night instead of just placing you in the heat. A bad lap should t haunt you all night.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X