No announcement yet.

2018 ASCoC Schedule

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really would like to see Mansfield and Wayne county work together.
    Attica has the in on the politics angle and Fremont used to have it.
    Wayne and Mansfield have a lot in similarities with the racing. Lots of surprise wins and racing with the races not being won from the front roll.
    Promoters/ owners working on programs to go forward with the facilities.
    Those two together working on shows in tandem would be profitable I believe. They are close to each for travel distance.
    I would also like to see some of the wcs staff at Mansfield as that would be a huge improvement.
    But I think that wont happen as they are competing for Saturday night and it will be interesting to see the Fremont angle on Saturday.
    Speedweek at Mansfield would have been a nice addition.

Comment

Originally posted by GTigers55 View Post
      I honestly don't see the OSCS existing next year... I've mentioned before I think only Danny Smith and Reeser followed the full tour with guys like Ryan Meyers, Josh Davis, and Bryan Nuckles running the vast majority.

The FAST is a good little series in my opinion. I don't really mind the minor amount of travel they do. One far race at Atomic, one decent travel race in Mercer (defunct so that won't be happening) then Waynesfield and Mansfield which are close by. My ideal schedule for FAST IMO would be once at Waynesfield and Lima for a weekend, Mansfield and Wayne County for a swing (I know that won't happen bc WCS is a competing track so to speak) then MAYBE a Sharon/Lernerville swing. Other than that just run 16 races at Fremont & Attica. If there is a backing to increase the point fund for these shows to say a standard of $3500 or $4000 to win I think the series itself could become more of an Ohio regional series than the All Stars. Many of our local teams that run once or twice in the series and come back local don't like having to travel as much as they do with ASCoC and maybe the FAST could become the actual regional series in Northern OH? If Farmer can get financial backing to increase the race purse and the overall point fund it would be really interesting in my opinion. Especially with the crop of all stars that raced last year...
      With the allstars traveling more and more you would think the door is being left open for a regional traveling series. a lot of the allstars from last year couldn't make the a-main when they go to tracks with strong competition. so basically is the tow money worth staying on tour? and if good teams want to travel far and often why not just go outlaw? kemenah and Shaffer don't have nothing to prove by being an allstar. ryan smith could be a low tier outlaw with some backing also. I think last year was a start to a new trend with lee Jacobs, philo, and Shaffer not being apart of any series and running a true outlaw schedule of coming to the shows they wanted to and when they wanted to.

Comment

I find it funny how I manage to get the blame for Mansfield not having an All Star event. I will also be to blame for Wayne County only having 3 events this year and Atomic with just one event in 2018. Over the last couple of years I have been accused of trying to start a FAST Speedweek this is not true however it has made me think what that could look like compared the current one.

Sanction fee last known to me $9500 per night so lets say mother nature is kind and they get 7 events of the 9 in that is 66,500 then lets add some manufacturer funds 15,750 that is 82,250 without a single sponsor one or the weeks percentage of the annual commitments of the series. That number would be roughly 12% of the gross for the season. So I think it is safe to assume that we could get to 100K pretty easy for the week with all that included. So now where does it go....... Tow Money lets be generous giving to the 15 followers of the series and give them 250 per night so 3750 remember 7 nights 26,250 leaving 73,750 yet to spend. Let's now pay that points fund as of last season $3000 that takes us to 70,750. Advertising is done by the tracks and the remaining cost from an event falls onto the tracks. I know that the staff helps run the event and so forth just keep in mind that most all the tracks on the schedule race weekly and have staff for that. So 70,750 isn't bad to cover the staff for a weeks work.

So let's now look at what a Farmer program would look like and you can tell me what I am stupid enough to have missed. Lets reduce the sanction fee by 4000 to 5500 so we get the same 7 nights mother nature provided that get us to 38,500 and we will also try for the same manufacturer funds of 15,750. I feel that we could raise 10,500 in sponsors let's face it I am not a super star who can offer a name on my many time outlaw championship team nor can I bring funds from NASCAR to my series. So this gives us working capitol of 64,750 so what can we do with this. Lets pay the same 250 tow money but since we have such a good following for the week let's pay the top 20 in Speedweek points not series points that is 35,000 that leaves us with 29,750. Here is where it gets good people points fund for the week is 26,125 that pays 5000 to the winner and 500 to the 24th car for the week not a bad way to go I think. So we do have a couple bucks left over at 3625 that money would cover travel and rooms for the staff to assist as needed. The 4000 that the tracks saved could do a few things one reduce ticket cost by a couple bucks per person or they could do some entertaining things for fans or they could do a bit of both.

