No announcement yet.

Farmer Quits Fremont Speedway

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jim Ford before farmer, previous was shut down. Prior to that meggitt think was involved as was someone else that did 1yr stint

Comment

Originally posted by RRacer70 View Post
      I remember when Gary Kern had track with Joe and Shirley Thompson, who came after them up to Rich Farmer?

Isnt The Hall of Fame a separate entity? I thought I read it had its own committee and they did all the stuff separate from the track.
      Farmer still runs/owns the Hall of Fame. Not sure how that works sitting on the Fairboard/track property?

Don Emick
      Paul Szakovits
      Gary Kern
      Joseph Darr
      Ken Langhals
      Kelly Applegate
      Ken Meggitt
      Jim Ford
      Rich Farmer

Comment

Did one of the guys listed above also do Millstream at one time?

Comment

The Hall of Fame “ ownership “ is a confusing issue. The guy who runs it keeps claiming that Farmer does not own it. Has said that several times directly to me. The HOF is a 501(c) (3) not-for-profit entity. You can look up their tax returns since it is a not-for-profit. I did look it up a number of months ago. It is a very modest entity, financially. All of the displays are owned by various people and are on loan, so to speak. One of the largest contributors to the construction of the building was the late De Genzman. So, I don’t know how it can be said that any one person “ owns “ it.

Comment

I do remember some of them now that I see the names.

Thank you for the answer.

The FAST traveling series I would think will continue.

Comment

Did one of the guys listed above also do Millstream at one time?
              Langhals had Fremont, Millstream and Lima once.

Comment

Originally posted by Swamp View Post
                Wow...everyone slamming on the guy who has kept the place up and running for a decade or so, added a Hall of Fame, added money to the purses and had as many high paying shows as he could fit onto the schedule, bought the FAST series from me and kept it going, and always had the best interest of the race car teams/owners at the forefront. So he pissed off Tony Stewart and Temper Tantrum Tony pulled his All Stars shows and that's all anyone remembers. Pretty sad. Go back and revisit the reason why Tony was pissed. I'll just stop there and say you should all be ashamed of yourselves.

Thanks, Rich Farmer for everything you've done for Fremont Speedway. Some people will never know the half of it, or appreciate the things they do know about.
                Farmer has ran a successful local/regional track. The races are good, car counts are typically good and the purse is good. They fixed the roughness of the track from the first time I saw a race there in 2016 which was one of my big gripes. I would say it’s the most successful track in Ohio who does not bring in any major touring series throughout the season which does say a lot. The FAST series has saw some drop off with the 305s not showing up at Limaland and Waynesfield and I think that may have hurt their chances at more dates outside of the Attica/Fremont and Great Lakes Nationals @ Mansfield.

As as for the reason of complaints from everyone, I think they are honestly well justified. Farmer tried some things that to put bluntly just didn’t work. Take the formerly crate late models turned limited late model division. Farmer introduced it with a better purse than trucks to add another entry level division for drivers to compete in. However, support never was gained for it and each year the car count struggles to hit the teenage digits. That purse could’ve been put into the 305 and truck division and maybe seen more growth there instead of beating a dead horse to keep that division afloat.

Obviously the largest gripe of his tenure is the loss of regional and national series sanctioning events. Although as racemak pointed out the purse of the Jim Ford Classic is substantial, you still are going to get the same 22 weekly guys plus maybe 15 regional drivers like Philo, Lee Jacobs, Trey Jacobs, Cole Duncan, Ryan Ruhl, Parker Price-Miller, maybe some 360 guys, and if you’re lucky someone the caliber of Tim Shaffer will come. But the issue is, casual fans don’t care about these local top dogs. I can’t even get my dad to drive an hour to Fremont to watch the race because “Attica is 35 minutes away, why would I go to Fremont to watch the same local guys race?”. And to me, that sums up why you need to bring in larger series. To bring in the casual fan or part-time fan.

All this being said, I’m glad the track is there and hope it continues for years to come. I’ll be at the Jim Ford Classic Saturday, it’s always an event I pencil in because you might get to see some tough outsiders come in.

As for the FAST series I’d be surprised if much changes with that. He’ll probably continue to own it and run it how it has been the past few years.
                2018 Race Counter: 22
                Atomic (1), Attica (7), Mansfield (3), Wayne Co. (2), Fremont (3), Montpelier (1), Eldora (1), Waynesfield (1), Kokomo (1), Limaland (1), 35 Raceway (1)

Comment

I agree with Swamp.

The naysayers got their wish. A year from now, they will probably be the same ones complaining about Farmer's replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by tk49 View Post
                    I agree with Swamp.

The naysayers got their wish. A year from now, they will probably be the same ones complaining about Farmer's replacement.
                    The naysayers didn't get their wish because if that was the case Fremont would have tried to the things they wanted.

You can blame the naysayers all you want, but attendance numbers speak for themselves with Fremont speedway and why attendance has been going down the last several years.

You can't just blame the fans, naysayers, and weather for every problem that Fremont has had.

Agree with GTiger55 with some of the issues with fans and Fremont.

Comment

Thanks Rich Farmer for a job well done Fremont Speedway. I should have said that in title of this thread and I'll say it to him in person if I get the opportunity this weekend. Will any of Farmer's detractors express their displeasure to him personally at the Jim Ford Classic? Rich Farmer defied Tony Stewart. I admire that.

