No announcement yet.

waynesfield october 6th

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kills me to hear tracks talking about struggling and announcing that they may not be back next year, when they only schedule around 16-18 races all year? You have to be OPEN to make $$$$!!! Also do they even think of the R-factor when they do their schedules? Most tracks struggle due to management issues and scheduling flaws (like I just mentioned) However most tracks do not have the equipment to even fight a rain situation, and that will put you behind the 8-ball every time.
    2018 Race Counter - Total- 32 + (Rainouts-17) Atomic-2, Attica-7, Eldora-10, Fremont-3, Kokomo-1, Limaland-2, Mansfield- 2, Waynesfield-4, Wayne County-1

Comment

Some tracks reduced schedules I believe due to lack of cars and grandstands.
      Some benefot from special events only.
      Some weekly may turn to specials only.

Comment

so true RRacer70 when tracks have lost money the year before instead of closing they cut their schedule back instead of closing, so once again the only way to keep these tracks open with full schedules is to support them

Comment

If everyone is famous, nobody is famous. If every race is a 'special', no race is 'special'.

Comment

Originally posted by Saphead View Post
            If everyone is famous, nobody is famous. If every race is a 'special', no race is 'special'.
            WOW! Saphead you are indeed a genius. I can't believe that promoters think that going to a "Special Events" track only is going to solve their problem. Mother Nature has been very cruel this year and some tracks are hurting. What happens to them if they only schedule 8 special events next year and 4 of them get rained out? Did they make better money and now are successful?

Promoters need to provide quality entertainment at a decent price and run a timely program. There is the start of becoming successful. Way too many times I have traveled long distances to see a special events show that is advertised as a 7:30 PM start. You get there and they are still screwing around with hot laps and qualifying the other local classes. An hour or more later they play the National Anthem and are ready to start the program. Then they run all of the local stuff including features thus holding us there until way too late in the evening/early morning. I don't travel long distances and pay premium dollars for a ticket to see the local hero in the street stock, hornet, bomber, or Detroit Iron division.

Now off of my soap box and back to regular scheduled programming.

Comment

Mansfield is a special events only track and is quite successful.

I always felt Eldora was also a more special events venue too.

Comment

Originally posted by RRacer70 View Post
                Mansfield is a special events only track and is quite successful.

I always felt Eldora was also a more special events venue too.
                Neither of these tracks were running weekly shows and then decided to run special events only. Eldora has longevity behind them while Mansfield is still rather new. Mansfield has some issues to correct but if they can accomplish that, they should be fine just the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Mud Packer View Post

Neither of these tracks were running weekly shows and then decided to run special events only. Eldora has longevity behind them while Mansfield is still rather new. Mansfield has some issues to correct but if they can accomplish that, they should be fine just the same.
                  I would say both of you are right in a way. You don't necessarily need to have a "weekly program" per se, but I also think only having a schedule from mid-late April & end early September leaves you vulnerable. Like someone said, you have to be open to make $. If you have a year like this with multiple rain outs, the ability to make money shrinks even more.

I went to 2 races this year at Waynesfield, All Star race in May, and the Fast race in July. Both were great shows, seemed well attended as well and they were I guess "special events."

I always thought around here tracks would benefit with opening or at least scheduling in March just in case the weather is good which it can be. Then again, I don't Know what that entails as far as insurance & other losses. I always say though, it's not my money to spend so I just try to so up to as many tracks & races as I can a year. Waynesfield is a racey track and I think it would benefit from a few more special type shows

Comment

Originally posted by Racechasser View Post
                    Kills me to hear tracks talking about struggling and announcing that they may not be back next year, when they only schedule around 16-18 races all year? You have to be OPEN to make $$$$!!! Also do they even think of the R-factor when they do their schedules? Most tracks struggle due to management issues and scheduling flaws (like I just mentioned) However most tracks do not have the equipment to even fight a rain situation, and that will put you behind the 8-ball every time.
                    Agree completely with starting earlier and also finishing later in the year as well. Heck we have seen the past couple of years that February has actually been better than March or April temperature wise a lot of times. We have also seen it being very cold which those dates can easily be cancelled even a week ahead of time if the extended forecast is somewhat accurate. We have seen a lot of other tracks in other parts of the country extend their racing season as well which we have seen a lot of decent days/nights into October as well or would be nice to see some tracks go to a earlier time whether it be the start of the season or end of the season, possibly even changing up the dates like using a Sunday afternoon time for example.

Funny when you mention that some tracks don't have the equipment to even fight the rain. I either live close or drove to tracks that seen very little rain the day of event, but was cancelled. Guess they thought fans wouldn't come if it rained 6-8 hours earlier in the day. The funny thing is don't fans expect tracks to put water down on the tracks and vice-versa and seems a lot of fans especially out of the state believe Ohio tracks rarely put water on their tracks anymore besides right before the races which seems to be accurate with some tracks for sure.

Of course always easier to say from the sidelines when you got no skin in the game, but you have to think having more events would/could give you a opportunity to make more money as well and at least help when you have a run of rain-outs like we saw this year on Friday and Saturday nights.

Comment

sprint14 if you was at the july 3rd race at Waynesfield you know how much rain they got around the track but not at the track, I know many race teams and fans that didn't come because of the chance of rain. that's what hurts a lot of tracks anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by luvwings View Post
                        sprint14 if you was at the july 3rd race at Waynesfield you know how much rain they got around the track but not at the track, I know many race teams and fans that didn't come because of the chance of rain. that's what hurts a lot of tracks anymore.
                        I do remember that actually. It was the weirdest thing because it seemed like the rain circled the track the whole night. We could see it raining on the street before the pits but I don't think it hit the track. The crowd still seemed good for a Wednesday night and the car count was about what I expected. Of course to a promoter the crowd is always needs to be bigger. I'm sure their were some people that stayed away because of rain & it is something that is out of the tracks control.

I'm sure that is part of the reason why some tracks cancel early because they know there are people that won't come if there is even a threat of rain. So why bother paying a purse when you don't have Tix sales to support it.

Comment

That is true. People watch the weather channel and weather apps and if it even looks like rain they wont come.
                          That is why tracks cancel these days.
                          Around 15 years ago people went not relying on social media weather but actually the tracks info.

Comment

I have been at the race tracks when there is 85% of rain and have got nothing and then 5% and its pouring social media with the weather has hurt many crowds.but I do get it because I have been guilty of it myself

Comment

Technology is a good thing but can be bad at times. I always check the weather the day before and of in order to weigh my options. Typically I'm traveling about 2hrs to any track so it would be a huge bummer to drive all that way and not see the full show. A lot depends on the track, Eldora and even Attica I am more likely to take more risk than others due to efficiency of the program and equipment.

Really the biggest problem to any track can be the fans. Certain fans that are never happy and go on social media and criticize everything that night. Yes there are times that tracks might be dusty, locked down, single lane, run long, etc. But there are people that go overboard with their criticism and have no problem spewing it on social media & message boards.

I typically never leave the track disappointed even if a driver I don't like wins. Some shows have been better than others but I have never uttered the words, I should have just stayed home. I guess if we did a better job of complimenting from time to time instead of criticizing things might be better. Being a promoter these days seems like a damned if you do damned if you don't business

Comment

It did that again at The Field where you could see it just pouring rain by 196 & by the town.

Comment

Working...
                                X