All Stars 4/6 & 4/7

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All Stars 4/6 & 4/7

Weekend weather looks terrible. Snow and rain in the forecast, highs of 43° and 37°. Still time for that to change but not getting my hopes up.

ASCoC opener @ the grove... just doesn't seem right.

I goofed and made a reply under the Atomic thread. Brief summary : The rain / snow showers is Fri., while Sat. is 43 and sunny and Sunday 49 and sunny. With advanced notice, would an early evening Sunday rain date work ? 1st race 6 PM , and done by 9 pm ?

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy99 View Post
      I goofed and made a reply under the Atomic thread. Brief summary : The rain / snow showers is Fri., while Sat. is 43 and sunny and Sunday 49 and sunny. With advanced notice, would an early evening Sunday rain date work ? 1st race 6 PM , and done by 9 pm ?
      I wish they would hotlap at 1pm saturday. Apparently they have a rain date scheduled April 20th for the ASCoC show.

Comment

Originally posted by SAF92 View Post

I wish they would hotlap at 1pm saturday. Apparently they have a rain date scheduled April 20th for the ASCoC show.
        If needed they do

Comment

I've been telling my 2yr old son the past couple of weeks that we are going to races this Saturday. When I got home today from work I told him we may not be able to go because it might be too cold.

To which he exclaimed back "NOOOOOOOOO!!!" Then ran out of the room. When he came back he had his winter coat, blanket, gloves, and boots. He's been itching to go since October. If they run it and it's dry I'm certain we will be there. I am not fighting the determination of a 2yr old

Comment

Originally posted by Sprint14 View Post
            I've been telling my 2yr old son the past couple of weeks that we are going to races this Saturday. When I got home today from work I told him we may not be able to go because it might be too cold.

To which he exclaimed back "NOOOOOOOOO!!!" Then ran out of the room. When he came back he had his winter coat, blanket, gloves, and boots. He's been itching to go since October. If they run it and it's dry I'm certain we will be there. I am not fighting the determination of a 2yr old
            That kid is me pretty much every weekend and I love it.
            2018 Race Counter: 18
            Atomic (1), Attica (5), Mansfield (3), Wayne Co. (2), Fremont (2), Montpelier (1), Eldora (1), Waynesfield (1), Kokomo (1), Limaland (1)

Comment

Better prepare him for a drive to track warmer & drier cause Attica looks like a big fat negative currently

Comment

Well with flood warnings out now, 5 inches snow yesterday and raining very steady now, does not look good.
                The next 10 days forecast is not encouraging for racing.
                Around here the flowers are not making much of an appearance nor has the grass been growing. Everything still brown so that is some signs of our weather.
                Just not seeing those signs of spring yet

Comment

I looked into going to Montpelier as a backup yesterday and they had already cancelled.
                  Atomic (1), Attica (5), Mansfield (3), Wayne Co. (2), Fremont (2), Montpelier (1), Eldora (1), Waynesfield (1), Kokomo (1), Limaland (1)

Comment

Friday forecast at Atomic looking way better than either day at Attica. Might have to make my first trip down there.

Comment

Friday forecast at Atomic looking way better than either day at Attica. Might have to make my first trip down there.
                      It’s a good track. Hot laps usually take a bit there but it’s a fun time.

Comment

Originally posted by GTigers55 View Post

It’s a good track. Hot laps usually take a bit there but it’s a fun time.
                        Why's that? I saw compacts are on the program... Not exactly thrilled about that on a night which will mostly likely get close to freezing temps shortly after the sun goes down.

Comment

Why's that? I saw compacts are on the program... Not exactly thrilled about that on a night which will mostly likely get close to freezing temps shortly after the sun goes down.
                          With three classes it should be fine. If nothing changes from their weekly program, they will group qualify the modifieds and compacts. Hot laps were slated for 4 and started ~4:20 and ran like all star format for sprints by hot lap and single car qualification (Random draw gave an invert of 4 too just like all star). Each of the 3 other divisions on the card on opening night qualified in groups of 3-4 cars. No hot laps for them. A total of about 90 cars (20 sprints, 19 LM, 25 Mod, 24 Sport Mod) just took a little bit to run their quali/hot lap sessions is all. First feature was Late Models and done at 7:58, Green waved on sprints at 8:15 and finished at 8:42. A few cars wanted a cone put in front of turn 3 entrance as the bottom was saturated and they apparently couldn't see where the surface ended and the puddles of mud began. The final checkered was 9:30 after the modifeids and sport mods ran their races. Each feature was 20 laps and featured an average amount of cautions.

I would expect approx 45 cars between the mods and compacts this weekend if they race. From youtube videos, the compacts actually put on a pretty good show there. It's just a racy track makes all divisions have some good races in my experience.

When I went there for the All Star Speedweek Show last year the sprint feature ended at 12:28 Am with 4 classes on the card and 50+ Sprints. The sprints were the second feature ran, after the sport mods. I believe there was some heavy rain there before the races and later they oversaturated when they did track prep and had to wait a bit for it to settle out. I don't believe they ran group qualifying that night for the supports.

All in all, I'd say it'll be a good race to see. Don't be surprised if either the mods or compacts run their feature prior to the all stars since at least one of the divisions will likely not have a b main. Expect a break for track work after quali and then they'll shoot straight through from there. Car count of sprints will certainly impact the time it takes for hot laps and qualifying to settle down. They sell High Octane Coffee for $1.50 a cup and $1 for refills to keep you warm. Concessions are fair priced and they had a hot lap happy hour for $1.50 coors light and $2 hamburgers last saturday. I would bring some blankets and heavy jackets for this weekend though regardless of where you go to see a race if you do.

I will be at Attica saturday if they run the race, bundled up and freezing likely but I'll be there if they can get it in.

Comment

I only like to see 1 support class with the all stars at this time of year. The track is a 3 hour drive for me, so in this weather no Atomic.

Comment

Here’s a novel idea : Drop time trials of any type for all support divisions and start on time and finish before the eleven o’clock News. They’re on their 4th promoter in 15 years and the one thing that has been consistent has been late nights. I used to go there several times per year but ceased about 2010. Used to get home to northern Ohio at 3.30 to 4.30 A.M. Too old for that now.

Comment

Working...
                              X