Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2018 Silly Season News Thread (Teams/Drivers/Tracks)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice work, GT. I've never missed a Mark Keegan Classic. The points races become interesting on championship night. $12 admission to see 410's is very low. Its crazy cheap if Jac makes another suprise appearence at WCS.

Comment

• Originally posted by racemak View Post
      Nice work, GT. I've never missed a Mark Keegan Classic. The points races become interesting on championship night. $12 admission to see 410's is very low. Its crazy cheap if Jac makes another suprise appearence at WCS.
      Why would Jac be there? He is running the All-stars and they have 4 races this week.
      2019 Race Counter: 14
      Tracks: Attica (3), Bubba (3), Eldora (1), Fremont (1), Mansfield (1), Volusia (4), Wayne County (1).
      DirtVision: 14.
      Speedshift: 5.
      Rain: Way to many to even count already!!

Comment

• Jac was at WCS on June 2nd. It was an unannouced suprise appearence and I enjoyed the show. I have no idea where the ASCoC was that night, nor do I know where they are racing this weekend. I expect some non-regulars to be at Wayne County this Saturday.

Comment

• All stars were off that Saturday after lernerville Friday and Bedford Sunday
          Attica (6), Butler (1), Fremont (2), Lawrenceburg (1), Wayne Co. (2), Mansfield (1), Gas City (1)

Comment

• Originally posted by GTigers55 View Post
            All stars were off that Saturday after lernerville Friday and Bedford Sunday
            There it is. Now I know how Jac could be at WCS for a regular show. It was a very cool suprise, and I didn't know he was there until he took to the track for hot laps. He won the feature. I've been watching Jac since the Lakeville days. (Yup, I'm older than Jac.) Who's ready for racing at ARP tomorrow? Finally going to see the mini sprints. No preferences for who wins the track championships. I do hope Jordan Ryan finds a ride for ARP & WCS.

Comment

• Weekend Highlights
              - It's time for the Dirt Classic Ohio featuring a double header weekend of the All Star Circuit of Champions at Attica Raceway Park. Friday night Attica kicks off with the ASCoC sprints with a regular show as well as the double points season championship for the super late model division. Flyin' Ryan Markham leads defending track champion Devin Shiels by 8 points for the track title in the late model division at Attica. Saturday night has typically featured a special format for the Dirt Classic with double heat races. Whether they intend to continue that tradition this year we shall find out. One thing that is different this year is that the winners purse is $5k on both nights instead of $10k on night two. I imagine this has a bit to do with changing the Friday night show to an ASCoC show instead of a FAST410 & ALMS etc show.

-The All Stars continue their final multi race Ohio swing of the season at Wayne County Speedway with the $10k to win Pete Jacobs Memorial on Sunday the 2nd. We've seen a good variety of drivers come out for this Sunday event in the past and one of the most entertaining tracks on the ASCoC in my opinion. It seems like anybody can claim a win there, ranging from former ASCoC regular and current WoO regular Sheldon Haudenschild to former ASCoC Caleb Helms picking up the biggest win of his career their during the Pete Jacobs Memorial. This is the last ASCoC at weekly 410 tracks in Ohio this season. With only 8 points races left for the All Stars this weekend may prove to be the deciding factor in a tight battle between Reutzel, Macedo, and Kemenah for the driver championship.

-The Lucas Oil Late Models return to Portsmouth Raceway Park for their final tune up at PRP before the Dirt Track World Championship in October. With the dirt million last weekend and World 100 may see some prominent teams stick around the state to shake down their rides for the World.

-Waynesfield has their season finale this week after having the past few weeks drenched in rain and mud. The non-wing season is starting to come to a close in Ohio and it's a good racy track that I wish I'd been able to return to this year but rain had other plans.

-35 Raceway Park will host the OVSCA sprint cars at the small and tight 1/4 mile bullring just outside of Frankfort Ohio. With many different stock divisions including a 100 lap enduro on the card an interesting event should be shaping up. The Sprints are sure to put on a great show at the track and it looks very racy from videos I've seen.

-The BOSS Winged sprints make their second ever event at Gas City on the 31st and should feature some of Indiana's most talented drivers. Gas City sounds like it has been much improved upon it's reopening and this is an event that was heavily on my radar to attend. Would recommend it for anyone in the area as a good race and track to get to. There was supposed to be a BOSS Winged race at Route 44 Speedway as well but it sounds like the track has tried and failed again (formerly whitewater speedway and mercer county raceway).

