Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2018 Silly Season News Thread (Teams/Drivers/Tracks)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GTigers55 View Post
    Attica had a fantastic show last night. The All Star race was competitive and exciting from start to finish. The 305s had probably the top 4 drivers in Ivy, Weaver, Miller and Rando start near the front so they got to duke it out for the win without having to work through the field. One of the best nights at Attica all year but unfortunately the last one of the year as well. Look forward to being back in March.
    Really wish Attica would either extend their season somehow especially this year with all their rain-outs ... whether that means making them non-point races, racing on Saturday nights when WC or Fremont aren't running or even run on Sunday night/early afternoon the later it gets in the fall. Hard to believe we are going to have almost 90 degree days around Ohio this week and racing at Attica is over. Think nowadays you could still have 4-6 more shows with weather being decent or even better than the start of the year in March or early April, but realize there is other things that come into play as well such as high school football, college football, NFL, Nascar, school, etc... it is risky to try and compete with those things and not piss others off as well.

I understand their reasoning on Friday nights because of local football even though not sure how many fans would choose between the two, but I still understand that point since it was started when the track was first dug into the fairgrounds property.

Just disappointed that I can go outside and sweat my ass off right now and not be able to see racing at Attica because it is over.
    2019 Race Counter: 23
    Tracks: Attica (5), Bubba (3), Eldora (5), Fremont (1), Mansfield (1), Sharon (1), Volusia (4), Waynesfield (1), Wayne County (2).
    DirtVision: 24.
    Speedshift: 29.
    Rain: Way to many to even count already!!

Comment

• Fans can enjoy freezing their asses off at ARP in March 2019. The 410's and 305's will be at Fremont next Saturday , so the season continues. GT, I arrived at Oakshade after hot laps, so I didn't buy a pit pass. You're right, Attica is his Friday home and Oakshade is his Saturday home. He was able to spin in his heat, spin in the B-main and still win the feature. Sure, some judgement calls went his way, but he was the fastest car on the track. Missler and Shiels weren't going to beat him. Too bad Matt Miller wasn't there.

Comment

• Schlenk is dominant at any of the Northern Ohio tracks provided WoO or Lucas Oil isn't there. He tried the WoO thing but struggled pretty badly early on. Wish he would've went to Dirt Million even though I wasn't there, would be interesting to see where he stacks up.
        2019 Race Counter: 27
        Attica (10), Fremont (6), Wayne Co. (2), Waynesfield (2), Butler (2), Gas City (2), Lawrenceburg (1), Mansfield (1), Eldora (1)

Comment

• As a fan I lost a lot of respect for schlenk when he choose to drive by Mansfield after being pre-registered to go to lernerville on night #1 of the dirt million. There isn't any big latemodel show coming up over there for him to be getting track time either. It was just him cherry picking and still didn't get a podium finish. He wouldn't have made the 100 lapper and he knew it too.

Comment

• Wayne County Speedway Today.
            Looks like plenty of great racers coming.
            You might want to take ice along for cold water.
            Always have a good time at WCS.
            Great staff and fans.

Comment

• Originally posted by mudinmybeer View Post
              As a fan I lost a lot of respect for schlenk when he choose to drive by Mansfield after being pre-registered to go to lernerville on night #1 of the dirt million. There isn't any big latemodel show coming up over there for him to be getting track time either. It was just him cherry picking and still didn't get a podium finish. He wouldn't have made the 100 lapper and he knew it too.
              Curious do you get on sprint car locals that do the same thing when bigger events are around here? They seem to skip a lot of the bigger events so they can be the big fish in small pond deal and it has been that way for along time.

So if you know he wasn't going to make the 100 lapper and you believe he knows it so why should he go? The purse wasn't great if you didn't make the 24 spots so why go then just to be part of the field and get a lot of rocks thrown at your car?
              2019 Race Counter: 23
              Tracks: Attica (5), Bubba (3), Eldora (5), Fremont (1), Mansfield (1), Sharon (1), Volusia (4), Waynesfield (1), Wayne County (2).
              DirtVision: 24.
              Speedshift: 29.
              Rain: Way to many to even count already!!

Comment

• 35 sprints at WCS is what I just heard.

Comment

• Dang Jordan Ryan 9m just stuffed it in wall. Hes ok.

Comment

As a fan I lost a lot of respect for schlenk when he choose to drive by Mansfield after being pre-registered to go to lernerville on night #1 of the dirt million. There isn't any big latemodel show coming up over there for him to be getting track time either. It was just him cherry picking and still didn't get a podium finish. He wouldn't have made the 100 lapper and he knew it too.
                    He races for ump national points. Has won it twice and it pays fairly well, so he knows what he's doing with his racing schedule.

