OSCS Terminated

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OSCS Terminated

Per press release the OSCS is no more. Most of us thought this was the right move and frankly not surprised. Cole Duncan won in 2016 and Danny Smith in 2017 as the only two champions of the OSCS.The full press release can be seen below.

Ohio Sprint Car Series terminated; McCown turns all focus toward Atomic Speedway

By Fully Injected Motorsports

CHILLICOTHE, OH (12/3/2017) – With time for proper promotion at risk, Ohio Sprint Car Series promoter, Brad McCown, has decided to terminate the Ohio-based sprint car series before the beginning of the 2018 season. McCown, also the promoter of Atomic Speedway near Chillicothe, will now aim all of his focus toward the Atomic high banks, preparing for what could be a record season in 2018.

“The bottom line is I don’t have enough time to do everything,” Brad McCown stated, who also recently sold Buckeye Late Model Dirt Week. “It was a tough decision, but with such a heavy schedule at Atomic [Speedway], I wanted to put as much focus as possible on the track. The Ohio Sprint Car Series was a great thing for Ohio sprint car fans and teams. We had a lot of great partners and officials who helped keep things going up and down the road. I don’t want to risk both, so one had to go. I’m ready for big things at Atomic Speedway in 2018.”

Atomic Speedway is boasting a 2018 schedule that includes 41 separate programs, 25 of which featuring 410ci sprint cars. The southern Ohio venue will welcome the Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series during the upcoming season, as well as the Arctic Cat All Star Circuit of Champions and the World of Outlaws Craftsman Late Model Series.

“I want to thank everyone who has supported the Ohio Sprint Car Series in one way or another during its existence,” McCown continued. “I want to thank Sherry Myers and Bob Chaney for keeping the Series in check during the 2017 season. I also want to thank Bruce Hines for taking care of all of our race night announcing, and Jack Hewitt for being our race director in 2016.”

“I would love for the opportunity to bring the Series back in the future, but for now all of my attention is on Atomic Speedway.”

Those seeking additional news and notes regarding Atomic Speedway should visit the facility live on the Web at www.atomicspeedway.net.

Bottom line is he sent the sprints to wcs every other week and now his track isn't making any money so its time to bring them back and schedule them as much as possible to make up for the oscs mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by mudinmybeer View Post
      Bottom line is he sent the sprints to wcs every other week and now his track isn't making any money so its time to bring them back and schedule them as much as possible to make up for the oscs mistake.
      Agree ... Think this is actually a good day for 410 racing in Ohio. Always thought having to many local series actually hurts the state and tries to force guys where to race. Think he thought the fans would come to Atomic no matter if the richer purse 410's were there or not.

Also that decision hurt the 410 racing in southern Ohio forcing those teams who are more local type of teams to do a lot of traveling instead of staying in the south most of the year. Yea it is good for those type of teams to do a little traveling if they want, but don't force local teams to travel 2-4 hours for the same pay as you would at your own track.

Comment

That's why only 2 teams consistently followed them. Most of the Southern OH and WV guys just raced the OVSCA when in area and then the OSCS when they were in the South and WCS. I cannot blame Brad for trying the OSCS as it's always worth a try. I respect that he wasn't bullheaded and folded the series before the damage to Atomic was Irreparable. Back to OVSCA as the sole sanctioning body of the south. Wonder if they'll sanction any at Atomic this year even though they're not listed.

Comment

When mentioning OSCS hurt the state, that is what I always thought about FAST. Those guys quit traveling and were in the fast trap. I liked OSCS as they were well organized and no unnecessary delays and an option for those who did not run fast.

Comment

Wayne County just needs to pay a little better purse and they would get a few more cars, There are a few more 410 drivers coming to 410's and they might travel from the North West to WCS if the purse was just a little better, I would even consider coming back too!

Comment

Originally posted by dogfighter73 View Post
              Wayne County just needs to pay a little better purse and they would get a few more cars, There are a few more 410 drivers coming to 410's and they might travel from the North West to WCS if the purse was just a little better, I would even consider coming back too!
              What purse would you like to see?

Comment

A lot of local teams race where they race because they like the track or it is close to home. Purse has a little bit to do with it but not as much as you think.

Comment

I would like to see the purse increase in the back for the sprints. From 4th on needs a large increase. First is not high compared to others but I would leave it for now. Even if it is only $50 more a position would be a huge help.
                  The late models also need an all over increase for their purse.
                  I know they improve each year so hopefully it will happen this year even if it is a small increase.

Comment

Any idea who bought Buckeye Late Model Dirt Week?

Comment

Robbie Cyrus from Beckley WV.
                      He also has a new late model touring group in 2018 to cover Ohio and WV.

Comment

Originally posted by RRacer70 View Post
                        Yeah saw that a lot of the dates the announced weren't confirmed with the tracks. I don't know how much truth their is to that but if so that's really odd. Referring to the Buckeye Dirt week not the series itself.

Comment

Originally posted by RRacer70 View Post
                          Thanks. I thought this was a great idea and I hope they can continue to grow the LM's with a solid week of racing in 2018.

Comment

Working...
                          X