Fremont Saturday 6/16

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fremont Saturday 6/16

Well tonight was a very eventful night to say the least. For the headliner the BOSS non wings had 32 cars. Three Fremont regulars in the winged 410s made a go at it in the non wing cars, those drivers being Tyler Gunn, Brian Smith, and Kelsey Ivy. A big surprise entry to me was Kody Swanson, a multi time silver crown champ and 2 time little 500 winner. The first heat race saw Paul Dues go from shotgun to the final fourth and final transfer position on a STEEP curb. The final heat race also provided some entertainment as Kody Swanson moved from 8th to 3rd and Cooley cane from 6th to 4th. Bobby distel had punted Swanson on the initial start, and whilst pulling the same move that brought out the first caution later in the heat, distel flipped hard. Tyler Gunn would win a fierce battle with Dustin ingle for the win in that heat as well. Brian smith came from 10th to finish third and transfer into the feature in the b main, and Kelsey ivy came home two spots shy in 8th.

The 305s saw FAST point leader John Ivy blow his engine coming to the line in his heat, still managing a fourth place run. Ivy (or a crew member?) got in the trailer and went to the shop to switch out the engine and made it back with plenty of time. In a later heat there was a big scare as Stroup flipped hard into the fence near the pit entrance and injured a fan. During that red, another fan had a medical emergency in the stands and both fans were transported out on ambulances. The feature was dominated by Jamie Miller as he completed a sweep on the weekend. A noteworthy absence of Paul Weaver surprised me.

The Limited Late Models need scrapped and their purse put elsewhere into the other fields purses or the track. It’s a shame they payout better than the trucks when their is always less than 16 cars (in this case 8) and only 1 or 2 that can win. Farmer said this was a make or break year for them and that being said this is probably their last year. Chester Fitch won for the second time this season leading green to checkered.

The dirt truck race turned into a marathon. A bevy of cautions many of which were for flats marred an otherwise entertaining feature. One crazy event, Kent brewer pinched brad mitten down into turn 1 where mitten had to get on the binders but was too late. Brad directly hit the infield tire and FLIPPED a dirt truck pretty hard onto it’s lid. I suppose there is a first for everything. Sorg went on to win despite great efforts from keckler and ward.
    2018 Race Counter: 22
    Atomic (1), Attica (7), Mansfield (3), Wayne Co. (2), Fremont (3), Montpelier (1), Eldora (1), Waynesfield (1), Kokomo (1), Limaland (1), 35 Raceway (1)

The dust on the DeVille is all from Attica. Luke Hall's win was not popular with the fans near me. The really loud boos you heard came from turn 4. Hall probably could have raced Tyler Gunn a little cleaner in turns 3 & 4. Great run for Brian Smith. I saw him sign autographs for about 6 kids. One kid wanted his arm signed, but Brian said he doesn't sign skin. He signed the kid's hat. Good call. Kody Swanson was a pleasant suprise. How about John Ivy going back to the shop for a motor change. Plenty of cheers when he came out for the feature.

Comment

I am a dyed-in-the-wool regular there and I thought it was a pretty good show overall. Track had good moisture, no holes, no dust. Best to drop the crate late models after years of 6-10 cars. Need to start teching the 305’s rather than worry about losing cars if teching were to commence. Tell the teams that effective 4-1-2020, teching will begin, so they have 2 years to dispose of the out-of-tolerance equipment they are currently running. Otherwise, the field will continue to dwindle as it has for the past 2 years. Fields of mid 30 to high 30’s are now low to mid 20’s. Poor crowd last night. I like non wing ( grew up on cars with no wings ) but when they run at Fremont the crowd is usually down. Only 3 regulars in the winged 410’s went to Eldora, so I’d like to see more winged 410 shows , especially since it is now the Fair Board’s money at risk since they are now the true promoter. They won’t be tolerant of low crowds when they are in the process of trying to generate $1.2 million in donations for grounds improvements ( the “ Capital Campaign “ launched last summer ). These comments are simply made In the interest of seeing racing perpetuated at this facility for future generations. No axe to grind or other subversive reasons.

