Mansfield

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mansfield

Did any viewers attend the recent late model event at Mansfield ? How was the show, track conditions, attendance, etc ? Thanks.

Racing was pretty good. Leaders checked out pretty early in both features but battles on back pretty good. Track looked pretty good besides one hole in 3&4 early on but seemed to go away. Slick with a dusty cushion. Not too much dust otherwise and not rough. Fan count seemed very good to me for what I’d expect at a Lucas race in our region. Races clicked off without wasting any time. Fireworks were fantastic. Cody spent a lot of money on that show.
    2019 Race Counter: 0

Comment

No complaints from me either. They allow small coolers in with water and the show went smooth. Glad I went to Mansfield instead of Sharon since everyone said it was a freight train with the track being terrible. Hard for locals to compete with the lucas guys so car counts were about what u would expect at all 4 shows they had here in ohio. Im ready to get back to wing racing this weekend. Either wcs or Sharon.

Comment

Track was what it was because of the heat. Yes there was dust at points. All in all track was decent given the weather. Lots of flats in the lates maybe from rough hard surface and heat.
        Racing was good and like GT said leaders checked out early from the front rows.
        Each series had all their own officials so that went smoothly. Not sure what would have happened if only Mansfield staff doing the pits and track.
        I actually thought late model car count was good for the area show. Plenty of traveling names. Stands were decent. Not sure how much the heat kept fans away.
        Modified count was lower than what i expected but i had no knowledge of this series so guess it was normal. I thought the mod series was going to have more top cars instead of the 2 or 3.
        Now being we are in sprint territory with late models and not the following south of this area where you have modifieds country.
        My question is the 2 day modified show in September with mods only is my understanding. I just cant see the car count being very high. And calling it the shawshank 100, are those cars running 100 laps? Not sure that half of them would make it.
        I question the crowd that will come to just watch modifieds. I heard it was the same series. Just afraid that they will take a crowd loss which they dont need. WCS and Hilltop had mods and WCS dropped that class as there was no following. Hilltop still runs them but it seems car count is low.
        Im not interested in just watching modifieds there. Sprints and late models would be excellent to have together.

Comment

Originally posted by RRacer70 View Post
          Track was what it was because of the heat. Yes there was dust at points. All in all track was decent given the weather. Lots of flats in the lates maybe from rough hard surface and heat.
          Racing was good and like GT said leaders checked out early from the front rows.
          Each series had all their own officials so that went smoothly. Not sure what would have happened if only Mansfield staff doing the pits and track.
          I actually thought late model car count was good for the area show. Plenty of traveling names. Stands were decent. Not sure how much the heat kept fans away.
          Modified count was lower than what i expected but i had no knowledge of this series so guess it was normal. I thought the mod series was going to have more top cars instead of the 2 or 3.
          Now being we are in sprint territory with late models and not the following south of this area where you have modifieds country.
          My question is the 2 day modified show in September with mods only is my understanding. I just cant see the car count being very high. And calling it the shawshank 100, are those cars running 100 laps? Not sure that half of them would make it.
          I question the crowd that will come to just watch modifieds. I heard it was the same series. Just afraid that they will take a crowd loss which they dont need. WCS and Hilltop had mods and WCS dropped that class as there was no following. Hilltop still runs them but it seems car count is low.
          Im not interested in just watching modifieds there. Sprints and late models would be excellent to have together.
          I'd think you'd get some more travelers for a higher paying show like that. I don't know if it competes elsewhere in the region with another big mod event but if not you may get a huge count for that purse.

Track is still pretty rocky as some fans siting closer down towards the track found out. One guy took a golf ball sized one in the face and was bleeding but stuck it out. Imagine that has to do something with flats.

Comment

I am not posting this to bash the track but just to make everyone aware. Mansfield has a problem with rocks. I am going to assume they added dirt this spring but never screened it. At the Lucas oil race I was hit in the chest and a fan in front of me was hit in the upper lip to the point he was bleeding pretty good. You could hear the rocks pinging off the seats. One rock was considerably bigger than a golf ball and landed in the aisle way. I know someone in our group did bring this to attention of the track via email. People told me this was also a problem at the Sprint Car World championship. They need to add real clay not just dirt. Thats why it is always so dusty. I have not bought tickets to the dirt million yet and I am not taking a chance dodging rocks so I am not going.

Comment

Great facility with awesome events but like you said the rock problem is a real issue and they need to take care of it. Get the boy scouts out there to help

Comment

Really just don't sit in the bottom 8 or 10 rows or in the corners and you'll be clear of rocks. All tracks got them, Attica's a pretty bad one too for rocks but since fans sit far enough back nobody notices it besides the drivers and crews. I Saw a picture of one of Brian Smith's nose wings from earlier this year that has a gaping hole in it from a rock. I'm sure you all have seen the dents in wings from a lot locals, regardless if it was from Attica, Fremont, Wayne Co, Mansfield, Waynesfield... etc. Rocks are gonna be in dirt tracks, only thing you can do is have a crew go around track and pick them up on day. And from my experience of picking up rocks in a farmfield, you can clean up every damn rock there is in that field but come next year there will be twice as many rocks as you started with somehow someway.

Comment

Well you are stats kind of guy so here are some stats. I been to Attica prob 200 times never been hit by a rock. Been to Mansfield 3 times been hit by a rock. You caould see the rocks laying on the track after the A main at Mansfield its not just a fluke thing.

Comment

The racing was pretty good as stated above. The track was a little dusty at times but the high temps and 15 mph wind contributes to a lot of that. The amenities at Mansfield are second to none. The rocks are a big problem there however. We were standing on the backstretch and Arica the size of a Raquel ball hit Kyle Bronson in the arm and made his arm numb. Then in the feature we were standing in turn four and the lady naked is got hit in the head with a big rock and had to go get stitches because it wouldn't stop bleeding.

Comment

I’m not arguing that there aren’t rocks there. I know it’s bad. But hell I’ll take rocks over last years syrfaces any day.

Comment

They have not done anything to address this problem yet. People in the stands dodging rocks all night and holes big enough to put your fist through in the wings and hoods.

Comment

Wayne county has a rock problem too.

Comment

Originally posted by RYAN5R View Post
                            Wayne county has a rock problem too.
                            Mansfield

Comment

Mansfield

Comment

Working...
                              X