Hilltop in Millersburg,OH moving to Friday nights

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hilltop in Millersburg,OH moving to Friday nights

Just seen on facebook Hilltop is moving to Friday nights for the 2018 season. Should boost car counts in the latemodel, street stock,and mini stock divisions for them and WCS both. Its a good move but only thing that sounds sketchy is running at least 6 divisions on a Friday. Especially street stock,modifieds,trucks, and mini stock divisions that are known for multiple cautions and features that can drag on. Rumored to be $2,000 or 2500 to win every Friday night for the latemodels. The attica/wcs series will most likely will be over since the main cars that followed it were the wcs cars. If they pay that weekly purse then id bet Matt Irey, Doug Drown, Charlie Duncan, Larry Bellman,Dave Hornikel, and maybe even Ryan Markham will run Hilltop over Attica.Be an interesting 2018.

I'm glad to see that Hilltop is moving to Fridays. That should really boost the car counts between both hilltop and WCS especially in the stocks. I've never looked into it but are the rules comparable enough to where the stocks wouldn't have to make significant alterations to race at each track? I know stocks vary quite a bit dependent on the individual track.

Comment

Just read Hilltop FB
      Looks like 7 classes of
      late models
      modifieds
      mod lites
      Street stock
      mini stocks
      trucks
      mini wedges kids and they had 2 classes of them.
      This is way too many classes of cars for any given night.
      This is why I quit going there plus no sprints.
      Looks like they are working on improvements of the facility.
      See they are using WCS rules for mini stocks. WCS had a very full count of mini last year.
      WCS also ran the super stocks so dont know how much that will differ from Hilltop.
      I would think it woild be a plus for Hilltop to run WCS rules for the same divisions.

Comment

seven classes! maybe they are moving to friday nites so they can finish up by saterday nite.

Comment

I think part of the reason for the number of classes is they don't get as many in each class as places like Attica, WCS, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by GTigers55 View Post
            I think part of the reason for the number of classes is they don't get as many in each class as places like Attica, WCS, etc.
            They used to out car count wcs in the shared divisions up to last year. the mini stocks used to all be a hilltop but the v-tech motor issue ruined hilltop and the mini stocks stayed at wcs. street stocks are similar enough in the rules since many have went back and forth over the past few seasons. I can easily see high car counts at hilltop next year in all divisions. They might pull 25 or more latemodels every week depending on what tracks run down south and if hilltop pays them 2500 to win weekly like its been rumored. Im not sure how many shows midway is going to run this upcoming season and what days they will run.

Comment

Originally posted by GTigers55 View Post
              Maybe if they cut some of their classes they would get more cars in the other divisions from those drivers moving to a different class.

Comment

I compiled a chart from all of their races last year. Many of the classes only bring enough cars for one or two heat races and I really feel like if you just consolidated some of the beginning classes you'd have better luck. I really don't personally view Wedges as part of the "Main course" of the event but moreso a safer version of Go-Karts for kids to learn on IMO. I have nothing against running lots of classes so long as you run an efficient show. But I think it's visible that they could run 4 classes + Mini Wedges and probably have guys either move up or down or parallel to other divisions. Without the competition between WCS and Hilltop I fully expect the Late Model, Compacts, and Street stocks to have more cars this year. Like I said, Good move on their part. I really think the owner could save some money by dumping the trucks just doesn't seem like the support is there. However, how similar are Fremont and Hilltops rules there? Long drive but some people in between the two tracks might run both tracks if time allows or for big events. I know a lot of the truck drivers at Fremont are from Fremont so doubtful they would come but just wishful thinking. My girlfriend has a camper down in Loudonville about 20 minutes from Millersburg so maybe if we head there for a vacation I'll check Hilltop out. If you see my note above the table you'll see Buck (the promoter/owner?) sort of tested the waters on his two day show last year.

