New Dirt Track Coming Near Cincinatti

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Dirt Track Coming Near Cincinatti

A new dirt track is under construction at Edgewater Motorsports Park. There is an exsisting and active drag strip and they are near the testing phase on a new dirt track at the same site. The track will be racing on Friday nights according to @21MRacing on twitter (Link to initial post here: https://twitter.com/21MRacing/status/905857042904227845 ). The track is going to be a 3/8ths track. Said they are hoping to run sprint cars there according to 21M Racing. Very good for our sport to continue growing into new regions and new areas. For better reference of location, it is literally about 15-20 minutes northeast of Lawrenceburg. If they run the same classes (Nonwing, Mods, Bombers, and hornets) the track should do quite well I imagine. Hoping for the best!

Edgefield.jpg

I guess I don't necessarily see the need for another dirt track. Earlier this year I was reading about how we had too many tracks and they needed to be thinned out. Now a big announcement that another track is being built. Is the person backing this venture a promoter or have a race track background?

You say they are hoping to run sprint cars but nothing I see tells what type. Wing or traditional? You mention the closeness to Lawrenceburg and if they run the same classes the track should do quite well. I've heard so many complain that Lawrenceburg went to a 3/8 configuration and that is part of the reason that they have struggled some with car counts Hard on equipment and motors. Surprised to see another 3/8 track being proposed. Also Lawrenceburg is traditional sprints and most all of Ohio is wing country.

The location is also somewhat surprising to me also. Is there a huge need in this area for another track? Currently they have Moler which runs I believe on Friday nights, Lawrenceburg and Florence which are both Saturday night tracks within approximately 30? mile area. Also Twin Cities and Route 44 Speedways in Indiana are relatively close by as well. Where exactly do they plan on getting cars and fans? It would seem to me that unless there are more cars racing then I have seen or read about, that this might be a difficult venture. Pulling cars and fans from other tracks isn't a successful business plan in my opinion.

I hope that it is a huge success but I certainly have my doubts.

Comment

I'd imagine if they ran weekly sprints it'd have to be in the NonWings. There isn't any other nearby nonwing tracks on Friday's and I feel that having two tracks in close proximity to each other (with 'Burg) running nonwings it could be a boon to both tracks car counts. Theres quite a few non wing drivers from the Cincy area so I imagine that' they'd be able to draw a good count with that. I think running Mini Stocks and Bombers/PureStocks could be both good classes due to a healthy population between 'Burg and Florence. Modifieds could also be a class from the area but that would compete directly with Moler as well as Route 44 and Twin Cities so unsure if that's the wisest Idea. However, I could see Limited Late Models being a good option for a 4th class. Those are ran at Florence so they would draw cars from that area for Friday night I'd imagine. Actually, looking at surrounding tracks having Super Lates would be a very smart idea if they could afford to do a purse for both Late Models and Non wings. What would be a brilliant Idea I think is if they followed the model atomic runs with having two headliners which rotate dates. That could work very well. And then have Bombers and mini stocks run as support.

The track is an hour away from Moler to the east, but I really don't think that the two tracks will actually draw against each other that much. I imagine most of the draw for this track will be from far Southeast OH and IN/KY. Lawrenceburg and Florence are both very close in proximity. Probably not more than a 30 minute drive. To be honest, based on car counts I really don't see Route 44 being around for very much longer. I enjoyed my visit to the track but it seems that once the novelty wore off cars quit going. They've had a full field of 20 cars only twice in their headliner of Modifieds since June, and most of the time all 3 classes are below 15 based on the results from their track.

As for the promoter, no idea honestly. If it is the person who owns the drag strip than they certainly do have experience with running a race track in some facet but unsure on dirt/oval knowledge.

I do think that actually the location and time to race is a brilliant Idea. It's very close to a large population in Cincinnati, and if they provide a decent racing surface the success of tracks like Florence and Lawrenceburg could really help. I would love to visit this place if I'm still down here in Dayton when it opens. It'd have to have an April show next year though or I'll be graduated and gone otherwise!

Comment

There was once a beautiful new track in the Cincinnati area, built in the late 1960's. Opened as a dirt track and called Tri County Speedway, in the northern Cincinnati area known as West Chester, Ohio. I saw USAC Sprint Cars race there . It was later paved and renamed Queen City Speedway. I saw USAC Sprints race there on the pavement also. It was about a 2 minute drive off I-75. It eventually went bankrupt like the Dayton Speedway did. . And, that was in the days when racing was more popular than in today's electronic era. I too wish them well but they may not be aware that the industry is challenged.

Comment

Originally posted by GTigers55 View Post
          I would love to visit this place if I'm still down here in Dayton when it opens. It'd have to have an April show next year though or I'll be graduated and gone otherwise!
          That would be a very tall order if the picture is accurate and up to date of just cutting in the race track now with your timeline? Not saying it can't be done though, but they have a lot of work to do with your timeline.

