No announcement yet.

Mansfield August

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I guess the award money for winning all three goes away as well. Sorry Rusty guess you don't get paid.

Also I believe the Friday show was suppose to pay $5,000 to win and now it is down to $3,000 to win, but I know they have the $100,000 payout on Saturday which I still haven't seen a total payout purse throughout the field. Is he counting money that might go to a D, C, B-Main that might not even happen as well? The top prizes for those divisions sounds good and hopefully they pay through the field just as well.

To me, seems like a cop out especially about the Sunday racing. When was the track prepared well or when was the weather decent on Sunday besides the race after the King's Royal weekend? PA and other tracks have shown it can be done if you have a good track, move along the program, and have a good car count the fans will come out. Just look at speedweeks and also events like the Doty race, PA speedweeks, etc... Mansfield has been a special event track this year so if you have bigger events with good weather your going to get the fans/cars to come to it.

Hell I COULD have told him he wouldn't get fan support or car support if you don't promote the event especially after a big weekend of having the Doty race, and three races at Eldora. Of course your not going to get those fans because they was wiped out -- or at least I was after that week. Also knowing that Mansfield never went around to any of the teams, fans, owners, etc... to promote the event at any of those races just seems crazy. I talked to a lot of fans at the Doty and at Eldora that didn't even know that Mansfield was still racing this year let alone on Sunday after the King's Royal.

Again ... get a PR person (which with how some people are on social media wouldn't cost much and some fans would love to do it) to not only work the social media sites, push the site/track/events, answer questions in a timely manner, update your web site so fans can see updates, and when your new and not running a weekly program go to other tracks and ask to talk during the break or at the very least go walk in the pits and pass around fliers to teams showing them your schedule, your payouts, etc... Think the biggest problem is they have a promoter that isn't around enough not only at their own track, but in Ohio as well to visit other tracks.

Also hard for non-wing teams to go to Mansfield after that week along with the fact that USAC re-scheduled their IN speedweeks show for that Sunday as well. Also after what happened earlier in the year which some of it was out of their hands, but some of it was directly in their hands when they said they was going to race and then you saw all these teams go to the track and then they couldn't even get the track ran in because they didn't have any equipment. That burned a few teams when I talked with them afterwards.

I wish them well and hope Mansfield turns it around and likely I will be there at some point.

One last thing that will be interesting car count for this event because they will be counting on cars/teams/owners/drivers that haven't really supported the track this year or not many of them. I don't know many FAST teams that support Mansfield to this point or many Attica/Fremont cars so will they go there in force to make a big car count with WCS and the OSCS/Atomic guys? Will any invaders decide not to go to Knoxville or don't do well on Wednesday/Thursday night and decide to try on Saturday at Mansfield. I don't see many of the PA guys besides possibly the Lernerville/Mercer guys because the Central PA guys still continue to have races that weekend I believe or at least Williams Grove use to because teams had to race on Wednesday and then fly back to the track for Friday night. Also Lincoln is running on Saturday so even teams that don't go to Knoxville will likely not come to Ohio.

Biggest turnout will likely be non-wings and 305's ... (the silver crown cars are running at Salem so not sure how many that takes away)??

Comment

Thankyou GTigers55
      Like Eroc said the PR Is really lacking.
      Why they had a low car count and fan count was that a lot of drivers and fans did not even know they were racing.
      They never write stories or publish results which helps bring people in.
      See when the track reopened they got all kinds of free coverage but when the novelty wore off the media dropped them.
      I think they need to realize they need to spend a little on advertising.
      If they just updated the website and facebook timely with clear info, what a difference that would make.
      Also I have heard many say they sent messages or email and never got answers.