Comment

• Good night of racing at Wayne County.
                      Stands were packed.
                      It was amazingly hot.
                      I think it was one of the hottest races I went to this year.
                      People were in great moods considering how hot it was.
                      Nice to see the Jacobs family in atte dance and make the race.
                      Cody Jacobs great grandson had his birthday and celebrated the win with Tim Shaffer.
                      Just a few delays cause of a couple ambulance runs due to heat in the pits and the 2 cars trying to take out the fence in 3 & 4 otherwise show was very efficient and moved along.
                      Jac Haud made the feature but dropped out as they seemed to have mechanical issues. Hopefully they get the hauler back and all those issues worked out.
                      You couldnt ask for a better selection of drivers. Saw lots of the younger drivers showing some talent that will continue to grow.
                      I will say Wayne County never disappoints.

Comment

• 35 Raceway Park Review

I arrived pretty early last night for my first visit to the grounds of 35 Raceway Park. I walked around a bit and looked at the buildings and area as I got my seat. You can tell nearly everything on-site was hand built out of 2x4’s, plywood and Sheet Metal. Not very appealing to the eye, but efficient. There were 4 porta pots which served as the bathroom. The stands were wooden with chain link to keep ya from falling. Well built and sturdy stands. The catch fence spanned from turn 4 to entrance of turn 1. Chain link with 5 cables pulled taut behind it, similar to Waynesfield. Turns 1 & 2 we’re a double guard rail, front stretch/backstretch was concrete, and 3&4 was open with a double guard rail in 4 to prevent someone getting into pits.

Not the most timely, prepped the track 3 times while I was there. Was doing it when I pulled in, did it after hot laps and before sprint qualifying, and once more after that. That being said the track ended up spot on for the feature so can’t complain there. They pushed sprints to infield 5-6 at a time. Pushed them off with 4 wheelers (no push trucks there). First few qualifiers transponder system wasn’t working so they ended up trying 2-3 times before it worked. They don’t typically use transponders there. Started around 730-745ish for a listed start time of 7.

Racing was fantastic, the 23 OVSCA sprints put on a whale of a show. Rookie Hake Hesson took the lead from his pole starting spot and held on until Kody Kinser passed him on the low side AND simultaneously Skaggs passed around the top to take the lead. Kinser and Skaggs battled until a yellow paused action. Many drivers came from deep in the field and to finish well. A few cars got torn up pretty good.

Surprised to get 23 Sprints, they started all of them in the feature. They ran sprint feature before 2 divisions even ran heats which I appreciated. I stayed for 2 more features before I headed out at 10:35. Sprints were done at 9:22.

cheapest concessions I’ve ever seen, most expensive item was $3. Cheeseburger very good pizza not so much.

All in all, this place IS local grassroots racing at its finest. Their regular divisions had 8, 11, 12, 15 cars (V8 Sportsman, 4cyl Stocks, Sport Mods, compacts). Not huge, but reminds me of Wayne county kinda group in stocks. Highly competitive and doing it for fun.

Id recommend a trip down their sometime if anyone is in the area. I can’t promise it’ll be the best time of your life but it’s enjoyable and in a pretty location as well. Hard curfew set at 11:45 helps.
                        Attica (10), Fremont (6), Wayne Co. (2), Waynesfield (2), Butler (2), Gas City (2), Lawrenceburg (1), Mansfield (1), Eldora (1)

Comment

$100 to any non-transfer just possibly might have had a little to do with that decision as well as ump points. He's originally from Jackson Michigan and raced butler Fridays and Oakshade Saturday but has since moved and his "local" tracks have changed slightly. Lernerville might not get a full field but they get some fast cars so no podium finish nothing to laugh at. Have seen a few of their guys show at Attica and be bad fast

Comment

• The Dirt Million took money from many racers and redistributed it to very few. I view it as a Ponzi scheme. Given that the purse was half the missleadingly advertised $1 million, every one who paid an entrance fee, bought a ticket or purchased a pitpass got ripped off. Will the "Million" return in 2019? Yup. Big names racing for big dollars will always appeal to the casual fan. Rusty Sclenk avoided Mansfield which he had every right to do. Some folks call what he does cherry picking. I say he races a true outlaw schedule. Maybe he will be at Eldora this weekend.