Weekend Plans
              -The plan for me is Attica Friday and Saturday then stopping in at 35 Raceway for my first racing visit on the way to see my grandparents for the week. I expect all 3 to be excellent shows! If 35 Rains out I'll probably head over to Wayne County and then down south.
              • August 31st
                • Attica Raceway Park – ASCoC Sprints, Late Models
                • Raceway 7 – Crate Late Models, E-Modifieds, Stocks, Econo Modifieds, Compacts
              • September 1st
                • Atomic Speedway – 410 Sprints, OTSCS 305 Sprints, Modifieds, Sport Modifieds
                • Attica Raceway Park – ASCoC Sprints, 305 Sprints OH Dirt Classic
                • Moler Raceway Park – Modifieds, Sport Modifieds, Compacts – King of Compacts
                • Oakshade Raceway – ALMS Late Models, Sportsman, Stocks, Compacts
                • Portsmouth Raceway Park – Lucas Oil Late Models, Modifieds, Sport Modifieds
                • Waynesfield Raceway Park – Non Wing Sprints, Mini Sprints, Modifieds, Trucks, Compacts
              • September 2nd
                • Atomic Speedway – Demo Derby, Enduro
                • Eldora Speedway – ALMS Late Models, Modifieds, Stocks
                • Wayne County Speedway – ASCoC Sprints, Stocks
                • 35 Raceway Park – OVSCA Sprints, Sport Modifieds, Stocks, Compacts, 4cyl Stocks, Enduro

Attica (6), Butler (1), Fremont (2), Lawrenceburg (1), Wayne Co. (2), Mansfield (1), Gas City (1)

Comment

• I have never been to 35 raceway. Thanks GT for bringing that race to my attention. This may be a good time to get a new track. Going to ARP Friday, Oakshade on Saturday, and maybe a new (to me) track on Sunday. Three nights-three tracks. Priceless. Next week, finally, a race at Fremont on Sept 8th! Then the WCS Blowout. What have I left out? Oh yeah, those late season races at Atomic. Any one going to the Hillbilly 100 at The Bullring?

Comment

• Attica 8/31 - ASCoC Sprints and Late Models

Qualifying Highlights

29 cars checked into Attica Raceway Park on a beautiful late summer evening. The cushion in turn 4 proved troublesome for many of the drivers. Especially for Chad Kemenah, who after jumping the cushion on his first lap blew his right rear tire and would coast to the slowest of the 29 cars. Aaron Reutzel continued his hot streak and set quicktime on the night with a 12.315. Shaffer, Zearfoss, Price-Miller, and Henry rounded out the top five in time trials for the Arctic Cat All Star Circuit of Champions.

After a few late entries the UMP late models saw a field of 30 take the track for hot laps. A few surprising contestants on the evening included Matt Miller and Rusty Schlenk making his return to his home track. All the top locals showed as well as quite a few Fremont limited late models. Doug Drown set quick time in hot laps with a 14.898, the only car under the 15 second bracket for the late models.

Heat Highlights

ASCoC Heat 1: After some track prep before heat races the track had quite a bit of moisture in it. The start made all the difference, and Chris Andrews took advantage on the start to move from 5th place into third. Cap Henry also used a good start to claim a dash spot. Pole sitter Carson Macedo ran the top of the narrow track for an easy heat race victory.

ASCoC Heat 2: A crazy first turn set up an eventful heat race. Current all star points leader and tonight’s QuickTime Aaron Reutzel went 3 wide into turns 1 and 2 from his 4th starting position and got the raw end of the situation dropping immediately to the 6th and final transfer spot. Meanwhile, 10th starting Chad Kemenah split TJ Michael and Kelsey Ivy below to move up to 7th. Kemenah eventually tracked reutzel down, moving Reutzel from a potential dash starting spot due to his qualifying time to the front row of the b main. Pole sitter Paul McMahan won the heat.

ASCoC Heat 3: 8 time track champion Byron reed and All Star regular Brandon Spithaler put on a whale of a show for the final transfer spot. Reed nailed the cushion while Spithaler stayed true to the bottom and eventually prevailed coming to the two to go signal to take the 6th position. This years track champion Stuart Brubaker would beat out pole sitter and last weeks winner Travis Philo for the final heat race victory.

Late Model Heat 1: Rusty Schlenk rocketed from inside row two to the lead in turns one and two and built a 1/4 track lead over second place running Dave Hornikel before a spinning Dana Frey brought out a caution on lap 3. Nate Potts then got into Baird’s rear spinning him out bringing out another caution. Potts subsequently docked 2 spots on the ensuing restart, ironically placing him directly behind Doug Baird. Schlenk would hold on to the heat one win.

