Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2018 Silly Season News Thread (Teams/Drivers/Tracks)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally, a race at Fremont. Sunday is Johnny Auxter Day. Vintage racing. The name implies that the event is in the afternoon, but I can't say for sure.

Comment

• Hilltop in Millersburg is racing on September 8.
      Show was added recently.
      It features Late Models plus regular show.
      Should see some locals plus those who may stop in not going to Eldora.

Comment

• Will be interesting to see if any racing happens this weekend not only in Ohio, but elsewhere in the Midwest!
        R _ _ _!
        2019 Race Counter: 14
        Tracks: Attica (3), Bubba (3), Eldora (1), Fremont (1), Mansfield (1), Volusia (4), Wayne County (1).
        DirtVision: 14.
        Speedshift: 5.
        Rain: Way to many to even count already!!

Comment

• Originally posted by DirtRacer42 View Post

Curious do you get on sprint car locals that do the same thing when bigger events are around here? They seem to skip a lot of the bigger events so they can be the big fish in small pond deal and it has been that way for along time.

So if you know he wasn't going to make the 100 lapper and you believe he knows it so why should he go? The purse wasn't great if you didn't make the 24 spots so why go then just to be part of the field and get a lot of rocks thrown at your car?
          I haven't noticed it in sprints as much. I mean not already being registered for a show that big and then driving by that track to go another 3.5 hours for a 1000 to win - terrible payout through the field show. He was on the woo tour beginning of this year and cherry picks attica every chance he gets and wins a lot. In my opinion he should of been there and I lost a little respect for that team. Its my opinion don't have to be yours.

Comment

• Dont say it. Fingers crossed.

Comment

• 99 cars were pre registered.
              77 came.
              22 went somewhere else or stayed home.

Comment

• Originally posted by mudinmybeer View Post

I haven't noticed it in sprints as much. I mean not already being registered for a show that big and then driving by that track to go another 3.5 hours for a 1000 to win - terrible payout through the field show. He was on the woo tour beginning of this year and cherry picks attica every chance he gets and wins a lot. In my opinion he should of been there and I lost a little respect for that team. Its my opinion don't have to be yours.

That's how he wins Ump points. He travels to a ump track that hosts a local show and gains points by doing so. The points pay good but if you earn it like that what does it prove?

Comment

• Originally posted by SAF92 View Post

Man you just love to bash Mansfield every chance you get, huh? Every fan knew what the purse was starting out at and how it was being raised well in advance. If there were fans truly unaware that it didn't reach the $1 million goal then they must've been living under a rock the past 3 months. Every person I know who went to the SCWC loved it (even with freezing temps) and it sounds like the other big events at Mansfield have been a success as well. Hopefully this rock problem gets straightened out and Mansfield will see continued success.
                  I have been here only a short time, but I can tell that racemak would rather support the local shows at Attica, Fremont, or Oakshade than go to a WoO/All-Star show at Attica, Eldora, or even the bigger shows at Mansfield. His preference and he can do what he wants to do with his money, but I would rather go see some of the best and battle those locals as well which makes the show bigger and better for only a few dollars more and that is how I would rather spend my money.

Seems some people are way to sensitive around here and trying to tell people what they should like or shouldn't just because it doesn't jive up with their opinion.

Originally posted by mudinmybeer View Post

Well there isn't to many sprint car races where you have to be pre-registered besides this years Mansfield race and Knoxville so not sure how that matters. There are a lot of local sprint car teams that seem to stay away from bigger sprint car events in the state of Ohio and seemingly stay home instead of going racing when places like Attica, Fremont, or Wayne County aren't running.

I am betting he is at the World 100 this weekend and that will have more cars than Mansfield did so not sure you can use the excuse of competition. I am betting he looked at the UMP points, looked at the purse especially if you didn't make the A-Main and decided to go elsewhere. Who knows maybe he didn't want to be at Mansfield because of past experiences and wants them to fix some things before he does return. Hard to tell him or any other driver where they should or shouldn't be.

