Greg Wilson

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greg Wilson

I’d like to first say that I respect and admire any driver who competes at any level. Greg was (before I really got into racing much) one of the better locals and a multi-time champion of the all stars. He had a great run at Eldora loving from deep in the pack up to third on Friday. However over the course of the last two years it’s fairly evident that the only tracks he’s ever competitive on are dry slick tracks. Eldora, Oshweken, and Charlotte namely on the WoO tour. Through this weekend he’s grossed $62k in winnings on the outlaw tour (excluding tow). I have no idea how much sponsorship money he gets from Hercules Tire et al. And if it’s a must that he runs the outlaws to keep that sponsor.

My point is, when is enough enough? It seems that he just either doesn’t have competitive equipment or the ability to compete with the outlaws on a regular basis. Not that I could do any better, but it seems that owning his own team that the finances can’t be easy to manage as well as the emotional toll getting your butt whipped night in and night out does. I like the guy and love his passion, I just think he might be better suited to return to the All Stars. Wouldn’t mind seeing another good car around here anyways.
    2018 Race Counter: 24
    Atomic (1), Attica (7), Mansfield (3), Wayne Co. (2), Fremont (3), Montpelier (2), Eldora (1), Waynesfield (1), Kokomo (1), Limaland (1), 35 Raceway (1), Gas City (1)

Money and sponsorship.

Got to think Hercules wants a WoO tour since they go coast to coast where there All-stars is a regional series and the money gets us probably a good chunk of change and would have to be cut in half for the All-star tour and not sure that would make either the sponsor or the team happy.

I agree that Greg would likely do better with the All-Stars and likely that will be a option down the road. I believe he is doing the WoO tour for several reasons; family is young and can travel with him, sponsorship probably wants it, and was his dream to run the WoO series.

Money-wise he might be able to make more money running the All-stars on a nightly basis per the purse and where he might end up, but factor in tow money which I thought was 800 a race along with a huge point fund even for a top 10 team makes the WoO tough to beat even though you get your head beat in a lot of the times.

Last point is with young family you can travel together and see the country like very few families can do and that has to be a awesome experience even though the WoO tour is so tough both mentally and physically.

The same could be said about several other teams such as Jason Sides, Kraig Kinser, Jacob Allen, and even Brent Marks likely would do better on a All-Star type series, but this is their chance to run the WoO's and good for them.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtRacer42 View Post
      The same could be said about several other teams such as Jason Sides, Kraig Kinser, Jacob Allen, and even Brent Marks likely would do better on a All-Star type series, but this is their chance to run the WoO's and good for them.
      I agree with Jason for sure. Jason used to be very competitive with outlaws but from listening to interviews and such it seems like racing has turned into a 9-5 for him. Jacob will stay because he's the second car that helps keep Schuhart on the road, and he has actually improved quite a bit and is in a tight battle with Kinser for the 10th spot. Marks is pretty dang good he's got 3 wins is his own equipment on the world of outlaws this year. He's an up and comer and I think will be one of the staples in the top 10 for years.
      Atomic (1), Attica (7), Mansfield (3), Wayne Co. (2), Fremont (3), Montpelier (2), Eldora (1), Waynesfield (1), Kokomo (1), Limaland (1), 35 Raceway (1), Gas City (1)

Comment

I feel that my original post may be misunderstood in that this was not meant to bash Greg Wilson in any way. My point which may not have came across is that I hate to see drivers put so much blood, sweat, and tears and not ever reap the benefits. He's a very talented driver who's trying to compete in a tour in which only the "power" teams really ever can truly compete. The day's of self funded cars competing in the World of Outlaws and garnering top 5's in points is all but passed. Donny Schatz will probably be the last driver aboard a family owned team to ever win the championship. I suppose my mindset is I'd want to go race where I felt that the apple was just a little bit easier to reach.

I apologize if any of what I said above came out and rubbed anyone the wrong way as that was not my intent. I will not redact the statement as I said the words and I don't feel it's right to try and hide them.

