Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2018 Silly Season News Thread (Teams/Drivers/Tracks)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mercer was beautiful last night. Track was great and the show moved along quickly. 35+ 410s cars committed and 40+ mod lites. Had 23 open stocks last night. Happy this place came back to life even it if just twice this year.Hopefully the fans show up tonight because the cars sure are coming.

Comment

• Sounds like Saturday night at Mercer was a great show to go to. Pictures showed the place overflowing with fans.
      Amazing car count in the sprints plus other classes.
      Glad to see Jordan Ryan get his first 410 win.
      From what I heard and read, it sounds like a lot of the WCS regulars put on a great show. I want to see a write up with all the names.
      Be great if Mercer can do a few shows like this again.
      I have always enjoyed that track.
      So glad the cars and fans went and supported it.

Comment

• It was one of the best weekends ive had this year if not thee best. WCS took the top 4 in Jordan Ryan winning, 57x Palker second, 3j Trey Jacobs, and 19 Mitch harble 4th. Adam Kekich was up to 3rd but got tangled with a lapped car and flipped. The mod lites showed up and had a tribute race for the former track champion there that passed over the winter. Going unnoticed is the car counts Friday were really good too with 20+ in all 3 divisions. There was rumors swirling Friday that they are going to run little guy nationals this year especially since they approached us 270 micro guys and asked us about it. I love racing that track. I never do well there but its a blast. I think they will announce Little Guy Nationals or an Fall event similar to it in the next couple weeks. Might not be a true little guy nats since the 305 division is kind of dead over there and one of them made the feature Saturday running with the 410s. Id think the 410s will be on the card for #1 bova runs a 410 and #2 they put butts in the seats and wont need to rely on the pit gate to make ends meet. Announcement will come out when ever they get done counting the money from this weekend. They sold everything at the concession stands and I mean everything. They even cleared the nearby stores going to get more. Im happy it came back to life in a big way. Also heard that the Bova's are thinking about leasing the track next year but one step at a time.

Comment

• Weekend Highlights
          -While not in Ohio, and not on a weekend, one big highlight of the week is the Don Martine Memorial Silver Cup paying $25k to win tonight (Tuesday) at Lernerville Speedway only a short trip from the Ohio border. The Outlaw race is no longer the twin feature format instead featuring a regular format Outlaw show. Sheldon Haudenschild nearly picked up his first outlaw win last year on the famed red clay before the turn 4 wall ended his night. It sounds like some of the banking was taken out of 3 & 4 from what I heard on Lernerville's podcast so we'll see how the change effects the outcome of the show tonight.

- Eldora Speedway plays host to the only dirt NASCAR race with the Camping World Truck Series taking on the famed half mile oval. There is a mix of dirt veterans taking on the asphalt truck drivers and acts as an entry level event for some dirt drivers to get there foot in the door with NASCAR. The Push Trucks are now supported by Modifieds and Stocks on Tuesday and I believe alone on Wednesday.

-The FAST 410 sprints have a two race weekend with races at Attica and Fremont. Attica will also have a $1k to win FAST 305 show thanks to Griff's Engines. After a short break for Kings Royal action, it will be interesting to see what drivers continue their momentum from the past few races such as Chris Andrews winning the last 2 shows at Fremont.

-Raceway 7 hosts the Penn/Ohio Pro Stocks this weekend in addition to their weekly show. I admittedly know very little about the series, but from what I've heard they put on a pretty good show in the Western PA to Eastern Ohio region. If you're in the Conneaut area would be a good race and track to check out.

- The OSCS sprints return to Wayne County Speedway after their initial date was rained out earlier in the year. Wayne County always puts on a good show and the points battle is really starting to heat up as the dog days of summer wind down. With a good showing for the Wayne County Locals at Mercer last weekend it will be interesting to see who can carry that momentum into the rest of the season and pick up the crown. Danny Mumaw currently leads Jordan Ryan by 4 points for track championship. In the late models, Cody Scott is still holding on to the top spot to secure his first career WCS track championship and is 4 marks ahead of multi-time track champion Flyin Ryan Markham.