Comment

So first off, one of the stipulations in the triple crown bonus was that they had to have at least 30 cars in order for the winning of all 3 races to pay a bonus. So that was all thrown out on the first event. As for the purse please see below. Most of the information ya'll have requested is available on the website ya just gotta look. It's not like tracks actually promote the full purse very often so that's not very surprising that they haven't done that. I believe only time I've seen that this year is that big OSCS vs FAST race at Fremont. Asssuming that they only have enough cars to exactly fill the starting field fully both nights, No B mains or tow money included, the total purse across both days is $100,480 and thusly over $100k as has been advertised. You can check my math if you'd like. They haven't been perfect so far but Sommer has certainly been willing to put his money where his mouth is with all of these events. I can't blame him for cancelling the triple crown just no way he isn't losing a lot of money on that show right now.

Friday August 11th
        ($13,255 TOTAL) 410 – SPRINT CARS – F.A.S.T. / OSCS: (30 Laps) 1.) $3,000 2.) $1,500 3.) $1,000 4.) $800 5.) $700 6.) $600 7.) $500 8.) $450 9.) $415 10.) $410 11.) $370 12.) $360 13.) $350 14.) $340 15.) $330 16.) $320 17.) $310 . 18. thru 22nd.) $300 TO START

($8,900 TOTAL) 305 F.A.S.T. SPRINT CARS: (20 Laps) 1.) $2,000 2.) $800 3.) $600 4.) $500 5.) $400 6.) $375 7.) $355 8.) $345 9.) $335 10.) $320 11.) $310 12.) $305 13.) $300 14.) $275 15.) $250 16.) $220 17.) $210 . 18. thru 22nd.) $200 TO START

($10,050 TOTAL) B.O.S.S. NON WING SPRINT CARS: (20 Laps) 1.) $2,000 2.) $1,000 3.) $900 4.) $800 5.) $700 6.) $600 7.) $500 8.) $400 9.) $350 10.)$300 11. – 20.) $250 – TO START

Saturday August 12th
        ($42,700 TOTAL) 410 – SPRINT CARS – F.A.S.T. / OSCS: (40 Laps) 1.) $15,000 2.) $7,000 3.) $4,000 4.) $3,000 5.) $2,000 6.) $1,500 7.) $1,200 8.) $1,000 9.) $900 10.) $800 11.) $700 12.) $600 13.-22.) $500 TO START

($10,325) 305 F.A.S.T. SPRINT CARS: (30 Laps) 1.) $3,000 2.) $1,000 3.) $600 4.) $500 5.) $450 6.) $400 7.) $375 8.) $350 9.) $340 10.) $330 11.) $320 12.) $300 13.) $280 14.) $260 15.) $250 16.) $240 17.) $230 . 18. thru 22nd.) $220 TO START

($15,250 TOTAL) B.O.S.S. NON WING SPRINT CARS: (30 Laps) 1.) $5,000 2.) $2,000 3.) $1,000 4.) $900 5.) $800 6.) $700 7.) $600 8.) $500 9.) $400 10.)$350 11. – 20.) $300 – TO START

Comment

Have a question.
          On the fast on dirt site I was looking at the points to see what drivers might come to Mansfield.
          There are only 13 --410 sprints on points list and 19--305 sprints.
          Is that all that is running the fast series?
          It seems they will be using all the fast rules. I would like to see a healthy car count.
          Then I wonder if that is all there is, how is Mansfield going to have this big car count that he says he needs and cancelled the 3rd triple crown.
          How many people follow fast? Does it draw that many fans? I have already heard people say they are not coming because of no late models. I like to watch the late models cause it breaks up the show and they put on a good race last time. It seems he would get more fans as Mansfield is home to a fairly large late model crowd. Prefer to spend my money on a sprint and late model show combined even though I am a sprint person. Afraid the 305s will not be interesting on that big track but maybe I will be wrong.
          My final thought is how many people even know this race is happening?

