Racing Movies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Racing Movies

recently I heard about the new movie coming in 2018 about dirt late model racing starring John travolta. It's about father + son competing on rival teams at the talledaga dirt track.

Got me thinking, what are some of yalls favorite racing movies? Days of Thinder is probably my favorite I've seen. There is one which the name escapes me about to rival F1 drivers and one got critically injured in a crash that was really good. And tallafega nights was a good comedy too.

Six Pack

Comment

Driven with Sylvester stallone was alright

Comment

Originally posted by mudinmybeer View Post
        Driven with Sylvester stallone was alright
        OMG....that was the worst racing movie ever! LOL Painful to even watch

I agree Six Pack is a good one. There is a thunderstock driver at Ohsweken that has his car painted and numbered up just like Brewster Baker.

Comment

The F1 Movie is called "Rush" and is about the rivalry between James Hunt and Niki Lauda. I actually was leaning towards that being the name but didn't want to say it. Very good and recommend it if you haven't seen it.

Comment

Originally posted by Deadhorse View Post
            Six Pack
            Right on, a young Diane Lane hell yes.

Comment

Heart Like A Wheel....The story of Shirley Muldowney

Comment

Most of the racing themed movies out of Hollywood for decades have been of " B movie ” quality. There have been some, however, that had realistic themes and scenes and prominent actors . A few noteworthy ones : " Winning ", from the late 1960's. Starred Paul Newman, Joanne Woodward, Robert Wagner, and more. About an Indy 500 driver and his trials and tribulations. Execellant racing footage, including staged scenes filmed with actual drivers of the day. Some even had on screen cameo speaking roles. The most well done was " Grand Prix ". This was an extremely realistic movie and had a significant cast of real drivers in both staged scenes and even cameo speaking roles. Starred James Garner, Eva Marie Saint, and a significant cast. Garner, a racing enthusiast , also did his own driving in the staged scenes. Movie superstars Clark Gable and Barbara Stanwyck starred in " To Please a Lady ", about a dirt track midget and " big car " driver and his quest to race in and win at Indy. Many, many, dirt track scenes ( real and staged ) and realistic theme. " The Crowd Roars " starred James Cagney and was also about a dirt tracker and his brother and the Indy 500 and had numerous dirt track scenes with midget and " big cars ". All of the movies just mentioned include real drivers of the era in racing scenes and / or cameo speaking roles . I have all of these on DVD from Turner Classic Movies ( " TCM Vault " ). I have several other noteworthy movies too, but the aforementioned ones are enough for now to digest. As a final note, most or all of these are still available to purchase on a disc or rent via various on- line media.

Comment

Le Mans & Stroker Ace are quality.

Comment

Originally posted by Deadhorse View Post
                    Le Mans & Stroker Ace are quality.
                    Yes- I forgot LeMans in my first post. Excellent movie and Steve McQueen was into racing. I'm not a fan of the " spoof " movies like Stroker or Talledega Nights, as I worry that non racing fans will think that is what racing is all about. I have lots of non racing friends who do believe racing is all rednecks and road rage driving and etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy99 View Post

Yes- I forgot LeMans in my first post. Excellent movie and Steve McQueen was into racing. I'm not a fan of the " spoof " movies like Stroker or Talledega Nights, as I worry that non racing fans will think that is what racing is all about. I have lots of non racing friends who do believe racing is all rednecks and road rage driving and etc.
                      Logan Lucky kinda does that. It's not really a racing movie but moreso a heist movie. It's really good and funny but it's a good thing rednecks don't complain about being stereotyped in a movie. Makes race fans and West Virginians especially look like ignorant inbreds. But I don't care, it's a good movie, it was a comedy so if people really got ruffled feathers over it that's there own issue.

Comment

More of a documentary than a movie but if you've never seen it I highly recommend the movie Senna.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch15 View Post
                          More of a documentary than a movie but if you've never seen it I highly recommend the movie Senna.
                          Agreed. " Senna " is an extremely well done documentary about Senna, and particularly his concern over safety issues. Another great documentary is " 1 ", which covers the history of Formula One's struggle with the lack of safe tracks and safe race cars. Discusses the transition from horrendous conditions to greatly improved circuits and cars. Some rather startling film clips in this one. Highly recommend both.

Comment

The last really, really good racing movie I saw was when I got out our old 8mm movies of local racing from back in the late fifties and early sixties ... Watching the old footage makes you realize just how contrived,absurd, and just plain awful Hollywood racing movies are.

Comment

The movie "THE BIG WHEEL" With Mickey Rooney is on Youtube.
                              Lots of Midget racing at Legion Ascot Real footage anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X