Comment

Ive heard rumor that Greg will be back on the All Star Tour next year, but you know how rumors are. Also hearing that Reutzel will be an Outlaw next year.
          2018 RACE COUNTER: 49

Volusia - 3, Attica - 12, Atomic - 4, Wayne County - 10, Mansfield - 3, Hilltop - 1, Waynesfield - 3, Eldora - 6, Sharon - 2, Thunder Mountain - 1, Fremont - 2, Montpelier - 2

Comment

Originally posted by am0ti View Post
            Ive heard rumor that Greg will be back on the All Star Tour next year, but you know how rumors are. Also hearing that Reutzel will be an Outlaw next year.
            That wouldn't surprise me. I think Reutzel would easily be a top 10 WoO team but I sure wish he'd stay with the all stars. Would love to see that roster stay strong for the races close to home. 9 wins in their first year as a team running a lot of tracks for the first time... You would think they could come close to 20 wins in 2019. Plus the ASCoC schedule is friendly in terms of allowing their drivers run other big paying shows.

Hopeful 2019 All Stars:
            Kemenah
            Reutzel
            Macedo
            Wilson
            Shaffer
            Blaney
            McMahan
            Zearfoss
            Smith
            Price-Miller

Reutzel and Macedo more than likely WoO tour bound but I'll keep my fingers crossed on Wilson and Shaffer.

Comment

Reutzel WOO Macedo WOO Price Miller ?? Wilson?? Zearfoos ?? Blaney?? Schaffer?? McMahan?? Smith?? So that leaves Kemenah as a for sure as long as the ride is there.

Comment

Originally posted by DERF View Post
                Reutzel WOO Macedo WOO Price Miller ?? Wilson?? Zearfoos ?? Blaney?? Schaffer?? McMahan?? Smith?? So that leaves Kemenah as a for sure as long as the ride is there.
                Rumor mill is Ruetzel to WoO, Macedo to WoO, Wilson to ASCoC, Kemenah's ride is selling out, Destiny has hinted at WoO again possibly, and Blaney not happy with his deal. Im sure Shaffer will do the same as past years.
                2018 RACE COUNTER: 49

Volusia - 3, Attica - 12, Atomic - 4, Wayne County - 10, Mansfield - 3, Hilltop - 1, Waynesfield - 3, Eldora - 6, Sharon - 2, Thunder Mountain - 1, Fremont - 2, Montpelier - 2

Comment

Destiny said something about hiring truck driver for rest of season and the outlaw tour next year so I’d assume that meant they’re running outlaws.

Comment

Originally posted by GTigers55 View Post
                    I feel that my original post may be misunderstood in that this was not meant to bash Greg Wilson in any way. My point which may not have came across is that I hate to see drivers put so much blood, sweat, and tears and not ever reap the benefits. He's a very talented driver who's trying to compete in a tour in which only the "power" teams really ever can truly compete. The day's of self funded cars competing in the World of Outlaws and garnering top 5's in points is all but passed. Donny Schatz will probably be the last driver aboard a family owned team to ever win the championship. I suppose my mindset is I'd want to go race where I felt that the apple was just a little bit easier to reach.

I apologize if any of what I said above came out and rubbed anyone the wrong way as that was not my intent. I will not redact the statement as I said the words and I don't feel it's right to try and hide them.
                    You calling him a C-Class Driver???? ( in your guy webb voice)

Comment

So Hunters 10H is getting out of racing for 2019?
                      I did see they werent getting the wins and top 5s this year.
                      Pete Grove 70 not doing for Blaney?
                      This will make an interesting 2019.
                      See Kemenah is 3rd in points and Blaney is 5th which is really good.
                      Last edited by RRacer70; 3 weeks ago.

Comment

Kemenah will get his spot back now that the youngsters are heading to the WOO .. Back to the same ole same ole... This years ASCoC was fun to watch

Comment

Macedo per the rumor mill is going to the KLR 2 team. Johnny Gibson hinted at the Grove that Zearfoss/Destiny was going to the WoO at least to start.

Wilson is probably better off in the All stars as well as Kraig Kinser.

Comment

Working...
                          X