Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top Ten things from Great Lakes Nationals!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top Ten things from Great Lakes Nationals!

10. Start times do not matter
    9. Since when do we start 22 cars and save 2 for provisionals.
    8. Picking up cars and carrying them off the track may have been more efficient.
    7.Cutting laps at 2am seemed a little too late when that's what everyone was waiting to see all night.
    6. 10 hours without a cooler really sucks.
    5. car counts were excellent.
    4. Qualifying 140* cars may take awhile.
    3. Jimmy Seger did not go on the restart.
    2. Start Times do not matter
    1. Congrats to Armstrong, seger, and kekich to be entered into the 100k race next year and all the other winners at the great lakes marathon.

Originally posted by mudinmybeer View Post
    10. Start times do not matter
    9. Since when do we start 22 cars and save 2 for provisionals.
    8. Picking up cars and carrying them off the track may have been more efficient.
    7.Cutting laps at 2am seemed a little too late when that's what everyone was waiting to see all night.
    6. 10 hours without a cooler really sucks.
    5. car counts were excellent.
    4. Qualifying 140* cars may take awhile.
    3. Jimmy Seger did not go on the restart.
    2. Start Times do not matter
    1. Congrats to Armstrong, seger, and kekich to be entered into the 100k race next year and all the other winners at the great lakes marathon.
    Haven't decided if should go to bed or get to work ... hahaha.

They was going by "west coast" time when they told people on twitter yesterday 7:00pm sharp when asked about when the first race would push off.

Going to save my comments for later, but the only thing I will say is this:

This management, track, promoter, and facilities aren't ready for a "BIG" event yet. They have a lot of bugs to work out before trying to attempt the 100,000 to win race!

Comment

They did group qualify and put on the hot laps efficiently once they started them and needed to have the cars hitting the tracks at 6. If that happened it wouldn't have been near as late. But to be fair about the qualifying, you can't have 140 cars at your track and just not let them hotlap which is what they were basically doing. Yeah very very late night realllyyyyyyyyyyy need to get better at starting near on time. I told my dad they just need to advertise racing at 7:30 or 8 so it doesn't seem like they missed it by as much. I don't think Sommer expected the car counts he had last night, at all. gotta get better still but hell at least the track was nice for once!!!

Comment

First off I loved the facility and track. That said, the way things are right now is a logistical nightmare for sprint car racing. Having 140 cars had nothing to do with not starting qualifying on time or the pit mule parade before each race.There HAS to be a better way to push cars off for each race instead of using 4 wheelers & pit mules to push cars all the way around the freaking track. Maybe cut an opening in the pit wall in turn 4 or get more push trucks and fire them from the chute. For this World Championship race next year they need to seriously consider unloading everyone in the infield like Knoxville.

When they realized how slow things were going they probably should've scrapped 305 qualifying. And if you are going to group qualify,.....GROUP QUALIFY. Don't send out 3 cars at a time like with the BOSS cars. You could've qualified them one at a time quicker. Hell Waynesfield group qualifies 7-8 at a time.

I was just glad they ran the make-up BOSS race 1st so I actually got to see a feature. I had family with me and had to throw in the towel after the 410 winged heats at 11:00 with a 2 hour ride home.

I hope they keep at it, I really want to go back but not until they get things ironed out.

Comment

The reason they don't fire the cars from the chute is the push trucks would have to cycle all the way back to the pits and down. I hate to say it but I think that is the fastest way with the layout of the track. They were qualifying yes, but also keep in mind this doubled as hotlaps. You can't put cars out to race, especially sprints, without at least giving the drivers 2-4 laps to get engine warm and allow them to tune. BOSS ran 10 cars at a time for group qualifying so not sure where you're getting at there. The winged 410s ran groups of 3-5 cars not the nonwings. Bright side, racing was pretty good all night! I like the 305s watching them at Attica/Fremont but that track is just so hard for them to pass it seemed, even in heats. Just not enough horsepower to go outside. Wonder if they'll be back next year or not.

Biggest thing is: Start on time for hotlaps, Other than that, I think Mansfield tried their damndest to run an efficient show and if it weren't for the probably 20 or so cautions and 5-6 reds throughout the night just didn't help them at all with time. But that's racing, sometimes you'll have that. I think Sommer didn't expect the turn out he had, and even with that in mind yes, start in time. That's the big takeaway. Races wouldn't have started until 8 probably even if the first hotlap session was out there right at 6 with so many cars. But you've gotta give everyone their practice laps, even if you pill drawed the lineups.

