Track safety

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Track safety

With the heartbreaking news everyone got last night i think this is a topic that gets overlooked until something bad really happens. Not saying anything from last night could of been different but just bringing this topic up in general. Ive been to quite a few different tracks and every one of them is different. Alot have been around for decades. Point is cars are going alot faster today and some tracks arent up to date with saftey measures needed for todays cars. I know the answers are more foam walls, higher/more catch fences, and removing immovable objects that cars can hit but how do we get there? I know that places like attica and fremont are exeptionally well configured and updated for saftey but there are tracks in the area that run 410's that need improvement.

Beaver Dam had another driver die in the same spot same way within the last 5 years. Shouldn’t be allowed to have an outlaw show, or 410s in general, until they have a catch fence in the corners.

Most if not all of the Ohio tracks I’ve been too seem pretty safe. Only one I’d question is maybe Portsmouth? 35 Raceway definitely needs some stiffer fences if they keep putting on ovsca shows. I’ve never been to leg hilltop or hilltop to judge.

But for anyone who complains about Eldora cutting out some banking, or keeping the track a little less fast this is why. If it’s saved even one life then it’s worth not having as great of racing as it could’ve been. Although I’ve never seen a bad race there myself..
    2018 Race Counter: 24
    Atomic (1), Attica (7), Mansfield (3), Wayne Co. (2), Fremont (3), Montpelier (2), Eldora (1), Waynesfield (1), Kokomo (1), Limaland (1), 35 Raceway (1), Gas City (1)

Comment

I know a lot of people are quick to blame the billboards because it seems obvious and they may be correct. I’m more concerned about the hard hit to a broad facing concrete wall at the pit opening. There should never be a flat/broad wall like that at any racetrack. Soft/foam walls would go a long way towards saving lives in scenarios like that.

Comment

Another thing I hate saying because we all love sprint cars for the same reason we hate them, the speed. We’re flirting with 20 year old track records that were set with no weight rule. The cars are too damn fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Dog View Post
          I know a lot of people are quick to blame the billboards because it seems obvious and they may be correct. I’m more concerned about the hard hit to a broad facing concrete wall at the pit opening. There should never be a flat/broad wall like that at any racetrack. Soft/foam walls would go a long way towards saving lives in scenarios like that.
          Yes. I agree 100%. A catch fence on this concrete wall does nothing but stop him more abruptly. Concrete walls in general are bad news... add to the fact its broad facing due to the pit opening. Bad situation. I hope other dirt tracks learn from this and prevent similar wrecks in the future. Reconfigure pit entrances/exits, add soft-walls or safer barriers seen in NASCAR. I know most local short tracks probably lack the funding to do so but its something that needs done one way or another. I attended the Little 500 @ Anderson Speedway for the first time this year. I was shocked at the gaping wide open openings in the track's outer wall at the entrance/exit of turns 3 & 4.

Comment

Originally posted by GTigers55 View Post
            Beaver Dam had another driver die in the same spot same way within the last 5 years. Shouldn’t be allowed to have an outlaw show, or 410s in general, until they have a catch fence in the corners.

Most if not all of the Ohio tracks I’ve been too seem pretty safe. Only one I’d question is maybe Portsmouth? 35 Raceway definitely needs some stiffer fences if they keep putting on ovsca shows. I’ve never been to leg hilltop or hilltop to judge.

But for anyone who complains about Eldora cutting out some banking, or keeping the track a little less fast this is why. If it’s saved even one life then it’s worth not having as great of racing as it could’ve been. Although I’ve never seen a bad race there myself..
            While I tend to believe a catch fence is more for fan safety, I went to Waynesfield for the first time for the speed week show. Their "catch fence" looked like your typical backyard chain link fence. Obviously is was taller but the poles didn't seem strong enough to catch an airborne race car...

Comment

Tracks like to say the cost keeps them from buying the soft walls, but what’s the price on someones life? And then someone gets killed at your track due to your negligence, how much is that insurance hike going to cost you? Or the settlement on the inevitable lawsuit?

Comment

Originally posted by SAF92 View Post

While I tend to believe a catch fence is more for fan safety, I went to Waynesfield for the first time for the speed week show. Their "catch fence" looked like your typical backyard chain link fence. Obviously is was taller but the poles didn't seem strong enough to catch an airborne race car...
                That catch fence at Waynesfield has been that way since it opened (weak with weak materials and design). I seen several race cars test that fence and weaken it each time, but still no improvements? If you look closely at the top of that rickety old fence there are plastic tie downs holding it to the cable in a certain spot and muffler clamps holding the poles at the bottom all around. When I see these types of things I wonder how they get insurance at all? People have talked about this before, but instead they choose to ignore. Then they shrink their schedule to less than 20 events and have all that free time, yet still no improvements??? Teams have rules they have to follow yet tracks seem to have none?
                2018 Race Counter - Total- 33 + (Rainouts-18) Atomic-2, Attica-7, Eldora-11, Fremont-3, Kokomo-1, Limaland-2, Mansfield- 2, Waynesfield-4, Wayne County-1

Comment

They also have the barbed wire holders at the top facing towards track

Comment

Seems that Waynesfield got the message! Per their Facebook today:

“Busy day today making facility additions. Added posts and fencing to the catch fence in turn 3/4. Also added safety bars to the leg backs on the bleachers. Always trying to make the fan experience better and keeping safety in mind for both drivers and fans.”
                    2018 Race Counter: 24
                    Atomic (1), Attica (7), Mansfield (3), Wayne Co. (2), Fremont (3), Montpelier (2), Eldora (1), Waynesfield (1), Kokomo (1), Limaland (1), 35 Raceway (1), Gas City (1)

Comment

I seen that and I hope they continue.
                      2018 Race Counter - Total- 33 + (Rainouts-18) Atomic-2, Attica-7, Eldora-11, Fremont-3, Kokomo-1, Limaland-2, Mansfield- 2, Waynesfield-4, Wayne County-1

Comment

I mean, after the Speedweek incident, they'd almost have to make some improvements before insurance would let them race again. Glad to hear that they are making these improvements though! Maybe a scoring tower is next?

Comment

incident during speedweek had nothing to do with track safety was there and it was a unfortunate accident

Comment

Saw they were putting bars across the bleacher openings to probably stop anyone from falling thru. I would imagine that came from inurance company.
                            I have been to tracks where safety on track and in the stands was questionable at best.
                            Glad some tracks are addressing some of the problems.

Comment

When our kids were younger we would not sit in that particular section of bleachers at Waynesfield for that very reason. That and I didn't want my cooler to fall thru.

Comment

Working...
                              X