Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weekend Outlook 6/15-6/19 (Speedweek through Tuesday)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weekend Outlook 6/15-6/19 (Speedweek through Tuesday)

Weekend Highlights

- Its Ohio Sprint speedweek time folks! One of the biggest weeks of racing in the state, if not the country. I'm covering through Tuesday in this blurb. A speedweek only schedule will be posted in the speed week thread. Ohio Sprint Speedweek Kicks off at Attica Raceway Park Friday night, often one of the best events of the speedweek tour. The All Stars then travel down to Eldora again this year, and with no other winged sprint shows in Ohio this Saturday they could see an even larger count than last year. Sunday night comes the show dubbed as "the best show of speedweek" at Waynesfield Raceway Park with the All Stars and NRA 360 sprints on the card. Some HUGE names pop in on the Sunday and Weekday shows so you may even get to see some surprise visitors. Speedweek continues at Wayne County Speedway in Orrville on Monday, and often features some of the best car counts of the entire week. Tuesday rounds off the first half of Speedweek at Sharon Speedway on the Icy dirt oval, featuring some fantastic side by side racing.

- Wayne County Speedway welcomes the World of Outlaw Late Models the Saturday preceding their Speedweek show, setting up a fantastic weekend of racing at the 3/8ths mile dirt track. Last year the show featured 31 cars on a May 27th Memorial Day weekend event. A new date this year could spark some new visitors to the track that were not there for last years big event.

- Sharon Speedway is another track who looks to have a huge weekend. Saturday they host an unprecedented $10k to win Penn-Ohio Pro Stock Nationals event with a test and tune on Friday night. A field of over 80+ cars have already registered for the event. Coupled with the speedweek show on Tuesday, a fantastic weekend of racing can be expected.

- The OVSCA sprints bring some sprint car racing to the Ohio and West Virginia border this weekend while the All stars race in the northern half of the state. Featuring a two race weekend with their first visit to Legendary Hilltop on the season, as well as their first visit across the West Virginia border to Ohio Valley Speedway. The OVSCA has seen a bump to their car counts this year with only one southern ohio series paying a point fund out.

- The Barney Oldfield Classic returns to Oakshade for a $5k+ to win late model event featuring the ALMS. The lone driver who has attended all ALMS races this season is Casey Noonan so you can expect him to be in house for the event. As well as a host of very tough local competitors such as Rusty Schlenk, Steve Kester, and Devin Shiels and some invaders the event should be well attended.

- Deerfield is bringing the Non wings to the small quarter mile for the first time this year after multiple rain outs dampered efforts earlier in the season. The Non wing experiment in the Northeast could prove to be an interesting one and extend the branch of non wing racing hosted in ohio.

- The BOSS non wing sprints countinue their season after being washed out last weekend at Fremont Speedway. The BOSS series has put on some great racing already this season and is very well followed. Around 30 cars were at Fremont the first time around, and with Waynesfield not racing until Sunday a larger crop of non wing sprinters in the pits.
    • June 15th
      • Attica Raceway Park – ASCoC Sprint Speedweek, Late Models
      • Deerfield Speedway – Non Wing Sprints, UCCMS 270 Micros, Modlites, Compacts
      • Hilltop Speedway – Late Models, Modifieds, Stocks, Modlites, Trucks, Compacts, Wedges
      • Jackson Co. Speedway – Late Models, Modifieds, Sport Modifieds, Compacts, Enduro
      • Legendary Hilltop Speedway – OVSCA Sprints, Late Models, Modifieds, Sport Modifieds, Compacts
      • Limaland Motorsports Park – FAST 305 Sprints, Modifieds, Stocks
      • Moler Raceway Park – Late Models, Modifieds, Sport Modifieds, Compacts
      • Raceway 7 – Crate Late Models, E-Modifieds, Stocks, Econo Modifieds, Compacts, Vintage Modifieds
      • Sharon Speedway – Test & Tune for OH/Penn Pro Stocks
    • June 16th
      • Atomic Speedway – Late Models, Modifieds, Sport Modifieds, Compacts ($5 GA)
      • Brushcreek Motorsports Complex – Bikes, Quads
      • Deerfield Speedway – Jr. Sprints, Jr. Sportsman, 270 Micros, Modlites, 600 Micros, Chargers, Classics
      • Fremont Speedway – BOSS Non Wing Sprints, FAST 305 Sprints, Trucks, Crate Late Models
      • Eldora Speedway – ASCoC Sprint Speedweek, Modifieds, Stocks
      • Oakshade Raceway – ALMS Late Models, Sportsman, Stocks, Compacts
      • Portsmouth Raceway Park – Late Models, Modifieds, Limited Late Models, Sport Modifieds
      • Sharon Speedway – OH/Penn Pro Stock Nationals $10k to win
      • Mansfield Motor Speedway – Monster Trucks
      • Wayne County Speedway – WoO Late Models, Stocks, Compacts
      • 35 Raceway Park – Modifieds, Sport Modifieds, Modlites, Stocks, Compacts, 4cyl Stocks, Enduro
    • June 17th
      • Legendary Hilltop Speedway – Enduro
      • Waynesfield Raceway Park – ASCoC Sprint Speedweek, NRA 360 Sprints
    • June 18th
      • Wayne County Speedway – ASCoC Sprint Speedweek
    • June 19th
      • Sharon Speedway – ASCoC Sprint Speedweek, RUSH Modifieds