Originally posted by RYAN5R View Post

That's how he wins Ump points. He travels to a ump track that hosts a local show and gains points by doing so. The points pay good but if you earn it like that what does it prove?
                  What does it matter because everybody can do the same thing. No different than somebody winning at Attica/Fremont/Wayne County because they go to every race while somebody else might take a night off to go run a All-Star or WoO race some place.

In 5 years nobody is going to say he won the UMP championship because he went to all these small tracks to gain points. Who cares how he does it. It is no different than some sprint car teams driving further on a weekly Saturday night to go to Wayne County because the competition might be easier than say Fremont or teams bypassing Attica this past Friday night to run at Gas City because of the competition or cars bypassing Attica to go run at Atomic on Saturday night. Their choice, their money, and their lives are the ones that make those choices. Yea the fans want as many cars at a track or event as possible, but shouldn't be butt-hurt over a guy not showing up and running some place else.
                  Last edited by DirtRacer42; September 4th, 2018, 09:37 PM.
                  Tracks: Attica (3), Bubba (3), Eldora (1), Fremont (1), Mansfield (1), Volusia (4), Wayne County (1).

Comment

• Originally posted by RRacer70 View Post
                    Hilltop in Millersburg is racing on September 8.
                    Show was added recently.
                    It features Late Models plus regular show.
                    Should see some locals plus those who may stop in not going to Eldora.
                    Thanks for pointing that out. Original schedule did not have this event listed and I don’t always catch everything.
                    Attica (6), Butler (1), Fremont (2), Lawrenceburg (1), Wayne Co. (2), Mansfield (1), Gas City (1)

Comment

• Originally posted by RRacer70 View Post
                      Dont say it. Fingers crossed.
                      Just looking at every weather app I have along with every local channel in which the next 10 day forecast doesn't look good in about 7-8 of them and Friday/Saturday isn't one of those that looks good especially when most have shown 50% and might be higher in certain areas. Hope it works out for them though especially Eldora putting on one of the biggest late model races of the year.

Comment

• Yes I heard Hilltop running on Saturday at Wayne county.
                        Not sure what all classes they are calling their regular show for that night.
                        You pull up the FB not a lot of info.

Comment

• TV stations in northwest Ohio are predicting rain not commencing until “ late Saturday “. The weather is remnants from that tropical storm. The Johnny Auxter Event at Fremont for vintage cars is Sunday afternoon. If it’s like last year, there are no food or beverage sales, so plan on bringing your own.

Comment

• As I remember, Rusty Schlenk won 2 races at Mansfield last season. Doesn't that make him the winningest late model driver in Mansfield's back to dirt era? I also remember a large cash bonus was offered to any driver who could win all 3 races in some kind of triple crown. Again from memory......The third race was rained out. The bonus was withdrawn and Rusty raced elsewhere on the rain date. (Sorry, GT. The Schlenk saga has taken on a life of its own and hijacked your thread.)

Comment

• Originally posted by DirtRacer42 View Post

What does it matter because everybody can do the same thing. No different than somebody winning at Attica/Fremont/Wayne County because they go to every race while somebody else might take a night off to go run a All-Star or WoO race some place.

In 5 years nobody is going to say he won the UMP championship because he went to all these small tracks to gain points. Who cares how he does it. It is no different than some sprint car teams driving further on a weekly Saturday night to go to Wayne County because the competition might be easier than say Fremont or teams bypassing Attica this past Friday night to run at Gas City because of the competition or cars bypassing Attica to go run at Atomic on Saturday night. Their choice, their money, and their lives are the ones that make those choices. Yea the fans want as many cars at a track or event as possible, but shouldn't be butt-hurt over a guy not showing up and running some place else.

I don't care where he races i'm just saying he usually runs UMP only tracks. Local shows get the same UMP points as the big ones. If he wants to drive all over and miss the big money shows to run a track that is a UMP track so be it. He's ran 61 UMP races so far this year and is 30 points of 2nd place that has run 45 races.

Comment

• Lucas Oil Series is not associated with UMP. No UMP points were available at the Dirt Million. WoO latemodels are UMP. Ditto for ALMS and of course the Hell Tour. I'm more of a Ryan Missler fan than a Schlenk fan. Plenty of drama ensued after Schlenk and Missler got togather in their heat. The crowd was definately pro-Missler.

Comment

Working...
                                X