Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2018 Silly Season News Thread (Teams/Drivers/Tracks)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by racemak View Post
    Attica had only two unsanctioned races, Fremont had one. Blame the weatherman for that. The resulting averages are based on too small of a sample size to be useful. I really don't consider FAST shows at either track to be sanctioned events and the average car count of those events might be more meaningful. In all types of racing, there are fewer cars than there used to be and every year a few more teams quit the sport. Car culture is dying. Look at the crowd at just about any race. Its mostly old white guys like me. When we're gone, probably so is racing. Robot racecars might be the future of the sport. Computer controled electric sprint cars? Who knows?
    Wow you sound like the old guy that says "get off my lawn".

Instead of just going to local shows as you claim you need to go to a all-star, WoO, or a big event like the Kings Royal at Eldora where they had a big car count, the largest crowd ever at that event which broke last years record.

The racing isn't dying just old men who always believe back in the day was better.
    2019 Race Counter: 23
    Tracks: Attica (5), Bubba (3), Eldora (5), Fremont (1), Mansfield (1), Sharon (1), Volusia (4), Waynesfield (1), Wayne County (2).
    DirtVision: 24.
    Speedshift: 29.
    Rain: Way to many to even count already!!

Comment

• Originally posted by DirtRacer42 View Post

Instead of just going to local shows as you claim you need to go to a all-star, WoO, or a big event like the Kings Royal at Eldora where they had a big car count, the largest crowd ever at that event which broke last years record.

The racing isn't dying just old men who always believe back in the day was better.
      He’s the same guy that said racing was better when women and children weren’t allowed, if that tells you anything.

Comment

I really don't consider FAST shows at either track to be sanctioned events and the average car count of those events might be more meaningful.
        All that information is in the original post for each track. Under the FAST, OSCS, OVSCA, BOSS section.

Also yes to Eldora i’ll Probably throw them in once they finish Sunday. Their car count average is in line with all other tracks for ASCoC/WoO events
        2019 Race Counter: 27
        Attica (10), Fremont (6), Wayne Co. (2), Waynesfield (2), Butler (2), Gas City (2), Lawrenceburg (1), Mansfield (1), Eldora (1)

Comment

• Originally posted by DirtRacer42 View Post

A big car count and a record crowd don't make an event better. Just bigger. Car culture is waning. Young people have other interests. That's okay.
          I have been to most of the big races like the Kings Royal, World 100, Indy 500, etc. Some multiple times. I prefer local weekly racing at Attica and Fremont.

Comment

A big car count and a record crowd don't make an event better. Just bigger. Car culture is waning. Young people have other interests. That's okay.
            I have been to most of the big races like the Kings Royal, World 100, Indy 500, etc. Some multiple times. I prefer local weekly racing at Attica and Fremont.
            Your the one just saying car counts are down, crowds are down, etc... LOL

They have been saying car culture or whatever for many, many years since I was a kid. Things change and move on, but to act like racing is going to die in 5-10 years your insane and that is what your comments sure do sound like.

Of course young people have other interest and that is okay because it is up to the older people like yourself to get those younger fans to a race track. If you don't have younger people in your life take a friend who might have kids, family that do.

People can complain all they want about the next generation like they have the past 60-70 years, but guess what things keep moving on.
            2019 Race Counter: 23
            Tracks: Attica (5), Bubba (3), Eldora (5), Fremont (1), Mansfield (1), Sharon (1), Volusia (4), Waynesfield (1), Wayne County (2).
            DirtVision: 24.
            Speedshift: 29.
            Rain: Way to many to even count already!!

Comment

• As a 30somthing native of Ohio and avid sprint car fan, these numbers just make me realize how spoiled we are. Any given weekend in this state there are 60 some teams supporting the sport. Im sure PA and CA have similar if not better numbers, but I'll take these car counts over a lot of other states.
              TweetTweet - TheAMain

Comment

• I did this last year and I decided to bring it back for a second year. Listed are the top 20 drivers in points for races taking place within Ohio based on top 10 finishes only. Winners gained 10 points, second got 9, and so on down to 1 point for 10th. A total of 52 unique dates of racing occured this year, I.e. a driver who competed in a race every day that was possible would have ran 52 races. Last year Cole Duncan won with 185 points with Tim Shaffer coming in second by only a single point in the 54 contested races. Keep in mind these only include races that were contested within Ohio's borders.

