No announcement yet.

Ohio and PA Speedweeks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If this was any race that wasn't speedweek nobody would question the race being made up in September. I personally think Attica and the All Stars made the right call. It'd be ridiculous to have drives come back for one feature that can easily be made up on their next visit.

Comment

Originally posted by mudinmybeer View Post
      If you think about it the allstars are saying that last night didn't happen as far as scoring so why not run it Wednesday. not just a 20 min follow the leader make up race but have another complete show so they can charge everyone $22 again.
      Your likely not going to get the locals to support it like they did just 5 days previously ... also your going to have fans mad that didn't get to see the feature to ask them to pay another $22.00 to see a show at Attica just days later.

Think Attica and the All-Stars did it right and they don't have to make-up the feature, but they are doing it anyway and that is why the fans, the drivers, the teams, etc... go to Attica because they try and please everybody, but it is very hard to do.

Originally posted by hoopscoach View Post
      Why not just come back Wednesday night and run the sprint feature, late model feature, and maybe add a non-qualifiers race for any sprints that didn't make the show. Open to anyone that didn't transfer to the A last night. Run that first and give the winner some extra money, along with a little more than what non-qualifiers would have been paid had the show finished last night. Everyone with their ticket or pit pass gets in at no-charge. Anyone without a ticket pays $5 and new pit passes pay $10. The extra money for the non-qualifiers race will come from money that doesn't get paid out to the teams that don't come back and from people that didn't have a ticket/pit pass from last night. So you get to finish the show, teams get their money for racing, and fans get their money's worth without having to pay for another complete show. Too late now, but it has worked at other tracks. The American Ethanol Late Models just did it at Merritt this week.
      Your asking a lot out of those teams to do it along with trying to get fans to come to that type of event. Most of these fans traveled a good distance to go to Attica so it would be tough for some to make it during the week especially when it wasn't planned.

They are still going to finish the show ... and will actually make that date better because your going to see two A-Main's. That alone will likely attract more fans to that event.

Also to say it worked at another track (not saying it did work just using your words because I am betting a lot of the fans didn't return for it) doesn't mean it would work for sprint cars especially during speedweek where it is grueling on the teams, owners, drivers, and yes even the fans of having 8 races in 9 days. Why I mentioned the fans because most already had their money planned out for this week and what they wanted to spend so be tough to come up with another good amount of money especially for a family of 4 along with everything else that goes into getting to the track and not to forget of fans trying to do this during a day of work which the race wasn't even planned.

Your not going to please everybody, but you try and make it fair for most of the people and hope they understand.

Originally posted by GTigers55 View Post
      If this was any race that wasn't speedweek nobody would question the race being made up in September. I personally think Attica and the All Stars made the right call. It'd be ridiculous to have drives come back for one feature that can easily be made up on their next visit.
      Agree 100% ... and likely will be a huge promotion on it being a double feature All-Star show to attract a bigger crowd as well, one of the races being a $10,000 to win race along with that entire weekend of being better paying race weekends for the All-Stars (Wayne County $10,000 to win as well) your likely going to see some other teams coming in for that weekend with not much traveling between 3 races and two tracks.

Comment

On to the racing ... thought Eldora had a better car count than I was expecting ... I was thinking around 32-35 cars and surprised by the 42 car count to be honest and some of the teams competing in it such as Dave Blaney who hasn't ran much this year, a couple of USAC guys in Tanner Thorson in the Pete Grove 70 car, Spenser Bayston in the Swindell car, and of course Tony Stewart that you never know where he might race which seems odd to me. I understand the idea of not putting it out there so just in case other things come up your not tied to a schedule/plan, but you would think he would try and help at least promote his own series, his own track, etc... especially for speedweek. He still attracts fans and if more fans knew he was going to be racing at some of these tracks the more likely they would attend (IMO).

