The Dollar Per Car Rule

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Dollar Per Car Rule

In another thread, a poster said he didn't like paying an admission price that's more than one dollar per car for the headline division. Using the dollar per car formula, the ASCoC event at Attica was a great value at 46 cents per 410 sprint car. Of course this doesn't take into account how many of the 48 sprinters at ARP were locals. Is the dollar per car rule a fair way to judge the value of a traveling series' event? For this discussion, FAST is considered a traveling series.

To me that's fair enough because it's not like the traveling series are the only cars there. There are always locals to fill the field except for WoO races where there are just no 410s in the area (NC, Northwest). The FAST still has about another 15 cars that show up at attica and fremont that don't run the FAST series. Also using the formula Fremont was just under 0.50 cents per car as well and Mansfield was a little bit under a dollar I believe. Honestly in Ohio I can't think of very many races I've been to that would be more than a dollar per car for the headliner. Smallest headline counts I've had were I believe 15 at WCS for $12 last year when there was a funnel cloud that jusssstttt missed the track and every other track I know of cancelled. And earlier this year at Lawrenceburg I believe they only had 15-17 cars for $15.

Comment

I also came up with a dollar rule. Every time an e-mod brings out a caution, the track owes me a dollar. If they bring out a caution intentionally so they can tag the tail I get 5 dollars. I plan on making so much money I could quit my job and possibly retire early.

Comment

I hate it when a car intentionally stops on the back stretch to bring out a caution. Some speedways send any car that stops on the track to the pits. That keeps drivers from causing an intentional caution to avoid being lapped. Not that I'm against it, but good luck getting paid.

Comment

Damn I used to say this but not as rule. The old Night the Stars Come Out with the Stars Late Models & All Stars at Atomic was a hell of a bargain !!!! That has been around 20 yrs since I've been down there.

Comment

I usually decide if it was a good race by not the car count (which is nice), but the quality of cars and the show they put on. Of course having 50 cars is a great thing, but I would rather have 30 quality cars than 50 not so good cars.

Comment

Quality and speed doesn't make great racing. The quality is watching the battles. Outlaws show to Attica and take top 10 spots and rest of field Attica's best and all cars run 3-4 car lengths apart whole race was that a great race just because the quality of equipment? Sounds boring to me

Comment

I have seen some excellent sprint races where there were less than 20 cars but most were capable of winning and put on great battles and slide jobs and working the track lines.
                Then gone to races 30 or more and watched follow the leader and no passing just no excitement in that.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim11h View Post
                  Quality and speed doesn't make great racing. The quality is watching the battles. Outlaws show to Attica and take top 10 spots and rest of field Attica's best and all cars run 3-4 car lengths apart whole race was that a great race just because the quality of equipment? Sounds boring to me
                  Didn't mention speed at all so not sure where your getting that at?

Go back and re-read my comment ... As what I said I like a good quality show and good quality cars.

Comment

Originally posted by ErocWolverine View Post
                    I usually decide if it was a good race by not the car count (which is nice), but the quality of cars and the show they put on. Of course having 50 cars is a great thing, but I would rather have 30 quality cars than 50 not so good cars.
                    The dollar per car rule is only aplicable to traveling series. Are sanctioned events worth the extra admission price? The dollar per car deal is one way to help answer that question. I think the recent All Star race at Attica was worth $22. I'm on the fence about the WoO latemodel race at Wayne County.

Comment

Originally posted by racemak View Post
                      Are sanctioned events worth the extra admission price?
                      In most cases yes they are, but depending on where your at along with if the locals and possibly other series have to support it as well. Again it goes by what you like, what you want to spend your entertainment dollars on, and of course what are your expectations for the show.

As you mentioned about Attica with the All-Star show which featured locals, all-stars, and invaders ... that makes for a good show.

Such is the case for the Brad Doty Classic ... would it be worth it if the locals stayed at home, the all-stars didn't attend, or the invaders not show up? No probably not, but again that is likely not going to happen at a place like Attica right before the King's Royal weekend.