Enjoy!
                Driver Points Top 10s Top 5s Wins Best Finish
                Cap Henry 160 25 17 5 1
                Tim Shaffer 137 20 14 6 1
                Craig Mintz 133 18 14 4 1
                Cole Duncan 129 19 13 6 1
                Danny Smith 117 15 14 1 1
                Lee Jacobs 115 16 11 1 1
                Stuart Brubaker 110 19 9 2 1
                Carson Macedo 106 16 11 2 1
                Aaron Reutzel 91 15 9 3 1
                Byron Reed 90 14 11 1 1
                Jordan Ryan 90 13 10 2 1
                Danny Mumaw 77 9 8 4 1
                Trey Jacobs 77 12 7 0 2
                Jac Haudenschild 76 11 7 3 1
                Chad Kemenah 74 14 7 2 1
                Travis Philo 74 16 5 1
                Chris Andrews 68 11 6 2 1
                Ron Blair 68 10 6 0 2
                Dave Blaney 67 13 7 1 1
                Donny Schatz 67 7 7 5 1
                Last edited by GTigers55; October 20th, 2018, 04:07 PM.
                Attica (10), Fremont (6), Wayne Co. (2), Waynesfield (2), Butler (2), Gas City (2), Lawrenceburg (1), Mansfield (1), Eldora (1)

Comment

• All Done! All of the track Champions in Ohio have now been crowned.

Comment

• Pretty damn pathetic for Limaland if ya ask me. Guess they can't have Nascar sprints, LOL

Comment

• Weekend Outlook
                      -The 38th Annual Dirt Track World Championship at Portsmouth Raceway Park kicks off tonight with a full show for the UMP Modifieds and practice for the Lucas Oil Late Models. The Friday and Saturday events will be for both the Lucas Oil Late Models and the Modifieds. If you're planning on attending the event, be wary of the way their ticket pricing is set up. You CANNOT buy a single day for the Thursday or Friday show. If you buy a ticket for Thursday it's for Th/Fri/Sat and GA is $60, if you get it on Friday it's still $60, if you get it on Saturday only it's $50. It's a big part of the reason I didn't go to watch the Thursday race last year when I was still in Dayton. I hate when tracks do this (think PPMS does it for their Lucas show too). Keeps me from the track. That being said, the racing at PRP is fantastic and hopefully the cool temps and $$$ doesn't scare anyone off from attending the show. I just think everyone should be informed before they travel there to find that out.

-Hilltop Speedway added a date for some of their undercard divisions and is a much shorter drive for any of us who wanna catch one more show before the winter weather fully sets in.

Weekend Plan
                      -Working Friday night and Saturday night. No racing for me. Will try to watch what I can on Dirtvision before I head off to work since I've got the fast pass to end out the season (unfortunately this doesn't include World Finals). I'm getting my wisdom teeth pulled next weekend so I'll be watching the Tusky 50 on Dirtvision.
                      • October 18th
                        • Portsmouth Raceway Park – Modifieds, Lucas Oil Late Models Practice – DTWC
                      • October 19th
                        • Portsmouth Raceway Park – Lucas Oil Late Models, Modifieds – DTWC
                      • October 20th
                        • Portsmouth Raceway Park – Lucas Oil Late Models, Modifieds – DTWC
                        • Hilltop Speedway – Stocks, Modlites, Compacts, Enduros

Comment

• Hilltop opening gates at 11am Heats at 1pm.
                        Looks like they are trying to get everyone out before dark.
                        You can see races first if you have no enduro interest.
                        Mini stocks also have special feature for those with no feature wins.
                        This is a copy of the WCS race they run for sprints and lates so should drum up some interest.
                        Modlites run really well at Hilltop and they get over 30 of them.
                        Track prep has been really good at last 3 races there.

DTWC dont like the ticket pricing. I think they would lose money cause some folks cant go all 3 days.

Weather does not sound great for either place.

Hopefully it was dry enough earlier so those camping or parking at DTWC are not in a real mess.

Comment

• I couldnt get link to post so maybe someone can.

www.nytimes.com

under editors picks

The culture wars of car racing.

Writer does use stereotypes too much and does not give best image of fans.

What it does is give coverage of dirt track sprint racing.

This is the Oct. 18 issue.
                          Last edited by RRacer70; October 18th, 2018, 11:22 AM.

Comment

• DTWC will be broadcast live on Lucas Oil Racing TV.

Comment

• What is pricing for Lucas Oil Racing TV

Comment

• Wayne County Speedway has done a Never Ever Won (NEW) for all the class' the last couple of years. (Sprints, Late Models, Super Stocks and Mini Stocks)

Comment

Working...
                                X