Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weekend Outlook 9/27-9/29

Weekend Outlook
    -A postponement led to the World of Outlaw Late Models spring fling at Atomic now being a fall brawl, with an $8k to win show on Friday night and a $10k to win show Saturday this is a can't miss for late model racing fans. The battle for the points championship in the WoOLMS has really heated up lately with Mike Marlar holding a slim 4 point advantage over Chris Madden. Defending champ Brandon Sheppard trails by 40 points in 3rd place, and Dresden Ohio native Devin Moran is 198 markers back in fourth place. These two races are the final Outlaw late model races prior to the season finale at the World Finals in Charlotte. However, late models are not the only big race on the card this weekend at Atomic Speedway. Due to rainouts earlier in the year, the $5k to win modified mayhem event will take place Saturday and is one of the highest paying Modified races in the state each year. You can certainly expect a plump field of cars in each of these two divisions. Both nights will have Late Models, Modifieds, and Sport Mods on the card.

-Oakshade Raceway hosts its final race of the year highlighted by topless late models. The event will feature the full card of usual classes (see below) at Oakshade and it will be interesting to see if anyone can knock off back to back track champion Devin Shiels or the dominant Rusty Schlenk off the top spot with the top off.

-Skyline Speedway hosts the OGVC Freedom 30 Steel Block late model feature in which the winner will receive a provisional into Skyline's most prestigious event of the year, the Harvest 50. Also on the card are super late models, modifieds, sport mods, and compacts. The folks over there seem to be doing their best to revive this track into prominence, though I'm not in the area I think this would be a good track to support and from video's I've seen has been a racy track.

-The last night of racing will fall on the little bullring of 35 Raceway park with Pepsi season championship night Saturday night. The track has some pretty damn good racing and is a rough looking gem out in the country, with only $12 general admission for about 80 cars across the divisions it's worth the visit if you're anywhere nearby.

-Indiana USAC tripleheader: This weekend is a big weekend on Ohio's western border. Thursday kicks off the action with the rescheduled Kokomo Smackdown taking place with the USAC Sprints and the BOSS sprints in a non points race as a support division. Friday night the USAC sprints head back to Gas City for the first time since it's revival this season after rain postponed their first attempt earlier in the month. The season championships across all divisions will also be on the line at the race dubbed as the James Dean Classic. There is a tight battle and an interesting storyline shaping in the non-wing sprints, with the Missouri native Clinton Boyles aboard the Paul Hazen 57 leading former Hazen sprint driver Shane Cottle aboard the 71P machine. Whether their is a little more motivation for Cottle to try to beat his old car for the title only he knows, but I'd imagine this race with the USAC sprints sprinkled in could be a fantastic competition across the field. The last race is USAC's Lawrenceburg's Fall Classic paying $10k to win. Although the car count has dipped in recent years at the event, a strong field of sprints can be expected at the fantastic facility of the track known to many simply as "The 'Burg".

-BOSS Winged Sprints return with a rescheduled event at Montpelier Motor Speedway and look to have an even stronger field than on the initial scheduled date. A great field of cars can be expected for this event, with Ohio locals such as Travis Philo and Lee Jacobs expressing interest in the race via twitter. Along with the strong group of locals in Wimmer, Armstrong, Kody Kinser, Thomas, and some young up and comers trying to make the switch to wings a varied field of experience versus bravery will shape up at the tiny bullring. This marks only the 5th winged 410 race at Montpelier in the tracks storied history and I believe this event is a can't miss. In addition to the sprints, the season championships are on the line at Montpelier as well, with Midgets, Modfieds, and 3 different stock divisions in support to battle for their title. To note: Start times were moved up. Gates open at 1, Hot Laps are slated for 4, and Racing at 5.