Having to finish the track, some type of guardrail system/fencing, pit area, stands, lights, concessions, parking, etc... or is this on the same grounds as the drag strip and using some of those grounds for certain things?

Comment

It's on the same grounds from what I understand. The 21MRacing said that it was formerly the big field next to the dragstrip so you can see it from the stands of the dragstrip. I doubt that they'll be open before I move out of here, but then again nobody expected Mansfield to try and race in March on a surface that was laid down in December-January.

Comment

More power to them and I'll wish them the best but I'm with mudpacker & muddy. I just don't see the need. By my count there are 12 ltracks within 2.5 hours of Cincinnati. other than a few of those that have some history and are able to hit a home run once or twice a year with a bigger show the rest are just squeaking by. I have a couple of thoughts about this, first as these owners being long time drag race promotors they may be accustomed to where they basically just open the gates and people come in and hand over money, the big attraction to drag racing is that anyone can do it with whatever car they drive to work. He can also be accustomed to having test & tune nights where he gets a big crowd without having to pay a purse. This ties into my second thought, even on their weekly drag program a big purse is not involved & what they do pay is mostly covered by the entrants without having to rely on spectators.
              And last, most people will go to X number of races per year whether they have 2 tracks to chose from or 20. Adding tracks does not add spectators.
              I'm gonna ride past it tonite and if they have a race I'll likely support it but it's not a venture that I'd have enuff guts to undertake

Comment

Calling Saphead, Think this is X-Plex in different location. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Sprintcarfanatic View Post
                  Calling Saphead, Think this is X-Plex in different location. LOL
                  The photo looks like about how far the X-Plex came to being built. You could throw a rock and hit the Burg' from Edgewater so this should be interesting.

Comment

What's X-Plex???

Comment

GTigers55 it was going to be a place where you name it they was gonna race it & I believe they were gonna have concerts as well in or around Portland, In..

Comment

We will see, But IMHO a Sunday Evening Track would be much more successful than Friday. Friday proves to be a logistical nightmare for most teams that both the driver and crew work, Traffic is a mess and many fans who work 6-3 7-4 or whatever hours often just wanna come home shower and chill. If a crew can keep a track good. Start hot laps at 5 and be done by 9. Sunday is the ticket.
                        Several Years ago Jerry King of Florence also leased Burg for a couple years, He ran the sprints and a couple other classes on Saturday at LBurg and then ran LM's Mods and super stocks on Sunday at Burg. Always had a huge car count, Fans were scarce.

Lotta truth to that many fans pick one race a week to go to. and even more just hit a few a year.

Worked right and working together. It could be a hit, Camping at Burg is free. It's really only about 7 miles from Burg to Edgewater. Also if you ran two tracks in the area as a car owner, SPonsorship might be easier to sell.

Not poo, pooing anything but Mudpacker has a point, Car Count doesn't support the number of tracks, However making a close proximity and working together. Drawing big counts could be possible.

Chuck

Comment

I've often wondered if they would split up start time in different areas & work places if that would alleviate some traffic congestion. Like 6 to 2:30, 7 to 3:30, 8 to 4:30 & even 9 to 5:30. I'm not saying split up a certain place either more like you have 10 to 15 places in a business park, split that area up so everyone is not coming & going at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Nungester View Post
                            We will see, But IMHO a Sunday Evening Track would be much more successful than Friday. Friday proves to be a logistical nightmare for most teams that both the driver and crew work, Traffic is a mess and many fans who work 6-3 7-4 or whatever hours often just wanna come home shower and chill. If a crew can keep a track good. Start hot laps at 5 and be done by 9. Sunday is the ticket.
                            Several Years ago Jerry King of Florence also leased Burg for a couple years, He ran the sprints and a couple other classes on Saturday at LBurg and then ran LM's Mods and super stocks on Sunday at Burg. Always had a huge car count, Fans were scarce.

Lotta truth to that many fans pick one race a week to go to. and even more just hit a few a year.

Worked right and working together. It could be a hit, Camping at Burg is free. It's really only about 7 miles from Burg to Edgewater. Also if you ran two tracks in the area as a car owner, SPonsorship might be easier to sell.

Not poo, pooing anything but Mudpacker has a point, Car Count doesn't support the number of tracks, However making a close proximity and working together. Drawing big counts could be possible.

Chuck
                            Attica seems to do fine. Guys that want to race will get there. Nobody likes racing sunday, getting home late, and waking up next day for work. They will do fine. Track prep and running a well run program means more than anything

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Nungester View Post

Chuck
                              Sundays may work but I'd have my doubts. In the 20 yrs I ran my car I could count on one hand how many Sunday shows I ran and most years I ran 40 or so shows. Granted I didn't have many Sunday nite options but after I'd ran Friday & Saturday I'd had enough. If there had been a local Sunday track I'd likely supported it, as most guys would, the problem I see is that there arnt enough local cars (sprints) to support and I just don't see many guys coming any distance especially to what looks like a big(ger) hammer down track.

Comment

Working...
                              X