Shaffer was dominating the entire night ... loved seeing Rico coming through the field (18th to 2nd) during the A-main. Feel bad for Cale Thomas and his problems. The rain seems to be a common theme so far this speedweek and we will see if or when the next rain delay happen ... just hope it doesn't cost us a race the rest of the week. One good thing the temperatures are suppose to be cooler the rest of the week so good for the fans, teams, drivers, and track prep guys too.

Love that they are going from one of the fastest and biggest tracks in the country to Waynesfield ... think that makes it very interesting and should be another great race. Also love that they are having the NRA 360's there as well and should be a great show because they could have ran the trucks/compacts or something else. That is what I love about some of these events that the tracks are putting their best support division with the all-stars and showcasing them and not just using a back-gate filler for it like some of these tracks are doing.

Comment

Are "some of these tracks" Eldora, WCS, and Sharon? 47 UMP latemodels at Oakshade last nite. Rain came during the 5th latemodel heat and the race was washed out. Oakshade's usual rainout policy is your ticket stub is good for any remaining event this season. The real villan in two consecutive rain outs is ACCUWEATHER.COM. If they had been as accurate as their name implies, I would have stayed home Friday and gone to Fremont last nite. Actually I did go to Fremont last night; arriving just as the truck feature was ending. I'm skipping Waynesfield, WCS, and Sharon. Muskingum County has latemodels and modifieds for support divisions. That should be a good one.

Comment

Originally posted by racemak View Post
            47 UMP latemodels at Oakshade last nite.
            48 late models at Oakshade ... good deal ... 44 bombers, 23 compacts, and 20 sportsman ... not so much at least (IMO).

Comment

Sportsman used to be really good racing at Oakshade but haven't been there in long time. Don't imagine has changed with names who racing and the write ups regarding

Comment

Sharon charging $25 with mini stocks as support division is despicable. good track surface though.

Comment

I've gotta say I was impressed with Sharon last night. I watched PPV on TheCushion and during qualifying I was getting really worried. They did a great job getting the track fixed for heats and the rest of the racing. Although I'd like to have seen a different support class the mini stock feature was actually pretty damn good. Last lap pass for the win. I never understood why some tracks do $25 tickets for all stars and others do $22. TheCushion price is the same all week at least so I saved a couple bucks!

Comment

Anyone get the chance to make it to Waynesfield last night? I followed along on race monitor but you can only get so much from that. Sammy Walsh put it in the dash and led the half of feature but seemed to really fall off late. Another thing is this was the first All Star race that Caleb Helms missed the feature. Charged up to 6th in B before crashing which is a shame. Sounded like he had a fast car after qualifying. Caleb Armstrong is now the only All star to make every feature (provisional or otherwise). Looked like a decent sized crowd from pictures so glad it paid off for Waynesfield. Seemed like cars got a bit strung out in the latter half of the race but glad they were able to get the race in. Oh yeah, and the lights went out again. Only during speedweek.

Comment

I went last night. The crowd was pretty decent but not SRO like last year understandably. The track had a wicked cushion with a real tricky lip that drivers were battling all night. The feature was good with the leaders slicing through lapped traffic which Shaffer ultimately handled a little better. Dietrich didn't quite have enough after diving under Shaffer and briefly taking the lead. Dietrich's brake rotors were glowing orange most of the race. From what I could tell Polly Mae sounded pretty good during the breaks between action, while I was out by the woods taking an extended whiz.

1 more thing. People, leave the stadium seats at home please! Damn!

Comment

They had too much down time and you couldn't hear the band. That might of been a good thing. They shoulda let the track slick off instead of tearing it up and watering it every break. Good racing tho

Comment

Pretty good race on the cushion. PPV for $22 is pretty fair IMO. I would agree that the down time was too much but overall a good night.

Comment

Where were the Blaney brothers last night?

Comment

Dale hasn't been racing most of speedweek. I can't imagine he's happy with his car situation this year between splitting in the 11N and Zemco car. Wonder what's gonna happen next year.

Comment

what eroc poisted about blaney

Comment

Working...
                                X