Comment

Originally posted by RRacer70 View Post
            Have a question.
            On the fast on dirt site I was looking at the points to see what drivers might come to Mansfield.
            There are only 13 --410 sprints on points list and 19--305 sprints.
            Is that all that is running the fast series?
            It seems they will be using all the fast rules. I would like to see a healthy car count.
            Then I wonder if that is all there is, how is Mansfield going to have this big car count that he says he needs and cancelled the 3rd triple crown.
            How many people follow fast? Does it draw that many fans? I have already heard people say they are not coming because of no late models. I like to watch the late models cause it breaks up the show and they put on a good race last time. It seems he would get more fans as Mansfield is home to a fairly large late model crowd. Prefer to spend my money on a sprint and late model show combined even though I am a sprint person. Afraid the 305s will not be interesting on that big track but maybe I will be wrong.
            My final thought is how many people even know this race is happening?
            A lot of local drivers don't follow the FAST series full time but race more often than not race their events. Only truly 11 drivers run all the FAST races but I imagine Lee Jacobs will be there as well (He's in FAST but runs the ASCoC shows when close). The OSCS guys are also co-sanctioning the event so that'll bring up guys like Nate Reeser, Danny Smith, Josh Davis, Cole Duncan, etc. Plus I imagine 6-10 "WCS" cars with Mumaw, Brad Haud, Tyler Dunn, Jordan Ryan, Andrew Paulker, the Harble Brothers etc. Then there are the Northwest Ohio guys who don't officially follow FAST like Travis Philo, Broc Martin, Trevor Baker, Brian Smith that will/could come. Baker and Philo will likely be there I'd think. Not to mention Mercer doesn't run that night and guys like Shetler and Soderman had planned to come for ASCoC show until weather forecasts. Cale Conley and Cale Thomas I also see as likely participants. I'd put an estimated car count at 25-32

Also, same deal with FAST 305s, only 20 (Ivy has been removed from points) have followed it fully but there are always 24-30 305s at Fremont and Attica. Have read on facebook that a few from down south with racesaver may race it as well.

Non wings will maybe have a full field but Ohio just doesn't have too many of them, but BOSS brings a good support so probably 20 or so.

EDIT: Also the FAST rulebook is literally WoO/ASCoC rules for 410s, "Track rules prevail" so basically ASCoC/WoO which is what almost all 410 tracks run

Comment

Originally posted by GTigers55 View Post
              So first off, one of the stipulations in the triple crown bonus was that they had to have at least 30 cars in order for the winning of all 3 races to pay a bonus. So that was all thrown out on the first event. As for the purse please see below. Most of the information ya'll have requested is available on the website ya just gotta look. It's not like tracks actually promote the full purse very often so that's not very surprising that they haven't done that. I believe only time I've seen that this year is that big OSCS vs FAST race at Fremont. Asssuming that they only have enough cars to exactly fill the starting field fully both nights, No B mains or tow money included, the total purse across both days is $100,480 and thusly over $100k as has been advertised. You can check my math if you'd like. They haven't been perfect so far but Sommer has certainly been willing to put his money where his mouth is with all of these events. I can't blame him for cancelling the triple crown just no way he isn't losing a lot of money on that show right now.
              Actually I looked at the web site a few days ago and nothing was there including the information you provided the other day. After you posted that article I went and looked again and nothing about the purse so they are adding things as they go along. Their site isn't the easiest to find things and having to click on several different spots to try and find information makes it seem more like "click bait" than anything else. Something else to learn about most fans anymore they want the information fairly easy to find, see it, and get out or move on to their next site, etc... Most fans aren't going to click on 4-5 different spots on one site to try and find out information.

They talk very little about the practice day on the "fan info" besides showing pit pass prices. So does that mean any fan can go, but has to pay pit pass prices or is it free to the fans, etc... Sometimes being simpler is a lot easier than being so complicated too.

As for tracks posting the purses ... well at some of the bigger events they do. Most tracks if you look hard enough show their weekly purses as well.

As for losing the triple crown I think he could have ran it at another time and been fine especially when you think about it they are racing till the middle of Oct at Mansfield, but trying to put races after a big weekend (such as Kings Royal) or when you know most of the country/area isn't looking towards your track area seems like trying to compete with the big boys when your just starting out seems like a business plan that is trying to lose business.

