Fremont Speedway Announcement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fremont Speedway Announcement

National Speed Sport News carried a story today ( Oct. 17 ) indicating that the Sandusky County Fair Board has purchased back the Fremont Speedway name , and that the current promoter will remain in place. Basically, this simply means the Fair Board will be responsible for the P& L. Not much of a change really, other than any profit or loss will be in their laps. I am surprised to see this, since earlier this summer they launched a $ 1.2 million, 5 year " Capital Campaign " in order to generate money to maintain the grounds and make improvements. I interpreted that move to mean they were short on funds to undertake the projects. One has to read and reread today's announcement very carefully to avoid reading too much into this latest move.

Probably smart move for Farmer. Doesn't have to worry about the profit/loss and can just run the track and the FAST series.

Comment

My guess is this will smooth over who is signing the contracts with the All Stars to get them back. Think as long as Farmer was the owner the All Stars would not come back.

Comment

As a follow up to my initial post, National Speed Sport News was apparently paraphrasing the announcement, and didn't do a very accurate job of it. In looking at the other version on the track website, the Fair Board is actually the promoter of record but Farmer stays on to manage the facility and events. I'm surprised the track didn't seek out a promoter to lease the track, as I don't believe there is a profit to be had given the current climate. Just an observation / opinion. Not busting anyone, but I don't think the Sandusky County Ag. Society has the resources to operate the track in the red.

Comment

Originally posted by staggerman View Post
          My guess is this will smooth over who is signing the contracts with the All Stars to get them back. Think as long as Farmer was the owner the All Stars would not come back.
          Well that would be nice for the local fan-base and maybe something the fair-board was thinking on this move?

Originally posted by Racing's Vigilante View Post
          As a follow up to my initial post, National Speed Sport News was apparently paraphrasing the announcement, and didn't do a very accurate job of it. In looking at the other version on the track website, the Fair Board is actually the promoter of record but Farmer stays on to manage the facility and events. I'm surprised the track didn't seek out a promoter to lease the track, as I don't believe there is a profit to be had given the current climate. Just an observation / opinion. Not busting anyone, but I don't think the Sandusky County Ag. Society has the resources to operate the track in the red.
          This could be interesting to see what kind of races go forward at Fremont?

Does this move mean the fair board was happy enough to keep him on because of how he ran the local shows and events at Fremont, but wasn't happy with Farmer and the direction he was taking the track in regards of not getting WoO race or losing the All-Stars 4-5 times a year as well and nothing that seemed like it would change for next season and beyond?

I am betting the track isn't losing money or going into the red like your stating ... if they was they wouldn't be taking back the track like they did or would have looked to get somebody else to promote the track.

Look at Attica for example that track is making money not only for the fair board, but the promoters as well. They have really upgraded the entire fair grounds since Attica started racing there. At one time they had all old buildings on the grounds and now all you see is a lot of bright shiny new big buildings ... the only buildings that are old are the main concession stand and the photo/souvenir building.

Comment

Another possibility is that the track does lose money but it has been portrayed as making money. Addionally, if it has been profitable, why would the promoter give up the business but then stay on ? I hope the ASCOC , especially those in their employ with no racing background, reconsider their punitive actions and reinstate the track in 2018.

Comment

Working...
            X