Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2018 Silly Season News Thread (Teams/Drivers/Tracks)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WCS will be my track of choice this weekend. The never ever won races have been very good the last 2 years. They had a late model one 2 years ago, last year sprints and this year back to lates.

Show is typically well run, good reasonable concession and the important one is have to work Saturday and time wise is my best choice.

Comment

• Once again a great job, GT.

Comment

• Heading to Eldora both nights.Really interested to watch Buddy Kofoid and Zeb Wise race.Two young and up and coming drivers.Kofoid is 16 and Wise 15.

Comment

• If Wise is 15 you won't be seeing him racing at Eldora this weekend. Their rules state driver must be 16.

Comment

• Had a good weekend at Wayne County.
            Give a lot of credit to the Florys and staff putting the effort into getting the show in on Friday with the huge rainstorm.
            Saturday was great racing. Packed pits.

Comment

• Eldora was fantastic again this past weekend with very good weather and a lot of good racing.

The WoO show was very good Friday night and seeing Greg Wilson come from the back once again was great to see along with Dave Blaney coming from mid-pack, Rico coming from the back to a top 10 as well. Others had pretty impressive nights as well such as the winner Marks who won his first race at Eldora, but the biggest surprise might have been how stacked the B-Main was that night seeing Schatz take a provisional while Rico, Ian, Wilson, and Macedo coming out of the B.

Saturday I thought the track was really good, but I guess Robert Ballou didn't think so more on that later. Seen a lot of racing from the top, to the middle having a couple of lanes and the bottom. Seeing Reutzel coming from mid-pack was impressive and once again a lot of cars moving up from the back. Seeing Philo have a good run at Eldora for a local guy was nice to see. I love the midgets at Eldora, but wondering if these cars should be limited to tracks smaller than a 1/2 mile tracks? When they flip it is nasty because of the size of the cars, the banking, how much speed they generate, etc... USAC sprints and silver crown cars put on a very good show even though I don't follow them as much.

To me, Saturday's 4-crown is one of the bigger events that doesn't get the pub it probably should. Had a pretty good crowd for the event and probably one of the bigger ones for this event when I have attended it. Remember along time ago it use to be a lot smaller event than now and nice seeing people coming to it. If you like any form of sprint cars this is one to attend.

Not sure if I hit the World 100 make-up show or not, but planning on the WoO Sunday show. Really hoping it is a day-time event (2- 4 o'clock start) since I have a couple hour drive home and work on Monday.

Biggest controversy was on Sunday when Robert Ballou opened up mouth and a lot of fans, drivers (Schuchart who said he even used his tire from Eldora at Lernerville the next night - Kyle Larson - Spenser Bayston - Tony Stewart - Rico), , teams, and owners (Tony Stewart and Keith Kunz) basically said he was wrong and shut the hell up. I don't follow him, but seems a lot of fans believe he complains about everything and got bitched slapped as they say.
              Last edited by DirtRacer42; September 24th, 2018, 06:38 AM.
              2019 Race Counter: 14
              Tracks: Attica (3), Bubba (3), Eldora (1), Fremont (1), Mansfield (1), Volusia (4), Wayne County (1).
              DirtVision: 14.
              Speedshift: 5.
              Rain: Way to many to even count already!!

Comment

• Originally posted by DirtRacer42 View Post
                Biggest controversy was on Sunday when Robert Ballou opened up mouth and a lot of fans, drivers (Schuchart who said he even used his tire from Eldora at Lernerville the next night - Kyle Larson - Spenser Bayston - Tony Stewart - Rico), , teams, and owners (Tony Stewart and Keith Kunz) basically said he was wrong and shut the hell up. I don't follow him, but seems a lot of fans believe he complains about everything and got bitched slapped as they say.
                He's part of the group that believe earl was a god and that Tony can't do anything right. All he does is gripe about it no matter how the conditions are. Wish he'd just stop going to Eldora cause all he does is whine and complain about it every single time. When NOBODY else is complaining about something and you are I think it's clear who is incorrect.

Now one thing he did bring up is safety regarding Bayston's wreck. And I will say I agree that they should take midgets off of Eldora, it's entertaining but those cars go way too fast on that track.
                Attica (6), Butler (1), Fremont (2), Lawrenceburg (1), Wayne Co. (2), Mansfield (1), Gas City (1)

Comment

• Originally posted by GTigers55 View Post
                  Now one thing he did bring up is safety regarding Bayston's wreck. And I will say I agree that they should take midgets off of Eldora, it's entertaining but those cars go way too fast on that track.
                  I think you could say that for any half mile track anymore. I believe they should be limited to tracks under a half mile (IMO) ... because of their speed and their size doesn't bold well when something goes wrong.
                  Tracks: Attica (3), Bubba (3), Eldora (1), Fremont (1), Mansfield (1), Volusia (4), Wayne County (1).
                  DirtVision: 14.
                  Speedshift: 5.
                  Rain: Way to many to even count already!!

Comment

• Weekend Outlook
                    -A postponement led to the World of Outlaw Late Models spring fling at Atomic now being a fall brawl, with an $8k to win show on Friday night and a $10k to win show Saturday this is a can't miss for late model racing fans. The battle for the points championship in the WoOLMS has really heated up lately with Mike Marlar holding a slim 4 point advantage over Chris Madden. Defending champ Brandon Sheppard trails by 40 points in 3rd place, and Dresden Ohio native Devin Moran is 198 markers back in fourth place. These two races are the final Outlaw late model races prior to the season finale at the World Finals in Charlotte. However, late models are not the only big race on the card this weekend at Atomic Speedway. Due to rainouts earlier in the year, the $5k to win modified mayhem event will take place Saturday and is one of the highest paying Modified races in the state each year. You can certainly expect a plump field of cars in each of these two divisions. Both nights will have Late Models, Modifieds, and Sport Mods on the card.

