NRA/GLSS and ASCS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NRA/GLSS and ASCS

Something I was thinking lately is with how many of the GLSS and NRA events have been cosanctioned this year, is it possible that it could meld into a new ASCS regional tour? I'm not sure if this would help or hurt the 360s in the area but with the travel many of the drivers do competing in the cosanctioned events this year I don't see how it could hurt too much personally unless the ASCS takes a bigger chunk than I think. I was just thinking if you establish a regional tour in the area then it's possible the point funds would increase and get more drivers in 360s in the MI/OH area and maybe even lead to the participating tracks getting an ASCS National tour event at some point. Is there much of a difference in rulesets between the NRA/GLSS and ASCS that could inhibit a transition due to costs if one were to take place?

I'd like to finally clarify this is just my speculation and starting discussion, to my knowledge there is no validity of this occurring. On a final note, I think the Great Lakes ASCS region sounds good as far as a regional name.

There used to be a Gloss ( Great Lakes Outlaw Super Sprints )(410's) sanction a few yrs ago. Some of our local NRA guys would travel up there if there was nothing going on around here before. Brett Mann from there has not come down here in along time same with Tim Allison going up there.

Sounds good & if someone could make it happen then more power to them. I really think Hammonds could do more as UNOH was pretty happy with what they had (My belief anyways).

They also had a tournament of champions around here that was really cool. Involved ESS, URC, Knoxville, NRA & & I believe ASCS. Had it at Eldora, Limaland & then Knoxville a couple of years & I guess it just fell apart.

Comment

Basically the answer is being a ASCS region gets you nothing from the home office other than putting your schedule on their website. Look at SOD and Patriots who at one time both were ASCS regions but after a few years they figured out they really got no benefit and in some cases it cost them sponsorship as some potential sponsors conflicted with ASCS ones. Basically the NRA/GLSS have combined forces this year but can't really say it has been a success as only 2-3 MI have traveled to OH shows and 5-6 OH guys have traveled to MI shows and each show has averaged around 22 cars. Should be interesting to see what happens in 2018.

Comment

Emmett Hahn ASCS bought out THE SPRINT BANDITS about 20 years ago with one thing in mind to shut them down which is exactly what he did because he viewed them as a threat so please leave ASCS out where they belong and not in OHIO.

Comment

NRA at one time was actually a part of ASCS. This would have been around 20 years ago as DERF mentioned. They used to be known as the Sprint Bandits, and during the initial 360 Tournament of Champions that Sprintcarfanatic mentioned their team was ASCS-Bandits. I didn't know that the NRA was an actually different group altogether, I just thought that they had evolved over time from Sprint Bandits to NRA.

SOD was also an ASCS group at one time maybe a decade ago, but that's obviously changed. The only reason GLSS exists is because SOD changed their rules so drastically prior to 2016. (The GLOSS 410 series that Sprintcarfanatic brought up was born from the Auto Value Super Sprints going to a pavement-only schedule. It didn't last very long.)

So, ASCS has been around in both regions before and for whatever reason isn't here anymore. I can't say whether that's a good or bad thing, just that it's been tried.

Comment

When Hahn bought it they were called the Challenger Sprint series never put ASCS and the Bandits as the same even though to this day ASCS owns all the rights to the names and logos very sad day when this happened. Ruined 360 racing in Ohio.

Comment

NRA was never part of ASCS.

Comment

The blue collar series like SOD, FAST, GLSS, BOSS, OSCS, seem to work out better for the local racer so I would just leave it be and get some ASCS shows up here if you can

Comment

Its interesting to know that all these different bodies encompassed the region at one time and that the ASCS had previously had tours here. Stuff I never knew before. I can see now why they'd stay independent, just never knew if there was a real reason behind it and it sounds like there are some good points to why there isn't a regional tour.

Comment

Thanks for setting me straight, DERF.

Comment

I know an older couple had the NRA & I believe they sold it to UNOH. When they had a bigger paying race 1 time they charged 200 dollars if you were not a member. Can't remember the guys name but he raced Wayne County, came over & loaded it back up & left. Ask John Hawk what that was all about & he told me about the fee.
                      I do believe a dude named Potter was the tech guy.

Comment

Potts was tech guy, but your close.

Comment

I don't think any older couple owned NRA. The only couple I remember who owned a series was Keith and Betty McCall, from Toledo, who owned SOD for many years. During their ownership SOD was a 410 Sprint series. During their tenure , SOD raced mostly in Michigan, but with regular appearances at Bryan Speedway and occasionally at Fremont. They later sold it and it morphed into a 360 series. It was never affiliated with NRA, which if my memory is correct, was started by Ken Langhals, Delphos, Ohio, who also owned and rebuilt Limaland, and owned Millstream and also leased Fremont. This was an era when there were attempts made to replace 410 racing in northern Ohio with 360's, which fortunately did not happen. There was a brief period, however, when Millstram and Fremont largely ran 360's during the Langhals ownership era. Lastly, during that time frame they called the 360's the " Sprint Bandits ", and there was a 3 tiered purse structure. I might have not have this 100% correct, but it's pretty close.

Comment

Keith and Betty McCall DID run the NRA in the early 2000's when it was sponsored by Ohio Lottery, during that period Jason Fausey had took over SOD from Duane Turner

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Curlis View Post
                              Keith and Betty McCall DID run the NRA in the early 2000's when it was sponsored by Ohio Lottery, during that period Jason Fausey had took over SOD from Duane Turner
                              Ok thanks. I didn't give any thought to the early 2000's, so your recollection is correct. And, I completely forgot about Jason Fausey. When SOD was 410's, I thought the McCalls did a nice job of owning and running the series. When 360's entered the picture , it was a challenge to try to book a 410 race in the state of Michigan, because the cost of a 360 event was lower for the promoters. I remember more than one Michigan promoter telling me that fans didn't care whether the motor was a 410 or 360. 😀

Comment

Working...
                              X