65 cars at Port Royal tonight.....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 65 cars at Port Royal tonight.....

.... for the prelim. This is exactly why the 100k to win show at Mansfield next year should be either non-sanctioned or All Star sanctioned. No outlaws pulls in the cars.

Port has done a very good job promoting the event as well. Running a race right before was brilliant as well.

Comment

Meanwhile Sharon Speedway had 14 sprints for their Apple Nationals... That's their own fault in my opinion by splitting heat races and feature across two days. I imagine that with Attica closed had the Friday night show been a standalone show some of the drivers from northern Ohio would've went. But Fremont is tomorrow and I imagine they're gonna have more cars for a weekly show than Sharon had for a $3k to win race which is pretty decent out in Western PA area (I Know they're in Ohio but they draw more from PA).

Comment

I don't know whats going on in western,pa in the 410 division. I thought they would have a descent car count for 3k to win. not sure why the western,pa cars didn't come. was it the two day format? I don't think so since lernerville is the same set up and they get 20-25 cars. maybe its the track they don't support but then again mercer struggles with car counts every week. ?? I do know that pretty soon they might not have a place to run if mercer folds and the lack of support when ppms and Sharon adds descent paying shows to their schedules for them.
        The track Sharon last night was terrible for 410s though. It wasn't rough or dusty at all but it was slick as glass before the show even started. im not impressed this year with the red soil. it does pack nice and smooth but at Sharon the 410s cant even get going. its better for modifieds in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Saphead View Post
          .... for the prelim. This is exactly why the 100k to win show at Mansfield next year should be either non-sanctioned or All Star sanctioned. No outlaws pulls in the cars.
          It's a timing issue as well. Yes the Port pulled in a lot of cars because of it being a All-Star show along with places like Knoxville being closed down. You wouldn't have gotten the drivers or fans for this event during the middle of the season especially those teams running for a track or series championship.

You also have to give credit to Port and the other area PA tracks for working together as well ... unlike we see in Ohio for some races, series, events. I am sure it happens in PA as well, but here they had a big show and Williams Grove didn't run 410's and Lincoln didn't either. That helps "pack the pits". Funny how in some threads here people give praise for a car count for one event, but then get critical to posters when they want to see the same thing at another event in which posters saying they will have good turnouts at both tracks?

As for the WoO ... they would have had a great turnout for this event if the date was the same and other tracks cooperated as well. They would have gotten the same invaders and likely a third of the All-Stars if they didn't have a place to run. Also got to give the track credit for promoting this event as well ... this event besides the Knoxville Nationals and The Kings Royal (which don't really need promoting) was probably promoted about one of the best events out there this year ... could add the Lincoln dirt classic and also the Brad Doty race (IMO). Think Attica, Brad, and even the fans promote the Doty race the best in the business.

The fans came out because all the PA guys was going to be in one place, had the All-Stars running along with the owner (Stewart) which surprised me that he ran both nights, but Saturday night knowing it was direct competition with the cup Richmond race along with the biggest late model race in the country at his own track Eldora.

Then you throw in invaders like Joey Saldana, Brian Brown, Kerry Madsen, Tony Stewart, Dave Blaney, Aaron Reutzel, Tim Keading, Tim Shaffer (I hope his team runs the All-Stars next year), Brady Bacon (I hope he runs the All-Stars next year), Sammy Swindell, Lyton Jeffries, Josh Baughman, Danny Holtgraver, etc... helps raise this event big-time and brings the fans as well to pack the place.

With All-Stars and invaders that is like 30 teams/drivers which help adds to the event.

As for Mansfield ... think they need to work out the bugs before trying to have such a big show, but again that is just me and I know the owner wants to make a big splash in the sport.