In some cases the higher price makes a better show (than a regular local show) for me personally because it doesn't include some of the other divisions that I personally don't follow or care about that much. Such as in most cases at a WoO event your likely only going to have 1 other support class (if any such is the case with the BDC) and it is usually the better support division when they do run.

Comment

Yeah the ability of locals and invaders to compete with a sanctioning series is huge. If the sanctioning series is the only group being cars to a track the race will never be any good. And honestly regarding the WoO late model show, I like seeing the late models run with sprints but even the one year I went to the lucas oil LM and I believe it was FAST 410s as well at Attica I was much more interested in the Sprint car race than the Late Model one. if I recall correctly I'm pretty sure that's when Bloomquist won, Back when my dad and I maybe went to one or two races each summer... Also, as far as competitiveness... I'd say there are at least 10 locals I can certainly see having a shot at winning an All Star show, whereas only maybe 2-4 late model locals who have a shot at winning with Lucas Oil or WoO which kinda makes it less interesting from that stand point.

Comment

Originally posted by ErocWolverine View Post

Didn't mention speed at all so not sure where your getting that at?

Go back and re-read my comment ... As what I said I like a good quality show and good quality cars.
                          Think I read correctly, quality equipment!not sure where lost you. You brag about Eldora and woo and go there any chance but they get what 23 cars but you ***** about 35 cars at another track cause equipment isn't up to your standard. Eldora is speed plain and simple! WCS could have 32 cars but no all stars etc and battle for lead whole race among top 5 cars whole race to last corner last lap with names like mumaw, Duncan, Smith, Ryan, harble etc and you'd not like show cause their not "house hold" names that sanction bodies might bring but 23 cars and they involve shatz, kinser, haud, sides, etc and follow leader you'd brag that race up. Did I speak plain enough English to your initial statement?

Comment

Originally posted by Jim11h View Post

Think I read correctly, quality equipment!not sure where lost you. You brag about Eldora and woo and go there any chance but they get what 23 cars but you ***** about 35 cars at another track cause equipment isn't up to your standard. Eldora is speed plain and simple! WCS could have 32 cars but no all stars etc and battle for lead whole race among top 5 cars whole race to last corner last lap with names like mumaw, Duncan, Smith, Ryan, harble etc and you'd not like show cause their not "house hold" names that sanction bodies might bring but 23 cars and they involve shatz, kinser, haud, sides, etc and follow leader you'd brag that race up. Did I speak plain enough English to your initial statement?
                            Actually I said "quality of cars and the show they put on" ... but keep reading on what you think. You obviously like dirt trucks and wish they had 50 of them. Maybe my quality of cars is different than yours ... isn't that why they have different tracks, different divisions, and different schedules so people can decide on where to spend their own money to attend a race track?

So I like the WoO ... guess you don't and don't let facts get into your discussion. The last WoO race weekend at Eldora they had 35/29 WoO cars and 31/22 USAC cars.

I like the All-Stars along with many good local shows. I have already been to roughly 20 shows this year or attempted ... but again your a better fan ... lol.

Funny you talk about WCS and say I didn't like the show ... lol ... please show where I mentioned that at, but keep saying ****. I like that track a lot, but don't venture there enough simply because of the distance (over a 1 1/2 hours away) and also when they run the races especially if I go to Attica the previous night. I think that is becoming one of the better places to watch races on a Saturday night anymore. The track itself seems to be getting better and better and they have cut down on some of the other divisions.

The only local track I don't attend regularly is Fremont (unless you want to call Oakshade/Sandusky as well, but again I don't venture there for the same reasons as Fremont ... simply because they don't have the divisions along with the series I care to see on a regular basis. Do I go there still? Yea, but not as often as in the past. One reason I don't go to Fremont as much is because of the 4 divisions and I really don't care for the limited lates because of car count and I never did like the dirt trucks so why go to a event when you don't even like 1/2 the show?

Comment

I've watched 4cyl classes and enjoyed the show before. Not my preferred class but I'll watch and have seen good racing. Preferred show for me is LM, mod, non wing, stocks. Lucas oil sucks cause start fastest up front. It's good continuously hearing great news of wcs. Been many years since last there and said never do back until track changes and stays good

Comment

Working...
                              X