X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SAF92
    started a topic All Stars 4/6 & 4/7

All Stars 4/6 & 4/7

Weekend weather looks terrible. Snow and rain in the forecast, highs of 43° and 37°. Still time for that to change but not getting my hopes up.

ASCoC opener @ the grove... just doesn't seem right.

• Sprint14
    replied
    Son of a ....., Why the ....., How the ...., Mother......, Sigh. Mother nature is a you know what. Feel bad for everyone the tracks, drivers, and fans. Looks like I probably won't be able to go see anything till Eldora's let's race 2 weekend. Was hoping the unpredictable Ohio weather would break in everyone's favor but it doesn't appear so. Sorry to you farmers but here's to hoping for a dry summer if we even get one

Leave a comment:

• Muddy99
    replied
    With the weather getting more erratic by the year , one wonders it it will be 75-80 degrees in October, like it was last Fall, at which time all the tracks were closed.

Leave a comment:

• GTigers55
    replied
    All stars have cancelled the atomic event and postponed Attica to April 20th.

Leave a comment:

• Jim11h
    replied
    Heard from friend down near Waverley and he said they got pounded. He said they'll be lucky to get into fields by mid may at this rate, but you know how farmers like to be lil over dramatic

Leave a comment:

• GTigers55
    replied
    Originally posted by racemak View Post
    I hope I'm wrong, and hate to be so negative, but there won't be any racing in Ohio this weekend. Maybe next weekend will be better. Back to back ARP and Fremont opening nights. That would be great.
    I agree it's probably all gonna get froze out even if there is no rain rest of week. I'm cautiously optimistic that it will randomly get warm this weekend. This is ohio after all.

Leave a comment:

• racemak
    replied
    I hope I'm wrong, and hate to be so negative, but there won't be any racing in Ohio this weekend. Maybe next weekend will be better. Back to back ARP and Fremont opening nights. That would be great.

Leave a comment:

• RRacer70
    replied
    At this rate of weather many tracks might end up opening last week of April.

Leave a comment:

• Jim11h
    replied
    I'm thinking Attica & Fremont open the same weekend by future cast

Leave a comment:

• Motorhead
    replied
    Originally posted by Food For Thought View Post
    Here’s a novel idea : Drop time trials of any type for all support divisions and start on time and finish before the eleven o’clock News. They’re on their 4th promoter in 15 years and the one thing that has been consistent has been late nights. I used to go there several times per year but ceased about 2010. Used to get home to northern Ohio at 3.30 to 4.30 A.M. Too old for that now.
    When I first started racing there in the mid 80's it was a very well run show. Actually we'd get home quicker from atomic (KC) with a 2 hr drive than we would from the burg with a 40 min drive. I would jokingly say that I could drive the car to the payoff window after pulling off the track. Typically we'd be paid before we got everything loaded.

Leave a comment:

• Food For Thought
    replied
    Here’s a novel idea : Drop time trials of any type for all support divisions and start on time and finish before the eleven o’clock News. They’re on their 4th promoter in 15 years and the one thing that has been consistent has been late nights. I used to go there several times per year but ceased about 2010. Used to get home to northern Ohio at 3.30 to 4.30 A.M. Too old for that now.

Leave a comment:

• RRacer70
    replied
    I only like to see 1 support class with the all stars at this time of year. The track is a 3 hour drive for me, so in this weather no Atomic.

Leave a comment:

• GTigers55
    replied
    Originally posted by SAF92 View Post

Why's that? I saw compacts are on the program... Not exactly thrilled about that on a night which will mostly likely get close to freezing temps shortly after the sun goes down.
    With three classes it should be fine. If nothing changes from their weekly program, they will group qualify the modifieds and compacts. Hot laps were slated for 4 and started ~4:20 and ran like all star format for sprints by hot lap and single car qualification (Random draw gave an invert of 4 too just like all star). Each of the 3 other divisions on the card on opening night qualified in groups of 3-4 cars. No hot laps for them. A total of about 90 cars (20 sprints, 19 LM, 25 Mod, 24 Sport Mod) just took a little bit to run their quali/hot lap sessions is all. First feature was Late Models and done at 7:58, Green waved on sprints at 8:15 and finished at 8:42. A few cars wanted a cone put in front of turn 3 entrance as the bottom was saturated and they apparently couldn't see where the surface ended and the puddles of mud began. The final checkered was 9:30 after the modifeids and sport mods ran their races. Each feature was 20 laps and featured an average amount of cautions.

I would expect approx 45 cars between the mods and compacts this weekend if they race. From youtube videos, the compacts actually put on a pretty good show there. It's just a racy track makes all divisions have some good races in my experience.

When I went there for the All Star Speedweek Show last year the sprint feature ended at 12:28 Am with 4 classes on the card and 50+ Sprints. The sprints were the second feature ran, after the sport mods. I believe there was some heavy rain there before the races and later they oversaturated when they did track prep and had to wait a bit for it to settle out. I don't believe they ran group qualifying that night for the supports.

All in all, I'd say it'll be a good race to see. Don't be surprised if either the mods or compacts run their feature prior to the all stars since at least one of the divisions will likely not have a b main. Expect a break for track work after quali and then they'll shoot straight through from there. Car count of sprints will certainly impact the time it takes for hot laps and qualifying to settle down. They sell High Octane Coffee for $1.50 a cup and $1 for refills to keep you warm. Concessions are fair priced and they had a hot lap happy hour for $1.50 coors light and $2 hamburgers last saturday. I would bring some blankets and heavy jackets for this weekend though regardless of where you go to see a race if you do.

I will be at Attica saturday if they run the race, bundled up and freezing likely but I'll be there if they can get it in.

Leave a comment:

• SAF92
    replied
    Originally posted by GTigers55 View Post

It’s a good track. Hot laps usually take a bit there but it’s a fun time.
    Why's that? I saw compacts are on the program... Not exactly thrilled about that on a night which will mostly likely get close to freezing temps shortly after the sun goes down.

Leave a comment:

• GTigers55
    replied
    Originally posted by SAF92 View Post
    Friday forecast at Atomic looking way better than either day at Attica. Might have to make my first trip down there.
    It’s a good track. Hot laps usually take a bit there but it’s a fun time.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X