Comment

Agree about 410 winged. A little diversity is good, but would rather see non wing once a year. Fans of Fremont prefer winged 410’s. Saturday attendance was friends and family, and not all of the family showed. Rather strange that Fremont. Odd that Fremont has non wing twice a year and Attica zero times per year.

Comment

They need to market the late models correctly from beginning of this year. Their no longer crates their steel block steel head LMs similar to what Attica ran 15yrs ago and got 20 a night. Heck their own website says 602 crates, come on, really. That for one won't help, not sure how much hurting though. I still think by season end we see possible 15 in class. Still few cars due to show I'm hearing. To be all honest if guy wants to race and very reasonably this class you can do it. Used rollers everywhere for 4k some less some more and a home built 400 with $700 dart heads you could be competitive. That's the real shame of things is that many don't know that

Comment

The latemodel class was doomed from the start and you cant try to fix it years later.Its a little too late now. Should of went with the rush legal rules to start with instead of creating a class out of thin air. If Fremont wants a 4th class then they could create a penn-ohio legal street stock class which is growing or the rush wingless sprints which would work out well for both of them.Really they could just run any division with cars that are already out there to lure in and grow locally.

Comment

Rush late models are not the answer. WCS was talked into them and it was tried for at least 3 years. They got about 6 cars on average. They even held 1 or 2 big Rush races and had 12 cars.
              I dont like seeing Rush non wing coming in when you have Boss with a solid following.
              My opinion is too many Rush divisions weakens the other classes.

Comment

Originally posted by RRacer70 View Post
                Rush late models are not the answer. WCS was talked into them and it was tried for at least 3 years. They got about 6 cars on average. They even held 1 or 2 big Rush races and had 12 cars.
                I dont like seeing Rush non wing coming in when you have Boss with a solid following.
                My opinion is too many Rush divisions weakens the other classes.
                I wouldn't put wcs failures on any other track. The fact is a lot of support divisions are failing at wcs. They couldn't get any mods, crates, and now the street stocks are down to 13-16 cars without running against hilltop. Only thing on the up besides 410s are the mini stocks and that's got a lot to do with not running against hilltop and Deerfield not running pretty much this whole year. My point on Fremont though is they should have tried to run a division that already is in existence rather then create one that can only run at Fremont and nowhere else. Who would really want to build a car that's only for one track.... Looks like about 5-6 over the last few years.

Comment

Reason for more non wing shows? That’s the only sanction that the ownership and Farmer work together with. I ironically have only been to Fremont for the two non wing races this year, just by chance. They didn’t run wings against speedweek this year because they had one of Ohio’s low car counts last year when’s they did with 14.
                  Atomic (1), Attica (7), Mansfield (3), Wayne Co. (2), Fremont (3), Montpelier (1), Eldora (1), Waynesfield (1), Kokomo (1), Limaland (1), 35 Raceway (1)

Comment

Originally posted by GTigers55 View Post
                    Well tonight was a very eventful night to say the least. For the headliner the BOSS non wings had 32 cars. Three Fremont regulars in the winged 410s made a go at it in the non wing cars, those drivers being Tyler Gunn, Brian Smith, and Kelsey Ivy. A big surprise entry to me was Kody Swanson, a multi time silver crown champ and 2 time little 500 winner. The first heat race saw Paul Dues go from shotgun to the final fourth and final transfer position on a STEEP curb. The final heat race also provided some entertainment as Kody Swanson moved from 8th to 3rd and Cooley cane from 6th to 4th. Bobby distel had punted Swanson on the initial start, and whilst pulling the same move that brought out the first caution later in the heat, distel flipped hard. Tyler Gunn would win a fierce battle with Dustin ingle for the win in that heat as well. Brian smith came from 10th to finish third and transfer into the feature in the b main, and Kelsey ivy came home two spots shy in 8th.