Since I have been blamed for this many times that is how I would operate Ohio Sprint Speedweek. I have always raced, owned cars, and promoted events for the love of the sport never for the money. I have been lucky enough to win as a driver also as a car owner with many great drivers I have also won several promoter awards nominated from my peers. I have nothing to prove in this sport and nothing to gain but more work. I have held off and not said a word while my name has been drug through the mud for something that is not facts. There are many great people in this sport who give all they have to compete and to attend so tell me why we can't give some back to them

Farmer
        Last edited by Rich Farmer; 3 weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Farmer View Post
          I find it funny how I manage to get the blame for Mansfield not having an All Star event. I will also be to blame for Wayne County only having 3 events this year and Atomic with just one event in 2018. Over the last couple of years I have been accused of trying to start a FAST Speedweek this is not true however it has made me think what that could look like compared the current one.

Sanction fee last known to me $9500 per night so lets say mother nature is kind and they get 7 events of the 9 in that is 66,500 then lets add some manufacturer funds 15,750 that is 82,250 without a single sponsor one or the weeks percentage of the annual commitments of the series. That number would be roughly 12% of the gross for the season. So I think it is safe to assume that we could get to 100K pretty easy for the week with all that included. So now where does it go....... Tow Money lets be generous giving to the 15 followers of the series and give them 250 per night so 3750 remember 7 nights 26,250 leaving 73,750 yet to spend. Let's now pay that points fund as of last season $3000 that takes us to 70,750. Advertising is done by the tracks and the remaining cost from an event falls onto the tracks. I know that the staff helps run the event and so forth just keep in mind that most all the tracks on the schedule race weekly and have staff for that. So 70,750 isn't bad to cover the staff for a weeks work.

So let's now look at what a Farmer program would look like and you can tell me what I am stupid enough to have missed. Lets reduce the sanction fee by 4000 to 5500 so we get the same 7 nights mother nature provided that get us to 38,500 and we will also try for the same manufacturer funds of 15,750. I feel that we could raise 10,500 in sponsors let's face it I am not a super star who can offer a name on my many time outlaw championship team nor can I bring funds from NASCAR to my series. So this gives us working capitol of 64,750 so what can we do with this. Lets pay the same 250 tow money but since we have such a good following for the week let's pay the top 20 in Speedweek points not series points that is 35,000 that leaves us with 29,750. Here is where it gets good people points fund for the week is 26,125 that pays 5000 to the winner and 500 to the 24th car for the week not a bad way to go I think. So we do have a couple bucks left over at 3625 that money would cover travel and rooms for the staff to assist as needed. The 4000 that the tracks saved could do a few things one reduce ticket cost by a couple bucks per person or they could do some entertaining things for fans or they could do a bit of both.

Since I have been blamed for this many times that is how I would operate Ohio Sprint Speedweek. I have always raced, owned cars, and promoted events for the love of the sport never for the money. I have been lucky enough to win as a driver also as a car owner with many great drivers I have also won several promoter awards nominated from my peers. I have nothing to prove in this sport and nothing to gain but more work. I have held off and not said a word while my name has been drug through the mud for something that is not facts. There are many great people in this sport who give all they have to compete and to attend so tell me why we can't give some back to them

Farmer
          Personally I'd love you to expand the FAST series so Ohio has a true regional series again since the ASCoC apparently have little interest in racing regionally anymore. Thanks for what you do promoting our sport!

Comment

Originally posted by GTigers55 View Post

Personally I'd love you to expand the FAST series so Ohio has a true regional series again since the ASCoC apparently have little interest in racing regionally anymore. Thanks for what you do promoting our sport!
            The numbers for following the FAST series has went down since they start traveling a lot more so not sure they want to keep doing that because it might turn into what happened to the OSCS series which was basically nothing more than a couple of guys that ran the entire series and actually hurt the sprint car programs at their home tracks as well.

What is kind of funny is not that long ago people complained about the All-Stars being in Ohio to much and watering the product of the "All-Stars" down by not making it "special event" or when they had an off night when Webb owned them you could see most of them over at Attica for the 14.00 cost (back then which is now 15) and then the following week you would basically see the same show for 20.00 (22.00 now) and people complained about that as well not understanding the extra money going to the purse and such.

You still can see the All-Stars almost every couple of weeks some place in Ohio for most of the year. After the speedweek shows they aren't around as much, but still can see most of them at the bigger races such as the WoO race at Attica for the Doty race, then you have the 3 WoO shows which is part of the Kings Royal. After that point they go on their little break from Ohio (which probably isn't a bad thing because all the big races in a short period with speedweek, Doty, and King Royal) with their Knoxville, NY, and PA stops which also include most of the series going to the Knoxville Nationals as well and in some cases for both the 360 and 410 events. Then they come back for the final stretch in the early and also late September back in Ohio to finish up the season. Also each time the WoO's are in Ohio (8 races) the All-Stars usually show up as well and are usually off those weekends because of it.