Comment

Did they have the cars lined up and ready to go?
            Were there long delays between races?
            Were there many red flag situations?
            How were the wreckers on clearing the track?
            Was there a big crowd?
            How were the lines for tickets and concessions?
            What were the hilights?
            Family commitment kept me from Saturday s show?
            Like hearing the thoughts from those that were there.

Comment

Cars weren't lined up, there was a long gap between everything, wreckers were slow, crowd was great, lines werent no different then any other tracks big shows. Bathrooms never had lines when I was down there. Highlights, the 410 feature was cut to 20 laps after 2 red flags to start the race. One was a 8 car pile up on the back stretch. On a later restart jimmy seger didn't take off at the start cone and was penalized one spot and cost him the win. By the end of the night/305 feature the track was no passing and Dustin stroup got the pole and ran with it. Even the boss feature before the 410 had cottle out front and he was gone.

All in all it was good night and good show just had small things that need fixed to run a show of that level. The problem is having 3 divisions of sprints with that track configuration. To say they didn't expect 140 cars is a lie. The boss series big money races at Fremont draw 50 cars, and u knew the 20 were coming for double features and at least 10 others, The 305s always have close to 30 and with 3k to win u have to expect 10 others. The 410 had it sanctioned by fast and oscs which travel around 10 each and WCS not running them gives you at least 30. So in all are they surprised they got 40 extra cars.... No and to be honest if Sharon didn't run 410s last night they would have got 10-15 more cars. The only way to fix the long night with 3 sprint divisions is to change the track configuration of enter and exit or starting them. Or run a different division that can be lined up in the hole like late models, mods, or street stocks.

Comment

Another thing worth noting is that the 100k don't need to be sanctioned by the outlaws. If they schedule against it out on the west coast I wouldn't care. Cars are coming from far away and loving Mansfield. Seeing the eastern,pa cars there last night and planning on coming back is really cool. lernerville cant even get them to come to there tracks big shows. You might not have the 15 traveling outlaws but your going to get 100 cars from all over. Im surprised the posse hasn't claimed Mansfield as theirs yet. Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by GTigers55 View Post
                  BOSS ran 10 cars at a time for group qualifying so not sure where you're getting at there. The winged 410s ran groups of 3-5 cars not the nonwings.
                  Sorry, I had that wrong. I know one of the groups had 3 out there at a time. It was all a blur after awhile.

Comment

I was with wife in hospital til 345am...can anyone post a results list?

Comment

Originally posted by mudinmybeer View Post
                      Another thing worth noting is that the 100k don't need to be sanctioned by the outlaws. If they schedule against it out on the west coast I wouldn't care. Cars are coming from far away and loving Mansfield. Seeing the eastern,pa cars there last night and planning on coming back is really cool. lernerville cant even get them to come to there tracks big shows. You might not have the 15 traveling outlaws but your going to get 100 cars from all over. Im surprised the posse hasn't claimed Mansfield as theirs yet. Lol.
                      The show lasts 7 hours, the main event is cut to 20 laps because half the field crashes, sounds like the track needs some help. I hope there is some organization whether it be the Outlaws or All Stars that can come in and help w the structuring.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybo777 View Post
                        NonWing Makeup: Dustin Smith, Chad Wilson, Paul Dues, Michael Fischesser, Tyler Gunn, Justin Owen, Matt Cooley, Aaron Middaugh, Bob McMillan, Jeremy Shambaugh, Buddy Lowther, Jeremy Duposki, Steve Little, Rick Holley, Dallas Hewitt, Kirk Jeffries, Riley van Hise, Joe Butera, Andy Feil, Curtis Muhlenkamp. Little on back all DNFd due to crashes/mechanical issues
                        NonWing $5k: Shane Cottle, Michael Fischesser, Dustin Smith, CJ Leary, #9G, Cooper Clouse, Landon Simon, Dave Darland, Dallas Hewitt, Chad Wilson, Tyler Gunn, #18, Justin Owen, Matt Westfall... There are more but all I have are numbers to go off of for names and I don't know nonwingers very well yet.
                        FAST/OSCS 410 $15k to win:
                        C. Armstrong A. Kekich J. Seger M. Smith B. Zearfoss D. Smith DJ Foos B. Reed C. Conley T. Philo R. Smith T. Gunn D. Jacobs C. Helms N. Reeser C. Mintz C. Andrews C. Gulick B. Rose R. Ruhl D. Cisney C. Thomas M. Wagner B. Lay
                        FAST 305s
                        Dustin Stroup, Brandon Moore, Kelsey Ivy, Jamie Miller were top 4, some were scored by hand so can't just go off race monitor. I THINK it's Weaver 5th and Bova 6th.

