Knoxville

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knoxville

New here and was told about this site from a friend.

Most fans are happy about Knoxville because Brad Sweet won it instead of Donny. Would people feel as well about the event if Donny would have won it again?

Do you think Knoxville is overpricing itself with tickets? Seen where they was making a big deal about the place being sold out during the race which is great for dirt track racing? They seat less than 22,000. Not saying that is a bad thing, but clearly the Kings Royal had a lot more fans in attendance the past couple of years than Knoxville, but they also charge a lot more than what Eldora does as well for 3 complete WoO shows. Is that one reason why fans or should say as many fans go to Eldora over Knoxville even though Knoxville is said to be the Daytona of dirt racing for a sprint car?

The racing seemed very good and a lot of battling with Donny and Larson, but it seemed like the entire weekend there really wasn't a lot of passing or guys moving towards the front. The heat races on Wed/Thurs were mostly won by the front row, a lot of the faster cars had to run the B-Mains. Seemed Friday was the best night and seemed Saturday like they was dragging things out which is non-Knoxville like.

Have a great time at both events, but I personally like Eldora better with 3 complete shows, closer to home, the speed, and also the higher banks.

I'm glad you enjoyed Knoxville. Some fans go every year, but I get the impression once was enough for you. There's going to some good racing at Attica this Friday. I hope you can attend. Now for the part where the big event fans don't agree with me. On big tracks (dirt and especially pavement), the cars often become widely spaced after a few laps. No matter how famous the drivers are, its not that interesting. Thanks for joining the club.

Comment

It's the $2 beer that packs eldora. I'll take Knoxville any day over eldora especially in recent years and it's 90 miles to eldora and 562 to Knoxville.

Comment

Originally posted by racemak View Post
        I'm glad you enjoyed Knoxville. Some fans go every year, but I get the impression once was enough for you. There's going to some good racing at Attica this Friday. I hope you can attend. Now for the part where the big event fans don't agree with me. On big tracks (dirt and especially pavement), the cars often become widely spaced after a few laps. No matter how famous the drivers are, its not that interesting. Thanks for joining the club.
        Will still go back, but I am not impressed as others are I guess. Not saying I don't love it, but I have a few issues that I don't like while others probably love them.

As for Attica I go quite a bit, not every week, but hit all the bigger shows for sure and a few regular shows. As for this Friday hoping the rain holds off for the teams and track and will be interesting because right now they are calling for early afternoon rain showers while clearing out before hot laps, but not sure I will be attending or not. I spent a lot of money the past month and starting to hurt my pocket book especially when the wife stares at me saying you was just gone for almost a entire week haha.

Month of money races I went to was Sharon all-stars, Attica Doty, 3 Eldora Kings Royal, Lernerville, Attica 27th, and 4 nights at Knoxville. Spent a lot of money and not just ticket prices either with food, drink, driving, camping, etc...

As for the track size it doesn't bother me at all and I like all different type of tracks and what I think makes it unique and not just the same thing. You can see the same type of racing on smaller tracks just as well where the leader takes off and nobody catches him. All depends on the competition, track, etc...

Originally posted by Motorhead View Post
        It's the $2 beer that packs eldora. I'll take Knoxville any day over eldora especially in recent years and it's 90 miles to eldora and 562 to Knoxville.
        I personally like Eldora more because of the high speed, high banks, and yes the passing. Honestly I didn't see a lot of passing at Knoxville this past week. Seen some good racing between some drivers, but not a lot of passing whether it was Wed, Thurs, Fri, or Sat and thought Friday was the best day actually.

2.00 beers pack the place with 35,000 vs 22,000 at knoxville -- okay.
        Last edited by DirtRacer42; August 13th, 2018, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Does all the Promotions and PR you see before the event get people excited and then they feel let down when there?
          Just curious about that.

