Fremont Schedule Released

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fremont Schedule Released

It's on Facebook. I'm looking forward to 2018 at Fremont, especially the Open Wheel Shootout on June 30. An all open wheel event is a rare treat. The Ethanol Latemodel Series back to back with Attica is going to be a great weekend. I enjoyed the ALMS race at Fremont last season. This race could be even better.

They had another all open wheel night with the 410s, BOSS and NRA 360vsFAST 305 challenge. I’m gonna try and be there for that for sure

Comment

I never made it to Fremont last year.
      i know what the car counts were from reading results.
      Were the grandstands filled last year?
      I have heard various answers lots being the crowds were down.
      Just wondeted if they were doing different things to bring more fans in. Especially with fairboard being back on board.

Comment

Attendance was not very good. Looks to have declined over the years, which is true of many tracks, so not unique to Fremont. To accurately estimate attendance, you can’t sit in the stands and look back and forth. You have to be directly across ( heads on view ), know what the capacity is, and then go from there without bias. They do things for the kids, but need more novel approaches to being live bodies in now. The Sandusky County Agricultural Society will be in for some financial surprises. Been a regular there for decades, so I keep my fingers crossed.

Comment

I'd say down, but not drastically. Definitely not standing room only but far from dead

Comment

I saw they did not have as many races on the schefule so just wondered.

Comment

Originally posted by RRacer70 View Post
              I never made it to Fremont last year.
              i know what the car counts were from reading results.
              Were the grandstands filled last year?
              I have heard various answers lots being the crowds were down.
              Just wondeted if they were doing different things to bring more fans in. Especially with fairboard being back on board.
              Last season is over. How big will the crowds be this season? Go to a race and find out. Or you could go to the tractor pull. That's a way to get new people to Fremont Speedway who might come back to see if they like sprint car racing. There really isn't a good way to get young people interested in racing. Car culture has skipped two generations. Tractor culture is worth a try.

Comment

Actually attended a lot of races at Fremont previously and it was always packed. Snarky attack for just asking question. Now these days with work limiting my travel, I support tracks within one hour drive with a few longer trips. Did around 30+ this year and saw one track shrinking in attendance. Used to do 3 nights weekly from Ohio, PA and WV. Fremont is over 2 hours away. Fremont usually never had crowd problems of filling the stands when other tracks did. I take new people every year and several make return trips. Taking 4 to 6 people several times. Even got one of my newbies interested enough they sponsored an event. Lots of tracks adding in tractor pulls to get something new. Just saw Fremont had less races scheduled this year which surprised me. Though seeing they dont race against Mansfield's shows this year makes their race count go down. Several tracks shuttered business last year from lack of fans.
                I anticipate crowds will be bigger this year at well run tracks as racing seems to be getting more public interest again. Hopefully good publicity will help regrow some fan attendance. Have already been checking racing schedules against work schedule to see what works. So looks like 40 races possible so I do get out and see.

Comment

People don't like to hear this because they believe you should go to the track no matter what, BUT ...

Most people go to a event because it is a big event or it is something they like along with the product you put on the track matters to most fans.When you have local type events your only going to get local type support. You bring in the WoO's your likely going to get a lot bigger support and fans traveling further to come see them especially with not many events of theirs in the area. The same with the All-Stars where you get more support outside of the local area.

Look at the Indians for example ... when they was really good (mid 90's-early 2000's) they was packed, sold out, hard to get a seat. The last 15 years a lot easier to get a seat compared to back then, but they have improved the past couple of years and fans are coming back to see them. No different than the Detroit Red Wings when they was king of the ice they had sold out arenas, place was buzzing, etc...

Comment

A personal attack was not my intention, so let's try a little humor. Nobody goes to Fremont anymore. It's too crowded. Gotta give credit to the great Yogi Berra for that quote.

Comment

I actually heard some one say that.....
                      They decided they are going to do ppv instead of fighting a crowd at some events...

Comment

Originally posted by RRacer70 View Post
                        I actually heard some one say that.....
                        They decided they are going to do ppv instead of fighting a crowd at some events...
                        Nothing will ever beat going to the races in person though. I remember towards the end of 2016 I was gonna go see the four crown with a buddy from college but on Friday he backed out. Talked to my dad about him driving over to Eldora and he didn't want to drive that far without staying the night (2 hr 15 from back home). So he told me just to come home that weekend and we'd buy the PPV. When I got back that Friday I realized that Wayne County had the Dirt Blowout with OVSCA, Late Models, Stocks, and Compacts. I told my dad we should just go to that instead of watching a PPV. I guarantee you I had much more fun that night at WCS than I would've watching the race on TV.

Got to see a lot of different drivers with the OVSCA guys coming up (Dickson, Skaggs, Fink, etc.) and a few guys from western PA had came over that I hadn't got to see before. I have some awesome memories from that race. One was two western PA drivers Wagner and McEwan racing down the backstretch and Wagner pinching McEwan to where he caught air off of the wall on backstretch and got the car stuck in the catch fence. Then McEwan going over and giving Wagner a few words on the frontstretch. Then later on in the event Shawn hubler and Jason Dolick were racing side by side in 3 and 4 and Dolick spun after touching tires. The flagman in turns 3-4 ruled that Hubler was overdriving and would be credited with the caution and was sent to the back. Hubler slid in front of the flagstand and parked it in front preventing the race from restarting and went over to call out the guy in turns 3-4. Was one of my favorite races I've been too and something you would not get to experience on PPV.

Comment

The turn 4 fence had just recently been enlarged. You don't see a car stuck so high on a catch fence very often. One advantage of PPV is the ability to replay stuff like that. As I recall the incident occurred in the first heat race of the event. Chuck Griffith, who has 50 years of racing stories to tell, did his best to fill the down time. A friend's son rode my bike to Subway and was back with sandwiches before racing resumed. He might have exceeded the speed limit on US 30.

Comment

Originally posted by racemak View Post
                            The turn 4 fence had just recently been enlarged. You don't see a car stuck so high on a catch fence very often. One advantage of PPV is the ability to replay stuff like that. As I recall the incident occurred in the first heat race of the event. Chuck Griffith, who has 50 years of racing stories to tell, did his best to fill the down time. A friend's son rode my bike to Subway and was back with sandwiches before racing resumed. He might have exceeded the speed limit on US 30.
                            I happened to be watching the battle between those two when that happened. That was a long break for sure but was crazy to see that. Glad the fence was that high or that could've been a lot worse.

Comment

I remember that night. They were having trick or treat for the kids so during the time that the fence was being repaired they opened the pits for everyone. My daughter and I had a blast talking to drivers and trick or treating. If I'm remembering correctly the late model feature was a good one too as Robbie Scott from Shinnston, WV put on a good show battling Ryan Markham and JR Gentry.

Comment

Working...
                              X