250 Speedway In Cadiz, OH cancels remainder of 2017 season

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 250 Speedway In Cadiz, OH cancels remainder of 2017 season

Just from what I've picked up on facebook I'm not surprised. They've rained out nearly every show this year (to no fault of their own) but the track and pits seemed like it held water bad. Sounded like it was a dangerous track from the comments I've read. Sad to see a track close nonetheless. Hopefully the current owner can remedy the issues and open up next year or a new owner takes over and fixes the issues. Below is a direct quote from their facebook.
    "Official announcement. The 250 speedway will remain closed the rest of the 2017 race season due to all the track bashing and low car and fan counts this season. We want to thank everyone for all the support over the years. We wish you all the best luck and safe travels. Thank you for all the good times we've had here at the speedway."

Track bashing. The owners/promoters new favorite excuse. Too many forget that owning or promoting a race track is a business. If you are getting a lot of complaints, it probably means you're doing something, or not doing something, to make your customers unhappy. So it's their fault that your business isn't successful? Right. No business owner is ever going to make every customer happy, but if you're getting so many complaints that you just can't handle it, you're in the wrong industry.

Comment

From what I've read, I don't know the validity of it, but drivers and fans would make suggestions to the track owner and he was too stubborn to change it. Seems that the guy who ran social media really tried to get the owner to see he was putting the track down the toilet so to speak but to no avail. Sad to see a track close though. If I had the money I'd love to buy Jackson County Speedway down in Jackson, OH. Place is only 160k and it has a couple of ponds on 38 acres. I'd love to have it just for me even without the track.

Comment

I've been to many race tracks across the country and I've never even heard of this track, maybe that's the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Curlis View Post
          I've been to many race tracks across the country and I've never even heard of this track, maybe that's the problem?
          I've noticed that seems to be a common trend. I mentioned something about a track closing on twitter and someone asked where and I told them and they didn't have a clue what it was either. Doesn't seem many people knew this track even existed even within the state.

Comment

I went there a couple years ago. 250 Speedway is a pretty unique little track , the racing was good and the show was run efficiently. The problem is people get on social media and continuously bash race tracks and the owners just say it isn't worth all the BS. I was at Waynesfield a year or so ago and Jack Hewitt spoke at the drivers meeting and told all the racers and crew that if the negativity and bashing of the place on social media didn't stop they were thinking about closing up. It can happen to any track so instead of getting on Twitter or Facebook and bashing a track just talk to the owner, promoter, or general manager about your concerns. I for one don't want anymore tracks to close because of this.

Comment

I dont think the tracks are closing just from social media bashing. Other tracks have taken a lot of abuse on message boards in the past and are still in business.
              Attendance in the grandstands is key. If you are not filling the grandstands, you had better relook your business plan.
              When you go to a facility that is lacking in maintenance. Not mowed, fencing rusted, broken or missing, bleachers falling apart, buildings barely useable, lack of equipment, trash not picked up, nasty restrooms and so on. People notice that. They want to go to facility that they see the owner cares about. It does not have to be an Eldora just fan freindly. Best is decent parking lot. Ticket buildings easy to get thru. Decent concessions with good food and reasonable prices.
              Too many classes. I think these tracks running more than 4 classes are chasing away fans.
              They think running 8 car classes is the answer. It is not. Too many tracks making up their own special classes. That just thins down the car counts in other classes.
              Run the classes people want to see every week. Dont keep changing. Build up your weekly car count by having them race every week. If I am going to watch sprints I want to see them each time I go or I am going to find another track to go to. Get the program moving. Dont waste my time. I want to be out of there before midnight. Have decent employees that can do the job and are people friendly and helpful. I have been to tracks where the ticket sellers were very rude and unpleasant. Dont hire the clowns. Train your staff.
              How you treat the drivers and ticket buyers is huge. Keep consistent rules.
              We all know every track has a bad night here and there but you dont want that to be the norm. People get that happens and keep supporting the track.
              Examples of tracks back from the dead doing it right.
              Mansfield good example of track that does special events. Facilities very well maintained.
              Running top notch classes. Not overdoning amount of classes. You see improvements each time you go. See the need to have less or better trained staff in some areas especially in pits and safety crews. Win for great racing special events for new track.
              Wayne county was down and out. Facility was so neglected. Currently over the past years they have really brought it back. They cleaned it up big time. Repaired the broken stuff. Not a lot of bells and whistle stuff BUT parking lot maintained, adequate portable pots, real restrooms, bleachers fixed, good selection of concession food with reasonable prices, not a lot of employees but the ones there know how to get the job done way more than some tracks and they are helpful to you. They went thru musical classes and got it down to 4 steady regular ones which I think made the track grow. Would like to see them have more than one wrecker. Rules seem consistent. They win award for track brought back to life. I move them to top notch racing programs this year.
              Attica and Fremont have good facilities. Keeping up what was there. Keeping class count down but not so fond of Fremont special classes, Moving show along. Employees trained in their jobs.
              Havent been to many other tracks last several years so there are others tracks that should be on the win list.

