Oakshade

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oakshade

Girlfriend was wanting to head up to the Cabela's in Dundee MI from where she lives in BG and was planning on swinging down from the Cabela's to visit Oakshade. I checked their results and saw that the car counts there are absolutely outstanding week in and week out with about 30+ LM, 20ish Sportsmans and Compacts, and nearly 50 Bombers. I did want to ask with how many cars they get, is the show usually ran pretty efficient and get out at a decent hour? The trip to MI and races will make for a long day just wanna make sure its not too long. Thanks for any help, haven't been there so thought might try it out.

They move along pretty descent but they do typically do an intermission before A's. They usually do something for the kids that are there.

Comment

Food is good and it's cheap. Restrooms are little dated. Their nachos kick butt

Comment

Imagine running 360's with those classes GTigers55 & that's exactly what they used to do & for only 10 bucks minus the compacts. If you decide to leave before it's over you will still have gotten your money's worth.

Comment

Originally posted by Sprintcarfanatic View Post
          Imagine running 360's with those classes GTigers55 & that's exactly what they used to do & for only 10 bucks minus the compacts. If you decide to leave before it's over you will still have gotten your money's worth.
          Yeah I was gonna ask that if they had ever ran sprints there. Have they ever ran 410s there or is the track too small/dangerous (I've heard those used as reasons for other tracks in past) to run em there?

Comment

They used to run 410s as well. Track is far from too small but fencing not adequate

Comment

Originally posted by GTigers55 View Post

Yeah I was gonna ask that if they had ever ran sprints there. Have they ever ran 410s there or is the track too small/dangerous (I've heard those used as reasons for other tracks in past) to run em there?
              I graduated from U of Toledo in '99, and the guy who ran the machine shop at the College of Engineering at that time crewed sprints in the '80s and told me an interesting story from Oakshade. Apparently at one point back in the day there was a theory that tires responded better if they were cooled off rapidly after a session on track, like being doused with water or similar. He told me that one time to accomplish this as quickly as possible they actually stopped their driver on the edge of the track to take the tires off...didn't even let him get back to the pits!

Comment

Believe it or not, there was actually a World of Outlaws race there in 1978, 79, or 80. I'm certain of it because I was there. I can't remember who won, but I do remember there were no pits off turns 1 & 2, and that Steve Kinser ( driving the white number 11 ) lost a wheel and it went bounding through the corn field. Also In attendance was the west coast star, Gary ( The Preacher ) Patterson. During the first few years of the WoO, there were some races run for just $ 2000 to win, and that was one of them. I also attended 410 races there on Sunday nights in the late 70's to early 80's. I recall they ran on alternating Sunday evenings. Larry Boos might have been the promoter of those. They also ran a few Wednesday night open comp specials in the late 80's to early 90's, and the car I sponsored at that time competed in them. In the mid to late 1990's, they ran 360's, but no Sprints now for years. My time frames on this thread may be a little off but close enough.

Comment

Working...
                X