Weekend Plans
          -After a busy week of racing last week and now a second consecutive weekend off due to the prior weekend tradeoff, I'm planning on going racing somewhere nearby on Saturday. Not sure on where yet, will likely be a day of decision. Work second shift Friday or otherwise I'd be at Attica.
          • July 17th
            • Eldora Speedway – Modifieds, Stocks, NASCAR Trucks practice
          • July 18th
            • Eldora Speedway – NASCAR Trucks
          • July 20th
            • Attica Raceway Park – FAST 410 Sprints, Att/Oak Late Models, FAST 305 Sprints
            • Hilltop Speedway – Late Models, Modifieds, Stocks, Modlites, Trucks, Compacts
            • Limaland Motorsports Park – Non Wing, Modifieds, Stocks
            • Moler Raceway Park – Modifieds, Crate Late Models, Sport Modifieds, Compacts
            • Raceway 7 – Penn/OH Pro Stocks, Crate Late Models, E-Modifieds, Stocks, Econo Modifieds, Compacts
            • 250 Speedway – Modifieds, Stocks, Compacts, Wedges, VARC Vintage Race
          • July 21st
            • Atomic Speedway – 410 Sprints, Late Models, Modifieds, Sport Modifieds
            • Brushcreek Motorsports Complex – Modifieds, Sport Modifieds, Legends
            • Fremont Speedway – FAST 410 Sprints, 305 Sprints, Trucks, Crate Late Models
            • Oakshade Raceway – Attica/Oakshade Late Models, Sportsmans, Stocks, Compacts
            • Portsmouth Raceway Park – Late Models, Modifieds, Limited Late Models, Sport Modifieds
            • Sharon Speedway – Big Block Modifieds, RUSH Modifieds, Econo Modifieds, Stocks
            • Waynesfield Raceway Park – Non Wing Sprints, Modifieds, Trucks, Compacts
            • Wayne County Speedway – OSCS Sprints, Late Models, Stocks, Compacts
            • 35 Raceway Park – Modifieds, Sport Modifieds, Modlites, Stocks, Compacts, 4cyl Stocks, Enduro, VARC

2019 Race Counter: 8
          Attica (3), Butler (1), Fremont (2), Lawrenceburg (1), Wayne Co. (1)

Comment

• Thank you for the weekend outlook, GT.
            Ill be at Wayne County unless rain.
            Have to see how OSCS is with new owners and what kind of car count. Im not sure what their race format is for OSCS. I see the payoff is increased so that should help pull in a few cars.

Comment

• I thought OSCS suspended operation for this season and intends to reorganize for 2019. Guess I was wrong. Its an ARP/Fremont weekend. Yee Haw! You have mastered motorsports journalism, GT. Can you predict the weather?

Comment

• I think Atomic who sold the series then had their races scheduled cancelled them all. Not real nice to sell the series and after a done deal cancel the races you scheduled with them.
                WCS and PPMS have them on the schedule.
                I dont know if they do any special race procedures.

Comment

• They have like 5 races total this year I believe. Looks like for next year they’re gonna be an eastern Ohio western pa series

Comment

• Only 5? Didnt realize the number was so low.
                    They definitely have room to grow the series.
                    Eastern Ohio and Western PA would make sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by GTigers55 View Post
                      They have like 5 races total this year I believe. Looks like for next year they’re gonna be an eastern Ohio western pa series
                      Correct, we will be focusing on the western part of Ohio and eastern part of Pennsylvania. The responses that we've been receiving so far in that area have been GREAT, all the team's that we have contacted so far are looking forward to next season already!
                      Thank You,
                      Steven Pocock
                      Office Phone: (419) 765-0088
                      Ohio Sprint Car Series President

www.oscsracing.com

Comment

• OSCS president, Steve Pocock, had a good interview on Buckeye Speed Zone before the season began. Maybe he can be on again soon. If the weather is dry, the show at WCS should be a big success.

Comment

• Yes if the R word stays away.
                          Too many weekends have been lost to weather this year.
                          Looking forward to the show and would be good to see it grow.

Comment

• There is also a Great Lakes sprints event with the MTS non wings at I-96 Saturday that should be a good show. Anyone been there?

Comment

• I've been there a lot. Pretty good facilities at I-96. Probably the best racing surface in Michigan along with Tri City. They usually do a good job prepping which makes it tacky and fast. GLSS has been close to 30 cars most races. One race at I-96 this year they had 30. With nra and SoD off if weather is not an issue I would expect close to if not over 30. MTS has a solid following. Usually close to 20 if not 25. Some guys will run both wing and non wing Id say easily over 50 sprints combined. As long as weather doesn't scare people off.

Comment

• going to head to thunder mountain speedway in pa tonight. never been ther but 3k to win sprints and super lates sounds like a show to check out with all the weather in ohio today.

Comment

Working...
                                X