I NEVER like when stipulations are part of a deal no matter if it is in racing or in your everyday life ... just seems kind of messed up especially when it isn't the racers fault on it. Why should some be punished for others not attending? I understand that a lot of tracks count on the backgate to help pay for the purse, but should a few cars less make a difference in giving away a bonus?

I applaud him for bringing Mansfield back and hope he does well and I am likely going to the All-Star show if they don't have issues again.

Comment

Yeah they've certainly been adding info as the events crawl closer. I'm thinking coming around to season two they'll be able to have time to hammer out the details over winter and have everything there to start with instead of adding as they go along. Also I believe in a facebook post they mentioned it is indeed free to watch as a spectator on Thursday August 10th. It was free the one Sunday I went to watch the Kingan's and a couple Late Models turn laps.

Comment

Originally posted by GTigers55 View Post
                  Yeah they've certainly been adding info as the events crawl closer. I'm thinking coming around to season two they'll be able to have time to hammer out the details over winter and have everything there to start with instead of adding as they go along. Also I believe in a facebook post they mentioned it is indeed free to watch as a spectator on Thursday August 10th. It was free the one Sunday I went to watch the Kingan's and a couple Late Models turn laps.
                  Think the owner needs to be more hands on (meaning moving here) or hire somebody to be a general manager to take care of things on a daily basis whether it is at the track, media, etc... and be more active in the area and surrounding other tracks and visit those places when your not running. That is the only way of getting free advertising along with getting in front of your audience to be in front of sprint car/late model fans at the track along with those important drivers/teams/owners.

First thing I would do in the off-season or even right now is hire a social media person for their web site and twitter account. Make the web site more user friendly with all the information in a easy one click action.

Second thing, put some money into advertising ... doesn't have to be much, but some billboards around an hour or less from the track on major roads. Heck I seen one for Eldora right by my house in-between Tiffin and Attica not that long ago for their big races the past couple of years. Just a reminder that they are open. Let people know that the track is open, special events style, and remind them about the track. You allow people to forget or go elsewhere before you know it they don't know your still open or even running an event.

Again not my money, but you would think the little it cost for advertising they would probably make it up with these reminders on social media and radio/billboard that your open for business.

Comment

Eroc: you ever do business ad in local paper? Just recently we placed ad in the Tiffin advertiser and was nice size but 3 days was $500!!! Your right social media is cheap but print is definitely not and how many really see it? It used to be (10+ yrs ago) $1/day on billboard but I'm certain since then cost has risen. I'm not dismissing your ideas but are they the right money spent where should be spent. You certainly have ideas how a track should be run but you have no money invested. I'd love to see your personal money out there being spent

Comment

Originally posted by Jim11h View Post
                      Eroc: you ever do business ad in local paper? Just recently we placed ad in the Tiffin advertiser and was nice size but 3 days was $500!!! Your right social media is cheap but print is definitely not and how many really see it? It used to be (10+ yrs ago) $1/day on billboard but I'm certain since then cost has risen. I'm not dismissing your ideas but are they the right money spent where should be spent. You certainly have ideas how a track should be run but you have no money invested. I'd love to see your personal money out there being spent
                      I NEVER MENTIONED LOCAL PAPERS!

Also mentioned it wasn't my money just like it isn't your money!

As for billboards ... I would put them as I said near busy roads along with near race tracks such as Attica and Wayne County so race fans that go to those tracks might see them.

The only "old school" advertising I would do anymore would be on radio stations (not newspapers) I heard Mansfield did early on, but I would have included some more stations which was in the Tiffin/Findlay/Fostoria (which would cover a lot of area especially if your choosing a radio channel like 103.7 or others that would hit a big market area as well ... maybe they were, but I never heard them, but that doesn't mean they didn't either.

Thanks for reading!

Again was at the Doty race whether it was in the pits wondering around or in the stands and never heard or seen anything from Mansfield, was down at Eldora from Thursday morning till Sunday morning and didn't hear or see anything about Mansfield once again. Four huge races and great car counts along with great crowds and (IMO) missed a great opportunity to promote the Mansfield track.