Comment

Originally posted by dsc1600 View Post

The show lasts 7 hours, the main event is cut to 20 laps because half the field crashes, sounds like the track needs some help. I hope there is some organization whether it be the Outlaws or All Stars that can come in and help w the structuring.
                          The track had nothing to do with half the field crashing. The big pile up on the back stretch was from either bill rose or the #14 from new York getting sideways in front of other cars doing 110mph. Just a bad spot to lose whether it was driver error or contact im not sure. Same with mintz trying to avoid seger getting sideways on the initial start that caused that wreck. I didn't see if there was contact or what caused seger to get loose. Track conditions were really good but did have a big cushion which is normal. Structuring is easy.... Just don't schedule 3 divisions of cars that need push started until you get the track reconfigured to accommodate sprint cars better.

Comment

Having been to over 2500 races in 27 states over 62 years, I feel confident in saying : It is absolutely IMPOSSIBLE to fire motors, hot lap / qualify 140 race cars in 60 minutes ( reference their Ad which stated hot laps / qualify at 6 and race at 7 ). Something is seriously wrong here, and no, it is not the standard excuse of " startup problems ". This will be my last post ever about this track. They are creating a permanent black eye on themselves. Frankly, I'll be shocked if they make it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybo777 View Post
                              A-Main - (20 Laps)
                              1. 7CA-Caleb Armstrong[2] ; 2. 5K-Adam Kekich[5] ; 3. 2-Jimmy Seger[1] ; 4. M1-Mark Smith[3] ; 5. 3Z-Brock Zearfoss[12] ; 6. 4-Danny Smith[6] ; 7. 23-DJ Foos[21] ; 8. 5R-Byron Reed[9] ; 9. 7K-Cale Conley[7] ; 10. 5T-Travis Philo[10] ; 11. 59S-Ryan Smith[13] ; 12. 68G-Tyler Gunn[17] ; 13. 8-Dean Jacobs[8] ; 14. 17-Caleb Helms[20] ; 15. 83X-Nate Reeser[23] ; 16. 11N-Craig Mintz[4] ; 17. 16-Chris Andrews[14] ; 18. 14-Coleman Gulick[16] ; 19. 6-Bill Rose[11] ; 20. 24-Ryan Ruhl[18] ; 21. 5-Dylan Cisney[22] ; 22. 91-Cale Thomas[15] ; 23. 55-Mike Wagner[19] ; 24. 45L-Brian Lay[24]

A-Main - (20 Laps)
                              1. 21-Dustin Stroup[1] ; 2. 7M-Brandon Moore[2] ; 3. 20I-Kelsey Ivy[6] ; 4. 66-Jamie Miller[5] ; 5. 1W-Paul Weaver[10] ; 6. 20B-Cody Bova[7] ; 7. 1-Nate Dussel[11] ; 8. 77I-John Ivy[3] ; 9. 26-Thomas Meseraull[8] ; 10. 25-Jason Keckler[4] ; 11. 11G-Luke Griffith[9] ; 12. 2F-Matt Foos[13] ; 13. 36-Seth Schneider[18] ; 14. 4*-Tyler Street[14] ; 15. 8-Bobby Clark[19] ; 16. 19R-Steve Rando[12] ; 17. 11X-Jordan Ryan[17] ; 18. 2L-Landon Lalonde[20] ; 19. 12-Kyle Capodice[16] ; 20. 9R-Dustin Rall[23] ; 21. 47-Matt Lucius[21] ; 22. 99-Alvin Roepke[15] ; 23. 10J-CJ Jones[22] ; 24. 27K-Jeremy Kornbau[24]

2018 Racin' Chasin' Counter: - Starts Feb 1st, 2018
                              2017 Racin' Chasin' Counter: 57 Races @ 30 Tracks; (7-Rain Outs)
                              2016 Racin' Chasin' Counter: 59 Races @ 28 Tracks; (15-Rain Outs)
                              2015 Racin' Chasin' Counter: 56 Races @ 25 Tracks; (12-Rain Outs)

Comment

Working...
                              X