-The last big race within reasonable distance going on this weekend is the finale of the Berlin Goes Dirt series for this year. If the event didn't conflict with Indiana, this would have been the event I'd attend this weekend. Featuring the American Ethanol Late Model Tour and the Modified tour, as well as the Sprints On Dirt at one of the premier (usually) pavement facilities located in the mitten. There are a bevy of bonuses for those competing in the SOD race and the Michigan based Lane Racing team driven by Cap Henry will be one of the FAST locals in attendance. I would not be surprised to see some others make the tow north as well.
    • September 28th
      • Atomic Speedway – WoO Late Models, Modifieds, Sport Modifieds
    • September 29th
      • Atomic Speedway – WoO Late Models, Modifieds, Sport Modifieds
      • Oakshade Raceway – Late Models, Sportsmans, Stocks, Compacts
      • Skyline Speedway – Late Models, Steel Block Late Models, Modifieds, Sport Mods, Compacts
      • 35 Raceway Park – Modifieds, Sport Modifieds, Modlites, Stocks, Compacts, 4cyl Stocks, Enduro

2018 Race Counter: 24
    Atomic (1), Attica (7), Mansfield (3), Wayne Co. (2), Fremont (3), Montpelier (2), Eldora (1), Waynesfield (1), Kokomo (1), Limaland (1), 35 Raceway (1), Gas City (1)

Ill be at Thunder Mountain this weekend. 4k and 7k to win latemodels. Good field of cars already committed. Doug drown, chub frank, boom briggs, doug eck, matt lux, greg oakes, charles powell, and jared miley.

Comment

Since I forgot to mention in the opening post.

My weekend plans are Gas City Friday and Montpelier Saturday. Camping out and gonna visit Oubache State Park while we're out there. My fiance is finally getting dragged along this weekend so lucky her!
      Atomic (1), Attica (7), Mansfield (3), Wayne Co. (2), Fremont (3), Montpelier (2), Eldora (1), Waynesfield (1), Kokomo (1), Limaland (1), 35 Raceway (1), Gas City (1)

Comment

In my opinion its terrible that there isn't a 410 race between Indiana and central,pa this weekend. I mean I get fall is coming but its still September...... Someone could of cashed in on a show.

Comment

Originally posted by mudinmybeer View Post
          In my opinion its terrible that there isn't a 410 race between Indiana and central,pa this weekend. I mean I get fall is coming but its still September...... Someone could of cashed in on a show.
          I’m not certain but I believe this Saturday at atomic was a regular show for sprints but due to the outlaw postponement the sprints were removed from the card.

Comment

Ill be sitting this weekend out with work and the races all 3 hour drives does not work.

Comment

Thank's to Fremont's many rainouts and limited August schedule, I've been to Oakshade a lot this season. The Oakshade LM's are topless for this final race of the year. Barberton Speedway has its Cavalcade Sunday afternoon. Its a possible, and its pavement. Watching the Browns at the Old Dutch Tavern is also an option. At 1-1-1, The Browns currently have a better record than the Patriots. I'm jumping on the Browns bandwagon if they win.

Comment

Originally posted by racemak View Post
                Thank's to Fremont's many rainouts and limited August schedule, I've been to Oakshade a lot this season. The Oakshade LM's are topless for this final race of the year. Barberton Speedway has its Cavalcade Sunday afternoon. Its a possible, and its pavement. Watching the Browns at the Old Dutch Tavern is also an option. At 1-1-1, The Browns currently have a better record than the Patriots. I'm jumping on the Browns bandwagon if they win.
                I actually went to the cavalcade a couple years ago My wife had to go to a hairshow for her business in Cleveland which left me in Cleveland for 9hrs on a Sunday alone and I saw they were having a show. Granted I went to the event with no expectations but it was a pretty good event. I had no complaints and some racing is better than none even if it is asphalt.

I actually don't mind going to asphalt tracks either. Grew up going to Columbus motor Speedway before I went to dirt tracks. Some day hope to go to Winchester & the snowball derby

Comment

GTiger..looking to hit Montpelier Saturday. Will have orange Federated Auto Parts hat on with STAC Racing shirt. Tailgating in lot before. Look me up...Party of 4 from Michigan.

Comment

Weekend in Review

So the fiance and I took the pups with us to go to Eastern Indiana for the weekend to go to two races and camp. We headed out around 1:30 for our a little over 2 hour drive to the Bluffton/S. Fort Wayne KOA to stop off and relax a bit before continuing on to Gas City later in the evening. For anyone who happens to follow me on twitter, you saw that we got sidetracked a little bit on that trip. Our right rear blew heading west on 24 and whatever jackwagon had done the wheels on the Jeep (My fiance's vehicle) before we were together impacted the lug nuts on so tightly that I bent the tire tool trying to get them off. Ended up waiting on AAA service to come finish the change, and the guy had to use his full weight standing on a 4-bar to get the lug nuts off. Regardless, finally got it changed and the spare took us in to Indiana and we arrived at the KOA around 5:40 or so.