Late Model Heat 2: Defending track champion, seemingly having issues with his own car, took the green in Bob Mayer’s 42* and quickly fell to the rear of the field. Rear staring Mike Bores would charge up to finish third and make the redraw. Ryan Missler nearly tracked down Steve Kester for the checkered flag, but Kester held off the 50Y by a car length.

Late Model Heat 3: Former dirt late model dream winner Matt Miller didn’t let a shotgun starting position deter him. A pass underneath former Attica Late Model rookie of the year Jeff Warnick sealed a victory for Miller. Kent Brewer nearly caught Warnick on the final circuit going door to door at the line for second.

Late Model Heat 4: In a heat stacked with local talent, Doug Drown aboard his own #12 longhorn chassis fended off “Fiery” Matt Irey for the heat win. Points leader Ryan Markham went 5th to 3rd in the opening lap to make the all important redraw spot.

ASCoC Dash: On the initial start Carson Macedo made a power move to steal the second position from Zearfoss. The big winner out of the dash was the Lane Racing #4 wheeled by Cap Henry. After redrawing 8th out of 8 to start the dash, Cap forced his way to fourth and will start in the second row. Shaffer started and finished in the top spot earning the pole for the main event.

ASCoC B Main: Tyler Esh suffered engine woes in his heat and was unable to start in his scheduled 3rd spot. Reutzel and Reed overcame their heat race woes to finish 1st and 2nd respectively. Brian Smith took the 2+ Gracecar from 8th to final transfer spot and nearly got under DJ Foos as the laps wound down. Cole Duncan and TJ Michael battled big time for the third position, with Duncan eventually making the top work to take the third position.

Late Model B Main: The man to watch the in late Model B-Main was Devin Shiels, currently second place in points, aboard Bob Mayer’s 42*. Starting from the 10th spot, Shiels moved into the fourth and final transfer spot on lap 5 of 10. Shield nearly got around in the final turn but maintained the final transfer. John Mayes Jr took his yellow 69 from the second row to a B main victory after a solid move in 1 & 2 under Jerry Aber.

ASCoC A Main: The green flag dropped and yellow came out before the first lap was completed. Dave Blaney and Lee Jacobs got together at the exit of turn 4. Both cars were able to continue after headed to the work area. On the restart Macedo ripped the top to pass Shaffer and a lap later Parker Price-Miller got squirrelly in turn 4 and dropped near the rear of the field. Shaffer closed back in on Macedo and battled through lap traffic, putting the Demyan-Rudzik 49x back into the lead on lap 8. Cole Duncan dropped out around that time as well. As the leaders battled through lap traffic, Dave Blaney broke in front of the leaders nearly colliding with Shaffer. The caution waved for Blaney with 10 Laps in and 30 to go, Cale Conley went to the work area forfeiting his 15th place position and rejoined.

Shaffer retained his lead on the start. Extending his lead through lap traffic to 1/3 of the track while Cap Henry and Carson Macedo waged war for second. Cap Henry would take the second spot on lap 29, just before Broc Martin spun the Seeling 97 to a stop in the bottom of 3&4. This all sets up a 10 lap dash to the finish for Shaffer, Henry and Macedo. The restart led to a vicious flip by broc martin bringing out the red flag. Byron Reed also would be caught up, who had went from 20th to just outside the top 10. Cale Conley and Ryan Smith were also involved. 10th place running Paul McMahan, the owners points leading Buch 13 team, headed to the work area during the caution with a flat RR. Brandon Spithaler has moved from 16th to 5th at this point Kemenah from 18th to 7th. Kemenah pulls off 5 to go, Shaffer leads Macedo then Henry. Shaffer pulls away to win with Macedo and Henry following. Spithaler claimed hard charger going 16th to 5th a great run for him. 4 locals finished in the top 10.

Late Model A Main: Points leader Ryan Markham started on the pole position and with his closest competitor starting last he pretty much only needed to finish to claim the track championship. Markham lead the first couple laps until Outside pole sitter Dave Hornikel took the lead on lap 3. Markham began to fall back as 4th starting Matt Miller moved into the runner up position. 6th starting Doug Drown and 8th starting Rusty Schlenk battled through the lag and proceeded to race 3 wide with markham for a handful of laps before the 5M slid back to 5th. Meanwhile, Matt Miller would move into the lead around lap 8 and begin to pull away. Drown and Schlenk proceeded to close in on Hornikel and battle for second for a few more laps. Both drown and Schlenk got by and continue their side by side battle through the field. With around 5 to go Schlenk in second begins to catch up to Miller with Drown close behind. Matt Miller would hold off a quickly approaching Schlenk for his second Attica Raceway Park victory of the season and 8th if his career. Ryan Markham slipped back to around 7th but would still claim the points championship at ARP for the first time. Markham has the opportunity to pull off a triple crown (Win the WCS/ARP challenge) of sorts if he can hold on to the Wayne County track title.

