Rate the race - mansfield night 1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rate the race - mansfield night 1

Now that Night 1 is over, how did those who attended rate the night ?. I was not there, so very interested in everyone’s opinion.

I wasn’t there either, but periodically followed Mike Leone commentary on Twitter. Was surprised there was tire wear in the 2nd Main, considering it rained earlier. Noticed on Race Monitor there were 13 no shows, but still very large field of 72. Seems like there was good passing ( advancing ).

Comment

It was cold ,long ,and dusty.Looks like #49 is the one to beat.Great field of cars,Rico blew 2 tires in his feature race.I hope Cody gets some one to run grader as he did a piss poor job.He did try but felt some one with experience would have quickened the job.

Comment

2 1/2 hour delay due to rain.
        They were on schedule before the storm.
        Ticket lines moved well in the pits.
        They did everything they could to get track ready.
        Time trials thank goodness were done 2 at a time and went very well.
        8 heat races which were not too exciting to me, not cause of wrecks but not the passing I am used to.
        B mains were organized quickly.
        Sammy Swindell had a fast car but something happened to him in heats. He and several others no show for B mains. I was wanting to see him run since it had been years since i had watched him.
        Lee Jacobs 81 was running a great race leading it but right rear blew and launched him into the wall ending his weekend. I wanted to see him in feature as he was making the car look great around the track.
        No wasted time for features 2 of them.
        Another sad run for Rob Chaney in the 83 as he lost a tire leading the feature which had some good close racing.
        The features were good, passing going on, racing for position.
        Track was rough wearing tires. Rico lost 2 tires.
        Yes they had some issues with the tow trucks and push trucks as they seemed a little not so efficient. Especially during the beginning.
        I couldnt always hear the announcer cause I had to keep taking work calls so I know I wasnt watching the heats so much.
        The A mains were well done.
        No major wrecks or flips. There was not a lot of delays from cautions.
        Program was well run. Lots of improvements in organizing.
        Lack of concessions in pits. Never went to grandstand concession. No idea of lines.
        Many people got up and left at various times so the stands had lots of empty places. I dont think they got the crowd they wanted with the weather. It was very very cold. If you go, take lots of warm clothes and hats and gloves. The wind was very sharp.
        If there had been no storm dumping on track at starting time, I believe show would have been over around 11:30 to midnight.
        Cody and Jacob really stepped up the program. You could see many improvements.
        Myself I would have cut the B mains down to 10 laps and the features to 25 cause of weather. The track is big and you still would have got lots of race time with cutting laps.
        They will need a fuel stop tonight as a few ran out of fuel.

Comment

I thought dust control was much better than races last year. Not sure how much clay is on track.

Comment

Thanks RRacer70. Very thorough report.

Comment

Gonna be cold but hope people come out and support this event.We all piss and moan about different things but I very much appreciate that some one put on an event like this in Ohio.72 cars from various states make this a big deal .Come on fans help make this an annual event.

Comment

Team Hat: It was not tire "wear" there was something in the track cutting tires, think like 12 or 13 of them in total. LR was going down even before Haud caution... RR was blistered but wasn't worn down. Really sucks, I thought we had them covered and that is the best the car has looked from a handling perspective in a very long time. Also, the running out of fuel thing is somewhat understandable, but someone should have been counting the laps to get a figure now. Think we barely would have made it tbh, but the cold didn't help, everyone had their fueling rich to not burn the engines down. 50 laps is a lot of laps, but we got a long way to go to get into the dance. We run that good though we should have a shot of making it.

Fan Hat: They did an admirable job really considering the circumstances. I would have seriously bet against them having the track in that good of shape that quickly. I do wish the format was somewhat known beforehand.

Comment

Between turns 3 and 4 there was one bad rut towards the top and coming out of the bottom of 4 was a weird set of ruts from the water puddling up there. I think that was some of the cause of tire failure at that end of the track.

Comment

Lots of informative posts so far. Thanks to Holbrook 83 for their insight.... Where’s our “ GTigers “ commentary today ?....

Comment

My dad and I were at Mansfield until 12:45 when Lee Jacobs wrecked in the first B Main. We both wanted to stay, but had to leave for my graduation today at 6:30 AM to be down at Wright State.

So first thing we noticed, Mansfield got a LOT more rain than we did at my house literally 20 minutes west of Mansfield. We got there at 5:30PM expecting the track to be a little wet but still workable. Unfortunately, they clearly got a quite drenching downpour that we knew would take a while to run in. Massive props for Sommer and ALL of the track prep crew and push truck drivers saving what should have been a cancelled night of racing. Any other track would've cancelled in this situation due to the amount of moisture and/or having an early curfew. The track was excellent to watch racing on and clearly blistering fast. There were certainly some rough spots especiallly on the bottom due to the rain but the fact that they raced at all last night was great. No dust by the time we had left.

The qualifying and hot laps were ran pretty efficiently in my opinion. Took 45 minutes to hot lap all the cars and one hour to qualify. There was about 15 minutes between the end of qualifying and the first heat race hitting the track. The racing in the middle heats was very very good. Besides Baker's mishap, there was a lot of passing in a few of those heat races. The first few were pretty much get a good start and stay straight but the track doesn't necessarily lend itself to great heat races. Makes the start and qualifying very important at Mansfield. The first B was good for what we watched. We had to leave just to get a minor amount of sleep for the 2 and half hour drive this morning.

Anyways, i'll leave you with this. If you think watching a grader and wheel packing for 3 hours is bad. Go to a college graduation with 2000 students. Holy **** that was awful.
                      2018 Race Counter: 24
                      Atomic (1), Attica (7), Mansfield (3), Wayne Co. (2), Fremont (3), Montpelier (2), Eldora (1), Waynesfield (1), Kokomo (1), Limaland (1), 35 Raceway (1), Gas City (1)

Comment

First, Congrats to GTigers55 on his graduation. Good job. You are on your way to a bright future. As for the race. I know they were in a tough spot with the rain but the lack of experience showed. It took way too long to get the track ready in my opinion. Racing, not just firing the engines, was supposed to start at seven. So I think the delay was longer than 2.5 hours. Closer to 4 but by then my clock might have been a little off. The track was racy but the tire issue was a huge issue. Something was cutting a lot of the tires. They ran a good program once they did get going and moved things along quickly. Not perfect but still a success in my book.

Comment

Did anyone ***** this much back in day when Earl had a vision??? Just curious and know back then social media was non existent

Comment

I thought it was a decent night of racing. We got there about 6 and walked up to look at the track. They must've gotten a helluva downpour in the late afternoon. Took a while to get the track back in shape but it was worth it. The cold I can deal with, it is April in Ohio. Only negative from my perspective was not getting home til after 4 a.m. All in all the features were the best races of the night. Feel bad for not only Chaney but also Stambaugh who was giving the Matus ride an incredible run.

Comment

Working...
                            X