The only time it was mentioned in my area is when a guy from Findlay asked me if I have been to the Mansfield track (since he found out where I lived in the area) yet and he said it was a shame they couldn't make it work this year and that is when I brought up the Sunday race and he didn't even know anything about it. Then talked to a couple of guys in the pits that worked on various teams and they didn't know anything about it either when I asked them if they was going to Mansfield which included Ian Madsen's team who just found out about it on Saturday at the King's Royal.

Again not my money or time, but if I owned or was working for Mansfield I would have been at Attica and Eldora handing out fliers to every team that participated at Attica or Eldora that weekend which showed the date, future schedule, and payouts ... but that is just me. Then likely just walked around the campgrounds during the day, wear some Mansfield gear and talk to fans and let them know about the track and if they have been to it yet since switching over to dirt. Would of asked Attica and Eldora if I could have spoken during a break in the action to promote that Sunday race along with a great time to mention about the Great Lakes August race. I know both tracks have done that in the past with surrounding tracks for various events that didn't compete with them.

Comment

"Again not my money, but you would think the little it cost for advertising they would probably make it up with these reminders on social media and radio/billboard that your open for business."

Have you ever owned a business and or had to pay for advertising? The cost is more than a little. I think Jim11H's point was that it is outrageous to run an ad even in the paper. I can assure you the cost of advertising is very expensive. Especially on a popular radio station. Especially for a billboard on a major road with high traffic. It is also expensive to hire a full-time general manager. Social media is a good way to get the word out for free but if you hire a social media person, as you say, is it really free? It just isn't as easy to run a successful business as some people think. There is way more that goes into it that people don't know about or even think about. Anyone that has ever owned or ran a business knows exactly what I am talking about.

Comment

Wayne County has a nice billboard up on 30 near Mansfield that I always notice.
                          They also do some radio ads on local station that many people comment on their ads.
                          How expensive is advertising if it brings you people in. Some people dont even know mansfield is still racing or even open. Not everyone out there knows they have a website or FB. Especially if you are trying to attract new people.
                          A few well placed radio ads or do a giveaway to get sone radio coverage could be a good choice.
                          I would also look to the bargain hunter, shoppers or weekly free papers delivered to everyone where the ads are much cheaper.
                          Even being at local festivals or events would give them coverage.
                          They had lots of coverage when they opened and then it went away. Then the crowds did not show up for the Sunday race. I was amazed at how many people did not know they were racing that I talked to.
                          Maybe they do have a media person who is doing website and FB. They are just doing a poor job of updating and the layout of the web page. This is the worst racetrack web page I have visited.
                          It does make you think of clickbait. They really need to improve it.
                          Just some changes would help them.
                          There are ways to advertise without spending a fortune.

Comment

I forgot about this Friday's USAC Silver Crown Rollie Beale Classic 100 lapper at Toledo until I saw their 1/4 page Ad in the local newspaper. Now, I'll be attending. There are certain operating expenses that are necessary to obtain business . In the entertainment business, it's advertising , and in a variety of forms. And yes, I have worked for businesses AND owned businesses in my lifetime. The only businesses I am familiar with who tried to operate with bare minimum operating expenses are no longer in business.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaniac1 View Post
                              Have you ever owned a business and or had to pay for advertising? The cost is more than a little. I think Jim11H's point was that it is outrageous to run an ad even in the paper. I can assure you the cost of advertising is very expensive. Especially on a popular radio station. Especially for a billboard on a major road with high traffic. It is also expensive to hire a full-time general manager. Social media is a good way to get the word out for free but if you hire a social media person, as you say, is it really free? It just isn't as easy to run a successful business as some people think. There is way more that goes into it that people don't know about or even think about. Anyone that has ever owned or ran a business knows exactly what I am talking about.
                              If your a new company/new track and your not running on a regular basis where people know what they are going to do on that day/night people start forgetting about you and look elsewhere for their entertainment dollars. If that is the case you better have a pile of money if your not going to put an effort into advertising because not many people know about it or likely will show up. Then wonder why nobody showed up to a Sunday race after a long week of racing in Ohio.