Comment

Originally posted by RRacer70 View Post
            Does all the Promotions and PR you see before the event get people excited and then they feel let down when there?
            Just curious about that.
            For me I thought all the stuff before and after the racing for Knoxville was very good and wish other tracks like Eldora would do more of that type of thing with a 3 day show now for the Kings Royal. I am a guy that doesn't do a lot of going around and seeing what is going on besides hitting the t-shirt trailers because I like hanging out with friends at camper and having a good time with them. Seems some like having people put things together such as the 4mile run, the cornhole tournament, slideways racing, concerts after the races, etc... it seems the drivers want to do some of this and eager to as well especially being at one place for so long with what all these guys were doing out there.

For me, I don't like two things out at Knoxville.
            1) I don't like the 8 invert and yes I know it is based on points, but when the track is/was as narrow as it was especially on Wednesday night it makes it really tough to move up. To me 6 is more than plenty for a invert because I want to see the fast guys not only move up, but I also want to see them win or place high in their heats. Seeing a lot of fast guys in the b-main because of narrow/fast track and the leader taking off and with no caution it was tough to get in the top 4 a lot of times.
            2) I don't like the split up of the field on Wednesday and Thursday. I realize they have big fields and all that and would be tough to do especially when your at 85-100 cars. I don't have a answer for a solution or think they have to change it, but just don't like only seeing half the guys.

Seems a lot of teams are going the route of if they don't qualify well they run the heats and then don't run the mains on wed/thurs so they don't tear up equipment which I understand completely.
            Last edited by DirtRacer42; August 13th, 2018, 10:41 PM.

Comment

There are about 17k permanent seats and or spots to sit at Eldora, there’s no way there are 35k people for the Kings Royal. My guess is it’s much closer to Knoxville number than 35k.

As far as what’s better, I would take Knoxville 100 times out of 100, but to each their own. I thought there was a ton of passing all week, but more in the pack, the leaders pretty much took off for the most part but the charges from back in the pack were phenomenal.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtRacer42 View Post

Will still go back, but I am not impressed as others are I guess. Not saying I don't love it, but I have a few issues that I don't like while others probably love them.
                Not to highjack the thread but that pretty much sums up how I feel about Kokomo. I like all types of racing but the non wing sprints were a letdown the night I went. Very little passing because track was mud and then they watered it some more. Took until halfway through feature before guys could pass outside of restarts, and I’m talking all the way through the field.

305s there on the other hand were fantastic. Side by side to three wide racing for laps on end. Just felt the non wings were a bit over hyped although the talent for a local show was equivalent to a USAC show. Might have just been a dud night I happened to go 🤷🏻*♂️
                2018 Race Counter: 24
                Atomic (1), Attica (7), Mansfield (3), Wayne Co. (2), Fremont (3), Montpelier (2), Eldora (1), Waynesfield (1), Kokomo (1), Limaland (1), 35 Raceway (1), Gas City (1)

Comment

I have gone to both events and for me if I had to choose between knoxville & Kings Royal, I'm choosing Knoxville 100times out of 100 as well. And let me say this, I love Eldora and go to every sprintcar event they have and I love the Kings Royal, but I think the Nationals are better.

I love the format, the racing through the field is great even in the heats seeing the fast qualifers try to come up through the field and gain points. The features are awesome as well and I feel it's probably the best value ticket and event. Already booked our room for next year.

I actually think Knoxville had more people than Eldora, they are just more spread out vs Eldora everyone is basically on top of each other. I think Eldora holds 17782 permanent seats and Knoxville has 21200? Either way I would say attendance is the same and the speeds are about the same. With the mufflers and low b.anking Knoxville may seem slower but to me it's just as fast.

Everyone has their preferences and I prefer the Nationals whether Schatz wins or not. Have renewed the hotel and Tix after he has won as well

Comment

As of the 2010 census, the population was 52,959.

​​​​​​theyve announced more than once at world 100 that there was more people at Eldora than in darke county for attendance #s

Comment

Tigers it just had to be 1 out of 100 you went to because if you went more or watch videos it's usually pretty good. Gas city is another place that usually has good racing.

I went out to Knoxville in 04 with 600 bucks. Bought my tickets from a fella at Oskaloosa + pit pass that night, Bought t-shirts & eats & still came home with 120 bucks ohhh I also gave a guy 50 bucks to set at the curb in front of his house.

Comment

Working...
                      X