Comment

If the track is being bashed on social media there is usually a fair reason for it. Happy customers don't complain.

Comment

track bashing never once changed my opinion of a track or changed my plans on attending or not. The key to any race track is cars counts. you get cars and keep them coming then you will get fans. its that simple. For example lets say the brad doty was at 250 speedway next year and people get on facebook and let it be known they didn't mow nothing and the food sucks. Whos all still going knowing 50+ of the best 410's are coming???? You would be lying if your not mapquest directions trying to figure out wheres its at.

Comment

Honestly never heard of the track before ... was it called something else in the past?

As for track personnel/owners/promoter attacking the fans or social media ... kind of dumb to dump it on the fans and social media especially when we see tracks use social media to their advantage and bring in fans because of it. Think to many times tracks/promoters are stuck in the 70's/80's and don't use everything possible to try and attract new fans and update old ones with details about events. Heck their have been times when I haven't decided on going to a event until I see on social media on certain teams/drivers say they are going or they show up that day and you see the track promoting those teams at their track the day of the event.

Also that is the easy way out (of blaming social media) along with trying to shift blame to others and not look within or take suggestions on how to fix issues or try and make things better.

I don't believe most people want to take shots at tracks/promoters, but want to see them do well along with putting on a good show because for the most part the ones complaining are the ones attending those events. If that track goes away that usually means those fans have to travel further to see their racing.

Most fans want to be entertained, enjoy their night of racing, and feel like they have gotten their money's worth and feel like the track cares about their fans.

People have mentioned Attica in other threads and this is another example of having people not only care about the fans, but respond to them as well. They understand in today's world with all the entertainment options out there to respond and thank people for attending events.

Comment

Most y'all probably never heard of place cause they don't run sprints. Used to be mini sprints as headline, now think mods was headliner. Track was south east of 77 on 250 if memory serves correctly. Didn't look like much but not horrible either. That was 15yrs ago though of driving by. Thought back then was listed as 1/5th mile track also

Comment

I've seen Wagner Motorsports 250 Speedway associated with the track as well but their facebook was only 250 Speedway.

Comment

I was curious what was going on with this and did a recent search. Someone posted on the facebook page the track has been sold and will be used for mining. Looks like another track gone.

If find this conversation on what makes a track successful interesting. I went to Bloomington for the first time this summer. They have by far the worst stands I have ever seen in my life, but the place was packed. It kind of shows that if you have a division that people want to see, don't dick around, and have a track that gives you a good race, the people will show up. Nobody wants to go to a hell hole, but entertainment is the name of the game. Give me cars I want to watch, don't waste my time and I'll be back.

Comment

Oakshade would be another example. Worst facility I’ve ever been to and a “unique” collection of racers and fans. But the racing is usually competitive, the prices are affordable, and the crowd is always good.

Comment

& they don't jack around the only reason you get out of there late is the amount of cars. Or it used to be that way.

Comment

Working...
                              X