The 305s saw FAST point leader John Ivy blow his engine coming to the line in his heat, still managing a fourth place run. Ivy (or a crew member?) got in the trailer and went to the shop to switch out the engine and made it back with plenty of time. In a later heat there was a big scare as Stroup flipped hard into the fence near the pit entrance and injured a fan. During that red, another fan had a medical emergency in the stands and both fans were transported out on ambulances. The feature was dominated by Jamie Miller as he completed a sweep on the weekend. A noteworthy absence of Paul Weaver surprised me.

The Limited Late Models need scrapped and their purse put elsewhere into the other fields purses or the track. It’s a shame they payout better than the trucks when their is always less than 16 cars (in this case 8) and only 1 or 2 that can win. Farmer said this was a make or break year for them and that being said this is probably their last year. Chester Fitch won for the second time this season leading green to checkered.

The dirt truck race turned into a marathon. A bevy of cautions many of which were for flats marred an otherwise entertaining feature. One crazy event, Kent brewer pinched brad mitten down into turn 1 where mitten had to get on the binders but was too late. Brad directly hit the infield tire and FLIPPED a dirt truck pretty hard onto it’s lid. I suppose there is a first for everything. Sorg went on to win despite great efforts from keckler and ward.

Thanks for the race review. Sorry but it seems I'm missing something. Who won the BOSS feature?

Never mind. I found the race recap elsewhere. Sounds like an entertaining show.
                    Last edited by Mud Packer; June 17th, 2018, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mud Packer View Post

Thanks for the race review. Sorry but it seems I'm missing something. Who won the BOSS feature?

Never mind. I found the race recap elsewhere. Sounds like an entertaining show.
                      Hell youre right I missed the best part! Gunn got slid on last lap by Luke hall in the boss feature. Had it won but jumped cushion in 3&4.

Comment

I say work on the two support divisions they (Fremont) have now and drop the lates. You have to tech or that can keep drivers and/or owners away. Tracks tend to fall into that favoritism scene and just blow off tech so that no one gets pissed. Also you can't rely on the support classes to fatten your back gate and then not pay them well. I have seen this in my area and those classes die off within a short amount of seasons. You have to play well with others and run classes that run more than one track. It don't hurt to pay them more on more than one occasion each year too. I also think the tracks that are not running All Star events are missing out, especially their fans. I have followed the series since Webb's demise (got away from them when Webb had em) and this series is growing and the car counts are always high, stands are packed, and there are always surprise competitors showing up. It's quickly becoming the All Stars of days gone by. SpeedWeek alone this year has been some of the Best racing I have seen in many many years. JMO's I call em how I see em!
                        2018 Race Counter - Total- 28 + (Rainouts-15) Atomic-2, Attica-7, Eldora-8, Fremont-1, Kokomo-1, Limaland-2, Mansfield- 2, Waynesfield-4, Wayne County-1

Comment

Agree with you on that Racechaser about the support classes. Build them up and keep how many classes you run down.
                          Fremont needs to go back to 3 classes and concentrate on them.
                          As to WCS they went back to the core 4 classes that supported WCS since the 1980s.
                          Mods and crates were what they were talked into and ran and eliminated when those who said they were supporting it didnt. The fan base at WCS is also not the modified crowd. You have to go further south to get into the modified country. WCS is truly a fan base of winged sprint (majority) and late models crowd.
                          WCS also did not seem to be the niche track for the non wings.
                          Racing has been much improved without those classes.
                          WCS has been building up the support classes.
                          I call the street stock class healthy not dying. 16 cars is a low night and they are usually in the 20s which makes a good field. The street stocks has many competitive drivers.
                          The mini stock class had big counts last year when competing against Hilltop. They also have a large regular group that consistently keeps the numbers close to 30 a night. That does not count in the travelers which put them at over 40 the regular opening night.
                          I think WCS is doing quite well except the weather this year has been cruel to them and other tracks.

Comment

There have been some very good opinions and suggestions posted on this subject.

Comment

Please bring back the All stars and outlaws

Comment

Working...
                              X