-Oakshade Raceway hosts its final race of the year highlighted by topless late models. The event will feature the full card of usual classes (see below) at Oakshade and it will be interesting to see if anyone can knock off back to back track champion Devin Shiels or the dominant Rusty Schlenk off the top spot with the top off.

-Skyline Speedway hosts the OGVC Freedom 30 Steel Block late model feature in which the winner will receive a provisional into Skyline's most prestigious event of the year, the Harvest 50. Also on the card are super late models, modifieds, sport mods, and compacts. The folks over there seem to be doing their best to revive this track into prominence, though I'm not in the area I think this would be a good track to support and from video's I've seen has been a racy track.

-The last night of racing will fall on the little bullring of 35 Raceway park with Pepsi season championship night Saturday night. The track has some pretty damn good racing and is a rough looking gem out in the country, with only $12 general admission for about 80 cars across the divisions it's worth the visit if you're anywhere nearby.

-Indiana USAC tripleheader: This weekend is a big weekend on Ohio's western border. Thursday kicks off the action with the rescheduled Kokomo Smackdown taking place with the USAC Sprints and the BOSS sprints in a non points race as a support division. Friday night the USAC sprints head back to Gas City for the first time since it's revival this season after rain postponed their first attempt earlier in the month. The season championships across all divisions will also be on the line at the race dubbed as the James Dean Classic. There is a tight battle and an interesting storyline shaping in the non-wing sprints, with the Missouri native Clinton Boyles aboard the Paul Hazen 57 leading former Hazen sprint driver Shane Cottle aboard the 71P machine. Whether their is a little more motivation for Cottle to try to beat his old car for the title only he knows, but I'd imagine this race with the USAC sprints sprinkled in could be a fantastic competition across the field. The last race is USAC's Lawrenceburg's Fall Classic paying $10k to win. Although the car count has dipped in recent years at the event, a strong field of sprints can be expected at the fantastic facility of the track known to many simply as "The 'Burg".

-BOSS Winged Sprints return with a rescheduled event at Montpelier Motor Speedway and look to have an even stronger field than on the initial scheduled date. A great field of cars can be expected for this event, with Ohio locals such as Travis Philo and Lee Jacobs expressing interest in the race via twitter. Along with the strong group of locals in Wimmer, Armstrong, Kody Kinser, Thomas, and some young up and comers trying to make the switch to wings a varied field of experience versus bravery will shape up at the tiny bullring. This marks only the 5th winged 410 race at Montpelier in the tracks storied history and I believe this event is a can't miss. In addition to the sprints, the season championships are on the line at Montpelier as well, with Midgets, Modfieds, and 3 different stock divisions in support to battle for their title. To note: Start times were moved up. Gates open at 1, Hot Laps are slated for 4, and Racing at 5.

-The last big race within reasonable distance going on this weekend is the finale of the Berlin Goes Dirt series for this year. If the event didn't conflict with Indiana, this would have been the event I'd attend this weekend. Featuring the American Ethanol Late Model Tour and the Modified tour, as well as the Sprints On Dirt at one of the premier (usually) pavement facilities located in the mitten. There are a bevy of bonuses for those competing in the SOD race and the Michigan based Lane Racing team driven by Cap Henry will be one of the FAST locals in attendance. I would not be surprised to see some others make the tow north as well.
                    • September 28th
                      • Atomic Speedway – WoO Late Models, Modifieds, Sport Modifieds
                    • September 29th
                      • Atomic Speedway – WoO Late Models, Modifieds, Sport Modifieds
                      • Oakshade Raceway – Late Models, Sportsmans, Stocks, Compacts
                      • Skyline Speedway – Late Models, Steel Block Late Models, Modifieds, Sport Mods, Compacts
                      • 35 Raceway Park – Modifieds, Sport Modifieds, Modlites, Stocks, Compacts, 4cyl Stocks, Enduro

Attica (6), Butler (1), Fremont (2), Lawrenceburg (1), Wayne Co. (2), Mansfield (1), Gas City (1)

Comment

• Ill be at Thunder Mountain this weekend. 4k and 7k to win latemodels. Good field of cars already committed. Doug drown, chub frank, boom briggs, doug eck, matt lux, greg oakes, charles powell, and jared miley.

Comment

• Since I forgot to mention in the opening post.

My weekend plans are Gas City Friday and Montpelier Saturday. Camping out and gonna visit Oubache State Park while we're out there. My fiance is finally getting dragged along this weekend so lucky her!

Comment

• In my opinion its terrible that there isn't a 410 race between Indiana and central,pa this weekend. I mean I get fall is coming but its still September...... Someone could of cashed in on a show.

Comment

• Originally posted by mudinmybeer View Post
                            In my opinion its terrible that there isn't a 410 race between Indiana and central,pa this weekend. I mean I get fall is coming but its still September...... Someone could of cashed in on a show.
                            I’m not certain but I believe this Saturday at atomic was a regular show for sprints but due to the outlaw postponement the sprints were removed from the card.

Comment

• Ill be sitting this weekend out with work and the races all 3 hour drives does not work.

Comment

• Thank's to Fremont's many rainouts and limited August schedule, I've been to Oakshade a lot this season. The Oakshade LM's are topless for this final race of the year. Barberton Speedway has its Cavalcade Sunday afternoon. Its a possible, and its pavement. Watching the Browns at the Old Dutch Tavern is also an option. At 1-1-1, The Browns currently have a better record than the Patriots. I'm jumping on the Browns bandwagon if they win.

Comment

Working...
                                X