Comment

I hope you guys don’t end up feeling like the folks in the Lernerville area do. They were all dying for a change in management, until the change came and they found out the grass isn’t always greener on the other side. I’m just saying, be careful what you wish for.

Comment

Yes be careful what you wish for.
                          WCS was a hugely successful track from the Jacobs to the Gross ownerships. SRO on most regular nights.
                          Then the Gross family sold it to Detillion who sold it to Phillips to Hess to Coffmans. Under the Hess and Coffman ownership the track finally died. Malcuit leased it for a year and started bringing it back to life but his hands were tied. Then it sat empty and sold to developer. Then it went to McIllvaine who having the Florys run it has been bringing it back to its former glory. The track had been let go and sadly needed lots put back into it which was a financial drain that most could not have done. I had often heard folks complain how it would be much better if someone besides Gross had it. They got their wish and folks said they never realized how great they had it under Gross until after they were gone and dealing with new owners.

Now we have a local track that we can brag about again.

Hopefully Fremont will be in well placed hands and does not downward spiral.

In the 80s and 90s the Fremont cars would travel to WCS when Fremont wasnt running and the WCS cars would travel to Fremont for the same. The fans also traveled making great shows at both tracks. Not so much anymore.

In some ways I feel the fast series also created the stay on the porch cars. The series was good to keep the cars at the tracks there and helped money wise in its day. Now I wonder if that has also hurt currently. When it was strong WCS and a few other Saturday tracks were no competition but now those tracks are. Have heard folks say it is a fast show so nothing special lets go to another track. For the money at Mansfield the fast show was disappointing. Car count not good. Over half the cars in field were WCS cars and a few all stars. Grandstands not good either. The show was well run. I think if Farmer actually takes fast on the road getting more tracks running those shows would make the series much healthier and grow it in these times. This may be the right time to really grow fast, get shows lined up and get the cars seen at other tracks to get people interested again. Need to go to Hilltop Millersburg and such.

Comment

Originally posted by racemak View Post
                            Thanks Rich Farmer for a job well done Fremont Speedway. I should have said that in title of this thread and I'll say it to him in person if I get the opportunity this weekend. Will any of Farmer's detractors express their displeasure to him personally at the Jim Ford Classic? Rich Farmer defied Tony Stewart. I admire that.
                            What does it matter he is gone after the Ford race do you think he will care if we the fans that are "detractors" tell him what we think he needs to do to make Fremont better and that is just it in most cases fans like Fremont and want to see it as it use to be or at least on par of what it was. Also won't be there since it is likely a local event with a higher admission price.

Sure does seem like some local feelings are hurt here and way to many people are sensitive around here as well.

Originally posted by Hot Dog View Post
                            I hope you guys don’t end up feeling like the folks in the Lernerville area do. They were all dying for a change in management, until the change came and they found out the grass isn’t always greener on the other side. I’m just saying, be careful what you wish for.
                            People can always scare people and do the "trump thing" of trying to make people scared or doom and gloom everything, but who knows maybe it will be better just the same and people will see more series coming to the facility along with more people in the seats. There is always room for improvement and not one person is the savior or the only one that can run it as well. NOBODY knows at this time, but the fans can hope that the track will be better along with bringing in bigger shows, bigger series than just the FAST series that he was trying to make into a mini-all-star series.

In some ways I feel the fast series also created the stay on the porch cars. The series was good to keep the cars at the tracks there and helped money wise in its day. Now I wonder if that has also hurt currently. When it was strong WCS and a few other Saturday tracks were no competition but now those tracks are. Have heard folks say it is a fast show so nothing special lets go to another track. For the money at Mansfield the fast show was disappointing. Car count not good. Over half the cars in field were WCS cars and a few all stars. Grandstands not good either. The show was well run. I think if Farmer actually takes fast on the road getting more tracks running those shows would make the series much healthier and grow it in these times. This may be the right time to really grow fast, get shows lined up and get the cars seen at other tracks to get people interested again. Need to go to Hilltop Millersburg and such.
                            Since FAST has went to other tracks than Attica/Fremont the numbers have went down following them so if they continue down that path I don't see them gaining anymore cars/teams/drivers and probably be less if anything.

Yea seems like a lot of the Attica/Fremont cars seem to park themselves if those tracks aren't running during the weekend. Very rare do you see them going to Wayne County, Mansfield, or Eldora when Attica/Fremont went dark.
                            Last edited by DirtRacer42; 1 week ago.

Comment

DirtRacer, my point is that Farmer's social media detractors lack the courage to voice their criticism to him directly. Whether he cares about their opinion is another issue. You have made some observations and offered some criticism. What's your point? And what's a "trump thing"?

Comment

My thoughts on Fast.

By Fast expanding beyond Fremont and Attica, I could see new drivers signing up to run the series than just the F and A drivers. Your ones who dont travel will still not travel but there is a chance you will get new travelers.

Yes new promoters will come along, it is just the way things go. Some will be worse, some will make improvements and just maybe a super promoter appears.

I think everyone should be glad Rich Farmer kept Fremont up and running instead of going the Lakeville or Millstream or Mercer way.

Lakeville is a wonderful example of a promoter killing it.

I think we decided 4 maybe 5 tracks quit running halfway thru this season.

I just keep hoping tracks I like, the promoter does not give up or practices better stewardship to keep them competitive and profitable which is a very difficult task.

Comment

Working...
                                X