*June 3rd and July 15th specials were Ohio Thunder Racesaver 305 Sprints, September 15th special was WAYNE COUNTY MINI STOCKS ON A FRIDAY
                Race ............Date Late Model Modifieds Strt Stock ModLites Trucks Compacts Wedges Specials Total
                1 24-Mar 10 8 7 7 6 14 .................... ..................... 52
                2 15-Apr 21 12 15 12 12 19 10 ..................... 101
                3 22-Apr 23 15 8 6 ..................... 9 ..................... ..................... 61
                4 13-May 23 15 13 10 17 11 11 ..................... 100
                5 3-Jun 22 17 10 ..................... 11 15 12 11 87
                6 10-Jun 20 18 8 8 9 13 .................... ..................... 76
                7 18-Jun 20 10 10 11 9 14 11 .................... 85
                8 24-Jun 21 16 8 20 12 16 .................... ..................... 93
                9 8-Jul 19 17 8 16 11 12 9 .................... 92
                10 15-Jul 19 15 10 12 9 .................... ..................... 9 65
                11 ???? 20 13 15 11 14 14 11 .................... 98
                12 19-Aug 23 17 12 15 12 15 13 .................... 107
                13 15-Sep .................... ..................... ..................... ..................... 13 20 11 21 44
                14 16-Sep 24 13 22 27 12 21 ..................... ..................... 119
                AVERAGE: 20.38462 14.30769 11.23077 12.91667 11.30769 14.84615 11 13.66667 95.99359
                Last edited by GTigers55; 2 weeks ago.

Comment

Won't hurt Attica much. People run Attica b/c the show is efficient and the track is always smooth.

Comment

Also a pretty solid points fund

Comment

Fremont/ Attica trucks have the big motors while Hilltop Trucks are 4 and 6 cylinders engines.

Comment

Originally posted by Amish Mafia View Post
                        seven classes! maybe they are moving to friday nites so they can finish up by saterday nite.
                        I was just thinking the same thing, Amish!
                        ~~ Connect with me on LinkedIn ~~
                        http://www.linkedin.com/in/bryanautullo

Comment

Originally posted by Jay72c View Post
                          Won't hurt Attica much. People run Attica b/c the show is efficient and the track is always smooth.
                          Will be interesting though especially if Hilltop does start running for $2,500 to win which is more than double of the to win prize at Attica with $1,200 to win for their late models. Attics does get a few of Wayne County guys so they might decide to go to Hilltop and then Attica has a couple of teams from the Mansfield area that might venture to Hilltop as well. With a field of around 20 most night give or take a few more or few less ... every car counts for this division at Attica to survive and try and get bigger and better.

Maybe healthy competition on Friday nights for the late model division will force Attica to make some changes or raise their purses. Really think Attica needs to increase not only the to win prize for the late models, but the entire purse for them. Think they have a good purse for the sprint cars, but feel they could raise the purse for the late models to try and get more cars along with trying to get other teams to either move up into the late model division or come around a lot more. The same could be said about the 305 division as well, but again I am not paying the purse so to speak, but in a way I help pay it whenever I buy my ticket every-time I venture to Attica. So hopefully car counts keep rising, the crowds keep pouring into Attica, and the racing continues to be strong on Friday nights.

Overall I believe to many tracks have way to many divisions and way to many different classes to help support their track. I understand it, but when your having all these different classes it spreads the divisions thin and likely your not gaining new teams/drivers/fans, but just making the classes smaller and smaller in those areas with basically the same type of purse or to win prize for these beginner or lower priced divisions.

My dream at Attica ...

Would like to see the 410's stay or move up once in awhile from the 3,000 to win to maybe even 3,500-4,000 for special local shows which means increasing the total purse through the field as well.
                          Would like to see the late models move up to 2,000-2,500 to win which means increasing the total purse through the field as well.
                          Would like to see the 305's move up to 1,200-1,500 to win which means increasing the total purse through the field as well.
                          Would like to see the dirt trucks basically done away with at Attica to be honest and I know some don't like that take, but it is mine.

Comment

If Hilltop would drop down to 4 divisions, I would go watch a late model show.

Comment

Would people agree that a Late Model, Modified, Stock, Compacts, and occasional wedges would be a reasonable class schedule there?

Comment

Working...
                              X