Originally posted by RRacer70 View Post
                              Wayne County has a nice billboard up on 30 near Mansfield that I always notice.
                              They also do some radio ads on local station that many people comment on their ads.
                              How expensive is advertising if it brings you people in. Some people dont even know mansfield is still racing or even open. Not everyone out there knows they have a website or FB. Especially if you are trying to attract new people.
                              A few well placed radio ads or do a giveaway to get sone radio coverage could be a good choice.
                              I would also look to the bargain hunter, shoppers or weekly free papers delivered to everyone where the ads are much cheaper.
                              Even being at local festivals or events would give them coverage.
                              They had lots of coverage when they opened and then it went away. Then the crowds did not show up for the Sunday race. I was amazed at how many people did not know they were racing that I talked to.
                              Maybe they do have a media person who is doing website and FB. They are just doing a poor job of updating and the layout of the web page. This is the worst racetrack web page I have visited.
                              It does make you think of clickbait. They really need to improve it.
                              Just some changes would help them.
                              There are ways to advertise without spending a fortune.
                              Exactly ... and a lot of times a PR person or somebody that is working the social media for the track could easily be paid with all the extra people they are likely to bring in with keeping people in the know about the race events at the track. Again hard to keep track of that type of stat, but willing to bet if Mansfield had a social media person such as Attica does (I know Attica has a really good system) I am betting a lot more people in the stands along with teams in the pit area as well because they tell people about the events along with answering almost every-bodies questions at least on twitter.

People are getting their panties in a bunch and act like everybody in Ohio and all of the sprint car world knows that Mansfield is still running races and when those races are taking place.

If Wayne County can afford a billboard I am betting Mansfield could as well ...

Heck if the stories of Ian Madsen doesn't faze anybody in thinking that Mansfield doesn't have a problem of telling fans, drivers, owners, teams that they have a race than I don't know what will.

When a "invader" comes to town and he is coming to Attica, Eldora, and Lernerville without even knowing about Mansfield that is a problem. Again if I was a "PR" person for the track and knew he was coming I would have sent the team an e-mail/tweet telling them about the Mansfield race date and hope to see them there.

Comment

Originally posted by ErocWolverine View Post

If your a new company/new track and your not running on a regular basis where people know what they are going to do on that day/night people start forgetting about you and look elsewhere for their entertainment dollars. If that is the case you better have a pile of money if your not going to put an effort into advertising because not many people know about it or likely will show up. Then wonder why nobody showed up to a Sunday race after a long week of racing in Ohio.

Exactly ... and a lot of times a PR person or somebody that is working the social media for the track could easily be paid with all the extra people they are likely to bring in with keeping people in the know about the race events at the track. Again hard to keep track of that type of stat, but willing to bet if Mansfield had a social media person such as Attica does (I know Attica has a really good system) I am betting a lot more people in the stands along with teams in the pit area as well because they tell people about the events along with answering almost every-bodies questions at least on twitter.

People are getting their panties in a bunch and act like everybody in Ohio and all of the sprint car world knows that Mansfield is still running races and when those races are taking place.

If Wayne County can afford a billboard I am betting Mansfield could as well ...

Heck if the stories of Ian Madsen doesn't faze anybody in thinking that Mansfield doesn't have a problem of telling fans, drivers, owners, teams that they have a race than I don't know what will.

When a "invader" comes to town and he is coming to Attica, Eldora, and Lernerville without even knowing about Mansfield that is a problem. Again if I was a "PR" person for the track and knew he was coming I would have sent the team an e-mail/tweet telling them about the Mansfield race date and hope to see them there.
                                Anyone else think Eroc should apply for the PR job that he is rambling about? He seems to have it all figured out anyhow, somebody might as well pay him for his posts! I know pitgate isn't

Comment

Working...
                                X