No announcement yet.

Let's Race 2 - Track Prep

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I wrote my post yesterday it was sunny and 55 degrees in Sandusky. Fremont made the right call, ditto for Sandusky Speedway. Good thing I'm not a weatherman or a racetrack promotor. I don't understand the 410 or nothing attitude some fans have. There are fans who leave Attica as soon as the 410 feature is over. A significant portion of the few fans in attendance left Attica when the Ethanol feature finished. Very, very few fans stayed to the very end. See ya'll at Attica and Fremont on the 18th &19th. Weather permitting.

Comment

Tracks so good that barely misjudging and you skate right into the wall with nothing to grab onto. I dont know whats in that track a bunch of wood chips or what but there is NO GRIP.
      Glad I went to The Burg, Only 13 cars but actually one of the best features I ever seen.

Comment

I wouldn't complain about Eldora surface, and then brag about the burg. I have attended the WoO race the last few years and a BoSS race, and it was as dry and dusty as Eldora, even worse in some cases. of those 13 cars at the burg, how many could even make the Eldora USAC feature

Comment

I've been to both, 'Burg doesn't get enough cars to really make entertaining sprint races. Even the USAC show I went to only had 22 cars for a $10k to win race. I really enjoy watching the modifieds race there.
          2018 Race Counter: 7
          Atomic (1), Attica (2), Mansfield (2), Wayne Co. (1), Fremont (1)

Comment

Went to Eldora Friday night and the track was really good. The WoO was just off the 16 year old track record and they were running from top to bottom. I have to agree with JC5, my friend and I both made a comment that Ruetzel was driving it into the corner too hard and it was going to bite him and it did. He sure looks good though at Eldora for the few times he has been there. I was disappointed Dave Blaney and a couple other AllStars weren't there but it was a good show all around.

Comment

Originally posted by OHmudslinger View Post
              I wouldn't complain about Eldora surface, and then brag about the burg. I have attended the WoO race the last few years and a BoSS race, and it was as dry and dusty as Eldora, even worse in some cases. of those 13 cars at the burg, how many could even make the Eldora USAC feature
              Not the point at all as we had about ten lead changes among three cars, two lead swaps on the last two turns and third was about a car length back from that.. Last years Soudrette at the Burg was dry as hell. I agree but it's far from the norm, we've had four great races this year. To each there own but while they still qualify about the same, Eldora races two seconds slower. Where I used to go up there everytime sprints, wing or non ran, There has to be nothing else going on to get me to go there now. I will say everything there has improved. Except the track.

Comment

Went Friday. Sat in turn 1,end of grandstands in chair. Got little dust even with the wind blowing at us, which I was really suprised. IMO the track surface was pretty racey. Ol' Roger Slack found something to keep trying with the planting off winter wheat. Hopefully the track holds up like this, like this past weekend for the rest of the summer.
                2018 Races: Tulsa Chili Bowl-5, Attica-2, Waynesfield-2, Eldora-1, Mansfield-1

Comment

I remember years ago people constantly complained that Eldora was just a freight train around the top and had little passing especially in the heats. In recent years it seems they have taken some banking out of the track and the conditions seem to be dry & slick but the racing is more competitive (last year's Kings Royal with Christopher Bell & Ryan Smith coming from the back & Shane Stewart winning from 14th in 2015). Now people complain that the speed isn't what it used to be and want it back the old way.

I thought the racing this past weekend was great like it is 95-99percent of the time. While yes I do miss the under 13 second laps the features seem to be getting better year after year.

Comment

The racing at Eldora Is Great. If you've been around as long as I have you can tell that when a track goes under new management it will take them a few years to find their own sweet spot, and Eldora and Team has done a Great Job and have payed close attention and learned wisely thru their own growing pains. It is paying off. Always an Awesome Atmosphere!!!
                    2018 Race Counter - Total- 11 + (Rainouts-6) Atomic-1, Attica-2, Eldora-4, Fremont-1, Limaland-1, Mansfield- 2

Comment

Originally posted by Sprint14 View Post
                      I remember years ago people constantly complained that Eldora was just a freight train around the top and had little passing especially in the heats. In recent years it seems they have taken some banking out of the track and the conditions seem to be dry & slick but the racing is more competitive (last year's Kings Royal with Christopher Bell & Ryan Smith coming from the back & Shane Stewart winning from 14th in 2015). Now people complain that the speed isn't what it used to be and want it back the old way.

