Beckley WV Cancels due to Good weather

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beckley WV Cancels due to Good weather

Not kidding. Great Lakes Sprints called off their show because of rocks earlier in the year. Now they’re cancelling a race to screen the surface. Right move to try to get rid of the rocks. Bad move cancelling a race when there are 6 other days.

Racing canceled for tonight. We have decided to take advantage of the good weather opportunity to continue to work on the track surface. We have purchased a screening machine from Whythe Raceway and will work through the weekend to improve the track condition. We will resume racing next Friday night. Thank you all for your cooperation and understanding. We look forward to seeing you all next Friday night!!!
    2018 Race Counter: 22
    Atomic (1), Attica (7), Mansfield (3), Wayne Co. (2), Fremont (3), Montpelier (1), Eldora (1), Waynesfield (1), Kokomo (1), Limaland (1), 35 Raceway (1)

Maybe they can rent the machine to Mansfield when they are done!

Comment

At least they understand they have a problem and are trying to rectify it. Most tracks would have just left it as is.

Comment

Originally posted by Deadhorse View Post
        At least they understand they have a problem and are trying to rectify it. Most tracks would have just left it as is.
        Good point, and true. There have been some serious eye injuries to drivers over the decades from rocks, as well as to spectators. I’ve been to numerous events when this has happpened. Looks like this track has made a decision based on safety, which I applaud.

Comment

Originally posted by Deadhorse View Post
          Yes exactly, I can appreciate that fact. Just odd to cancel an event in order to do it.
          Atomic (1), Attica (7), Mansfield (3), Wayne Co. (2), Fremont (3), Montpelier (1), Eldora (1), Waynesfield (1), Kokomo (1), Limaland (1), 35 Raceway (1)

Comment

Paragon cancelled last night “due to the heat.” That place needs to become a specials only track.

Comment

Originally posted by hoopscoach View Post
              Paragon cancelled last night “due to the heat.” That place needs to become a specials only track.
              I was in Indianapolis last night ( not that far from Paragon ) and they had over 11,000 for a minor league baseball game, with 91 degrees at game time. Perhaps they were worried about dust rather than attendance.

Comment

Keith Ford owns and promotes Paragon and has for the last 25+ years. The track is for sale and has been for two years at least. Keith isn't a young man anymore and he wants to retire. They have cancelled in the past due to heat as well so this isn't earth shattering news. If someone doesn't step up and buy the speedway, I wouldn't be surprised if Keith just doesn't shut it down. So anyone who needs to strap on the title of owner/promoter here is your chance. Have at it.

Comment

I think Mud Packer Speedway has a nice ring to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sprintcarfanatic View Post
                    Sounds like an Indiana track to me 😂

Comment

Originally posted by Mud Packer View Post

Keith Ford owns and promotes Paragon and has for the last 25+ years. The track is for sale and has been for two years at least. Keith isn't a young man anymore and he wants to retire. They have cancelled in the past due to heat as well so this isn't earth shattering news. If someone doesn't step up and buy the speedway, I wouldn't be surprised if Keith just doesn't shut it down. So anyone who needs to strap on the title of owner/promoter here is your chance. Have at it.
                      Do you know what the asking price is? That may have something to do with the absence of a buyer.

A similar situation is not far off for Montpelier.

Comment

Originally posted by Sprintcarfanatic View Post
                        Ha ha ha. Very funny, I'm also too old to handle that type of situation. Also semi retired so don't look for me to have any interest in punching that time clock.

Comment

Do you know what the asking price is? That may have something to do with the absence of a buyer.

A similar situation is not far off for Montpelier.
                          I have heard that $700,000 buys the speedway and house on the property. That is just a rumor so I wouldn't go out and borrow the money without checking it out first. Also, I hope you are wrong on Montpelier but I have heard Harold has had some health issues so that could also be the case. I always hate to hear and a racetrack is for sale. Many of them don't survive and close which is so sad.

Comment

Every time another phone store opens, somewhere in America a speedway closes.

Comment

Be like farmers hrs, no such thing as a clock to punch & if the house does come with it you set on the 2nd floor with binoculars & walkie talkie & direct the peasants from there.

Comment

Working...
                              X