OH ... 20 races.
            PA ... 14 races which covers eastern and western part of the state.
            NY ... 7 races.
            FL ... 5 races.
            IN ... 2 races.
            WI ... 2 races ... IRA races.
            IA ... 2 races.
            IL ... 1 race ... Nascar weekend.
            MN ... 1 race.

Total ... 54 races.

Think for the most part it is about right the amount of shows in Ohio vs. other places. Yea, would like to see them hit a few more tracks such as Mansfield and maybe hit another couple of tracks throughout the year more frequently, but they try and keep the same amount of dates each year and more and more places want to see this series and can't blame them for trying to make it bigger, but also want to see it stay the same as well. Don't really like the 2 weekends in NY and think 1 weekend would be enough, but understand it. Also don't really like the Knoxville weekend, but again understand it because of being Knoxville along with the trip to Jackson which is paying a WoO type of purse for the event. Seeing more and more PA tracks on the schedule with both western and eastern part of the state I believe to keep those western PA guys happy and trying to keep them on the tour along with trying to entice some of the eastern PA guys to either run with the All-Stars a lot more or maybe even convince them to try the full tour like Smith has done the last couple of years.

Comment

I miss having the all stars at fremont especially speedweek. I never went to all the speedweek shows but did attica fremont wcs regular.
              I like seeing the all stars at the tracks in Ohio thru the season.
              Also see several drivers continuing with being outlaws and not joining the series for points.
              Really makes it interesting when those drivers show up.
              Regional local Ohio series like OSCS OVSCS did bring different drivers and helped the pay. Not sure if they will be around this year. FAST was only good for Attica and Fremont and was not good to Lakeville, WCS and other Ohio where you used to see those cars show up here and there in the past.
              Now if they become a traveling local series adding in more ohio tracks that could help tracks.
              They would need more organization working with tracks so not a repeat of the Mansfield marathon.
              mansfield and fast should have learned from that.
              The tracks need to survive on their weekly shows to then have big shows.

Comment

Originally posted by ErocWolverine View Post
                The numbers for following the FAST series has went down since they start traveling a lot more so not sure they want to keep doing that because it might turn into what happened to the OSCS series which was basically nothing more than a couple of guys that ran the entire series and actually hurt the sprint car programs at their home tracks as well.
                If you saw my earlier comments the proposed races I suggested would be the same amount of travel but with additional sponsor dollars backing to increase the purses to about $3500-$4000 to win and more through the field, and a point fund that's about 80-90% of ASCoC. You would get the guys who like to travel a bit but not as much as the ASCoC like Philo, Lee Jacobs, and Palker to run the series I imagine. Have 5 weekends be Attica/Fremont, 1 Limaland/Waynesfield, 1 or 2 Mansfield/Wayne Co, 1 Lernerville/Sharon, maybe even 1 Southern weekend to Atomic/Musk Co/Portsmouth? If the events are coupled together more drivers would be likely to follow it as they can stay at a hotel overnight and race in the same area the next day. Yes you'd lose some truly local drivers who already don't go to the few traveling events the FAST series has but they'd still be at all of the Attica Fremont races anyways.

I'm not saying I could be a good promoter, but a series with a small amount of pull that could help promote sprint car racing at the various OH areas would I believe strengthen the region further. It would not be the same real concept as a fast series. But a small regional series like the MOWA or NOSA.

Comment

Good news is for the tracks that put effort into the programs and facilities the past years, they survived for this year and seem to have the crowd to support the all star shows.
                  The tracks that had specials not affiliated with the all stars also seemed to do well.

Comment

Originally posted by RRacer70 View Post
                    Good news is for the tracks that put effort into the programs and facilities the past years, they survived for this year and seem to have the crowd to support the all star shows.
                    The tracks that had specials not affiliated with the all stars also seemed to do well.
                    Agree ... and both can survive doing their own thing, but the problem becomes when they try and compete against each other to make the fans decide one way or the other.

You see tracks in PA upgrading their facilities big-time over there and I just can't understand how are they doing it while in Ohio fans seem to think tracks are struggling to just get by. I see Susky speedway doing some pretty impressive things which their track facilities looked like a major of Ohio's where they are decent, but haven't had many upgrades in a very long time. They have improved the concessions, restrooms, lighting, track, parking, and even the pit areas over the last couple of years to where drivers are now not complaining about that track, but asking them to have more 410 races. Seen the same thing with Port Royal with all the upgrades they have done and making it probably the best PA track right now.