I thought the racing this past weekend was great like it is 95-99percent of the time. While yes I do miss the under 13 second laps the features seem to be getting better year after year.
                      I partially agree with this. But as a fan I don't mind "follow the leader" heat races as long as it widens out a bit for the feature. Kinda like the track conditions the night at volusia when Sheldon won. I remember when I was younger, Eldora's fastest way around was always right on the wall... I loved it. Its always what made Eldora special to me. When its dry slick like its been in recent years it just loses that wow factor. Kerry Madsen has a quote about running the wall at Eldora and how it made him fall in love with sprint car racing.

Comment

Originally posted by SAF92 View Post

I partially agree with this. But as a fan I don't mind "follow the leader" heat races as long as it widens out a bit for the feature. Kinda like the track conditions the night at volusia when Sheldon won. I remember when I was younger, Eldora's fastest way around was always right on the wall... I loved it. Its always what made Eldora special to me. When its dry slick like its been in recent years it just loses that wow factor. Kerry Madsen has a quote about running the wall at Eldora and how it made him fall in love with sprint car racing.
                        Actually you're saying what I was trying to say. I know that people complained about the heat races being follow the leader but I never minded it. There was always something about the speed and how close to the wall guys were at Eldora. It is still unnatural to see a race there where drivers are running the bottom and middle.

The part that I don't mind is where the track is I guess "racier" than what it was but at the same time I didn't think there was an issue to begin with. I remember in 2013 when Brad Sweet won the Kings Royal he led every lap from the front row and ran the top. However he was passed 2-3 times but used a crossover to regain the lead, him Schatz & Wimmer were 3wide for a couple laps but people were complaining about no passing in heat races and the winner came from the front row.

I miss the old Eldora but as long as it's not too dry and slick I am ok with it.

Comment

That's what made Eldora special and exciting to me, Everyone on the wall as fast as possible. A slider was a bomb and not some full two corner skate job. I've actually seen some good races since the removal of banking, But to me it isn't the edge of your seat racing it used to be for this fan.

Like I said, I'll go, if there's nothing else going on, But the days of Eldora being SPECIAL to me are over. Im also not much of a crowd person and I quit the Kings Royals due to excessive druneness. Just people being belligerently drunk.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Nungester View Post
                            That's what made Eldora special and exciting to me, Everyone on the wall as fast as possible. A slider was a bomb and not some full two corner skate job. I've actually seen some good races since the removal of banking, But to me it isn't the edge of your seat racing it used to be for this fan.

Like I said, I'll go, if there's nothing else going on, But the days of Eldora being SPECIAL to me are over. Im also not much of a crowd person and I quit the Kings Royals due to excessive druneness. Just people being belligerently drunk.
                            Thank you for being reasonable. I'm not track bashing or "bitching." Eldora just hasn't been what it used to be for a few years now, especially the "Let'sRace2" weekend. The races have been close and I've seen competitive races. But when a guy wins a race at eldora skating around and says "oh I was 1/2 - 3/4 throttle..." Thats not when Eldora is at its best in my opinion.

Comment

You've noticed that two, Drivers getting out saying, Oh, We weren't able to get half throttle tonight. That track used to bog the baddest motors., Now that they're mandating a Super duper containment seat that's twice as expensive as a Butlerbuilt. Probably 2/3rds of the available NW guys don't even have one and/or won't get one, Just for Eldora.

Honestly, not trying to bash the place, I just don't get the air of awesomeness from it I used too. And with the number of injuries the past couple years, It's proving slower isn't safer.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Nungester View Post

I hear ya on the excessive drunkenness, just do what I did years ago? Bring your chair and small cooler down inside turn 1 near the trinitron. No drunks.
                                2018 Race Counter - Total- 11 + (Rainouts-6) Atomic-1, Attica-2, Eldora-4, Fremont-1, Limaland-1, Mansfield- 2

Comment

Working...
                                X