2018 Race Counter: 13
    Atomic (1), Attica (4), Mansfield (2), Wayne Co. (1), Fremont (2), Montpelier (1), Eldora (1), Waynesfield (1)

Great information GT. I appreciate your efforts weekly as it is a very helpful place to find all you need to know about Ohio racing. The time you spend doing this is very much appreciated. Thanks.

Mike

Comment

Exactly what Mud Packer said.
      Thank you GT.

Comment

Thanks as always, GT. Monster trucks are at Mansfield. Is that the motorsports equivalent of professional wrestling, or is it racing?

Comment

Originally posted by racemak View Post
          Thanks as always, GT. Monster trucks are at Mansfield. Is that the motorsports equivalent of professional wrestling, or is it racing?
          well its not choreographed...but kids love em.

Comment

Originally posted by racemak View Post
            I figure if Enduro's are considered racing then monster trucks might as well be too... lol

You'll also note I include the tractor pulls at a few of the regular oval tracks too. Just trying to show other events at regular dirt tracks someone may be interested in as well.
            Atomic (1), Attica (4), Mansfield (2), Wayne Co. (1), Fremont (2), Montpelier (1), Eldora (1), Waynesfield (1)

Comment

No criticism was intended, GT. I just don't know what to think about monster trucks. They race on those stadium tracks, but not actually side by side. The free-style portion of the show is not racing. I found it hard to watch. Purposely destroying a monster truck in an inane stunt exibition just made me feel sad. If monster trucks get people interested in attending sprint and latemodel shows at Mansfield, that's great.

Comment

I think the Monster Truck show there is more an Exhibition. You can go to a Pit Party and pay for rides with that. I think they do more jumps and stunts and car crushing from what I heard about last year. Last year it rained on them and not the crowd you normally get from a friend of mine who went who does not want to go back. It was for the kids that they went.
                My kids were never interested in Monster Trucks at all.

Comment

Depends on what monster truck promotion you go to. Went to a Toughest Monster Truck tour show in Youngstown in Feb and it was actually nice. Did Chicago style circle race, wheelie contest and freestyle. And freestyle wasn't about flipping your truck over. It was actually about doing complicated things.

Went to a show in Lima last weekend and it was one of the worst things I have seen. Only 6 trucks, announcer took 25minutes to start the show because he seemed more entertained about trying to get the fans cheer for everything he said and the racing was just jumping over two mounds of Dirt

Comment

Saw Mansfield is having 8 Trucks.
                    Features Pit Party, Pro Arena Truck Racing and Bigfoot is making a jump.
                    Have no idea what Pro Arena Truck Racing is.

I'll be at WCS watching WoO Late Models.

Comment

And Deerfield has cancelled already for the weekend. you guys on the west side of ohio think limaland is bad...... Deerfield has got one feature in all of 2018 so far being last weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by RRacer70 View Post
                        Saw Mansfield is having 8 Trucks.
                        Features Pit Party, Pro Arena Truck Racing and Bigfoot is making a jump.
                        Have no idea what Pro Arena Truck Racing is.

I'll be at WCS watching WoO Late Models.
                        Best way to describe pro arena truck I guess would be the street stock equivalent to the TORC off road trucks. People who race their after market 4x4 through obstacle either against each other or the clock.

Being from Columbus, I'm going to Eldora and Waynesfield this weekend. Might do WCS on Monday depending on work. Hope everyone has a good time at whatever track they support this weekend

Comment

It has been an unwelcome race season for most tracks with all the rainfall and storms on the weekend.
                          WCS was going to have mid season championship last week and only had 3 races on the books. Then the R word showed up ending that night before it began.

It is hard for some of these tracks to turn a profit with so many rain outs. If we are lucky the weather will improve, tracks get outstanding crowds and car counts to help weather the storm from early to mid season.

Comment

Wow.. The competition is strong and so are the All Stars .. Kemenahs have their hands full even without Dale Blaney and Tim Shaffer .. This series is now worth going to.. Just wish they would schedule a race back down here in Portsmouth like the old days..

Comment

Originally posted by Edge View Post
                              Wow.. The competition is strong and so are the All Stars .. Kemenahs have their hands full even without Dale Blaney and Tim Shaffer .. This series is now worth going to.. Just wish they would schedule a race back down here in Portsmouth like the old days..
                              Was done at Portsmouth when they had the ovsca Vegas mt back last year so maybe they’re venturing back into that possibility at some point.

Im sure the all stars would love to have a track to pair with atomic for the southern Ohio trips but just about every track down there is a Saturday track.

Comment

Working...
                              X