Racetime. We headed out to Gas City later than expected due to the delay and pulled in just in time to see the USAC qualifying and get some concessions. The track was SUPER heavy to start the night and the mud clods were a flying into the stands as they went off. My fiance commented that she wasn't aware she didn't need to have an umbrella here. 33 cars signed in for the USAC sprints 24 Modifieds, 14 super streets, 14 thunder cars, and 10 compacts were also on the card. The Sprints put on a whale of a show and the track was absolutely perfect for the non wings. The mods put on a good show in their heats as well. The usac feature had Isaac Chapple fend off KTJ for the majority of the feature and I really thought he was gonna be able to hold him off. However, after a late race restart KTJ took the Hoffman 69 back to victory lane and CJ Leary finished in second. Those were the only two cars to "finish" as a caution and a red came out on the final lap after they had crossed, resulting in the remaining cars being scored based on the final lap. Thusly leaving Chapple in third after contact in the final corner caused him to drop back a few spots. This was the largest crowd that gas city has had this season. I would also like to note, I saw promoter Jerry Gappens knocking mud off the chicken wire behind the fence in between hot laps and racing action which was pretty neat to see the promoter out there working his ass off to make the event great.

Saturday evening we headed over to nearby Montpelier Motor Speedway for their season championship and the BOSS winged series make up event. A HUGE car count showed up for every single class, with all divisions except for the super streets and compacts having B-Mains. 29 sprints, 28 modifieds, 15 super streets, 28 thunder cars, and 33 midgets. The racing was fantastic all night long although the 5PM start time ended up being about 6:45 by the time racing actually commenced. Great field of cars for the 410s, about half of the field was Ohio drivers. Cole Duncan ended up with the win after a long battle with fellow Ohioan Lee Jacobs.

Comment

Just a quick follow up on both Gas City and Montpelier. Jerry Gappens is the new promoter at Gas City this year. He has had a very tough year weather wise so it was nice to hear that they had a great crowd on hand as well as a nice car count. He has done a great job in his first year and I can only hope he will consider continuing on next year as well.

Harold Hunter at Montpelier normally runs a very good show as well. They are normally very prompt on starting on time since they have a racing curfew in place. I don't know what the issue was Saturday night but I can assure you that that isn't the normal procedure. Glad you enjoyed both of the shows.

Comment

Originally posted by Mud Packer View Post
                        Just a quick follow up on both Gas City and Montpelier. Jerry Gappens is the new promoter at Gas City this year. He has had a very tough year weather wise so it was nice to hear that they had a great crowd on hand as well as a nice car count. He has done a great job in his first year and I can only hope he will consider continuing on next year as well.

Harold Hunter at Montpelier normally runs a very good show as well. They are normally very prompt on starting on time since they have a racing curfew in place. I don't know what the issue was Saturday night but I can assure you that that isn't the normal procedure. Glad you enjoyed both of the shows.
                        Both times I’ve been at Montpelier they’ve not even been close to being done at 11 (curfew). Started late (acceptable in my opinion due to car counts) on Stated race time.

Comment

Originally posted by GTigers55 View Post

Both times I’ve been at Montpelier they’ve not even been close to being done at 11 (curfew). Started late (acceptable in my opinion due to car counts) on Stated race time.
                          Unfortunately we haven't been to Montpelier as much this season as in past years. I'm sorry to hear that they started late and ran past the 11:00 PM curfew. Weather has plagued them big time this year as I know for sure out of the first 12 scheduled shows, they ran 3 and got rained out of 9. I personally hate it when the show doesn't start close to the scheduled start time. It just makes the whole evening run late and you start losing fans as well.

Here is hoping that they can get this corrected so as not to be known as a track that doesn't care about when they start or finish. We plan on hitting Montpelier at least one more time this year. I guess we will see.

Comment

I'm gonna support Waynesfield sat. night.

Comment

Working...
                            X