Maybe because I am not in PA and looking from afar, but it seems like some of those tracks at least work together a little bit and aren't competing or making fans choice as much as what happens in Ohio. They also seem to be raising their purses as well because they have seen some of their drivers starting to venture out to other areas and they don't like seeing that at all. That is one reason why they started their own speedweek shows and made them the same time as Ohio's just so drivers wasn't leaving the area for a week. Really think Ohio needs to upgrade facilities at some of their tracks along with raising purses especially at the local level. We saw a lot of western PA guys go on the All-Star tour last year not because they were good or ready to do it, but to at least try and make it work and they was tired of racing for the smaller amount of purse that seemed to be the norm in western PA.

Comment

Yet I'd say from purely a competition standpoint the Ohio Local sprints are in a much better place than PA. Higher car counts and more young talent. There is a few out in PA (Rahmer, Macri, Zearfoss) but overall Seems we have more young talent coming up. In addition to way more cars. As long as a track has bathrooms and a place to put my butt I really don't worry to much how it looks like although it's a nice plus.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Farmer View Post

Farmer

Wayne County has 4 Allstar shows not 3.

Comment

Farmer

Thanks for setting the record straight.

Just as I suspected, EROC doesn't know what he is talking about like usual.

Comment

Originally posted by ErocWolverine View Post

Agree ... and both can survive doing their own thing, but the problem becomes when they try and compete against each other to make the fans decide one way or the other.

You see tracks in PA upgrading their facilities big-time over there and I just can't understand how are they doing it while in Ohio fans seem to think tracks are struggling to just get by. I see Susky speedway doing some pretty impressive things which their track facilities looked like a major of Ohio's where they are decent, but haven't had many upgrades in a very long time. They have improved the concessions, restrooms, lighting, track, parking, and even the pit areas over the last couple of years to where drivers are now not complaining about that track, but asking them to have more 410 races. Seen the same thing with Port Royal with all the upgrades they have done and making it probably the best PA track right now.

Maybe because I am not in PA and looking from afar, but it seems like some of those tracks at least work together a little bit and aren't competing or making fans choice as much as what happens in Ohio. They also seem to be raising their purses as well because they have seen some of their drivers starting to venture out to other areas and they don't like seeing that at all. That is one reason why they started their own speedweek shows and made them the same time as Ohio's just so drivers wasn't leaving the area for a week. Really think Ohio needs to upgrade facilities at some of their tracks along with raising purses especially at the local level. We saw a lot of western PA guys go on the All-Star tour last year not because they were good or ready to do it, but to at least try and make it work and they was tired of racing for the smaller amount of purse that seemed to be the norm in western PA.
                            When Larry Kemp was at Eldora and before the series was purchased tracks worked very close together and all got along just fine. We supported one another on weekends and scheduling. The truth is that a book could be written on the inner politics of this stuff. Eroc I appreciate your thoughts however you have no clue how this program works today or how it worked in the past. There is so much potential in Ohio racing that is being held back. Today there is more cars than in a long time we have had weekends where there was 100 winged 410 racing in Ohio we have the healthiest 410 count in the country and if people would be willing to work for the betterment of the sport and not all about the money then the sport would grow even more. Teams and fans would really benefit which would also allow the tracks to benefit. I have done this long enough to see how good it can be. I have sat in Ohio promoters meetings where some great things happened for fans and teams alike sad we have lost that as some feel it is fun to turn good people against others.

Comment

All great points Rich but it is still the 2nd best thing going. Until the cars and fans stop supporting the series or a better series comes along, nothing will change.

The OSCS should merge with FAST, have a north and a south points fund, and tie in joint races like was done last year for bigger shows.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay72c View Post
                                All great points Rich but it is still the 2nd best thing going. Until the cars and fans stop supporting the series or a better series comes along, nothing will change.

The OSCS should merge with FAST, have a north and a south points fund, and tie in joint races like was done last year for bigger shows.
                                It would be hard to have a separate north and south fund if that were to happen. Currently the FAST Series is to help support the weekly racer that now and then can go to a new place on an off weekend it is not set up to compete with a traveling series.

I will agree that solely based on purse and points fund that the ASCoC have the second best paying deal. As a car owner I doubt that it has the second best earning deal come season end. Cost alot of money to run up and down the road. Many of these teams go to some pretty stout places with some very stout weekly cars. With the teams having limited time at some of these tracks it is hard to get the speed needed to run well enough to make the money needed to cover the cost. I hope that the ASCoC have a great future even if they don't race at my place. I stood by the brand because the history means so much to sprint car racing in our area. People have different thoughts, views, and opinions that is what makes everyone who they are I am just glad that when Tony shared his thoughts to NASCAR they didn't send him packing from their series, because the racing world would have missed out of watching a great talent behind the wheel.

Comment

Working...
                                X