Oh yeah, all this was done at 10:07 too.

Comment

• Good write-up, GT. I'm not going to 35 raceway. The track is much farther from me than I thought. I just don't think OVSCA and an enduro are worth the trip. If I get the chance tonight, I'll ask Rusty Schlenk what his home track is. I thought it was Oakshade. You say its ARP. If he isn't at Oakshade tonight, then I guess you're right and I'm wrong. No wagering please.

Comment

• Nice write up GT. I was watching on race monitor.
                      I was surprised the car count was that low at Attica.
                      Was thinking it would be in the 30s.
                      Seems that less than half of the cars finished the feature using race monitor.
                      Was the track in bad shape that caused so many cars to drop out?
                      Interesting to see what tonights car count will be.
                      They had a really good late model count and seems that feature also had close racing.

Comment

• Originally posted by racemak View Post
                        Good write-up, GT. I'm not going to 35 raceway. The track is much farther from me than I thought. I just don't think OVSCA and an enduro are worth the trip. If I get the chance tonight, I'll ask Rusty Schlenk what his home track is. I thought it was Oakshade. You say its ARP. If he isn't at Oakshade tonight, then I guess you're right and I'm wrong. No wagering please.
                        Well considering he is the all time feature winner at Sttica it can be his Friday home track 😉. I would say Oakshade is probably his true home track. They love like 10 minutes down the road from me so Oakshade is only maybe 35 minutes away.

Originally posted by RRacer70 View Post
                        Nice write up GT. I was watching on race monitor.
                        They had a really good late model count and seems that feature also had close racing.
                        Track wasn’t too rough but one wreck in particular tore up a lot of the field. A few cars just seemingly had mechanical issues and pulled off. Track was perfect but tricky cushion. I’d guess car count should go up without the competition from Gas City tonight.

Comment

• How did Shaffer get in the dash when he didn't finish in the top two in his heat race?

Comment

• Originally posted by BIG E20 View Post
                            How did Shaffer get in the dash when he didn't finish in the top two in his heat race?
                            The top 2 of each heat AND the top 2 from OVERALL times who transfer make the dash draw.
                            2019 Racin' Chasin' Counter: (22 1/3) - Attica (5), Bubba (3), Wayne Co (2), Volusia (2), Fremont (2), Waynefield (1), Port Royal (1), Mansfield (1), Virgina Motor (1), Outlaw, NY (1), Stateline, NY (1), Weedsport (1), Muskingam (1). Atromic (1/3) - Rainouts (16).

2018 Racin' Chasin' Counter:
                            50 Races @ 31 Tracks; (12-Rain Outs)
                            2017 Racin' Chasin' Counter: 57 Races @ 30 Tracks; (7-Rain Outs)
                            2016 Racin' Chasin' Counter: 59 Races @ 28 Tracks; (15-Rain Outs)
                            2015 Racin' Chasin' Counter: 56 Races @ 25 Tracks; (12-Rain Outs)

Comment

• Originally posted by RRacer70 View Post
                              Nice write up GT. I was watching on race monitor.
                              A lot of the locals whether you want to call them Attica, Fremont, Wayne County or not, stayed at home. Some did come and did well such as Brian Smith on Friday. Think some believed it would be a bigger car count as well and stiffer competition and decided to stay at home.

You had other shows going on such as Mowa/IRA, and Gas City that saw some drivers/teams drive past Attica to get there so I would say they was thinking about competition, you had Lernerville going on that got a good car count, and then Saturday night you had Atomic. So you didn't have a lot of invaders (Hunter Schuerenberg) either because of other races going on so that hurts car count as well such as a big 360 race at Jackson/Lake Ozark that took away and possibility of Knoxville regulars coming. You had the usual "local invaders" such as Cole Duncan, Tim Shaffer, and Lee Jacobs that always show up for the bigger shows at Attica.
                              Tracks: Attica (3), Bubba (3), Eldora (1), Fremont (1), Mansfield (1), Volusia (4), Wayne County (1).
                              DirtVision: 14.
                              Speedshift: 5.
                              Rain: Way to many to even count already!!

Comment

• Attica had a fantastic show last night. The All Star race was competitive and exciting from start to finish. The 305s had probably the top 4 drivers in Ivy, Weaver, Miller and Rando start near the front so they got to duke it out for the win without having to work through the field. One of the best nights at Attica all year but unfortunately the last one of the year as well. Look forward to being back in March.

Comment

Working...
                                X