Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mansfield Sunday 7-16

Haven't heard much on Mansfield lately.
    I can attend the race this Sunday. The rain passes are to be honored.
    What kind of car count do you think they will have?
    It is 410 sprints, non wing sprints and super late models.
    It seems like a bad time to run this race. I wonder about crowd size as the next day is a work day and coming off a big money spending weekend.
    I can see sprints that didnt go to Eldora being there and maybe some surprise visitors.
    Late Models not a clue as there were not many of them at this race the first time it was attempted.
    Could be a chance for some local lates to make some money.
    Hopefully they have it more organized.
    What is any ones thoughts on this race?

Will be interesting that is for sure for everything you suggested ... fans attending, wings, non-wings, and late models.

I won't be going to it because of going to the Doty, and all three nights at Eldora ... besides money will need a rest day / recovery day.

With a limited schedule this seemed like a "risky" time to put this show on the calendar ... could be hit or miss that is for sure.

Comment

The 2 day UMP hell tour races at Oakshade Friday and Saturday probably will not help the late model car count either. Its a great facility but I can't imagine this race being a success.

Comment

I will say that they were much better about moving the shows along the last time I was there for All Star race. I wasn't there for Lucas Oil but seemed like track was spot on. I'd imagine they'll get just about a full field of cars again in each class and probably not a whole lot more. But, it is possible that a lot of invaders may decide to go up there for a quick $5k so it could also turn out to be one of the best races of the season. If I was back home (about 20 minutes from Mansfield) I'd probably go personally. But I wouldn't expect more than 25 cars in any class. They're still building reputation as a track and obviously don't have a significant following of cars yet but enough to put on a good show. I imagine Brian Lay will definitely be there. He has supported the track racing there from the beginning and he can't race the Eldora or Doty events due to the suspension.

Comment

I went to the Lucas Oil race they did a pretty good job that night and the track was much improved

Comment

Originally posted by GTigers55 View Post
            I will say that they were much better about moving the shows along the last time I was there for All Star race. I wasn't there for Lucas Oil but seemed like track was spot on. I'd imagine they'll get just about a full field of cars again in each class and probably not a whole lot more. But, it is possible that a lot of invaders may decide to go up there for a quick $5k so it could also turn out to be one of the best races of the season. If I was back home (about 20 minutes from Mansfield) I'd probably go personally. But I wouldn't expect more than 25 cars in any class. They're still building reputation as a track and obviously don't have a significant following of cars yet but enough to put on a good show. I imagine Brian Lay will definitely be there. He has supported the track racing there from the beginning and he can't race the Eldora or Doty events due to the suspension.
            I wouldn't count on Lay. He left early the last Allstar show due to track conditions.

Comment

Plus IN Sprintweek wraps up Saturday so don't anticipate any IN nonwingers.

Comment

I forgot about this event. I'm not a late model or any type of stock car fan, so won't be attending. 2 1/2 hour drive and I have commitments Monday morning. Haven't been there since they covered the pavement but will probably try the first night of the 2 day show in August, and if it is a well run ( time wise ) show, I will go back for night # 2. There are a lot of 410 cars who will not be racing at Eldora, so I'm thinking the winged 410's will get around 30 cars. If you look at the box score of past Kings Royals, there is not a huge cast of weekly type teams racing in that event. This event may be a nice alternative since other tracks are either closed or drop Sprints on Kings Royal weekend. The real question mark is grandstand attendance, which might be lacking due to the Kings and being a Sunday night event.

Comment

They did not cover the pavement, they tore it up.

Comment

The track didn't look bad at all at the All Star show besides the one rough patch in 3 which most drivers just went high or low to get around it. And 14fan is correct, they tore up the pavement and put clay on the underlying dirt. Seems like the surface has been better every single race!

Comment

Originally posted by 14fan View Post
                      They did not cover the pavement, they tore it up.
                      I stand corrected. Ripped up all the asphalt. Still not attending due to fendered cars, on a Sunday night. 😀

Comment

Sunday night racing is a real challenge in today's world, especially with 3 divisions. I went to a couple Millstream races in recent years and even an All Star event had maybe 700-800 in Attendance. Hopefully they'll get local and area fans to attend who passed on Eldora. I hope they run this off rapidly to get the folks on the road. I'm also opting to wait for the open wheel shows in August. I noticed their website doesn't list the classes for the August shows, but I believe it is 3 divisions off Sprints ( winged 410, winged 305, non wing 410 ) ?

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy99 View Post
                          Sunday night racing is a real challenge in today's world, especially with 3 divisions. I went to a couple Millstream races in recent years and even an All Star event had maybe 700-800 in Attendance. Hopefully they'll get local and area fans to attend who passed on Eldora. I hope they run this off rapidly to get the folks on the road. I'm also opting to wait for the open wheel shows in August. I noticed their website doesn't list the classes for the August shows, but I believe it is 3 divisions off Sprints ( winged 410, winged 305, non wing 410 ) ?
                          Yeah that's correct, FAST&OSCS co-sanctioned 410s, FAST 305s, and BOSS Non wings.

As far as Millstream, I'm pretty sure they had a bad reputation already for running very very late. So far it seems Mansfield has gotten done at a reasonable hour for the shows besides the first night. I know I went to that october race at Millstream and it was great racing with great car counts but they just weren't prepared for everything they got there. Didn't get out until 1:30 AM.

Comment

Mansfield had a ton of fans at every show so far. See what sunday brings though. ive already burned my vacation on speedweek, the doty, and going to the silver cup next Tuesday. I actually forgot about this show and im not even sure of the other triple crown show they rescheduled but I believe its around the great lakes nats. I might go sunday if the haudenchilds are there. Its going to take quite a few twitter confirmations for me to drive hour and half and be to work by 6am Monday morning.

Comment

I don't know if Mansfield has been sending stuff to race teams or showing up at other race tracks advertising this event, but that would have been a good thing to do especially at the Doty race at Attica especially with all the invaders/locals at this event.

Think a lot of race fans have forgotten about it or overlooked it with having the Doty race and the King's Royal weekend.

Noticed on Brian Brown's, Ian Madsen, and Kerry Madsen they have Lernerville on Tuesday, but no mention of Mansfield on Sunday.

Comment

Working...
                              X