Comment

• Weekend Highlights
                              -It's one of the last crown jewel races of the season in Ohio with the World 100 getting underway Thursday at Eldora Speedway. Thursday and Friday each feature twin $10k to win feature events that are 25 laps in length. The prestigious weekend comes to a close on Saturday with the 48th annual World 100 paying out $51k to the winner. The points accumulated on Friday and Saturday will line up the starting heat races on Saturday's program so no sitting through a long night of qualifying before hand for those who don't enjoy that.

-The Apple Festival Nationals round out the season at Sharon Speedway September 7th and 8th. Friday the 7th the show is headlined by the Big Block Modifieds with four other classes running full shows on that evening. Three other divisions will run their heat races on Friday as well, and finish out their shows on Saturday. Saturday the 410's are the only division running a complete show, the Stocks, RUSH sportsman and econo-mods will finish out their racing that evening as well. I personally am not a fan of splitting the heats and features across two days but if you'll be in for the entire weekend the show should be quick on Saturday. Tickets are $13 on Friday and $18 on Saturday with Pit Passes costing $35. A two day GA pass is $28 and a two day pit pass is $65.

-Atomic Speedway is having one of their reduced general admission nights featuring the Winged 410 Sprints as a headliner. With 305s, Modifieds, and Sport Mods all on the card for $5 this race is a steal to get to if it's within reasonable distance. The 305s at Atomic are an open class so you may see a few northerners pop in unexpectedly, such as former FAST Rookie of the Year Chase Dunham who made an appearance last weekend.

-Fremont gets back to racing after a month off for the fair, featuring season championship night for all of their divisions. The 410 race will also be one of the final two FAST 410 races to take place on the season. The dirt truck points championship can literally not get any closer, as Jeff Ward and Keith Sorg are tied for the lead with only one race remaining. Brad Stuckey also is within striking distance at only 19 points back. Craig Mintz likely has the 410 track championship in the bag as he leads Attica Champion Stuart Brubaker by 68 marks and Chris Andrews by 71. The 305s feature the tightest points battle of all throughout the field, with John Ivy leading Seth Schneider by 28 points. The top 5 in points are only seperated by 49 points and if any major mistakes happen we could see a huge shakeup in the final points. Dustin Keegan currently is leading the Limited Late Model division for his first track championship within the division.

-With the Late Models down at Eldora, Oakshade will be featuring the Modifieds for an $800 to win show along with their normal support divisions.

-35 Raceway Park has their normal program on Saturday night, but all attendees 17 and under get in FREE for back to school night. Meaning most high school Juniors and under can attend free of admission to get to see a decent race.

Weekend Plans
                              Work work work work work. Friday night, then back to back 12 hour shifts Saturday and Sunday nights. Schedule is starting to get a little wimpy now.
                              • September 6th
                                • Eldora Speedway – Late Model World 100
                              • September 7th
                                • Sharon Speedway – Big Block Modifieds, RUSH Sprints, Modlites, Dwarf Cars, Jr Sprints (Full shows), Stocks, RUSH Sportsman, Econo-Mods (Heats only)
                              • September 8th
                                • Atomic Speedway – 410 Sprints, OTSCS 305 Sprints, Modifieds, Sport Modifieds ($5 GA)
                                • Fremont Speedway – FAST 410 Sprints, 305 Sprints, Trucks, Crate Late Models
                                • Oakshade Raceway – Modifieds, Sportsmans, Stocks, Compacts
                                • Sharon Speedway – 410 Sprints (Complete show), Stocks, RUSH Sportsman, Econo Mods (B-Mains and Features)
                                • 35 Raceway Park – Modifieds, Sport Modifieds, Modlites, Stocks, Compacts, 4cyl Stocks, Enduro

Comment

• Originally posted by racemak View Post
                                The Dirt Million took money from many racers and redistributed it to very few. I view it as a Ponzi scheme. Given that the purse was half the missleadingly advertised $1 million, every one who paid an entrance fee, bought a ticket or purchased a pitpass got ripped off. Will the "Million" return in 2019? Yup. Big names racing for big dollars will always appeal to the casual fan. Rusty Sclenk avoided Mansfield which he had every right to do. Some folks call what he does cherry picking. I say he races a true outlaw schedule. Maybe he will be at Eldora this weekend.
                                Man you just love to bash Mansfield every chance you get, huh? Every fan knew what the purse was starting out at and how it was being raised well in advance. If there were fans truly unaware that it didn't reach the $1 million goal then they must've been living under a rock the past 3 months. Every person I know who went to the SCWC loved it (even with freezing temps) and it sounds like the other big events at Mansfield have been a success as well. Hopefully this rock problem gets straightened out and Mansfield will see continued success.

Comment

Working...
                                X