Mansfield needs the local tracks/series to work together as well because if Attica, Fremont, Waynesfield, Atomic and Wayne County runs shows that weekend that will hurt the car count. If the All-Stars schedule a show some place else that will hurt car count. Who knows about weather that time of year which is always iffy that time of year. Will Knoxville teams travel to this event if they have a regular show at Knoxville. Will PA guys travel who are running Williams Grove, Lincoln, or Port Royal points especially if they keep the same All-Star schedule as this year and those dates? If those type of guys don't come I am not sure your going to pack the place with teams, drivers, and fans, etc...

Originally posted by GTigers55 View Post
          Port has done a very good job promoting the event as well. Running a race right before was brilliant as well.
          Agree completely ... think they promoted this event probably in the top 5 events of the year.

They already announced $51,000 to win next year for this event and also $1,000 to start which I believe was $900.00 to start this year. So obviously they made money

Originally posted by GTigers55 View Post
          Meanwhile Sharon Speedway had 14 sprints for their Apple Nationals... That's their own fault in my opinion by splitting heat races and feature across two days. I imagine that with Attica closed had the Friday night show been a standalone show some of the drivers from northern Ohio would've went. But Fremont is tomorrow and I imagine they're gonna have more cars for a weekly show than Sharon had for a $3k to win race which is pretty decent out in Western PA area (I Know they're in Ohio but they draw more from PA).
          You do know that the Attica, Fremont, FAST guys really don't travel very much unless they are forced too. Again some of it might be because of a double night deal, but a $3,000 event isn't that big of deal anymore especially when that is a normal payout for Attica.

Doesn't help that Sharon don't run more regular shows for the 410's either.

Living in the past a bit here, but I miss the Sharon Nationals ... always loved that weekend because you had Lernerville All-Star show on Friday night, then the 2-day show at Sharon on Saturday/Sunday. That would be one of the few times a year I would get to see a lot of the PA guys in person and who knows who else might show up for that event especially when a lot of times teams use to fall off the WoO schedule shortly after the Nationals, but now the points money is to good for them to do it now.

Originally posted by mudinmybeer View Post
          I don't know whats going on in western,pa in the 410 division. I thought they would have a descent car count for 3k to win. not sure why the western,pa cars didn't come. was it the two day format? I don't think so since lernerville is the same set up and they get 20-25 cars. maybe its the track they don't support but then again mercer struggles with car counts every week. ?? I do know that pretty soon they might not have a place to run if mercer folds and the lack of support when ppms and Sharon adds descent paying shows to their schedules for them.
          The track Sharon last night was terrible for 410s though. It wasn't rough or dusty at all but it was slick as glass before the show even started. im not impressed this year with the red soil. it does pack nice and smooth but at Sharon the 410s cant even get going. its better for modifieds in my opinion.
          Again $3,000 to win show isn't that big of deal anymore and is the norm at Attica.

This is why several of the western PA teams decided to run with the All-Stars even though they might struggle a lot of nights, but they are likely to make more money with tow money, points championships, along with the normal purse of the All-Stars on most nights.

Think some of the W. PA teams don't travel ... similar to the Attica/Fremont/FAST guys. Heck throw in Wayne County sometimes when you would think some of those guys would venture to Attica or Lernerville on Friday night and most of the time they stay at home.

Comment

If properly promoted, County Fair races can be very successful, as illustrated by the 3 days / nights of racing during the Juniata County Fair. These events need not be some sort of logistical nightmare as some think. And, there is an increased fan draw via the fairgoers in attendance on the grounds. I'm going to make a concerted effort to attend that Fair and race in 2018. Congrats to the Fair people and the race promoters for actually working in unison.

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy99 View Post
              If properly promoted, County Fair races can be very successful, as illustrated by the 3 days / nights of racing during the Juniata County Fair. These events need not be some sort of logistical nightmare as some think. And, there is an increased fan draw via the fairgoers in attendance on the grounds. I'm going to make a concerted effort to attend that Fair and race in 2018. Congrats to the Fair people and the race promoters for actually working in unison.
              At Port Royal ... you buy ticket to the race ... fair is free as well.

Comment

Working...
              X