Little Guy Nationals at Mercer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little Guy Nationals at Mercer

What a great event every year. They had 200+ cars in the pits and ran 9 divisions. It was good to see some of the attica/fremont 305s come over for the weekend and see the #9 of Ralls get the win Friday and #20 of Bova win Saturday. Matt Foos was closing in on Bova Saturday but couldn't get him in lapped traffic. Sad news at the drivers meeting Saturday when they said the tracks still forsale and the current owner wont be opening it next year. Hopefully it sells and someone opens it next year. Facility is in good shape and the track has good equipment. Problem is the tracks not shaped and banked right for 410s. I think Mercer could be more successful running Friday night and running the divisions Lernerville doesn't or doing a track reconfiguration for the 410s and raising the purse drastically. With Port Royal and WCS bringing in car counts Mercers been doomed in the 410 divison last two seasons.Not to mention 5 or 6 of there top teams are running with the allstars and fast series now from the lack of payout in western,pa. Hopefully this past weekend wasn't the last race at Mercer but time will tell.

Sorry to hear that they won't be reopening. I'm not entirely surprised as it seems Western PA really can't get the car counts they used to, especially with a lot of the guys leaving for the All Stars as you mentioned. Hopefully they sale or do end up opening next year. Maybe honestly the best move would be to just not run 410s as a class as they just don't seem to have enough cars in the region to really have it pay off? Regardless, best of luck to the crew at the track selling it and hopefully it'll open back up for 2018. Never have been there but my girlfriend and I are looking at a Western PA sprint car/camping trip sometime in the future and Mercer/PPMS were the tracks we looked at going too. Would like to go to lernerville but it's a decent drive from where we'd be camping at.

Comment

It"s another step in an overall decline in western Pa. Perhaps another person will step to the plate. Mercer has had problems for decades. They have had numerous promoters. The track was closed for a few years in the early 1980's. The fact that a few drivers are following the All Stars and the track's configuration are not the major problem. It's the steady and prolonged decline in attendance in the grandstands. Sportsmans Speedway in Knox closed a couple years ago and Hickory Motor Speedway in New Castle a good 10 years or more ago. Tri City in Franklin is down to running only a few events per year. Motordrome Speedway in Smithton closed a couple years ago. They ran as a dirt track for many years but in more recent years as an asphalt track. The All Stars raced there in the 1980's. Most of the western Pa. teams who are still in business don't seem to want to run more than one night per week. In the end though, it's the lack of attendance which produces red numbers. I've been to that track dozens of times from the mid 1980's to the present, and over time have seen the decline. I knew the lady promoter there many years ago ( Vicki Emig ). She was very good and quite knowledgeable, but she struggled there too. Sorry to see this happening, but unfortunately it's a sign of the times. The old crowd is dying off and not being replaced by the next generation. Sad.

Comment

We raced at Mercer in the 90s and 2000s The track usually had b mains in the 410s. Drivers liked the track configuration. That was what made it a go then. Grandstands were always full.
        Lots of Ohio teams traveled there.
        Sorry it has come to this.
        I haven't been there for close to 8 years.
        Really enjoyed Mercer.
        Same with Sportsman.

Comment

Working...
        X